Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lithuanian munition in XIV century

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithuanian munition in XIV century
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 11:40
Finally the munition's reconstruction of Grand Duchy of Lithuania warrior were created. You can see pics here:

Edited by Svyturys - 20-Jul-2006 at 11:42
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:02

It's interesting how powerful the Baltic states used to be- apparently sword swinging Lithuanians in the middle ages made it to the black sea!

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:10
Originally posted by Earl Aster

It's interesting how powerful the Baltic states used to be- apparently sword swinging Lithuanians in the middle ages made it to the black sea!

One of the characteristic features of Baltic pagan religion was worshiping Gods associated with militarism. Though in the same time Lithuanian pagans were very tolerant in religious matters and their rule was often more welcomed by orthodox christians over Golden Horde.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:33
Well the Lithuanians were much more advanced than the Estonians and Latvians(Semgals, Latgals, Sels etc) at the time so i think the Lithuanians are the only sign of Baltic former power, not any of the other Baltic tribes.

The Lithuanians have always been paradoxal to me: the last people to give up pagansim in Europe and today they are competing as being the most fervorous catholics with the Poles and Spaniards.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:40
Yes, the Latvians have only really had some success in the Hanseatic league, a 14-17 century city state, Riga (which incidently did quite well!) and some republics. I am not trying to insult the Latvians- i lived there for 2 years and it is a beautiful and interesting country- i am just stating history

Also, did you know that that Lithuanian resistance to Christianity was so strong, the pope had to call for a crusade!
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 17:55

Yes, the Latvians have only really had some success in the Hanseatic league, a 14-17 century city state, Riga (which incidently did quite well!) and some republics. I am not trying to insult the Latvians- i lived there for 2 years and it is a beautiful and interesting country- i am just stating history

Also, did you know that that Lithuanian resistance to Christianity was so strong, the pope had to call for a crusade!

lol i didn't notice any offence in your sentences.LOL
Btw Latvians didn't existed before 17th century as one nation. It was merge of Latgallians(major influence), Semigallians, Curonians and Finnic Livonians.

Well actually Pope called crusades many times almoust against all Baltic people -> Prussians, Livonians, Estonians, Lithuanians etc.
for example from 1260 to 1283 Pope called total of 20 Crusades against Prussians, which don't exist anymore.

Edited by axeman - 20-Jul-2006 at 17:55
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Well the Lithuanians were much more advanced than the Estonians and Latvians(Semgals, Latgals, Sels etc) at the time so i think the Lithuanians are the only sign of Baltic former power, not any of the other Baltic tribes.

I wouldn't say that Lithuanians were much more advanced, they just had one right leader, first king Mindaugas, who had to fight bloody civil war to consolidate his power in whole Lithuania(actually mainly in Eastern Lithuania, because Samogitians(western tribe in Lithuania) always remained distinctive, yet Lithuanians.)

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by axeman

I wouldn't say that Lithuanians were much more advanced, they just had one right leader, first king Mindaugas, who had to fight bloody civil war to consolidate his power in whole Lithuania(actually mainly in Eastern Lithuania, because Samogitians(western tribe in Lithuania) always remained distinctive, yet Lithuanians.)

But in the sense that the Lithuanians had the initiative to unite all of their tribes shows to me much more of social development to me. The Estonians never even planned this type of social development, might not even have imagined it in their minds, they were so separated as inhabitats of different countys. 

There are speculations by Estonian historians that in some 50 or 100 years, an Estonian state would have been formed due to the intesifying invasion and expansionist politics committed by the west, but thats as far as i could go with a theoretical Estonian kingdom.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 19:06

But in the sense that the Lithuanians had the initiative to unite all of their tribes shows to me much more of social development to me. The Estonians never even planned this type of social development, might not even have imagined it in their minds, they were so separated as inhabitats of different countys. 

There are speculations by Estonian historians that in some 50 or 100 years, an Estonian state would have been formed due to the intesifying invasion and expansionist politics committed by the west, but thats as far as i could go with a theoretical Estonian kingdom.

Well there are also a speculations that Lithuanians would eventually unite all Baltic tribes if they hadn't been disturbed by German crusaders.
Maybe that would be better. LOL
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 19:17
Darn, then the Estonians, as Finno-Ugrians, would most likely have waged war with the Grand kingdom of Baltica and we would have created historical area of various feuds here in the Baltics - the second Balkan i propose.LOL

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 19:23

Darn, then the Estonians, as Finno-Ugrians, would most likely have waged war with the Grand kingdom of Baltica and we would have created historical area of various feuds here in the Baltics - the second Balkan i propose.LOL

Don't think so, we would be more tolerant as long as we keep paganism as state religionWink.

But seriously Lithuanian ability to concentrate power is probably inheritance from being vassals in 12th century to Polotsk Principality.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 01:34

Even in 1410 on Teuton Knights side there were many Knights all over the Europe who came on a crusade to fight Polish and Lithuanians because Teuton Knights propaganda was spreading news that Lithuanians are still Pagans and should be properly converted on christianity ( it means the same like Prussian - crush and destroy ).
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by Majkes

Even in 1410 on Teuton Knights side there were many Knights all over the Europe who came on a crusade to fight Polish and Lithuanians because Teuton Knights propaganda was spreading news that Lithuanians are still Pagans and should be properly converted on christianity ( it means the same like Prussian - crush and destroy ).

It is interesting that Livonian Knights (Sub-branch of Teutonic knights with the same coats of arms) didn't take part in Tannenberg (Grunwald, Zalgiris) 1410. If they had taken part than this might have turned the fate of this famous battle.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 16:37
Livonian kngihts are not a sub-branch of Teutonic knights and they had a different coat of arms. the two orders were joined in personal union liek saxony and poland later, when prussia invaded saxony in 7 years war Poland stayed neutral even though they had the same ruler so it should not be surprising.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Temujin

Livonian kngihts are not a sub-branch of Teutonic knights and they had a different coat of arms. the two orders were joined in personal union liek saxony and poland later, when prussia invaded saxony in 7 years war Poland stayed neutral even though they had the same ruler so it should not be surprising.

Well they were.
When the Order of Sword brothers was virtually anihilated in the battle of Sauliai (Saule) 1236, they were incorporated into Teutonic order who had just begun crusade in Prussia. From that point they were in all respects (clothing, rules, policy) an autonomous branch of Teutonic Order. They changed their former symbolics( red cross and red sword on white background ) to Teutonic's (black cross on white background).
There were two seperate landmasters in Baltic for Teutonic Order, one for Prussia , other for Livonia, the headmaster was still located in Palestina. But when headmaster moved his headquaters from Venice to Malbork(Prussia) in 1309 afaik, then he merged his post with Prussian landmaster.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 18:17
Originally posted by axeman

Originally posted by Temujin

Well they were.
When the Order of Sword brothers was virtually anihilated in the battle of Sauliai (Saule) 1236, they were incorporated into Teutonic order who had just begun crusade in Prussia. From that point they were in all respects (clothing, rules, policy) an autonomous branch of Teutonic Order. They changed their former symbolics( red cross and red sword on white background ) to Teutonic's (black cross on white background).
There were two seperate landmasters in Baltic for Teutonic Order, one for Prussia , other for Livonia, the headmaster was still located in Palestina. But when headmaster moved his headquaters from Venice to Malbork(Prussia) in 1309 afaik, then he merged his post with Prussian landmaster.

But after Battle of Grunwald they separated again.
 Post Reply Post Reply