Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How old is the name of your country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How old is the name of your country?
    Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 03:07
     In 1521, Ferdinand Magellan landed in Samar Island on his voyage to circumvent the globe. He explored the islands and named it Archipelago of San Lazaro. Magellan was killed during a rebellion led by a datu named Lapu Lapu in Mactan Island (adjacent to Cebu Island. Spain continued to send expeditions to the island for financial gain and on the fourth expedition, Commander Ruy Lopez de Villalobos, named the islands Philippines after Prince Philip (later King Philip II), heir to the Spanish throne. Spain ruled the Philippines for 356 years.

%5bFlag of Philippines%5d        

Edited by Bugay2 - 16-Jul-2006 at 03:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 19:06
I really have very little factual knowledge on the origin of the name 'Britain', to label the Island, but a mythical story speaks of a very early king named 'Brutan' who spread his name about the land, according to something I read about the Roman empire.

wow... what i nerd i must sound like!

Edited by DonLeone - 30-Jul-2006 at 19:07
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 01:29
Romania - 1859
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 20:09
I think the oldest name is Persia. It also could be Egypt or China.
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 20:27
i really dont know...Egypt has too many branches...

Hikaptah>Aigyptos>Egypt

Mizraim>Mizr>Misr
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:07
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

What is the first mention of the exact name of your country?

In 1535, Jacques Cartier picked up the word "kanata" from 2 Huron-Iroquois warriors.  "Kanata" was the Huron & Iroquois word for "settlement."  Cartier then started to use the word "Canada" to refer to the entire area.

I don't know precisely when the Huron & Iroquois started using that word, probably a very long time before Cartier:

Edited by Hellios - 08-Oct-2006 at 21:19
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:36
Originally posted by Red4tribe

United States Of America:1776

230 years old

To expand on this, the term for the American continents was first written of by the German cartographer Martin Waldseemller, after the 15th-16th century Italian cartographer Amerigo Vespucci. Vespucci stylized his name in Latin form, being Americus Vespucius, and on his world map of 1507, Martin Waldseemller feminized Vespucci's Latin first-name to America, not Americus. Of course, the United States of America comes from the American Revolutionary War in North America against the British Empire in 1776, the various states being previous colonies of the British Crown.

Eric
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:51
Spain:

Spn: phoenicians/cartaghinians, VIII century BC ?
Iberia: greeks, VI century BC
Hispania: from punics to romans, II century BC
Spagne/Espaa: southern french to native spaniards, XI century AC
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 11:04
Sweden was probably first mentioned in Beowulf (8th century, although the oldest surviving written copy is from around 1000 iirc), in Old English as Sworce, which linguistically speaking is the same as the modern native Sverige. Sweden is a derivative of this in some way or another.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 09-Oct-2006 at 11:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 12:01
Land of tin, Britin ,mentioned by herodotus, 500 bc. or britons, pritons,basicly, painted ones. england , i guess from the, land of the angles.

Ing guur lundd.

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

As I mentioned here Ardeshir I(r. 226241), founder of the Sassanid empire, hasnamed his realm Iranabout1780 years agoin this trilingual inscription of Naghsh-e Rustam:

This is the figure of the worshipper of Mazda the lord Ardashir, King of kings of Iran who is the face of the God and the son of the lord Babak the king.

the inscription writes :"...king of Arians.." not Iran.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 13:45
Originally posted by Brainstorm

[QUOTE=Cyrus Shahmiri]

As I mentioned here Ardeshir I (r. 226241), founder of the Sassanid empire, has named his realm Iran about 1780 years ago in this trilingual inscription of Naghsh-e Rustam:

the inscription writes :"...king of Arians.." not Iran.

You can read that? How awesome.... Clap

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12