Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexanders Sexuality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexanders Sexuality
    Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 02:01

I just watched Alexander.

In the movie, he looks kinda homonsexual and falls in love with some guy.

No offense to homosexuals or anyone but i would like to have a clarification on this.

Edited by coolstorm
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 04:23

This is a topic that has exausted itself a long time ago.

Sexual ethics of ancient Greece were not the same as our own and if we see it according to our Christian morality we'd say that he was "gay" or "Bi" or whatever.

In reality, people back then were not concerned about these issues the way we do and they would receive sexual pleasure in any way they would see fit as long as it wouldn't pass some reasonable limitations.

So a comtemporary to describe somebody as "bi" would be meaningless.

But don't pay too much attention to historical facts in the movie because you'll be disappointed. Just watch it and have fun with it!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 04:44
There has ben a great deal of discusion of this issue in the past month or so.  See the discussion here: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=841& PN=1 and the excellent essay by Dr. Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman of The Pennsylvania State University which is reproduced online here: http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 13:39
Originally posted by Yiannis

This is a topic that has exausted itself a long time ago.

Sexual ethics of ancient Greece were not the same as our own and if we see it according to our Christian morality we'd say that he was "gay" or "Bi" or whatever.

In reality, people back then were not concerned about these issues the way we do and they would receive sexual pleasure in any way they would see fit as long as it wouldn't pass some reasonable limitations.

So a comtemporary to describe somebody as "bi" would be meaningless.

But don't pay too much attention to historical facts in the movie because you'll be disappointed. Just watch it and have fun with it!

I agree

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 19:50
Live with it.  He liked men, probably more than women.
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 22:24
Heh.  As Yiannis said, it was acceptable in Greece.  Remember, it is said that the Thebans marched hand in hand, tutor with soldier student, into battle - and it wasn't unlikely that they had sex during their spare time - it was bonding, and unity in battle is one of the most important aspects of any military force.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 22:37
dont care about his sexual preference either way, movie is awful.

welcome DuxPimpJuice! We have an introduction thread in the Tavern, hop in.

-

Edited by Catt
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 11:14

at that time sex and sexuality between men was as normal as it was between men and women.

and they didnt have any age restriction either, i still cant understand this but it was allowed by the childern's perants that their childern can do it with each other or with older people too!!!

i got that from a book i read some years ago.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 11:16

i forgot to mention  the movie was a disappointment

i dont see where the 150+ million went

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 05:02

Unfortunately homos probably always will exist as they have through history in every civilization. But from that to saying they were any kind of norm or accepted in ancient Hellas is the least I can say stupid and show total lack of knowledge on the topic Hellas.

The only way for a homo to be accepted in Hellas was, if he had previously "gone public" with his homosexual lifestyle. In that case, though he would have been permitted to live, he would, under Athenian law (grafi etairisios), not be permitted to
become one of the nine archons, nor to discharge the office of priest, nor to
act as an advocate for the state, nor shall he hold any office whatsoever, at home or abroad, whether filled by lot or by election; he shall not be sent as a herald; he shall not take part in debate, nor be present at the public sacrifices; when the citizens are wearing garlands, he shall wear none; and he shall not enter within the limits of the place that has been purified for the assembling of the people. Any man who has been convicted of defying these prohibitions pertaining to sexual conduct shall be put to death (Aeschines. "Contra Timarchus," ( so basicaly he didn`t even exist, easy to understand if you`ve read anything about ancient Athens )

some things that MUST be read from the original texts:

Aeschines in his speech Contra Timarchus based his defense on the law which denied any participation in public affairs by homosexuals and pederasts. According to the law of "same-sex companionship" (graf etairsios), any citizen could bring charges against a person suspected or known to be a sodomite or a pederast. Aeschines will attempt to prove that Timarchus did not have the civil right to bring charges against him because his "lifestyle"-- that of a "passive" homosexual ( i.e., a knaidos, the most repulsive and destructive form of homosexuality, according to the Greeks)legally rendered him a non-person according to Athenian law

Some of the laws mentioned :

a) The teachers of the boys shall open the school-rooms not earlier than sunrise,and they shall close them before sunset. No person who is older than the boys shall be permitted to enter the room while they are there, unless he be a son of the teacher, a brother, or a daughter's husband. If any one enter in violation of this prohibition, he shall be punished with death. The superintendents of the gymnasia shall under no conditions allow any one who has reached the age of manhood to enter the contests of Hermes together with the boys. A gymnasiarch who does permit this and fails to keep such a person out of the gymnasium, shall be liable to the penalties prescribed for the seduction of free-born youth. Every choregus who is appointed by the people shall be more than forty years of age.

