Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ani - The City of 1001 Churches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ani - The City of 1001 Churches
    Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 20:04
Ani was the capital of Bagratid Armenian Kingdom from about 9-11 centuries, is now located in north-eastern Turkey, very close to the Armenian border. It was an example of a mega-polis of the Medieval Ages, with a population of more than 100,000 (in comparison London had about 18000-20000 inhabitants, Paris is thought to have had 40-60 thousand.

The city was pillaged by the invading Seljuks, after Armenians (allied with Byzantium) lost the battle of Manzikert. However, the greatest blow to the city came with the invasion of Lenk Timur, and the once glorious city became reduced to rubble.

http://www.virtualani.org/citymap.htm

Edited by mamikon
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 17:00
     What I found most interesting is a building in Ani which is a great fusion of Seljuk and Armenian architecture. Its a Seljuk mosque built with Armenian volcanic rock called "Doof". Its trippy because a great number of Armenian churches are built with this rock, so its interesting to see it on a mosque.

Ani's Seljuk Mosque:

And an Armenian cathedral built with the same rock, so you can see the similarities:

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 05:20
Originally posted by mamikon

The city was pillaged by the invading Seljuks, after Armenians (allied with Byzantium) lost the battle of Manzikert.

Armenia was conquered (by force or willingly (cause of  the threat of Seljuks)
some years before Mantzikert.
Basil II the Bulgar-slayer conquered "Havtzitzi" (Bingol Dag) in 1001 and reached Vaspurakan in 1022.
Ani was captured in 1045.
Of course there were Armenians in the rank of the Byzantine army of Mantzikert ,but they were not independent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 06:23

interesting...

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 15:26
Originally posted by Digenis

Originally posted by mamikon

The city was pillaged by the invading Seljuks, after Armenians (allied with Byzantium) lost the battle of Manzikert.

Armenia was conquered (by force or willingly (cause of  the threat of Seljuks)
some years before Mantzikert.
Basil II the Bulgar-slayer conquered "Havtzitzi" (Bingol Dag) in 1001 and reached Vaspurakan in 1022.
Ani was captured in 1045.
Of course there were Armenians in the rank of the Byzantine army of Mantzikert ,but they were not independent.

well yes, I said pillaged because it was not conquered, but continuously raided by the Seljuks. True, Ani was captured but the Byzantines, but it was not destroyed or greatly harmed, and it was still governed by Armenian Kings, tributary to the Byzantines. And some Armenian lands were not under Byzantine rule yet. After Manzikert most of those lands became part of the Empire of the Rum, until liberated by the Georgian branch of Bagratunis. I think the continuous internal division of the Armenian Kingdoms, and the constant wars/liberations against the Byzantines much weakened Armenia, as well as Byzantine (alongside the wars in Bulgaria, they failed to see the greater threat from the east), which made both suspectible to the invading Seljuks.

More about Ani:

even though I do not usually like to use Wikipedia, I dont have time to look for other sources, so here it goes.

In 1042 Michael V of the Byzantines started to harass the Armenians Kingdoms following his successor, Basil II. The attack on Ani failed, and the Byzantines left 20,000 dead at the walls of Ani. After the battle the Armenian General Vahram Pahlavouni crowned the Armenian King Gagik II. Defeating the Seljuks, Gagik II annexed Vaspurakan, at the behest of its people. A further attack of Byzantines was repelled. Gagik II was then invited to Constantinople, where he was captured and thrown in Jail. The Catholicos of Armenia rejected three substitutes for the throne, and as a result, Ani was granted to the Byzantines without a battle.

"The Byzantine occupation of Armenia resulted in catastrophic consequences for both sides, since the empire lost its natural link through which it was connected to the east. Until that point the Armenians had managed to withstand all assaults, but when Armenia lost its royal dynasty, everything else was lost as well."

-Alfred Rambaud

Edited by mamikon
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 18:25
Something is amazing me...why is the Ani's Seljuk Mosque destroyed or distressed? There are some traces of decay. And also when? By whom???
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 02:01
     Well, most of the buildings are destroyed in one way or another, not just the Seljuk mosque. There are a lot of reasons why its falling apart such as numerous invasions, time (1,000 years) and natural causes. Plus the Turkish government has never attempted to restore Ani (and other cities in eastern Anatolia).

For instance, the Church of the Redeemer in Ani was hit by lightning:

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 02:56
The main reason Ani fell to the Seljuks was because of the Byzantines, no doubt in my mind. One Armenian historian notes that in the mid 11th century the armies of Byzantium entered Armenia and reduced the land to waste. It was incredibly suicidal, Byzantium paid dearly for alienating the Armenian buffer state.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 03:09
Many historical buildings (including Muslim buildings) are neglected for a long time in Turkey. However, sometimes positive steps are taken. Armenian Church of the Holy Cross on the Island of Aghtamar on Lake Van is being restored by the Ministry of Culture under the supervision of an Armenian architect, Zakaryan Mildanoglu. I don't know if it's a successful restoration, though... 
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 07:23

OK I see..

I was just amazed because this building is a mosque and Armenia had been under Islamic rule many centuries. It seems to me illogical to be destoyed or distressed. Probably it`s because of some invasion from the Middle East- I don`t know. That`s why I asked

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 13:14
Ironically, the dynasty of Byzantium that captured Ani (well more like it was given to him) was  of Armenian descent...that Byzantine dynasty ended  25 years after Ani fell...

Edited by mamikon
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The main reason Ani fell to the Seljuks was because of the Byzantines, no doubt in my mind. One Armenian historian notes that in the mid 11th century the armies of Byzantium entered Armenia and reduced the land to waste. It was incredibly suicidal, Byzantium paid dearly for alienating the Armenian buffer state.

You're right, even though I think the division among Armenians was at least as significant as the Byzantine attacks. Out of all the enemies Armenia had, I'd say the Byzantines had the biggest hand in its downfall, but Byzantium had been trying to get its hands on Armenia for centuries, but only did so when Armenians were no longer unified. There were always squabbles among the Armenian kingdoms, but it was considerably worse after the death of King Gagik in 1020. His sons partitioned his kingdom and a long line of strong/influencial Bagratid rulers ended. The Armenian kingdoms subsequently fell one by one because there was no single ruler who could unify Armenia in the face of Byzantine pressure, new Seljuk presence, regional Muslim emirs and competing Armenian kingdoms. Some of the Armenian Kingdoms that subsequently fell were the Kingdom of Ani in 1045, Kingdom of Kars in 1064, Kingdom of Lori in 1100, Kingdom of Siunik in 1166, and the principality of Khachen remained independent until about 1450.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply