Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Three Kingdoms of Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Kingdoms of Korea
    Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 05:40
Hi,

There are number of Historical dramas based on this Era coming out in S. Korea  that's straining relations with the Chinese Government.

I wish I could paste some links here, but, unfortunately, this site is badly designed.

you may wanna Google.

Edited by JuMong - 08-Jul-2006 at 05:42
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 15:18
It's not so much dramas centering around the Shilla and Baekje but the dramas which are focusing on Buyeo, Goguryeo, and Barhae:  namely those about Jumong, Dae Joyeong, and Yeon Gaesomun.  I hear a Gwanggaeto one is also in the works.

There wouldn't be any strains with the Chinese government if the PRC had not made claims to Korean history in the first place.

Plus, if the history is shared, the media corporations have every right to make these dramas don't they?
intem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote intem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by JuMong

Hi,

There are number of Historical dramas based on this Era coming out in S. Korea  that's straining relations with the Chinese Government.

I wish I could paste some links here, but, unfortunately, this site is badly designed.

you may wanna Google.

Whats the name of the up coming movie of that? so i could google it.
Thx
J.T.I.J
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 18:45
For more discussion on the accuracy of the depiction of historical events in movies, go to the following thread:

Due to the generally more limited budget for TV productions, I have a feeling that they pay even less attention to the accuracy of the depiction of historical events.

I am pretty sure dramas have been made in China that depict Sino-Korean history from a purely Chinese perpective, so they shouldn't complain about Korea doing the same thing from their own perspective. The bottom line is, no one really has any exclusive claim to "the truth" since history is always open to interpretation, which of course depends on the background of the person who does the interpretation.

If I spoke Korean, I would love to watch these dramas.

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 20:22
I'm kind of curious about this because I've also seen some episodes of one such drama broadcast on the local cable channel within the past year.  It concerns a military general of  the kingdom of Silla (sp?) around the time of Japanese incursions in to the peninsula (15th Century, I think).  Just what were the recognized Korean kingdoms and their respective periods of existence?  Between the Chinese and Japanese, these seem to have been relegated to the background of Asian history.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 12:27
The drama you watched was on Admiral Yi (I Sunsin, I Sunshin, etc)  He battled Hideyoshi's navy during the Imjin Waeran (1592 1598)  He served the Joseon dynasty which was from 1392-1910.  The Joseon was the last Korean monarchy (We're considering Joseon and the Daehan Empire as the same entity).

As for Korean history, wiki's done an amazingly good job of summing it up and including just about every entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Korea
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 03:07
google "history of Great Choson empire", see how Korean may depict history with "Korean perspective", that i dare say is far from historically accurate.

Edited by The Charioteer - 10-Jul-2006 at 07:51
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 03:25
Originally posted by flyingzone

For more discussion on the accuracy of the depiction of historical events in movies, go to the following thread:

Due to the generally more limited budget for TV productions, I have a feeling that they pay even less attention to the accuracy of the depiction of historical events.

I am pretty sure dramas have been made in China that depict Sino-Korean history from a purely Chinese perpective, so they shouldn't complain about Korea doing the same thing from their own perspective. The bottom line is, no one really has any exclusive claim to "the truth" since history is always open to interpretation, which of course depends on the background of the person who does the interpretation.

If I spoke Korean, I would love to watch these dramas.

please be more specific, which Korean or Chinese TV dramas are historically inaccurate? and why they deemed to be that? so that we can have more meaningful discussions.

may i remind you, i have seen Korean claim Confucius to be a Korean? (on AE as well) should China complain or not, since "dongyi" may had connection to both Shang and Korea,  that at the time "Chinese" is not yet defined by Qin's unification?

if this distortion or inaccuracy in tv dramas is to counter the "Chinese perspective" which is accused of same as lack reliabilty. then, do you think its actually a better way to make their objection?

Edited by The Charioteer - 10-Jul-2006 at 03:28
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 12:56
google "history of Great Choson empire", see how Korean may depict history with "Korean perspective", that i dare say is far from historically accurate.

Simply google "Koguryo" and you'll find the same distorted history, except from the Chinese perspective.  What really was the point of that post?  Distortion happens on both sides and it's not too surprising that you'll find extremist nationalist sites if you type in such key words. 
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 12:59
please be more specific, which Korean or Chinese TV dramas are historically inaccurate? and why they deemed to be that? so that we can have more meaningful discussions.

may i remind you, i have seen Korean claim Confucius to be a Korean? (on AE as well) should China complain or not, since "dongyi" may had connection to both Shang and Korea,  that at the time "Chinese" is not yet defined by Qin's unification?

if this distortion or inaccuracy in tv dramas is to counter the "Chinese perspective" which is accused of same as lack reliabilty. then, do you think its actually a better way to make their objection?

You seem to be lacking the distinction between what is said online by some individuals and what is generally accepted in SK.  Extreme Nationalists hold a very marginal audience and more oft than not their version of the story does not appear in the media.  Point in case, no educated Korean is going to tell you that Confucius was a Korean. 

Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 22:41
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Simply google "Koguryo" and you'll find the same distorted history, except from the Chinese perspective.  What really was the point of that post?  Distortion happens on both sides and it's not too surprising that you'll find extremist nationalist sites if you type in such key words. 

Thats my point, "distortion happens on both sides." Im aware of "Chinese perspective" on Koguryo, thats why i said its a Korean state in the Bohai thread. But in case of Korean forumers havent known, that this "history of Great Choson empire" is relatively popular on Chinese sources, its seen as anexample of current Korean nationalist view on history.

Confucius is a highlight, since its traditionally regarded as a Chinese sage, though you may argue its rather few nationalist individuals from Korean side claiming such, but apparently Confucius had "dongyi" connection, im interested to know, how this connection may influence "Korean perspective".

And i suspect some of the elements from "history of Great Choson empire"(i can only find it on Chinese google, by typing in "大朝鲜帝国史") may be influenced by it, but im not certain.

apparently the Japanese is also concerned about it, since they consider the book distorted Japanese history as well. i have read some translation of its content by Chinese sites, since i havent read it myself, i will reserve some doubt about whether this view is generally accepted in SK or not. I was hoping Korean forumers may inform me further on that. As far as i know the book was published as a "authentic" history book in SK.

On specific issues i may consider its fostered by some nationalist individuals, but i believe they are also by-product of general nationalism in a particular country, also how current politics may influence it, positively or negatively. 

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 19:56
Books in South Korea are published at the discretion of the publisher.  I have no idea how it works in China, but the government has no real control over what is published in South Korea.  You can find all sorts of wierd little books but just because you find it on some book shelf in some book store somewhere doesn't mean that the information inside is necessarily mainstream.  As with all things, what you read is to be taken with a grain of salt. 

The internet is even more open in this respect.  Whereas in publications content needs to pass by the eye of an editor/publisher, the internet has no such restraints (in the South Korean context) and anyone with whatever crazy theory they have can express their sentiments, hence the existence of sites like those advocating the belief in the existence of such fantastic monsters like the Chupacabra. 

It's not too hard to believe then that you would find Koreans (or Korean impersonators) inhabiting cyber space that would spout rubbish such as the out of no where idea that master Kong Zi was actually Korean.

As for the book itself, I'll give it one thing:  it's got some pretty pictures.  I've seen this particular book come up over and over and it's mostly full of garbage inspired by the extreme nationalist view on history.  Thankfully, this is not the mainstream and is quite far from it.

Not to say that Korean academia is not tainted at all.  If a scholar ever claimed that Korean industry was helped at least indirectly by previous build up during the colonial era, he or she would find themselves shunned and unread, but that kind of bias occurs in every nation.  It follows the logic that most people don't want to read bad things about themselves.  Hence claims in some Japanese textbooks that the Rape of Nanjing never happened when it so obviously did.

The same thing is apparent when I see Chinese state papers such as Xinhua give articles on Goguryeo.  The information is usually the same.  "China is proud of its Goguryeo sites and China's kingdom of Goguryeo.  Goguryeo was a local ethnic minority and local government of China that never developed its own writing but instead utilized Chinese characters. Goguryeo received Buddhism from China" etc etc.  As you can see the tactic here is totally ignoring Goguryeo's own acheivments and focusing solely on its relationship to China giving the false impression that Goguryeo did not stand on its own but was absolutely dependent on China without ever directly stating it.

The point?  Yes I agree, all nations often horribly distort their history and the histories of other nations.  Is the extreme Korean nationalism you find on this website mainstream in South Korea?  Absolutely not.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 22:59

Originally posted by Gubook

Books in South Korea are published at the discretion of the publisher.  I have no idea how it works in China, but the government has no real control over what is published in South Korea.  You can find all sorts of wierd little books but just because you find it on some book shelf in some book store somewhere doesn't mean that the information inside is necessarily mainstream.  As with all things, what you read is to be taken with a grain of salt. 

As for the book itself, I'll give it one thing:  it's got some pretty pictures.  I've seen this particular book come up over and over and it's mostly full of garbage inspired by the extreme nationalist view on history.  Thankfully, this is not the mainstream and is quite far from it.

According to the sources i've read(the Japanese link has it in the introduction), this particular book has been introduced to the army for education on "national history" of Korea. If this is true, shouldnt such non-mainstream materials be not introduced into apparently an important organization in SK on a serious matter?

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 04:27
I'd like to see your Japanese website.  Keep in mind that some websites exist simply to spread lies and hate.  Like I said, take informaiton with a grain of salt.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 03:32

Korean dramas are played at a UHF station (low power) where I live. It i has english subtitles. The first drama I saw was called the "age of warriors". It took place form thr 1170 rebellion thru Choi Chong Han. It was a great drama. The following one was called "The Immortal Yi Soon Shin".

It all is a mesh of drama and history to it isnt entirely accurate. For example, the first turtle boat built by yi soon shin actually ended up tiping over. This of course never happened (not to my knwoledge).

The next one comming up takes place in Balhae, the successor kingdom of Kuguryo.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 15:46
Korean historical dramas put much emphasis on the drama part
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
 Post Reply Post Reply