Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:28

People who adhere to almost all religions, but in particular, Abrahamic religions are invariably corrupt, they believe that no matter what sin they opt to commit, simply repenting will redeem them in the eyes of the almighty and they will inevitably go to heaven!  The most evil people today are religious zealots, utter hypocrites from the likes of Iran's political mollahs to Western politicians like George Bush and his ilk to corrupt and/or perverted paedophilic priests, ministers, rabbis and emams.

Discuss.

Edited by Zagros
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:41
I can agree with you with most of the stuff. Some pagans are pretty crazy(like Gothics), but it does seem that non-religious are usually way more moral than religious people.

EDIT: Gothics, not Satanists

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 12:05

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I can agree with you with most of the stuff. Some pagans are pretty crazy(like Satanists), but it does seem that non-religious are usually way more moral than religious people.

But then you could argue whether Satanists are actually pagans. I would say that they are in fact a warped version of monotheists. Most of their ideology can actually be considered to be an Abrahamic heresy. I generally agree with the statement made above. Of course, there's also exceptions, but paradoxically, atheists and agnostics seem to have more moral restraint than  the people who preach it under the Abrahamic umbrella.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 12:53
Originally posted by Decebal

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I can agree with you with most of the stuff. Some pagans are pretty crazy(like Satanists), but it does seem that non-religious are usually way more moral than religious people.

But then you could argue whether Satanists are actually pagans. I would say that they are in fact a warped version of monotheists. Most of their ideology can actually be considered to be an Abrahamic heresy. I generally agree with the statement made above. Of course, there's also exceptions, but paradoxically, atheists and agnostics seem to have more moral restraint than  the people who preach it under the Abrahamic umbrella.

I've always considered Satanists to be a branch of mainstream christianity.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 13:09

All ideologies bring about change in accordance with that which they expound.

When good people hold any office they bring about positive change using any given vehicle of change. It is conversely true for the opposite.

Where u point out a redemption for the repentant you ignore the hell for those whose repentance is not accepted. That is y there exists also apprehension of the wrongdoers. There in is the obvious deterrent for those who may wish to go astray. Therefore it could be argued that the opposite is true for those who fear no apprehension in the hereafter and lack a deterrent.

In my view the ultimate deterrent in the world is enforceable laws which none should have the ability to circumvent. Extended obviously to international law. For i think that most state laws and international laws are actually pretty good, the problem is one of enforcement. As for the way forward it has to be ideologies based on secularism, even religious secularism. That ideal however is a looooooooooooooooooooooong way away.

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 13:28

Zargos, thats quite a generalization.

Of course as a Christian (just a Christian, not devout dont go to church ect) I disagree with all other faiths. If fact, if I didnt disagree with other faiths what would be the point of my faith? It's not arrogance to disagree with other faiths .

Atheists can be corrupt people as well. Just look at Communistic countries, there are a dime a dozen corrupt officials.

And lets drop the BS. Atheists (ald all others) can be arrogant b-tards. You think I have never heard Atheists poking fun at Christianity? Hell all of you atheists here probably do it. You probably say f---- God ect ect.

As human beings, were all the same. If I saw a Muslim man/woman in dire need of assistance I would rush over in a heart beat because its a human being. I can even br friends with people of other faiths. What they believe in is between them and their own consciousness no matter if I disagree.

Now are atheists better people? dont maker me laugh. What proof is there of this? Are most Christians willing to kill infidels because they dont agree with Christianity? What BS.

Edited by Loknar
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 14:35
     Many religious people, instead of respecting that everyone has their own path, still believe that their ideology is the right one not just for themselves, but for everyone. This is what bugs many non-religious people and atheists/agnostics. Also, organized religion leads many people to have faith in the actual institution rather than the teachings of that religion.

I don't think religious people are more prone to be "bad" people or anything, I just think that organized religion perverts many aspects of the actual teachings of that particular religion.

Originally posted by Zagros

People who adhere to almost all religions, but in particular, Abrahamic religions are invariably corrupt, they believe that no matter what sin they opt to commit, a simple repention will redeem them in the eyes of the almighty and they will inevitably go to heaven!

Ya, non-religious people generally don't believe in an afterlife or the egotistic idea of God forigiving you for anything and everything you do as long as its in his name. According to many people, a non-religious person who devoted his life to do good things will go to hell while someone who'se killed innocent people gets into heaven by simply accepting one prophet or another as God's publicist. The truth is that no one knows anything, so the best thing would be for people to keep their opinions to themselves and stop trying to publicize religion by passing their bias as fact...

