Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Burka vs Bikini ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burka vs Bikini ???
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Master_Blaster

I love how the feminists think that if a girl isn't having premarital sex or isn't promisicuous - then she must be oppressed! ROFL

No wonder Western men are such pussies. Their women have the cocks.

You must be dating some unusual people. Tongue
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:41
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by Master_Blaster

I love how the feminists think that if a girl isn't having premarital sex or isn't promisicuous - then she must be oppressed! ROFL

No wonder Western men are such pussies. Their women have the cocks.

You must be dating some unusual people. Tongue

LOL

No, not really.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 11:01
I've yet to meet a woman with a cock, but if I do, I'm sure we can work something out, especially if she's wearing a bikini.

Burkas? Come on, even the Muslims must be able to see how drab it looks, at this point they must be wearing them solely out of spite. LOL

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 11:24
This point has already been made or implied by some forumers here but I just have to re-iterate it. Many women in non-Western societies stay married not because they have a satisfactory marriage. They do so because society pressures them to stay married even if they are unhappy or even abused. In the West, at least women have a choice.

And to answer the original question raised in this thread: burka or bikini. In my opinion, both can be seen as tools of suppression of women and neither is better. However, at least in the West, a woman can choose to wear either. In some, if not most, Muslim countries, a woman would probably be murdered the moment she shows herself wearing a bikini in public. So ultimately it returns to the basic issue of choice, not burka or bikini. You've asked the wrong question.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 10:36
Very well said, Flyingzone!     

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 01:15
Originally posted by flyingzone

This point has already been made or implied by some forumers here but I just have to re-iterate it. Many women in non-Western societies stay married not because they have a satisfactory marriage. They do so because society pressures them to stay married even if they are unhappy or even abused. In the West, at least women have a choice.

And to answer the original question raised in this thread: burka or bikini. In my opinion, both can be seen as tools of suppression of women and neither is better. However, at least in the West, a woman can choose to wear either. In some, if not most, Muslim countries, a woman would probably be murdered the moment she shows herself wearing a bikini in public. So ultimately it returns to the basic issue of choice, not burka or bikini. You've asked the wrong question.

Fair enough, but I think you got a couple of things wrong also.

1) If society pressures women to stay married, the same could be said of men being pressured to stay married. I don't think there's some gender specific factor in this. Personal opinion is that it's just people's outlooks on the thing possibly with some cultural influences. It's actually more difficult on the man sometimes to stay married to a woman and bring up their kids together than for a man to run off and lead the woman to bring them up by herself.

2) Your second paragraph I think you're wrong on. The important point is the issue of choice as you said, not quantity of clothing. For example, women in African tribes might dance around naked, and other women in African tribes might cover up themselves. According to what you wrote, they have greater choice, but I think if women in Western countries started walking around with no clothes on, this would result in criminal prosecutions being brought from concerned padres and madres. There's a line where people draw. In most Muslim countries, being conservative regions, the line is a choice of burkha or no burkha, Hijab or no Hijab, they still have a choice in the matter. It's simply what each society finds distasteful, which in conservative places, is of course going to mean more clothing being worn. Also, a woman would be prosecuted probably for wearing a bikini under obscenity laws, rather than murdered most likely in Muslim countries.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 31-Jul-2006 at 01:17
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 07:10
Even better said, Teldeinduz.

Of course, in the middle east, if the man should apply for divorce that will in some weird way inflict a greater social stigma on the woman than the man. We can't escape the fact, no matter how we twist and turn it, that women in the middle east have fewer choices in life than men, even if men too are restricted.

As for your second paragraph, TeldeInduz, it's funny you should say so because not long ago a glamour model made a stunt out of walking naked through the capital here, without any negative consequences. I don't think this is such an impossibility in the most tolerant of the western countries, but doing it will draw a whole lot of attention as well as embarassment for all but the most courageous. I can't help but doubt how attractive it truly is to walk around in the birthday suit, personally I'd never consider it but if someone desires to do so it's of really no matter to me.

