Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperialism of China and of the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperialism of China and of the West
    Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 09:54

Han Ren is still being used today.

A mainland Chinese ID tells the ethicity that you belong. A Han Chinese has an ID with the term "Han Ren" on it. 

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 12:56

"The point is the concept of all people in the middle plane (which also changes meaning over the history) were of one race did not develope until Han dynasty."

The concept of the race of "Han" did exist, or the people of central plain wouldn't be calling the people outside as Yi if they are the same.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 14:13
Originally posted by warhead

"The point is the concept of all people in the middle plane (which also changes meaning over the history) were of one race did not develope until Han dynasty."

The concept of the race of "Han" did exist, or the people of central plain wouldn't be calling the people outside as Yi if they are the same.

So let's go back to the original subject.  That is pre-Han, especially Warring States Era, there were nationalism developing between the states and there was no concept of one race in the land where people consider to be China today.

Have we resolved this?  Or are you still insisting that even in Warring States, The concept of one China was already in place?

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 16:41

"So let's go back to the original subject.  That is pre-Han, especially Warring States Era, there were nationalism developing between the states"

As already pointed out the concept is patriotism and it was never strong as it is in today's sense. People born in one state travel to another all the time and serve faithfully, just as Matternich consider himself not of any European nationality but a citizen of Europe, a lot of warring state figure are no different. Shang Yang been one, So was Wu chi, Wu Zi Xu and even confucious himself.

"and there was no concept of one race in the land where people consider to be China today. "

It seems your not answering to the reply, which is that it did, or else people outside would not be called Yi and Yue. The concept of race is only absent during Shang, and perhaps early Western Zhou.

"Have we resolved this?  Or are you still insisting that even in Warring States, The concept of one China was already in place?"

The concept of one China has always been in place since the begining, its how you define it. There is only one legitimate son of Heaven and king, and that he rules the Middle kingdom while others around are faithful and obedient, they are granted fiefs and vassalage and serve under the ruler. You cannot have two middle kingdom when its in the middle can you?

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 17:01

As already pointed out the concept is patriotism and it was never strong as it is in today's sense. People born in one state travel to another all the time and serve faithfully, just as Matternich consider himself not of any European nationality but a citizen of Europe, a lot of warring state figure are no different. Shang Yang been one, So was Wu chi, Wu Zi Xu and even confucious himself.

Actually I think it's more like Russian scientists after the end of cold war going to work for other countries because they lost their jobs.  That does not mean Russia and those nations are the same one.  You might also compare it to Columbus going to other nations to find leaders that will support and fund his idea.  That does not make him feel he is anyless Portrigese. 

It seems your not answering to the reply, which is that it did, or else people outside would not be called Yi and Yue. The concept of race is only absent during Shang, and perhaps early Western Zhou.

The concept of one China has always been in place since the begining, its how you define it. There is only one legitimate son of Heaven and king, and that he rules the Middle kingdom while others around are faithful and obedient, they are granted fiefs and vassalage and serve under the ruler. You cannot have two middle kingdom when its in the middle can you?

Define "from the beginning".  But I don't agree with that point of view.  The concept of the Emperor is the son of heaven started after the concept of Emperor was established.  Also as I said before, the term "Zhong Guo", what you call "middle kingdom" did not mean a kingdom until after Warring States.  Which is established by Han dynasty by the help of Confucism.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 17:40
"

So let's go back to the original subject.  That is pre-Han, especially Warring States Era, there were nationalism developing between the states and there was no concept of one race in the land where people consider to be China today.

Have we resolved this?  Or are you still insisting that even in Warring States, The concept of one China was already in place?"

Chinese people have always been referred to as Hua people even during pre-han time. They are descendants of Hua Xia.

Han is just a name adopted to name the Hua people.

Which part of it do u not understand?

I've made this point many times already.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 20:54

"Actually I think it's more like Russian scientists after the end of cold war going to work for other countries because they lost their jobs.  That does not mean Russia and those nations are the same one.  "

More as in what? Su Qin is just like Matternich, he speaks all the languages of the 6 kingdoms since they are not much different, while drawing on the alliance, this has nothing to do with preference over any one in particular. Thats why nationalism did not exist in the strong sense and people don't really care about serving their kingdom if opportunity rises for them to rise higher.

"You might also compare it to Columbus going to other nations to find leaders that will support and fund his idea.  That does not make him feel he is anyless Portrigese. "

Same concept with Matternich.

warhead wrote:

"Define "from the beginning". "

The begining means when the first state is formed in the Central Plains.