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 14:45
Let's put the whole thing back on its feet.

Religion is never the cause, but always a symptom of the inadequacies of political and social structures.
The most evil people today are those that strive to perpetuate existing economic, social and political inequality and opression.
That some of them, mentioned above, use religion to justify their actions can be explained, amongst other things, via the history of all and especially the monotheistic religions as apologists for existing power-structures.
But religion is only one of the available ideologies that can serve that purpose, agnostic liberalism has long justified the capitalist society, as much as atheism was one aspect of authoritarian Stalinist regimes.

But then you can put it back on its head.
(Christian) Religion has also served on occasions as the binding context for some of the most radical attempts to create an equal and just society, without comforting its adherents on the redemption of the afterlife.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 14:48
Originally posted by Zagros

People who adhere to almost all religions, but in particular, Abrahamic religions are invariably corrupt, they believe that no matter what sin they opt to commit, a simple repention will redeem them in the eyes of the almighty and they will inevitably go to heaven!  The most evil people today are religious zealots, utter hypocrites from the likes of Iran's political mollahs to Western politicians like George Bush and his ilk to corrupt and/or perverted paedophilic priests, ministers, rabbis and emams.

Discuss.

I agree 100%.  Everything you say here is in complete concordance to how I feel.  Abrahamic religions are especially evil but Confuciansim is a close second.  All it is is a tool to repress creativity and hold society back for the benefit of the ruling cadre.

And communism counts as a religion Loknar.  Ive seen Mao's tomb and how he is worshipped.  The communist movement has prophets, blind followers and everything else.  Indeed, politics is a religion of sorts which is why I say never trust anyone with an non practical ideology.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 14:55
I sometimes feel sorry for christians when i imagine what i would tell them about it from my point of view. I imagine thy would cry or be morally crushed when they see their ignorance.

I personally believe you only become christian by tradition or at a moment of weakness and stupidity that takes away reasonable argumentation of logic. These moments are easily attainable for humans and many fall to the trap of religion. Especially when you live in Western Europe somewhere where you see science doing everything for you, you still go cry in Rome while looking a damn nazi wave at you from his castle while he is thinking of ways to burn all the condoms on Earth and how to turn gays into straight christians by magic.

Christianity is such a faulty philosophy, or lunacy as a better word for it, it is crazy to follow it. Brains electrical charges and chemical substances in your body that make you feel things isn't God damn it.

And yes i believe that christians are very different from commoners (atheists that is). I can pick out a christian when i hear half an hour of his/her talk. I have done a good job at that to this day. They are really different in speech. Not that they talk about the glory of God, they rarely do that at all, thats not the giveaway, but the being of their little selves. They are overly welcoming, smiling at everything and the overall aura of them is somehow noticable. They seem to be trying to show that they are welcoming to everything the society offers today and free minded, but you can see its not true.

As the Bible is impossible to follow as a path of life, it can't directly make anything better, and as christians hardly no much about their faith themselves, i admit it is fun to listen preaching and submit to the empty word of a holy father, but i don't think that gives much room for self thought. Looking at the Heavens before every damn decision in your life really hinders your liberty i think.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 15:52
Quite right Loknar, I deliberately generalised so as to provoke counter arguments such as yours and it has turned out rather well.  I will add my own thoughts when I get a little more time.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 15:57

I have to say you atheists are so damn funny. I honestly dont take you guys seriously. You sit back, swirling a glass of fine wine, and reminisce about how you feel so sorry for Christians....and how wrong they are...and how right you are.

You guys are a joke.

I am a historian just like you all are, I know about religions past. So basically, I dont need a lecture from all you atheists about how Im wrong.

Kalevipoeg

In many nations in this world, Christians are the commoners. It is you who are the minority. And how does the Bible restrict your liberty? And what do you know about the Bible?

If you knew anything at all youd know it was voluntary. It is a path you chose to go down, just as a Buddhist chooses their path (of course I notice how everybody kisses their ass because supposedly they are peaceful. Its actually a myth).

And everybody, I dont need your damn pity. I make my own choices.

And let me also explaion something else to you all...if it wasnt the ABrahamic faiths causing trouble, it's be another. It MANKIND that's the problem.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 15:58
Any kind of generalization is fascism.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 16:00
From what I can tell, all the posts are attempting to rationalize a non-rational issue. 

But thanks to free will, which is supposely divine, an individual can simply be content to follow and I don't believe we should fault them for that.  Not all of us are capable of leading others.  I suspect many would not bother getting out of bed in the morning if it weren't for some other-worldly reward for hard work and faith.

