Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperialism of China and of the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperialism of China and of the West
    Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 22:07

"Again, there was no such term as China, Zhong Guo, around that time.  Certainly were no such term as Chinese, Zhong Guo Ren.  Zhong Guo not as a term of identity, more as a term of geography.  Because the four sides around the yellow river bend were full of barbarians.  Si-Fang, the four directions was a term used since Shang dynasty to call the bararians around the Shang kingdom.  During that time, Fang is used as a word for a country, or city not direction.  This word is then barrowed to mean directions because the Four main babaric tribes happened to be Di to the north, Chiang to the West, Miao ­] to the south and Yi i to the East."

there was no such term as human beings when we lived in cave. there were no americans, no british, no french when the chinese started calling themselves citizens of the central kingdom.

since we came first, we should rule the world? that's nonsense! ur arguement doesn't hold for the same reason.

we should all go back to our caves right? is that what you want?

Edited by coolstorm
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 22:49

Hey Coolstorm,

You misunderstood his argument.  "China" and "Zhongguo" aren't just terms, they are constructs.  They are, in other words, very "loaded" terms.  They represent interpretations about a body of facts.  Your example "human beings" is probably a good one as well -- at one point people probably didn't think that there is such a group as "humans."  Cannibals probably didn't think of humans as we typically do -- they probably treat humans as animals.  Saying that constructs didn't exist doesn't mean denying that objective facts existed.

Peace,

Michael

12-1-2004

sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 23:34
Some cannibals call humans as long pigs.
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 23:49

here i got an undebatable argument:

an undeniable fact!!!

the term "chinese", the term "han people", the term "tang people" are all just names that the chinese use to call themselves.

the term "han" didn't come out until han was established. oversea chinese call themselves tang people. the term tang didn't come out until tang was established.

even the term "the people of the central kingdom" didn't start being used widely until after the fall of qing dynasty and the beginning of the republic. during the manchu dynasty, chinese people called themselves "han people" or "hua people".

all the warring states citizens and the chinese world called themselves "hua people", descendants of huang di. all non chinese were not descendants of the huang di but barbarians.

the names that chinese call themselves doesn't have anything to do with the chinese being the same group of the people because all of these terms refer to the descendents of "huang di", the "hua people". long before history started being recorded, the chinese have called referred to themselves as the "hua people", the descendents of huang di.

plus, "zhen guo ren" is a modern term to refer to this group of "hua people", the descendants of huang di.

it's an english term to refer to this group of people.

whether chinese people are called chinese, han, tang, hua doesn't matter cause they are all descendants of huang di, the hua people.

we call the germans germans but germans call themselves in german with a name that starts with a d. that doesn't mean the germans aren't germans but different names are being used to refer to them.

Edited by coolstorm
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 00:16

Not true. Germans call themselves Deutsch but they are also Germanen (not sure about the spelling).

In Chinese Germans in the middle ages (crusades etc) are referred to as the Ri Er Man people (from Germanen). Only recently do we call them De Yi Zhi or De Guo.

"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 00:32
i just used german as an example but i admit that i am not familiar with the german language but my arguement about hua wen is undebateable.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:07

Hey Coolstorm,

Okay.  But since when was this our debate?

Peace,

Michael

12-2-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:39
Originally posted by coolstorm

"Again, there was no such term as China, Zhong Guo, around that time.  Certainly were no such term as Chinese, Zhong Guo Ren.  Zhong Guo not as a term of identity, more as a term of geography.  Because the four sides around the yellow river bend were full of barbarians.  Si-Fang, the four directions was a term used since Shang dynasty to call the bararians around the Shang kingdom.  During that time, Fang is used as a word for a country, or city not direction.  This word is then barrowed to mean directions because the Four main babaric tribes happened to be Di to the north, Chiang to the West, Miao ­] to the south and Yi i to the East."

there was no such term as human beings when we lived in cave. there were no americans, no british, no french when the chinese started calling themselves citizens of the central kingdom.

since we came first, we should rule the world? that's nonsense! ur arguement doesn't hold for the same reason.

we should all go back to our caves right? is that what you want?

