Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Genocide: historical developement and necessity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genocide: historical developement and necessity
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 09:11
Posters Note.

A real potentialy 'flammer' of a topic................lets not make it that.. but examine if we can the psycho-historical-economic and political developement of the same......i fully realize this includes a nascent examination of the phenomena known as 'nationalism'....and that concept contrary to popular beleif is ancient........so lets be 'historian like' in the objective.....at least to the best of ones ability without bias and prejudice and flame.

An excellent overview is provided by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Genocide appears to be a regular and widespread event in the history of civilization. The phrase "never again" often used in relation to genocide has been contradicted up to the present day.

Determining which historical events constitute genocide and which are merely criminal or inhuman behavior is not a clear-cut matter. Furthermore, in nearly every case where accusations of genocide have circulated, partisans of various sides have fiercely disputed the interpretation and details of the event, often to the point of promoting wildly different versions of the facts. An accusation of genocide is certainly not taken lightly and will almost always be controversial. Revisionist attempts to deny genocides is, in some countries, penally repressed.

continues@  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide#Genocide_in_history
Curmudgeon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 16:50
Excellent post.

Ambitious goal.

Did not Jane Goodall find that genocidal behavior was evident in the chimpanzees she studied?  If true, this indicates that genocide is evolutionarily old (if indeed chimps and people share a common ancestor).

Perhaps those happy instances when we DON'T commit genocide is a measure of the humanity and maturity of our societies.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 18:17
I would argue that Genocides and similar suffering bring out the best in man. They also force us to evolve, shange and make life better or avoid a similar genocide- however this can ackfire and lead to another. For example the creation of Israel makes a new Jewish genocide impossible in Europe but has lead to a yet more unstable Middle East and threats of genocide from there.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 06:22
Originally posted by Dampier

I would argue that Genocides and similar suffering bring out the best in man.

I would argue that it brings out the worst in man. Horrible crimes and horrible suffering. Even if one is not morally inclined, genocide is even pointless from a practical point of view. In many genocides, some of the most outstanding and successful members of society had been uprooted and could not be replaced, not on the basis that they were detrimental to the state or its society, but on stupid notions of race or religion. Its basically using up state resources in order to destroy an entire people who play a role in the nation's cultural, intellectual and economic life, all for the sake of maniacal idealism. I'm not even treading on moral grounds here.

Genocides are usually characterized by regimes with nationalist agendas. The ideas which comprise radical nationalism (racism, supremacy, homogenous nation) have no correlation with reality, and thus their actions are just a manifestation of these overly idealistic wet-dreams.

Originally posted by Dampier

They also force us to evolve, shange and make life better or avoid a similar genocide- however this can ackfire and lead to another.

If genocide really forced humanity to evolve, we'd be gods by now. Without a doubt. So far it has backfired most of the time, according to these standards.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 17-May-2006 at 06:33
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 06:43
Originally posted by Lord Ranulf

Determining which historical events constitute genocide and which are merely criminal or inhuman behavior is not a clear-cut matter. Furthermore, in nearly every case where accusations of genocide have circulated, partisans of various sides have fiercely disputed the interpretation and details of the event, often to the point of promoting wildly different versions of the facts. An accusation of genocide is certainly not taken lightly and will almost always be controversial.
The Genocides that are known are often those in which the victims have in some form emerged victorious and the perpetrators have lost the war. The truely successful Genocide campaigns are rarely known and seldom brought to justice.

The phrase never again is a worn out cliche devoid of any meaning. Genocide goes on in Darfur even now as we speak - more than half a million have now lost their lives - will anybody lift a finger? The truth is that human life has no but absolute no value these days. We are like bugs and ants swarming this planet, and the death of a few million is mostly irrelevant to the Western Policy makers. Ideals of equality and the inviolability of human life are only embraced when there is a political gain in doing that.

Revisionist attempts to deny genocides is, in some countries, penally repressed.
I understand that denial can be very painful for the victims, but the suppression of revusioniest attempts by law is in my eyes simply a restriction on freedom of speech. If a historian attempts to deny the Jewish Holocaust or the Armenian Massacres it should certainly cost them their career and image, but absolutely not their freedom.

Edited by bg_turk - 17-May-2006 at 06:50
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 06:54
Name me a major crime that hasn't always been around.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 07:17
I should have said the truely successful Genocides are rarely known as such by the general outside public, certainly they would not escape  accute historians  

A few examples that are not regarded as acts of Genocide by the Western public or are almost unknown are:

-Hiroshima
If the Nazis had emerged victorious in the WWII for instance I am sure that today we would describe the Hiroshima bombing as an act of Genocide aimed at the destruction and collective punishment of this entire Japanese city.