I guess my religion is science, since it's what I believe in to explain the unknown.  One answer always leads to another.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 16:17

I disagree with the assertion of the initial post.

I don't believe that a people's humanity, corruption, or hypocrisy results from a simple statement of adherence to a system of belief. I do believe that the way in which individuals engage their beliefs determines their overall character development.

For instance, I could call myself a Christian, but not go to church, not take communion, not study the Scriptures, and not pray. Would I truly be a Christian? The same holds for Christians (and others as well) who do not live their faith. For instance a cleric, if he abuses children, imbezzles money, or commits any other form of anti-Christian behavior is not living out his faith. There are disciplinary canonical measures in place to deal with these individuals (although I'll grant you that their application depends on the position and mettle of the church in which they are applied).

I also think that it is misleading to state that one can commit any sin and through a simple repentance be forgiven. While our sins can be forgiven, there is nothing simple about repentance. It isn't the simple mouthing of a prayer, but a real desire to change one's habits, indeed one's very life; a constant struggle with temptation on the path to theosis. While it is there, through the grace of God, for us to receive, forgiveness requires our active participation, not simply through legalistic acts, but through a true desire to conform to the divine image.

Finally, I think I might agree with you when you state that the most evil people today are religious zealots (although I disagree with the inclusion of the American president and certain other generalizations). However, was this always the case? Think back to Stalin and Mao. Still, it is a reasonable--and for that matter helpful--point to make. If we do not come face-to-face with our mistakes, we have absolutely no chance of rectifying them.

Anyway, that's just the opinion of this imperfect Christian in desperate need of forgiveness and strength along to the path of repentance and moral correction.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 16:21

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I sometimes feel sorry for christians when i imagine what i would tell them about it from my point of view. I imagine thy would cry or be morally crushed when they see their ignorance.

Ah, but you see you are assuming that we would be convinced of the validity of your position.

I personally believe you only become christian by tradition or at a moment of weakness and stupidity that takes away reasonable argumentation of logic. These moments are easily attainable for humans and many fall to the trap of religion.

I believe the issue her is two completely different perspectives. If you do not accept the premises of the Christian faith, then the beliefs of Christians might seem products of stupidity or weakness to you. However argumentation and logic are often applied in theology; read some of the canons and faith definitions of the Ecumenical Councils if you doubt me. Where you would probably like to leave the discussion is where we Christians limit the ability of inherently imperfect man to apply logic. This is the result of a belief in the incomprehensible nature of God. Once again, it requires the acceptance of certain premises, in exactly the same way an acceptance of any "truth" requires the acceptance of certain premises.

Christianity is such a faulty philosophy, or lunacy as a better word for it, it is crazy to follow it. Brains electrical charges and chemical substances in your body that make you feel things isn't God damn it.

Well there have been people who were characterized as "Fools for Christ", although I think that you and I would have different impressions of them.

And yes i believe that christians are very different from commoners (atheists that is). I can pick out a christian when i hear half an hour of his/her talk. I have done a good job at that to this day. They are really different in speech. Not that they talk about the glory of God, they rarely do that at all, thats not the giveaway, but the being of their little selves. They are overly welcoming, smiling at everything and the overall aura of them is somehow noticable. They seem to be trying to show that they are welcoming to everything the society offers today and free minded, but you can see its not true.

I would like to know in what sense you use the word commoner. If you are using it purely as a numerical classification you are applying it incorrectly. There are definitely more Christians than atheists in the world.

Also, I think that with true Christians you may be mistaking real love and generosity for what you seem to view as a conspiracy. By the way, how can one be "overly welcoming"? To what degree am I allowed to be kind?  

As the Bible is impossible to follow as a path of life, it can't directly make anything better, and as christians hardly no much about their faith themselves, i admit it is fun to listen preaching and submit to the empty word of a holy father, but i don't think that gives much room for self thought. Looking at the Heavens before every damn decision in your life really hinders your liberty i think.

It is, indeed, impossible for man to truly follow every aspect of God's teaching in the Scriptures; this is the very reason the Son was sent. To say that the Bible can't directly make anything better is patently untrue. Even if you don't subscribe to the forgiving nature of the Father, the redemptive power of the Son or the purifying energy of the Holy Spirit, you can still apply New Testament morality (love, forgiveness, generosity, communalism, etc.) as a system which would significantly improve the world.