That's not my point at all, either I did a poor job conveying my point, or your comprehension was very low at the point you read my post.  Either way, your attitude was not very pleasing.  I hope that's not what you intended.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:43
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

You forgot Gui Fang. And they are not always barbarians. Gui Fang is a tributary to the Shang dynasty and they also gave a daughter of the chieftain to the Shang king Zhou, except Zhou had her and her daddy killed.

That is a very interesting point.  I always wondered about the Gui Fang people.  Obviously Gui is either a translation, or it is a term the Hui people used to judge others, no one calls themselves the Ghost people.  Who are these Gui Fang people now?  Who were they?  If you know, please share with me ^_^~

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 05:02

ok ur right. i am not a patient person. so i dun normally read the whole thing. sorry about that.

but it does seem to me that ur trying to imply something that has to do with an idea that china shouldn't be a united nation by saying the chinese people didn't share the same identity during the warring state period, which is neither true nor right.

this is an example of the mistrust among chinese people. i dun see how a war between the two sides can be avoided.

yeah i am sensitve.

but i've also lost hope. and due to the politics and mr. chen in taiwan, there's also been some level of hostility inside me towards anything that seems to lead to the idea of taiwan's independence. and this is continuously increasing.

i know i shouldn't generalize people in taiwan.

but human beings just do that.

generalization is inevitable.

i dun have any problem with roc. i respect u if u still think of sun yat san as the founding father and if u still think of urself as a chinese but i have all kinds of problems with anything that looks "green".

Edited by coolstorm
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:25

Hey. I like vegetables.

Mr coolstorm, you must understand that the situation of Taiwan is that we are dying to become an American garrison or Japanese colony. We have lost our gallbladder and vertebrates through 50 years of political segregation and over 2 decades of devolution.

I hope you can understand. I am also very sensitive that my fellow Taiwanese people are calling me false Taiwanese, descendant of Waisheng pigs, traitor etc.

I reviewed my history notes from last semester and found a definition about Imperialism. It is the ruling of a group of people, sometimes away from the motherland. The imperialist takes their resources, their labor and exploits them while giving them a degree of military protection (or military oppression to prevent them from boiling over). The imperialist also control the subjugated politics.

Thus, the US occupation of Iraq is a good example of imperialism.

Oh yeah, the Gui Fang people are now the Chinese people. I might have Gui Fang blood in me because I look good. I might also have Dong Yi blood in me because I am awesome. I might also have Mongol blood in me because it took me just 1 month to start cantering (and the horse riding lesson stopped because I don't have $$).

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 14:06

very interesting point.  I always wondered about the Gui Fang ­ people.  Obviously Gui is either a translation, or it is a term the Hui people used to judge others, no one calls themselves the Ghost people.  Who are these Gui Fang ­ people now?  Who were they?  If you know, please share with me ^_^~

It seems that "Gui" wasn't a negative term in antiquity.  For example, both "Gui" and "Shen" were worshipped in ancient times.

Edited by MengTzu
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 14:14

Hey coolstorm,

This thread (which I started) attempts to explore the differences between the conceptualizations of "imperialism" of ancient China and of the West.  Its purpose is not to discuss whether China should be united.  Now I believe that rarely can a popular thread stay on the original topic, and I'm not adamant that it cannot go into tangents.  But it seems like you bring in the question of nationalism to almost every topic on the Asian forum.  My concern is that any objective discussion becomes difficult when it's so emotionally charged.

Peace,

Michael

12-3-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 21:21
Originally posted by MengTzu

very interesting point.  I always wondered about the Gui Fang ?shy; people.  Obviously Gui is either a translation, or it is a term the Hui people used to judge others, no one calls themselves the Ghost people.  Who are these Gui Fang ?shy; people now?  Who were they?  If you know, please share with me ^_^~

It seems that "Gui" wasn't a negative term in antiquity.  For example, both "Gui" and "Shen" were worshipped in ancient times.