-Ukraine
The artificial famine in Ukraine in 1932-33 whiche lead to the death of 7-10 million is little know in the West.

-Algeria
Also the French brutalities in Algeria during its war of independence where more than 2 million Muslims were evicted from their homes (held collectively responsible for the actions of Algerian rebells), many died during their exile to Tunisia and the Algerian hinterland of disease, starvation, and exposure. 1 million people died according to Algerians, whereas the French put the number at 350,000. This is not referred to as Gencoide in the west either. In fact very few westeners know about it.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 08:15
About 1 million French citizens (most who have actually never been to France) fled Algeria because of the guerilla warfare...thats 10% of the population...how is that different from Turks fleeing the Balkans during the Balkan wars Embarrassed
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 08:32
Originally posted by mamikon

...how is that different from Turks fleeing the Balkans during the Balkan wars Embarrassed
It isn't. But legally the French crime is more of a Genocide since it was comitted after the acceptance of the Genocide convention, whereas defining the Turkish crime against Armenians as Genocide would mean that we are to apply that convention retroactively.
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 09:51
excellent posts..genocide I also believe is an inherent part of human developement...probably dating to our cave man anscestors desire to maintain authority over what ever small luxuries they enjoyed vice their neighbors and the animals they fought to survive against.......

but in saying that I dont believe their is a justification of that nature as societies developed over the course of history.certainly after the age of 'modern man' ie. BC3000 and beyond.

The truth remains non the less that men will perpetrate it in an effort to maintain 'power' and in support of their designed agendas.

thanks for the commonsense approach and continue on....Smile
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 10:00

For a genocidal act I think there must be a long term cultural background.

A racist attitude towards a  group thats has devloped over time is seen.

Racism operates in unconscious minds, so genocide takes places in the extreme unconscious minds which brings the worst in human.

Also there has been a genocide concept anarchy recently. Any killing,any massacre is being called genocide.

In my opinion, calling everything genocide will not make things better, as it will spread this crime and thus reduce the extremity of Nazism.

One day in future,the students of history will argue:''Look, The Nazi Party can't be that bad. Everyone had done the same.''

To make matters worse, we see attempts which try to define events like genocide even that took place before the Holocaust. This is a automatical social response.

To my epilogue, I wouıld argue that the attempt to figure non-western states in terms of western history is not only fallacious,but also intelectually imperialist.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 12:44

Genocide mainly happens why? Many reasons, I will list a few I have thought of.

(1) There happen to be certain people within our species who find human beings as catalysts. Hitler used the hatred of the Jews as a catalyst for him-self to attain greater power. He united most of the Germans under him using a common enemy, and so to make his people fell their hatred is justified he defiles, slanders and converts the image of their enemy into that of a monster or fiend, that which should be vanquished from existence, those never meant to be.  Hitler gave hope to the masses of Germans, a key tool to unlocking supreme power. He made them believe in the possibility of a great and powerful Germany where Germans are the masters of the world. The superior race (This was the Germans supposed key, their natural superior blood)

(2) It happens out of fear of a possibility. During the Black Death Jews were burned and killed partially out of fear that they were the cause of the birth and continuation of the black death. They were its support.

They were also killed because a lot of Jews were moneylenders and one way for the people to get rid of their dept was to rid of their loaner. It was also a way to reap the profits of the Jews good. It's interesting because centurys later a famous and most horrific genocide occurs involving the Jews once more, and partially for the same reason. The Jews were part of society subset, the rich during WW2. Hitler and other non-Jewish German people could become wealthier due to their new owned former possessions of some Jewish people.

(3) The human drive to fit in within a group mixed with social cowardice. Humans will often participate in stimulating the birth of genocide purely to fit in with a group who holds this genocide righteous. It can also give the sensation of power and higher purpose to take a person (S) life.

In my opinion, calling everything genocide will not make things better, as it will spread this crime and thus reduce the extremity of Nazism.

I agree, as the saying somewhat goes, kill one, youre a murderer, kill millions, youre a conqueror, kill them all, youre a God!

Name me a major crime that hasn't always been around.

Theirs loads.
These are only a few main reasons why genocide occurs. I believe there are many, not only mere three. Smile
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:11

To my epilogue, I wouıld argue that the attempt to figure non-western states in terms of western history is not only fallacious,but also intelectually imperialist.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wholeheartedly agree and submit that examples from the 'east' in the historical developement of the phenomena.... must be treated in the context of that geo-physical regions...devlopement ...which of course in turn ....imo..... leads to sub-specifications and regions and the developement of nationalism as a prequisite natural byproduct of the defense of an ongoing growing culture/society.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:10
bg_Turk

Dont you think that if the aim of the French government was to remove Algerians from the face off the Earth they would have done so?