IMO, the key to sexy clothing is not showing everything while not hiding it too well either.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 11:06
Originally posted by Reginmund

Even better said, Teldeinduz.

Of course, in the middle east, if the man should apply for divorce that will in some weird way inflict a greater social stigma on the woman than the man. We can't escape the fact, no matter how we twist and turn it, that women in the middle east have fewer choices in life than men, even if men too are restricted.

As for your second paragraph, TeldeInduz, it's funny you should say so because not long ago a glamour model made a stunt out of walking naked through the capital here, without any negative consequences. I don't think this is such an impossibility in the most tolerant of the western countries, but doing it will draw a whole lot of attention as well as embarassment for all but the most courageous. I can't help but doubt how attractive it truly is to walk around in the birthday suit, personally I'd never consider it but if someone desires to do so it's of really no matter to me.

IMO, the key to sexy clothing is not showing everything while not hiding it too well either.

Hi Reginmund, I think you're probably about right. 

For publicity stunts you can get away with the odd obscenity act in the West, though I'm not sure your average person off the street could do so without being arrested. Care to try?  
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 13:58
Nah, I'm too shy. Tongue
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 14:36
how about bikini under the burka?
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by Zagros

Isn't that common in the Middle East?Tongue
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

If society pressures women to stay married, the same could be said of men being pressured to stay married. I don't think there's some gender specific factor in this. Personal opinion is that it's just people's outlooks on the thing possibly with some cultural influences. It's actually more difficult on the man sometimes to stay married to a woman and bring up their kids together than for a man to run off and lead the woman to bring them up by herself.

I think to argue whether men or women "suffer more" when it comes to societial pressure on marriages is a little bit silly, in my opinion. Even in the Western world, patriarchy is still very much the norm. Yes, men do "suffer", but if you are trying to argue that they do to the same extent that women do, you need a reality check of the status of women all over the world.

I think the "point" that you brought up can only be a side argument, not a main one.

Edited by flyingzone - 01-Aug-2006 at 18:46
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 22:12
Originally posted by flyingzone

If society pressures women to stay married, the same could be said of men being pressured to stay married. I don't think there's some gender specific factor in this. Personal opinion is that it's just people's outlooks on the thing possibly with some cultural influences. It's actually more difficult on the man sometimes to stay married to a woman and bring up their kids together than for a man to run off and lead the woman to bring them up by herself.

I think to argue whether men or women "suffer more" when it comes to societial pressure on marriages is a little bit silly, in my opinion. Even in the Western world, patriarchy is still very much the norm. Yes, men do "suffer", but if you are trying to argue that they do to the same extent that women do, you need a reality check of the status of women all over the world.

I think the "point" that you brought up can only be a side argument, not a main one.

I'm far from arguing men suffer more from societal pressures, only mentioning that it works for both sexes. I think the initial point was that women in Muslim countries do not divorce because of societal pressures, and therefore they do not have a choice, whereas Western women do have a choice, so choose to get divorced more often. There's actually plenty of ways to skin this, not least being culturally related reasons. But assuming your assertion is correct, and the women in Muslim countries do not divorce because societal pressures are so great that they would be stigmatized, my point was that the same societal pressures will act on the man also as this is all within something "enclosed" if you like. Men and women will also have different priorities, which is something else needs taking into account - when I said above that I think it's more difficult on the man to stay married, I wasn't comparing this to women but to other men who "choose" to go round having kids with other women.

However, I actually disagree that societal pressures are really a major factor in putting up with unhappy marriages, as you will find even in places where divorce is common, women will to an extent put up with unhappy marriages for one reason or other, none of them being societal pressure, more so security issues ironically. I also do believe it's possible that abuse is not just physical, it can be mental abuse also, which is something that can apply to men to create some unhappy marriage situations. 

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 09:30

However, I actually disagree that societal pressures are really a major factor in putting up with unhappy marriages, as you will find even in places where divorce is common, women will to an extent put up with unhappy marriages for one reason or other, none of them being societal pressure, more so security issues ironically. 

