Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homer was a woman !!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homer was a woman !!??
    Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:09

No Ponce, it's not about Homer Simpson.

A British academic has come up with a revolutionary theory:  
One of the most significant figures in the history of literature, the great Homer, creator of the Illiad and the Odyssey, was.........a woman. After centuries of speculations about the identity of Homer (did he really exist, was he one person or the figurehead of a collective of writers, and so on) here's a completely new twist to the saga:

Dr Dalby, whose study, Rediscovering Homer, will be published by W. W. Norton in September, said: It is possible, even probable, that this poet was a woman. As a working hypothesis, this helps to explain certain features in which these epics are better more subtle, more complex, more universal than most others.

Homer

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:34
Wow, I never even considered the thought that Homer was a woman.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:38

how does Homer being a woman explain why the epics ascribed to Homer being more subtle being more subtle, complex, more universal than the other epics?   

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:39
It wouldn't surprise me, but I'd be willing to give women the credit for just about anything I'm fairly ignorent of. ;)

I do like it, though, when men speak scientifically about women and women's nature. It always make me laugh, even if it is true. When they say a female author would've been bored to tears writing Illad... How can you not laugh? Firstly, today, it would probably be true - I couldn't even be bothered to read it.

But back in those days, I would expect women could've written about such things as easily and with as much passion and interest as they could today write about their own soldiers, their own breadwinners. If I felt even the slightest connection with the men involved in such "masculine" activities, I could easily write from the heart about them.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:40
I think that it would be impossible to prove. Just because they are better is no proof... although woman are of course more subtle, more complex, more universal  ...LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 16:02
Interesting opinion!
But i hope there is some scientific evidence,and it s not just a way for the writer to make noise around hiis/her name..
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 16:37
Why then all the statues (Roman and Greeks)  that estimated since  4th cent show a male ?

I think this is a just  arbitrary theory as many propagation common hypothesis.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 17:06
Originally posted by akritas

Why then all the statues (Roman and Greeks)  that estimated since  4th cent show a male ?

I think this is a just  arbitrary theory as many propagation common hypothesis.

I agree...However, if he was a woman would any of his works change because of that? I don't think so.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 17:11
[QUOTE=Komnenos]

No Ponce, it's not about Homer Simpson.

ok then not interested
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 21:33

Did this revered professor plan to sell as much as dan brown, or is he planning to break another record.

He could write also about homer simpson being a woman, he could sell even more. Now that I think about it, I ll write a book about that. And my researches will show that actually everyone is a woman. As a result, Homer, and Homer Simpson were sisters.
Prej heshtjes...!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 04:15
Originally posted by Arbr Z

Did this revered professor plan to sell as much as dan brown, or is he planning to break another record.

He could write also about homer simpson being a woman, he could sell even more. Now that I think about it, I ll write a book about that. And my researches will show that actually everyone is a woman. As a result, Homer, and Homer Simpson were sisters.

Haha, well said. Basically many have tryed to make a fuzz over something in order to get attention. I mean if Dan Brown for example releases a book of poor quality, he will definetely sell more of it than he would sell if he was not that famous.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 05:42
Kind of makes one wonder... where will the revisiosist "just for kicks and publicity" crap end? I mean everybody is trying to build reputation and (if lucky) a fortune, by screwing history in random ways...
If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 10:51
Komnenos welcome back from your WM trip.

I have a question, granted that Homer were a woman, what was the reason for the historians to tell us she was a man?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 11:07
Originally posted by Maziar

I have a question, granted that Homer were a woman, what was the reason for the historians to tell us she was a man?

Prejudice towards women perhaps?
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 11:16
Originally posted by Maziar

Off topic:

I would like to caregorically deny that my absence had anything to do with the World Cup.
I was in Luxemburg, not a country usually associated with Football, as they are officially the second worst team in Europe. Even Liechtenstein and Andorra were better in the WC Qualies.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 08:28
Nuh,i think it's false and funny.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Andrew Dalby View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andrew Dalby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 11:52

Maybe I should have gone the Homer Simpson route ...

