Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conquerors of Iraq: World's most powerful nations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquerors of Iraq: World's most powerful nations!
    Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 06:50
Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, Mongols, ... were all the most powerful nations when they conquered Iraq, do you agree?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 06:59
Quite frankly, I do agree. The possible exception might be the Arabs, though. They were a rapidly rising power, but not one without equal when they took Iraq. They had to wait until a few decades after their conquest of Mesopotamia before they had consolidated their power to the point of being considered the world's most powerful state.

Edited by Constantine XI - 09-Jun-2006 at 07:00
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 07:18
I don't understand very well your post,

1. Do you say that these powers was in the highest point when conquered Iraq?
2. Or do you say that these powers become so powerful because they conquered Iraq?

American and english can be added to your list, but selyuks conquer it and they weren't specially powerful, equal can be said for Safavids; other superpowers since chinese to spanish and french don't conquer this region.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 12:21
You have forget to mention the USA.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 13:44
and England
I am a free donkey!
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:41

Iraq is center of middle east(and middle east is center of world except eastern asia.), so It is normal that every big empire conquered iraq.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 17:27
I quite like the statement: "Middle East is the center of the world". I'm sure Zoulou or Aztecos would agree
I am a free donkey!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 21:44
Very true about the British also being on the list. In 1919 the British achieved their greatest territorial extent, Iraq being one of their post-WWI acquisitions.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 21:44
If you are saying they are the most powerful in the world, then the Romans, Arabs, Turks are all questionable, since contemporary China or Mongolia is more powerful than all of them. We can actually say the same with a few other regions, like Afghanistan or Vietnam(or rather how many great powers failed there, like the Mongols, the Ming, the Qing, the Americans)
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 08:18
Originally posted by hydro

If you are saying they are the most powerful in the world, then the Romans, Arabs, Turks are all questionable, since contemporary China or Mongolia is more powerful than all of them. We can actually say the same with a few other regions, like Afghanistan or Vietnam(or rather how many great powers failed there, like the Mongols, the Ming, the Qing, the Americans)

Mongolians also invaded Iraq, by that time they were the most powerfulSmile

Turks conquered in 16th century, during that era, they were the most powerful together with Karl V 's Holy Roman Empire.

And please let's not get into comparison between Han Dynasty and Romans Smile
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 12:13
Actually, I'd have to agree with the earlier that Mesopotamia (Iraq) can be considered the center of the world, not literally the geographic center, but the crossroad of historical empires. Thus, many empires that expanded did expand into Mesopotamia as natural geographical goals, as also mentioned above. The only major series of empires that did not come to Mesopotamia was the Chinese Empires, which was far away.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 10-Jun-2006 at 12:14
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 07:31
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Quite frankly, I do agree. The possible exception might be the Arabs, though. They were a rapidly rising power, but not one without equal when they took Iraq. They had to wait until a few decades after their conquest of Mesopotamia before they had consolidated their power to the point of being considered the world's most powerful state.

actully they did conquere Iraq, Iran, Syria, lebanon, palestine and egypt under rule of the same Caliph. ( the Arabian penensula and Jorden were already under the Islamic Caliphate)

at that time late 600s AD the Sassanid Empire and the Byzantinum were the super powers, and after the conquests under the rule of Caliph Umar raa the Sassanid Empire was Ended and the byzantinum lost more than 2/3rd of their Empire.

so by ending an entire Empire and conquering 2/3rd of the other, i would say Arabs from That point were the new super power.

true they became stronger and larger under the Umayyads but their first success was the one which should be considered when talking about them being a super power.

Edited by azimuth - 11-Jun-2006 at 07:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Turks conquered in 16th century, during that era, they were the most powerful together with Karl V 's Holy Roman Empire.

And please let's not get into comparison between Han Dynasty and Romans Smile

umm, 16th century Ming China was at least as powerful as the Ottomon, and more powerful towards the end of the century. And 16th century Mongolia under Altan Khan was just as powerful as the Ming for a brief time, so don't be Euro-centered.
The same can be said of the Moghul empire under Akbar.

Han and Rome are only two of the empires of the time, the Kushan is another powerful empire. Of these, the Han is slightly greater in extent and population.

As for Mesopotamia been the "center" of the world. Its purely relative. The isolation of places like East Asia and South Asia is only a Eurocentered perspective, since the Greeks didn't know the Chinese, moderners call China isolated, but China has been in trade with India from Burma since at the latest, 4th century B.C. and there are no prove that the Greeks traded with India in a greater quantity. Since India and China combined has almost half of the world's population, the center of the world can easily be said to be in India or central Asia.