That is true.  I would think that it is a translation.  Too bad no one wants to discuss about Gui Fang or whether it was nationalism in Warring States era.  Oh well, it was a good discussion while it lasted.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 01:48

Hi,I should say this topic is very interesting.Only that something cannot get clear through such words.The truth is that all histories  just must be and have been explained by people of today.

O,I'm afraid the nationalism is not a good idea,but no conutry can get through without that.In fact,I don't appreciate nationalism at all.The problem is that it has been so difficult for the people between the two sides to understand each other.If our fellow compatriots in the island go on with such splittist line, The war is coming,and no one could prevent that....

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 18:30
Originally posted by Lessing0

Hi,I should say this topic is very interesting.Only that something cannot get clear through such words.The truth is that all histories  just must be and have been explained by people of today.

O,I'm afraid the nationalism is not a good idea,but no conutry can get through without that.In fact,I don't appreciate nationalism at all.The problem is that it has been so difficult for the people between the two sides to understand each other.If our fellow compatriots in the island go on with such splittist line, The war is coming,and no one could prevent that....

Our action has nothing to do with the war.  The side that starts the war starts the war.  Do not shed your responsbility to others.

Let's look at a similar statement: "If you don't give me your lunch money, I'll beat the crap out of you."  The fault lies on the side that hits, that on the side that wants to retain his own right.

Besides, this topic has nothing to do with the strait issues.  What you bring to this thread is very uninteresting.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 20:25

"Again, there was no such term as China, Zhong Guo, around that time.   "

No, the term ZhongGuo was found in the inscription of the Zhou kings in the 10th century b.c. The inscriptions describe them pacifying the south, west, east and north and set themselves up in the center. However the middle kingdom here discribes the Zhou only.

"Zhong Guo not as a term of identity, more as a term of geography."

Zhong Yuan is the geography, Zhongguo is a political identity meaning the legitimate son of heaven that rule Zhong Yuan.

"during the manchu dynasty, chinese people called themselves "han people" or "hua people"."

Or they just call themselves the Qing people if one serves as officials.

"whether chinese people are called chinese, han, tang, hua doesn't matter cause they are all descendants of huang di, the hua people."

They're not since that doesn't include the ethnic minority that arenot descended from Huang Di whose existence itself can't even be verified. Zhong Guo Ren is a rather new term in response to western concept of a nation. Zhong Guo to Han is similar to British to English. Its first used during the Qing dynasty and expanded during the Republic.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 21:26

No, the term ZhongGuo was found in the inscription of the Zhou kings in the 10th century b.c. The inscriptions describe them pacifying the south, west, east and north and set themselves up in the center. However the middle kingdom here discribes the Zhou only.

The question here isn't when the term "Zhong Guo" was coined, but what "Zhong Guo" means for us today.  It no longer appears to mean what it used to mean during Zhou dynasty.  Rather, it is an abstract, nationalistic marker, that denotes something beyond any particular regime and potentially any geographic area.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 01:19

Thanks MengTzu, that is what I am trying to convey.  The word Zhong Guo does not mean what the Nationalist and Communist propaganda altered it to be before end of Qing dynasty. 

The term Middle Kingdom was simply refering to Zhou being at the middle of these "uncivilized" people.  In fact, Zhou has many different ethnicities, people of Zhou for example, Zhou is a western state of Shang, who used to be considered uncivilized by the Shang nobels.  Zhou contains the ethnicity of Qiang (l Jiang Zi Yia is of this race), and race of Yi which includes the nobels of Shang and so on.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 12:12

Forget about the world Zhong Guo. It's just a name that the descendants of huangdi have refered to themselves. I have made this point 100000000000 times.

What's important is that we are all descendants of huangdi people of Huang.

Zhong Guo was called Hau Xia before the term Zhong Guo was developed.

Stop acting green. I know what you think and I know your trick. It's not much different from the word game that the seperatist Chen plays. I personally have no hope and no patient. This is my personal statement : Without other options, I am in support of war against Taiwan although I prefer to have a peaceful reunification (no longer possible).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>