Do Algerians themselves even call the Independence war Algerian genocide? The Turkish government is just propagating those claims to get back to France for its recognition of the Armenian Genocide...people arent fools.

btw, search "Algerian Genocide" on google, how many links are Turkish?

Edited by mamikon - 17-May-2006 at 15:10
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:13
''Look, The Nazi Party can't be that bad. Everyone had done the same.''

what do you know...Hitler said something similar about the Armenians.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by mamikon

bg_Turk 

Dont you think that if the aim of the French government was to remove Algerians from the face off the Earth they would have done so?

Yes I do, and the French have indeed succeeded in removing a substantial part of that nation off the face of the Earth.

Do Algerians themselves even call the Independence war Algerian genocide?

Even if they do not use the word "Genocide" specifically, and  I do not know how else can you describe the death of around a million of their people, this does not make the killings less of a Genocide, as I am sure you know the defintion of Genocide better than me.  Maybe you would say it was a civil war because many French died too?

The Turkish government is just propagating those claims to get back to France for its recognition of the Armenian Genocide...

Of course Turkish motives for the recognition of the Algerian Genocide are polical as are the French ones for the recognition of the Armenian Massacres as Genocide. But the French should know better not to throw stones at others when they are sitting in a glass house. In my eyes the Algerian Genocide is no less of a Genocide than the massacres of Armenians in 1915-20 - and if the French insist that Turkey in order to join Europe should face its history, swallow the tremendous human loss for the muslims and recognize only the deaths of Armenians as a Genocide, then they as members of the EU should set an example for "backward" Turkey to follow and should treat the massacres against Algerians on the same level as they expect massacres against Armenians to be treated. After all the life of every human being is equally valubale, or is it not?

Edited by bg_turk - 17-May-2006 at 16:06
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 16:03
what do you know...Hitler said something similar about the Armenians.

Like "who remember armenians now?"
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 16:28
Yes I do, and the French have indeed succeeded in removing a substantial part of that nation off the face of the Earth

What are the official numbers of the Algerian dead in the Algerian Independence War? How much was the population?

both the Holocaust and the Armenian genocide removed almost 99% of the population from the respective countries?

If the French intent was genocide, then they would have destroyed all off the Algerians or almost all, they had the capability. In contrast with the Bosnian genocide, the Serb commanders did plan Genocide but could not carry out to a grand scale since they lacked weapons...the French clearly did not.

if Algerians themselves dont have a meaning word Algerian Genocide (I think they dont), how do Turkey give it a meaning? dont you see how absurd this is?

Civil War? no...it was a war for independence.

Of course Turkish motives for the recognition of the Algerian Genocide are polical as are the French ones for the recognition of the Armenian Massacres as Genocide. But the French should know better not to throw stones at others when they are sitting in a glass house. In my eyes the Algerian Genocide is no less of a Genocide than the massacres of Armenians in 1915-20 - and if the French insist that Turkey in order to join Europe should face its history, swallow the tremendous human loss for the muslims and recognize only the deaths of Armenians as a Genocide, then they as members of the EU should set an example for "backward" Turkey to follow and should treat the massacres against Algerians on the same level as they expect massacres against Armenians to be treated. After all the life of every human being is equally valubale, or is it not?

Except that more than 20 other countries recognize the Armenian Genocide...but those same counties probably dont recognize the Algerian genocide too because everyone loves and fears the french right?

Even if they do not use the word "Genocide" specifically, and I do not know how else can you describe the death of around a million of their people, this does not make the killings less of a Genocide, as I am sure you know the defintion of Genocide better than me. Maybe you would say it was a civil war because many French died too?

Numbers dont constitute genocide. The Bosnian death tall hardly reached a million, but it is considered a case of Genocide.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 16:32
if Algerians themselves dont have a meaning word Algerian Genocide (

I think they accuse france, and france answer like "we should not discuss this topic, it is historian job to discuss historian events."

But when it comes Turkey, they discuss history.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:18
Genocide is a waste of time.  Given what you loose especially in terms of intellect and resource gathering in order to gain a more harmonious community the cost benefit ratio tilts towards cost. 
However people have alot of investment in their imaginary communities, imagining that such quaint notions for how big your nose is or what kind of food you eat makes people different. 

But on the other hand, if people really beleive in such things so strongly than perhaps an effective way to stop such behavior is to simply kill em all.  First you should try to absorb though so as not to loose anything.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>