Edited by hydro - 12-Jun-2006 at 03:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

The only major series of empires that did not come to Mesopotamia was the Chinese Empires, which was far away.

Riiiight, exept the Mauryan, Kushan, HsiungNu, HsienPi, Ephtalites, Uighur, Huns, Avars, Gokturks, Tibetan, Delhi Sultanate, Moghul, Spanish, Russian, French and Germany. Also, the Romans only conquered Southern Mesopotamia for less than a year. The 18th dynasty Eygptians(or any time in imperial Egyptian history) also never conquered that area.
And don't say these are not important, if anyone bothered studying Central Asian history, they know its crucial importance in world history. And the world's economic center in history(the net monetary sink) since the 1st century A.D.(and possibly before) up to 1800, as Andre Gunder Frank in his "Re Orient" showed us, is in China and India, not in Mesopotamia.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 10:50

And the world's economic center in history(the net monetary sink) since the 1st century A.D.(and possibly before) up to 1800, as Andre Gunder Frank in his "Re Orient" showed us, is in China and India, not in Mesopotamia.

I am glad someone in this forum has read that book. Very interesting perspective. Thumbs Up

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 17:55
Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by Constantine XI

actully they did conquere Iraq, Iran, Syria, lebanon, palestine and egypt under rule of the same Caliph. ( the Arabian penensula and Jorden were already under the Islamic Caliphate)

at that time late 600s AD the Sassanid Empire and the Byzantinum were the super powers, and after the conquests under the rule of Caliph Umar raa the Sassanid Empire was Ended and the byzantinum lost more than 2/3rd of their Empire.

so by ending an entire Empire and conquering 2/3rd of the other, i would say Arabs from That point were the new super power.

true they became stronger and larger under the Umayyads but their first success was the one which should be considered when talking about them being a super power.

I think constantine is correct to say that the Arabs were not a superpower at the time of conquest and histories from ibn khaldun and ibn kathir assert this view. The powers were as they noted the Romans and the Persians. Only syria under Muaawiyah the Syrian governor had any stability at that time, the rest were simmering with rebellions that the moslems were finding difficult to control. The Arab superpower came from the dynasty of muaawiyah as the ummayads after tributes from these lands began to arrive.

Edited by malizai_ - 11-Jun-2006 at 17:58
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 19:14

As for Mesopotamia been the "center" of the world. Its purely relative. The isolation of places like East Asia and South Asia is only a Eurocentered perspective, since the Greeks didn't know the Chinese, moderners call China isolated, but China has been in trade with India from Burma since at the latest, 4th century A.D. and there are no prove that the Greeks traded with India in a greater quantity. Since India and China combined has almost half of the world's population, the center of the world can easily be said to be in India or central Asia.

The hellenistic trade with Orient was very importante, but you forget the strong trade relations between the roman empire (Principate) and India, many more important that the chinese trade at that time. China wasn't isolated, i totally agree, but always the relations of India was more closed with Persia and indirectly with the "West", economical, ideological, political, than with far Orient, at least was a relation of two and not mainly from one (India) to other (China) Of course, the nature of this relations must be toned.

And the world's economic center in history(the net monetary sink) since the 1st century A.D.(and possibly before) up to 1800, as Andre Gunder Frank in his "Re Orient" showed us, is in China and India, not in Mesopotamia.

Althoug i totally agree (again) with your previous argument about the importance of Central Asia, i can't agree with this last assertion. Is possible that during the Song dinasty China can be claimed economic center of the world, at least the most important without doubt. But, this fact don't exclude the historical evidence about the existence of multiples centres of the world, equally economical than political, in the entire process, i think there are three main centers in Eurasia: China, India and the Mediterraine (specially the eastern) For many times, for example I-VI centuries AC the eastern Mediterraine is equal to the others centers two centers i think. In the middle, crucial intermediaries like nomads and more or less persians. I didn't read that book, but search a "center of the world" before 1800 is a futil work.
Final: Around 1500 christian Europe can't be put behind the other centers, in fact grow quickly to the highest point at 1600, when the quality and quantity of her economical live is without doubt the first. Sleepy

bye
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 03:43
Originally posted by Ikki

The hellenistic trade with Orient was very importante, but you forget the strong trade relations between the roman empire (Principate) and India, many more important that the chinese trade at that time. China wasn't isolated, i totally agree, but always the relations of India was more closed with Persia and indirectly with the "West", economical, ideological, political, than with far Orient, at least was a relation of two and not mainly from one (India) to other (China) Of course, the nature of this relations must be toned.