b) If any Athenian shall outrage a free-born child, the parent or guardian of the child shall prosecute him before the Thesmothetae, and shall demand a specific penalty. If the court condemn the accused to death, he shall be delivered to the constables and be put to death the same day. If he be con- demned to pay a fine, and be unable to pay the fine immediately, he must pay within eleven days after the trial, and he shall remain in prison until payment is made. The same action shall hold against those who abuse the persons of slaves.

c) If any Athenian shall have prostituted his person, he shall not be permitted to become one of the nine archons, nor to discharge the office of priest, nor to act as an advocate for the state, nor shall he hold any office whatsoever, at home or abroad, whether filled by lot or by election; he shall not be sent as a herald; he shall not take part in debate, nor be present at the public sacrifices; when the citizens are wearing garlands, he shall wear none; and he shall not enter within the limits of the place that has been purified for the assembling of the people. If any man who has been convicted of prostitution act contrary to these prohibitions, he shall be put to death.

Aeschines then summoned the jury to remember their (Athenian) ancestors, who were "stern ... toward all shameful conduct," and considered the purity of their children and fellow citizens to be "precious." He goes on to give an example regarding the way the Lacedaemonians (Spartans) felt about such matters. He justifies his praising the Spartans by quoting an old Athenian saying which teaches that it is "well to imitate virtue even in a foreigner." [kalon d' esti dai tas xenikas mimesthai.]

Julianus, Flavius Claudius ("the Apostate") educated in Greek "paideia". On the subject in question, writes:

Then never think, my friend, that you are free while your belly rules you and the part below the belly, since you will then have masters who can either furnish you with the means of pleasure or deprive you of them. (Oration VI, 196 c.)

Plato talks about how homosexuals must worry about being found out:

If you are afraid of public opinion, and fear that if people find out your love affair you will be disgraced. (Phaedrus, 231 e.)

More Plato:
This law is the cause of countless blessings. For, in the first place, it follows the dictates of nature, and it serves to keep men from sexual rage and frenzy and all kindsof fornication, and from all excess in meats and drinks, and it ensures in husbands fondness for their own wives. (Laws, VIII. 839 a - b.)

I maintain ... that our citizens must not be worse than fowls and many other animals which are produced in large broods, and which live chaste and celibate lives withoutsexual intercourse until they arrive at the age for breeding; and when they reach this age they pair off, as instinct moves them, male with female and female with male; and thereafter they live in a way that is holy and just, remaining constant to their first contracts of love: surely our citizens should at least be better than these animals.(Laws, VIII. 840 d - e.)

About Alexander the Great, Plutarch has this to say:

When the governor of the coast-lands of Asia Minor wrote to Alexander that there was in Ionia a youth, the like of whom for bloom and beauty did not exist, and inquired in his letter whether he should send the boy on to him, Alexander wrote bitterly in reply, "Vilest of men, what deed of this sort have you ever been privy to in my past that now you would flatter me with the offer of such pleasures?" (On The Fortune of Alexander, 333 a - b.)

About the Spartans:

Affectionate regard for boys of good character was permissible, but embracing themwas held to be disgraceful, on the ground that the affection was for the body and not for the mind. Any man against whom complaint was made of any disgraceful embracing was deprived of all civic rights for life. (Ancient Customs of the Spartans, 7. 237 - c.)

That the law against pederasty was violated on occasion there can be no doubt, but there is also no doubt that it was illegal. For instance, Plutarch writes:

Pederasty needs a fair pretext for approaching the young and beautiful, so it pretends friendship and virtue. It covers itself with the sand of the wrestling-floor, it takes cold baths, it plays the highbrow and publicly proclaims that it is a philosopher and disciplined
on the outside -- because of the law. (Dialogue on Love, 752 - a. Emphasis added.)

Other sources:
Robert Flaceliere in his book Love in Ancient Greece (trans. by James Cleugh. Frederick Muller Ltd., London; 1962) :

On page 140 he writes: "The permanent popularity of courtesans [hetairai] in ancient Greece is surely the best proof that homosexuals were either not consistently so or not particularly numerous. We have already suggested that inversion was never very prevalent except in one class of society and over quite a limited period."

Bruce S Thornton, a professor of Classics at California State University, Fresno,
In the preface (p. xiii) of his book titled Eros: (The Myth of Ancient Greek Sexuality).
States in no uncertain terms that the Greeks "were horrified and disgusted by the idea of a male being anally penetrated by another male, and called such behavior 'against nature.' "

On page 100, Dr. Thornton writes:

Very little, if any, evidence from ancient Greece survives that shows adult males (or females) as "couples" involved in an ongoing, reciprocal sexual and emotional relationship in which sex with women (or men) is moot and the age difference is no more significant than it is in heterosexual relationships.