It is not ironic. In fact it is a major part of the problem that has to be viewed in the context of patriarchy and its influence not just on the institution of sex and marriage, but also on things such as income inequality, access to education and health, employment opportunity etc. Because women are inferior to men in all these aspects in virtually every corner of the world, even in developed countries, many women have no option but to stay in unhappy or even abusive marriage because they don't have other options as men have. I still call that "societal pressure" on women to stay married in bad marriages.

I think your definition of "societal pressure" is much narrower than mine. You define "societal pressure" in terms of society's perception of divorce. I define it in the context of patriarchy. But I think we are essentially talking about the same thing.

Of course women are capable of abusing their husband - both emotionally and even physically. However, again, we have to look at the context here. The system favours men everywhere in the world. That is an undeniable fact. So both the kind and frequency of abuse that women have to endure far surpass those that men have to endure. Moreover, everywhere in the world, men always have more options than women. That's why I insist that your observation, while valid, can only be seen as a footnote rather than the main argument. If I were a community leader and if I had limited resources to deal with the problem in my community, I would definitely try to address that of women in abusive relationships than men in abusive relationships. This may sound harsh, but women have been the victim of unequal treatment for thousands of years. Now, it's time society at large gave them the priority. The problem of men, in my opinion, can wait.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 12:58

as shown here...

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 14:32
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

as shown here...

Nice Darth Vader Burka, Ulrich!

"Morty

annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 10:35
As a woman I find this statement very condescending and belittleing..  Feminists think females should have the same power as men make the choice whether to have or not to have sex before or after marriage.  It is a very personal decision and should be respected as such.  Feminisn is not only about sexual choices, it is about life choices and the ability to make these choices freely and accept responsiblity for them.    That acceptence of responsibility seems to be missing from machismo(I am sure some male in this forum will attempt to 'correct' this assumption). 
Ever notice how people with daughters are sometimes so much more restrictive with the daughters than sons?  It would be interesting to hear the reasons put forward for this.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 16:04
Originally posted by annechka

As a woman I find this statement very condescending and belittleing.. Feminists think females should have the same power as men make the choice whether to have or not to have sex before or after marriage. It is a very personal decision and should be respected as such. Feminisn is not only about sexual choices, it is about life choices and the ability to make these choices freely and accept responsiblity for them.    That acceptence of responsibility seems to be missing from machismo(I am sure some male in this forum will attempt to 'correct' this assumption).
Ever notice how people with daughters are sometimes so much more restrictive with the daughters than sons? It would be interesting to hear the reasons put forward for this.

Very well said, Annechka! Unfortunately, the women's rights movement still has a long way to go! We've only just begun! (as sung by Karen Carpenter - I don't know why, but AE's Ulrich Von whatever just came to mind) I hate it when I start thinking like him!
"Morty

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 20:50

Originally posted by annechka

As a woman I find this statement very condescending and belittleing..  Feminists think females should have the same power as men make the choice whether to have or not to have sex before or after marriage.  It is a very personal decision and should be respected as such.  Feminisn is not only about sexual choices, it is about life choices and the ability to make these choices freely and accept responsiblity for them.    That acceptence of responsibility seems to be missing from machismo(I am sure some male in this forum will attempt to 'correct' this assumption). 

Ever notice how people with daughters are sometimes so much more restrictive with the daughters than sons?  It would be interesting to hear the reasons put forward for this.

It was condescending and belittling to feminists but not to women.  I agree with you in that, both women and men ought to have the same rights in making personal choices that directly affect them I just do not believe that either side should propagate their views. If a feminist wants to believe that she is achieving equality and working for the enhancement of women by being the office slut then that is her right, I just do not want to see her forcing that view upon others.

As far as the second part of your statement is concerned, what is so wrong with treating your son somewhat differently than your daughter? Females are far more vulnerable than males. It is far more likely that a young female would be taken advantage of if she were out late with some guy friends. I do not see anything wrong with being overprotective of your female kind.
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 22:21
this  topic and the feminism topic seem to be eliciting very similar responses..

why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>