India isn't a single entity southern India happens to be in a greater contact with the Medditeranean world, eastern India happens to be in a greater contact with China. India's own demographic study is one of the most debated subject in the academic field due to its lack of a organized census record. Which side is more populous is therefore unclear. There are a huge amount of Chinese products such as silk circulating in India since the 4th century B.C., it appears in different Buddhist and Janist records. In fact silk itself is one of India's major trade product, even with the western world. By the 1st century B.C., western India's Greek community has been overwhelmed by the Saka people of Jibin, who were in direct commercial contact with Han china. Unless beter evidence, in the form of archeology and historical records come up, no strong conclusion can be made.

Edited by hydro - 12-Jun-2006 at 05:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 04:29
Originally posted by Ikki

Althoug i totally agree (again) with your previous argument about the importance of Central Asia, i can't agree with this last assertion. Is possible that during the Song dinasty China can be claimed economic center of the world, at least the most important without doubt. But, this fact don't exclude the historical evidence about the existence of multiples centres of the world, equally economical than political, in the entire process, i think there are three main centers in Eurasia: China, India and the Mediterraine (specially the eastern) For many times, for example I-VI centuries AC the eastern Mediterraine is equal to the others centers two centers i think. In the middle, crucial intermediaries like nomads and more or less persians. I didn't read that book, but search a "center of the world" before 1800 is a futil work.
Final: Around 1500 christian Europe can't be put behind the other centers, in fact grow quickly to the highest point at 1600, when the quality and quantity of her economical live is without doubt the first. Sleepy

bye

Ander Gunder Frank does not argue that. His "economic center" isn't describing the modern concept of economic hegemon, but simply where the most amount of money from international trade sinks into. China's economic prominence already occured before the Song. Frederick Teggart theorize that all of Central Asia up to the Caspian sea are dependent on Chinese imports since the Han. He traced many major geopolitical shifts in these regions to major internal Chinese political crisis and decisions to close border trade. Some of these has major global consequences.
Even in 1 A.D. Angus Maddison estimate China's population at 59.6 million(which is based on the census taken from the Han Shu geography) with 26.2% of the world's GDP. He based his estimate of India on Biraben, who puts India's population at 75 million people and from that Maddison derived at roughly 32.8% of the global output for India. However, Biraben himself estimate China's population at 80 million, greater than that of India's. Other demographers like McEvy and Jones only estimates India's population at little more than 32 million people. In any case, India's demographic distribution is completely unclear due to the lack of census records. The Medditeranean on the other hand has around 46 million people and little more than 20% of the world's output or less than the former.(Maddison assumed all these places has equal per capita GDP, which is questionable in the first place considering the low tech physical technology Rome utilizes)

The historian Adshead speculates that India during the Gupta period is perhaps the economic "center" of the world, and its not until the Tang dynasty that China surpassed India as the paramount economic "center" of the world.
This is partially mentioned by Maddison's economic estimation of Tang China:
"From the eighth to the thirteenth century there was a major transformation of its economy, with a switch in the centre of gravity to the South. In the eighth century three-quarters of the population lived in North China, where the main crops were wheat and millet. By the end of the thirteenth, three-quarters of the population lived and produced rice below the Yangtse. This had been a swampy, lightly settled area, but with irrigation and early ripening seeds, it provided an ideal opportunity for massive development of rice cultivation."

Europe since the 5th century A.D. has a population no more than 20 million.
And Ander Gunder Frank mentions:
"Western Europe suffered perhaps more than any other region in the world system from the economic retrogression that this world systemic crisis set in train. Moreover, many centuries passed before Western Europe recovered, and then only partially. "