But what I really hope to do is to make people think seriously about why we assume that the maker of these poems was a man. I'm not, in fact, talking about Homer. Homer was a long way back in the oral past (and probably wore a beard). I'm talking about the person who composed the poems known to us, and saw them written down. At a time when practically no other literature was written down, who had the insight, the ability, the creativity to do that? Why did they choose to do it? What audience can they have hoped to reach, an audience that wasn't reached by the oral poets of those times? Think about it ... and maybe read the book ...
Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 13:01

I have red the Illiad and the Odyssey several times, since I was a kid greek mythology, and eppical poems attracted me mre than anything. Now, it is true, Homer might have been only a bard, or only a scribe. It is very probable that he didnt create this tales. In my opinion the tales, the epics, always have to pass through an oral phase, which gives to simply narrated story the shape of a magnificent poem. So in my opinion the Illiad and the Odyssey cannot be attributed to a single man (bard). They were created orally from generation to the other, and from a bard to the other. It could be true, maybe some of the bards could have been women. But it is not likely. The poems are Warriors' Songs and Wandering Man's Songs. The poems imply a good knowledge of the military techniques, of the battle field, of the naval science etc. And the style, the shape, the colour of the words, the inside, in my opinion is very Virile and Heroic. It is strange to think about sexism, the songs are inspired by a (feminine) muse. Read the poems, and you 'll understand the virility of the many bards (narrators), as well as that of the protagonists.

Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:08

So in my opinion the Illiad and the Odyssey cannot be attributed to a single man (bard).

To paraphrase Mr. Dalby (liberally), it's probably best not to use that term in this case because 'Bard' specifically refers to a Celtic vagabond minstrel who sucked up to chieftains & heroes for a free meal.

If you love the epics then it is worth your while to read the book. If you disagree with the main hypothesis in the end, it doesn't mean that there is no new insight in the book to glean in regards to the mystery surrounding Homer.

I've only just begun the book but it seems clear to me that Mr. Dalby has done extensive research on the subject and is not just out to make an extra buck based on a tag line about Homer being a woman...  

Edited by Pantagathus - 21-Jul-2006 at 17:15
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:59
Originally posted by Pantagathus

So in my opinion the Illiad and the Odyssey cannot be attributed to a single man (bard).

To paraphrase Mr. Dalby (liberally), it's probably best not to use that term in this case because 'Bard' specifically refers to a Celtic vagabond minstrel who sucked up to chieftains & heroes for a free meal.

If you love the epics then it is worth your while to read the book. If you disagree with the main hypothesis in the end, it doesn't mean that there is no new insight in the book to glean in regards to the mystery surrounding Homer.

I've only just begun the book but it seems clear to me that Mr. Dalby has done extensive research on the subject and is not just out to make an extra buck based on a tag line about Homer being a woman...  

This Mr.Dalby apparently is also a master of cuisine, and a gastrohistorian.
I love epics, is true, but I dont have the time to read nonserious researchers. It states that Homer was a woman?We know very few about him, and actually his existence is still disscussed. About the author of the poem, we will never know who he were, as the epics ran the process of oral creation, for centuries apparently. If you want to know greek mythology, read greek mythology, not Mr.Dalby.
God, I love Leonardo Da vinci, I admire him, but I dont have to read the "Da Vinci Code", and then to read "The lies of Dan Brown", and then "The truth of the code", and then "The anti-code", and then "the truth of the templars" and several other books from some Dalby like authors, who like to interpretate, and not to analyse. Read the Illiad and the Oddyssey, then if you got time read Dalby, but I would advise you to wait a bit, time should pass before you read Dalby, if not you will not enjoy the poems. And is true, a bard is a celtic minstrel, but as we are speaking in english, celtic terms are allowed too I guess. Anyway, you can call it Rapsod if you want.
Prej heshtjes...!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>