Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Symbols of medieval Queens and Royal Families

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symbols of medieval Queens and Royal Families
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:34
I found a photograph of one of King Tvrtko II Kotromanic's symbols. He was Bosnia's King and Queen Katarina Kosaca-Kotromanic took most of these tablets and symbols with her to Italy when she was exiled during the Ottoman conquest.

The snake is unusual in my mind, I've not seen much with that particular symbolism in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Bosnian Lily on the crown, though, is a clear symbol of the Kotromanic family and other Bosnian nobles. The star and crescent have nothing to do with Islam - but pagan Bosnians worshipped the sun (not a star) and moon and the symbols endured in Christian Bosnia under the Bosnian Church for quite some time. They're still important today, really - though this is mainly Islamic in nature.

I have no idea what the sideways heart refers to. This symbol is obviously Bosnian but the snake really throws me off. I've seen it in reference to Kotromanic with a flag pole-type symbol, wrapped around it, but never on its own. Until shown otherwise, I'm going to assume this is actually the symbol of an aristocratic Bosnian family, but not the Kotomanic family. I'd say a branch of the Kulenovic family or something?

I'd be interested to hear violentjack's and Bosniakum's views!
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:21

The lion and sun are the national symbole of Iran and also used for Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi's emblem. The lion or the "Leo Persica" was first the Mithras lion. Mithras sybolizes the sun.

Milos Obilic View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Milos Obilic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:21
the lilly symbol has been presented in Europe for 1000s of years. (can you tell me why the bosnian muslims adopted lilly as "their national symbol" of Bosnia??)
btw. the star and crescent have been always symbols of islam.

p.s. -  first time i see this photograph.

небески народ
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:40
Bosniaks didn't adopt the lily as their symbol, it's always been a symbol of Bosnians. Bosnian Catholics and Bosnian Eastern Christians consider themselves Croats and Serbs today, a process that began - according to National Geographic, in the 1900s:

Ethnic identity became important only in the mid-19th century, when nation-states centered on common ethnicities and religions began to emerge in the Balkans. Then, in Bosnia, if you were Catholic, you were automatically assumed to be a Croat, said Fine. If you were Eastern Orthodox, you were a Serb. This was the first time the labels Serb and Croat were used in Bosnia.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/kosovo/9606.html

So today, only Bosniaks, some Bosnian Croats, and members of the revived Bosnian Church in Tuzla associate themselves with the Lillium Bosniacum.
Milos Obilic View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Milos Obilic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:55
it is not correct, mila!

as we know Bosnia is historically Serbian land, and the so-called "bosniaks" (or however it's spelled) are the Serbian descentants who adopted lillies from the Serbian coat of arms - 4C.

небески народ
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 00:01
Serbia adopted the lillies during the reign of Bosnian King Tvrtko, if I remember correctly. The Bosnian use of the symbol was first among Croatians, Bosnians, and Serbians. The lily was also added to the city symbol of Ksit or whatever the hell the name of the city Jelena Subic was born in is.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 22:00
Oh God, they're saying the sun, dragon, and moon = the pyramids of the sun, dragon and moon. 
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 04:24

The Great Seal of the Komnenon- Angelid-Laskarid and Paleologid dynasties (1081-1453)

Edited by akritas
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 07:20
Originally posted by Mila

I found a photograph of one of King Tvrtko II Kotromanic's symbols. He was Bosnia's King and Queen Katarina Kosaca-Kotromanic took most of these tablets and symbols with her to Italy when she was exiled during the Ottoman conquest.

The snake is unusual in my mind, I've not seen much with that particular symbolism in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Bosnian Lily on the crown, though, is a clear symbol of the Kotromanic family and other Bosnian nobles. The star and crescent have nothing to do with Islam - but pagan Bosnians worshipped the sun (not a star) and moon and the symbols endured in Christian Bosnia under the Bosnian Church for quite some time. They're still important today, really - though this is mainly Islamic in nature.

I have no idea what the sideways heart refers to. This symbol is obviously Bosnian but the snake really throws me off. I've seen it in reference to Kotromanic with a flag pole-type symbol, wrapped around it, but never on its own. Until shown otherwise, I'm going to assume this is actually the symbol of an aristocratic Bosnian family, but not the Kotomanic family. I'd say a branch of the Kulenovic family or something?

I'd be interested to hear violentjack's and Bosniakum's views!
It has some similarity with the Garay coat-of-arms (a crowned wriggling snake with an golden apple in its mouth).

See:

Edited by Raider - 19-May-2006 at 07:24
 Post Reply Post Reply