Even in the 18th century,
"China had a b/t surplus with everybody, based on its unrivalled manufacturing production and export of silks and procellain and other ceramics. Therefore, China, which like India had a perpetual silver shortage, was the major net importer of silver and met much of its need for coinage out of imports of American silver which arrived via Europe, West Asia, India, Southeast Asia and with the Manilla galleons directly from Acapulco. China also received massive amounts of silver and copper from Japan and some through the overland caravan trade across Central Asia. "
"Even at this date Asian production was much greater, and it was more productive and competitive than anything the Europeans were able to muster, even with the help of the gold and silver they brought from the Americas and Africa. Using GNP estimates by Bairoch, still in 1750 Asia had a GNP of $ 120 billion [in 1960 US dollars] while all the "West," meaning Europe and the Americas [but also including Russia and Japan because of how Bairoch grouped his estimates] had a GNP before the industrial revolution of only $ 35 billion. Still a century later in 1860, the respective amounts were $ 165 billion and $ 115 billion (re-calculated from Braudel 1982:534). According to Angus Maddison's (1991:10) estimates, per capita production or income were almost the same in China and Western Europe in 1400. For as late as 1700 to 1750 (Bairoch 1993) reviews estimates by various authors, and finds [that standards of living were about on a par world-wide].
Beyond the sheer larger amount of product - by after all a much larger population - in Asia, its production was also much more productive, and therefore more competitive on the world market. As Chaudhuri (1978:104-5) rightly observes
the demand for industrial products, even in a pre-machine age, measures the extent of specialisation and the division of labour reached by a society. There is no question that from this point of view the Indian subcontinent and China possessed the most advanced and varied economies in Asia in the period from 1500 to 1750 (Chaudhuri 1978:204-5).
Not only in Asia, however, but in the world!
It is clear that Asia's absorption of silver, and to a lesser extent gold for a limited period in the seventeenth century, was primarily the result of a relative difference in international production cost and prices. It was not until the large-sale application of machinery in the nineteenth century radically altered the structure of production costs that Europe was able to bridge the effect of the price differentials."

" Japan alone contributed 8 thousand out of this 28 thousand ton total, or almost 30 percent, and therefore perhaps fully one quarter of total world production, including that of Persia, etc., during this critical period -- and more than that ended up in China, since it received an unknown part of the remaining silver as well. ....

Thus between 1600 and 1800, continental Asia absorbed at least 32 thousand tons of silver from the Americas via Europe, 3 thousand tons via Manila, and perhaps 10 thousand tons from Japan, or a total of at least 45 thousand tons or nearly 40 percent of the world production of 116 thousand tons that did not remain in the Americas, apart from its own production. A still unknown but large share of this silver ended up in China, which also received silver over the trans- and circum- Asian eastward bound routes. China received significant parts of the silver exported from Europe via the Levant, West-,South-, and Southeast Asia. .....

The historical/empirical sections of the present essay demonstrated that the real world during the period between about 1400 and 1800, not to mention also the past before that, was itself also very different from what is alleged by received theory. Eurocentric history and "classical" social science, but also still Wallerstein's "modern world-system" suppose and/or allege e European predominance, which simply did not exist. Still until about 1800 the world economy was by no stretch of the imagination European-centred nor in any significant way defined or marked by any European-born [nor European borne] "capitalism," let alone development. Still less was there any real "capitalist development" initiated, generated, diffused or otherwise propagated or perpetrated by Europeans or the West. THAT occurred ONLY by the stretch of European-centric imagination, and even that only belatedly since the nineteenth century, as Bernal has already emphasized. Instead, the data in the preceding sections have shown unequivocally that the world economy was preponderantly Asian-based. "

Keep in mind that living standard is irrelevant here, economic center is based on both quantity and quality, or the total output, and thanks to China's new farming products during the Ming and Qing, its population is several times that of Europe, while with a per capita GDP not that much behind. Hence it retains the economic "center" of the world.

Edited by hydro - 12-Jun-2006 at 07:02
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:05
Originally posted by malizai_

I think constantine is correct to say that the Arabs were not a superpower at the time of conquest and histories from ibn khaldun and ibn kathir assert this view. The powers were as they noted the Romans and the Persians. Only syria under Muaawiyah the Syrian governor had any stability at that time, the rest were simmering with rebellions that the moslems were finding difficult to control. The Arab superpower came from the dynasty of muaawiyah as the ummayads after tributes from these lands began to arrive.

not sure whats your point, what old historians such as Ibn Khatheer were saying is that the Persian and the Roman empires were the strongest nations before Islam.

its a fact that the time of Caliph Umar the Caliphate Armies defeated both the Persian and the Roman Empires and these losses caused the End of the Persians and more than 2/3rd of the Roman Empire (byzantinian).

i dont think Ibn Katheer and Ibn Khaldon said that before the Ummayads Persians and Roman still super powers.

the instability of the caliphate before the Umayyads rule was due to the recent problems with the death of Caliph Uthman raa and later the death of Caliph Ali raa.

the time of Caliph Umar raa was stable and successfull enough to expand the Caliphate from Lybia to more than 3/4th of Iran, and again from that point after the end of the Sassanids and the huge losses of the Byzantinians the only super power that continued expanding is the Caliphate.

when the Umayyads took over the caliphate is already a super power with not much rivals and that gave the Umayyads the chance to expand even further and form the largest Empire in History till that point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>