This stupid theory is based on a mistranslation.

"eromenos" from "eromai" = to ask, enquire
And "erastes" from "erao"/ "eraomai" = to be in love with, without sexual reference to love warmly/admire
it also gives us "eromene" = the beloved one

A character in Plutarch's Erotikos (Dialogue on Love) argues that the noble lover of beauty "falls" in love wherever he sees excellence and splendid natural endowment without regard for any difference in physiological detail.

So we see that gender just becomes an irrelevant detail and instead the excellence in character and beauty is what is most important.

Hmm... isn't this exactly what "erastes" means ?

Since the topic is about Alexander, I'll provide some more TRUE FACTS.
From our 3 Hellinic sources on Alexander (Arrian, Diodorus and Plutarch) we never once see the mistranslated terms "Erates' or "Eromenos" (according to the mistranslated theory the two members of the homo relationship) but we do find the words "philos"= friend or "malista timomenos"= very honoured.
Alexander himself calls Hephaestion "Philalexandros"= friend of Alexander.
And in the Latin sources (Curtius and Justin) we find "amicus"=friendly but we never once find "amans"= a lover.

I also saw the Sacred band of Thebes being ridiculed in here, people please!!!

Plutarch records the words of Philip, touring the field after the battle in his Life of Pelopidas:
"lying all where they had faced the long spears of his phalanx, with their armour, and mingled one with another, he was amazed, and on learning that this was the band of (erastes=teachers) and (eromenoi=tutors), he shed tears and said, 'Perish miserably they who think that these men did or suffered aught disgraceful!'"
Philip buried their bodies with honor, setting up the Lion of Chaeronea over them. Note that the tomb was found, proving Plutarchs account to be correct.

The text according to all the wanna-be historian's translations I've seen, wrongly suggest that they were a band of homos and give the well known (by now) mistranslation of (erastes) and (eromenos), you know the alleged lovers.
Quote:

an army should be made up of lovers and their loves
When you take a look at the original text you find:
Quote:
(genesthai e stratopedon eraston te kai paidikon)
So, we have the "lover" theory but NO eromenos= (the "passive" lover)
but we find (paidikon) that means (a child, boyish) still in use today in modern Hellinic (see "paidi"=child) a very common word in Hellinic texts.

The strategic innovation of Gorgidas, was to change the form of Thebean battle tactics. Untill then the young were the front line (strength) and the older (knowledge) were in the rear.
He mixed them, combining the strength of the young with the knoledge of the old thus, creating an unbeatable army.

The reason of the development of this theory, is of course, simple. The Hellines have always been viewed as a model of civilisation. So what better way to justify their sick nature than by connecting it to the greatness of the Hellinic civilization and thus legitimise same-sex?
This is simply proved when you see that the main supporters of this theory are: Michel Foucault, John Boswell, John Winkler and David Halperin (just to mention a few) were or are all HOMOS.

Another thing to think about:
At the 6th International Symposium on Ancient Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece, concluded that King Philip II of Macedonia was bisexual.

Now the interesting part:
During this "symposium" these alleged historians were comfronted by the well known (in Hellas that is) Hellin researcher Kyriakos Delopoulos.
What he managed to uncover is very interesting.

The two main speakers were Kate Modersen and Mandian (spelling) were the main speakers, both well respected historians and professors at New England University.
He argued with them on the topic, his arguments were based on the original texts, by original I mean in ancient Hellinic, not translated.
These wanna-be historians couldn't read a word in ancient Hellinic and of course had no idea on how to translate the text.
It was all over the Hellinic news how they were ridiculed and left, long before it even ended.

So, what historians are we talking about when they can't even read the original SOURCES and how credible can their opinion really be?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 14:11

wow  thats alot of reading

ok what i understood is that homosexuality was not normal and homos were not treated as the rest

ok  does these rules apply to the king himself?

i dont think so

does it apply to any of the royalites?

you wrote

Originally posted by Hellinas

About Alexander the Great, Plutarch has this to say:

When the governor of the coast-lands of Asia Minor wrote to Alexander that there was in Ionia a youth, the like of whom for bloom and beauty did not exist, and inquired in his letter whether he should send the boy on to him, Alexander wrote bitterly in reply, "Vilest of men, what deed of this sort have you ever been privy to in my past that now you would flatter me with the offer of such pleasures?" (On The Fortune of Alexander, 333 a - b.)