"But I don't agree with that point of view.  The concept of the Emperor is the son of heaven started after the concept of Emperor was established."

No it wasn't, son of heaven existed before the term emperor, the Zhou king was also the Son of Heaven. This is clearly recorded in Shi Ji.

"Also as I said before, the term "Zhong Guo", what you call "middle kingdom" did not mean a kingdom until after Warring States.  Which is established by Han dynasty by the help of Confucism."

No, it was a kingdom or the term would not exist, only that this kingdom was restricted to Zhou which was Zhong Guo, this concept of a middle kingdom is no different from that down to the last dynasty. Confucianism has nothing to do with it. In fact I don't even know how you associate Confucianism with the Middle kingdom considering they have no relationship whatsoever. Needless to say Cponfucious himself drew his philosophy from the existing cultural elements that are alerady established.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 21:03

"Chinese people have always been referred to as Hua people even during pre-han time. They are descendants of Hua Xia."

No they haven't, hua is a cultural term not ethnical, the people before Han has a concept of race because there are terms refering to those people that are of a different race. Of course that doesn't mean these people of different race can not be absorbed. The people back then clearly distinguished between Zhong Yuan with none Zhong Yuan, quite no different from how there is a Hellenic world. And how Ingland first came to been. Nor was it different from the Holy Roman Empire is Germany. Racial influxation is actually quite overexaggerated by previous historians, in more recent years, all the theories of invasions and populations shifts are out of date. Theories such as the Aryan invasion of India, Gothic invasion of Italy, Germanic invasion of Britain didn't make much of a large population difference in genetics, and there is no reason to suppose that prior to the Qin, the people of the central plain are completely multiracial, the "Han" was most likely still the dominant race. Yet, the old concept of Han as the only continuous race in history is also largely out of date, it would seem most nations has a direct lineage to their predecessors in the same territory since the begining of civilization.

ianhughes View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ianhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2004 at 07:36

I'm no historian, but based from what I know/read:

- The Chinese weren't so much conquerors as such. Every outside nation they didn't consider "barbaric" was based on trade (and I'd think China would be the benefactor here rather than vice versa).

- Tendancy to have vassal states RATHER than conquering it.

- Had too much of an ego and thought Northerners (mainly Mongolians and Manchurians) were barbaric people.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 05:52

I still stand by that what made the difference between Han Chinese and Central Plane concept of imperialism and European's imperialism is that Europe's lack of an Han dynasty equivalent.

I know a lot of you will say it is because Europeans lack the "all people are one race" concept.

But let's see:

Han Chinese: All people are descendents of Huang Di and Yan Di.

Europe: All people are descendents of Adam and Eve.

Not only are Yan Di and Huang Di unrelated people for the Han in the first place, the European's belief is even enforced by their religion.

So why couldn't they have come to the same conclusion like the Han Chinese did?

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
ianhughes View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ianhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 06:57
I've always had a perception that China preferred to trade and I suppose in their favour with other nations or set them up as vassal states. Europeans tended to conquer and control foreign lands? At least thats what I see as the main difference anyway.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 19:21

Originally posted by ianhughes

I've always had a perception that China preferred to trade and I suppose in their favour with other nations or set them up as vassal states. Europeans tended to conquer and control foreign lands? At least thats what I see as the main difference anyway.

You got the hindsight symptom =P  Ancient Chinese despised commerce.  Although there were certainly merchants, they were the lowest class.  There were also some economic renovation, such as Wang Anshi's attempted reform to have the government lend money to peasants through credits and the invention of paper money, but the dominant intellectual and Confucian base of ancient China preferred "production for use" (such as agriculture) rather than "production for gain" (commerce.)  You are probably looking from the hindsight of the modern world where we see Chinese people are good business people, but in ancient China, being a merchant wasn't a very noble thing.

ianhughes View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ianhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 20:38
Originally posted by MengTzu

Originally posted by ianhughes

You got the hindsight symptom =P  Ancient Chinese despised commerce.  Although there were certainly merchants, they were the lowest class.  There were also some economic renovation, such as Wang Anshi's attempted reform to have the government lend money to peasants through credits and the invention of paper money, but the dominant intellectual and Confucian base of ancient China preferred "production for use" (such as agriculture) rather than "production for gain" (commerce.)  You are probably looking from the hindsight of the modern world where we see Chinese people are good business people, but in ancient China, being a merchant wasn't a very noble thing.

I'm no Chinese historian but yeah. I know merchants were the most despised social group in ancient China (I think it was because they didnt produce anything or help the "country" in any way...).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234