As for your assertion that adherence to Biblical morality limits self-thought, I would counter that it inspires the application of self-examination which influences--and indeed completes--self-thought; in essence, it gives us a correct context for our thoughts.

As for liberty, there is a difference between the proper use of free-will and the reckless abuse of free will. God Bless.  (Uh-oh, I smiled. I gotta be less welcoming).

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 16:50

You cannot believe in free will and religion.  I used to be Christian and couldnt continue with it past age 11 because I saw all the logical flaws in what I beleived in.  I still went to church for a year after i stopped beleiving and the things I heard sounded more and more evil and twisted.  The bible passages where its okay to kill a son because he disobeyes his father, passages about idiotic standards of behavior, its all on the same level as Mein Kampf but because people believe in it they are incapable of looking at it objectively.

Everything I have seen in my worldwide study of history has shown that the more religion there is in the day to day workings of a society the less creativity and innovation there is.  Greater religion is tied to several other themes, backwardness, intolerance, greater influence of ideology rather than rational thought.

-Alexander Hamilton
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 17:10

Why do you say: "You cannot believe in free-will and religion?"

-Akolouthos

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 17:34

Because all organized religions are against free will.  They say that because you can do anything you have free will, but if you say that beleiving something else condemns you to hell but you can still do it is basically saying, no debate, no introspection just beleive or die. 

Tends to stifle self examnination and questioning of authority, which are two traits I find absolutely essential in the making of a smart, indipendant human being.

-Alexander Hamilton
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 17:57

Religion is Humanity's pleasure poison. It brings peoples ability to question without red lights down, way down, and suppresses it. Stampeding it like a crazed group of animals fearfull of its supposed evils. I despise religion and its whole facade. I will admit there are some very good religious people out there who you start to wonder if they would be as good without having a religion, but the masses of people would be better and more ethical people without religion. As Red clay once wrote religion is simply a political system. It is the false, which can benefit the world in some way. Religion is an immoral medium of exploitation. Think of the Vikings and the ancient Japanese. Where if you died as a warrior in battle you would supposedly attain a sweater afterlife then those without such action. King Philip of Macedonia, The Emperor of china.  Self-Acclaimed Gods. Religion impairs critical thinking and the possibility of a morale society. How can it be possible for a society to be morale if it does not understand the reason and consequences of its morale codes? Religion canot allow evolutionary understanding of its morale codes. One, because if it did the government of the church would no longer be seen as beneficial in that state. Two if such happened many followers would have such diverse opinions on the morale code that you could no longer sensibly categorise them under one religion. Three, such morale metamorphosis would simple as said above fragment the unity of the religion as well; therefore religion would no longer be a social group network. This social network is one of the reasons so many people love religion. It makes them feel part of something strong and at the same time above or superior which Leeds me on to my fourth point that the break up would cause controversy. Now it is the lack of major controversy of Religions morale codes that elevates them to such a high status. I experience a lot of people telling me that something has to be right because so many people adhere it. So you see, religion cannot let evolve its morale codes, hence it does not sponsor questioning, hence it does not produce a morale society otherwise it would lead to a road of self-destruction.

Atheists can be corrupt people as well. Just look at Communistic countries, there are a dime a dozen corrupt officials.

Its interesting but most commie atheists on average probably dont understand why atheism is better then having a theology (S). I'm sure the first Christians were more morale then the contemporary ones on average. Based on this the ideology that should be held high is not atheism or Theology but rather questioning. Forgot these two useless things they can become corrupted and infected with stupiunethigreedo easily, especially when one attains dominance of the political plain. Just teach people to question without mind boundaries. Thats whats important.

And communism counts as a religion Loknar.  Ive seen Mao's tomb and how he is worshipped.  The communist movement has prophets, blind followers and everything else.  Indeed, politics is a religion of sorts which is why I say never trust anyone with an non practical ideology.

Your right, in the end communism is another religion except the product type has been pealed of the box and replaced with a incorrect one. Communism is obese with properties of religion.

I have to say you atheists are so damn funny. I honestly dont take you guys seriously. You sit back, swirling a glass of fine wine, and reminisce about how you feel so sorry for Christians.... and how wrong they are...and how right you are.#

I feel sorry for humanity. I think you have misinterpreted atheism as an ego fair ride. I have cried because of religion, so dont express to me that the nature of atheism is so.

I personally believe you only become christian by tradition or at a moment of weakness and stupidity that takes away reasonable argumentation of logic.

Yea exactly, they get you when youre a little lamb, right when you see adults as wise knower of the world and when you lack a substantial amount of concepts to see their ideology flaws.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>