putting aside what alexander replied

he was " Offered"  which means a king wont be offered anything which was considered not normal.... he was offered and he chose not to take it for some reasons ( may be he didnt want peace)

so he was offered a what? a "boy"  while alexander was in his 20s and a 'boy' will be less than 15 maybe less than 13 ( age difference  NOT applying to the roles above)

it was common enough that the king will be offered something like this

its like giving him an offer to get marry to a princess for peace porpuse

or giving him a slave girle as a present ( this is more common in history)

but to give him a boy !!  

i think it was more normal than what you think

and the rules you mentioned may not apply to many

by the way this site has lots of info about Alexander III http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/alexander/

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 18:59

>>i think it was more normal than what you think<<

Interesting point you've made. But the very fact that we have absolutely NO original source that supports the homo theory is all the proof needed.

I've seen the homo supporters even try to use the myth of the abduction of Ganymedes by Zeus. The funny thing is they all conviniently never give any attention to what Xenophon wrote about the very name Ganymedes.

Symposium (also known as Banquet). 8.54-58
"to show you that not men only, but gods and heroes, set greater store by friendship of the soul than bodily enjoyment. Thus those fair women [55] whom Zeus, enamoured of their outward beauty, wedded, he permitted mortal to
remain; but those heroes whose souls he held in admiration, these he
raised to immortality. Of whom are Heracles and the Dioscuri, and
there are others also named.[56] As I maintain, it was not for his
body's sake, but for his soul's, that Ganymede[57] was translated to
Olympus, as the story goes, by Zeus. And to this his very name bears
witness, for is it not written in Homer?

And he continues 8.59
"Knowing deep devices {medea} in his mind, [59]
which is as much as to say, "Knowing wise counsels in his mind."
Ganymede, therefore, bears a name compounded of the two words, "joy"
and "counsel," and is honoured among the gods, not as one "whose
body," but "whose mind" "gives pleasure."

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:02
i think he was not gay, just had feelings (non sexual) towards men
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2012 at 19:14
Alexander was gay, or at least bisexual. His favorite lover was a Persian eunuch called Bagoas who rose to become vizier
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2012 at 23:55

Bagoas is only mentioned as having been kissed by Alexander at the behest and teasing of his companions. The overt tales of Alexander's "relationship" with him, comes straight from fiction. We shouldn't believe Mary Renault's interpretation of Alexander's sexuality any more than we should believe McCullough's interpretations that Caesar was going to restore the Republic.

There is simply nothing in the texts thats support it.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2012 at 19:37
I think there's more to it than playful kissing. This book suggests Alexander had both male and female lovers as eunuchs served as male prostitutes in ancient Greece and Persia:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S-cTfNjEhrcC&pg=PA144&dq=bagoas+alexander&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LIzcT-vUBcjs0gX1rL3UCg&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bagoas%20alexander&f=false
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 01:28
The only mention of Alexander's interaction with Bagoas comes from Plutarch. The writer of Alexander's Lovers can say anything he likes, but without true sources to base them on....it's just conjecture and gobbledegook.

I don't want my debate to be taken as a defense of a non-omnisexual Alexander, as I have no doubt that he had boy/ male lovers as well as female ones. My debate comes from the fact that people automatically believe in the Bagoas fable, as well as a relationship with Hephaiston...without any basis in recorded fact. Much of it comes from the Alexander Romances of later generations...just like Achilles and Patroclus.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 02:43
It was world without commitments for sure.Sharing of sexual partners ignite animal law inside human nature:sexual intercourse as proof for your position inside group!Look the monkeys!I prefer monogamy if
it could be done at all!LOL
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 08:46
Plutarch was using previous authors (he lists quite a few), but I agree that the notion that Alexander was homosexual is difficult to support. He certainly had a close emotional attachment to Hephaiston, and possibly Bagoas, but close emotional attachment does not automatically mean sex. Neither does kissing or giving gifts.

Accounts of Alexander give the idea that he was adverse to sexual relationships just for sake of them (he refuses offers of both young boys and women, and is noted to have ignored the idea of taking the wife and daughters of Darius). But he was married three times (solely for political reasons?) and possibly had two mistresses (although some doubt this). One story says his parents were even worried that his lack of sexual interest meant he wouldn't produce a heir. What is political writing and what is accurate biography is hard to say. A young king who didn't automatically take mistresses or have lots of concubines and children might have looked suspicious to some, or been a god-send to his detractors.

Edited by Sidney - 17-Jun-2012 at 09:02
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by BattleGlory

Live with it.  He liked men, probably more than women.

How could you possibly know that? Which original source does describe sexual acts between Alexander and other men?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>