Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Ottoman Empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ottoman Empire
    Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 09:16

The book entitled "The Ottoman Empire,The Classical Age 1300-1600" written by Halil Inalcik is a must read for anyone interested in the story of the greatest period in Turkish history when Turkey became a vast Middle Eastern Empire.

Halil Inalcik desceibes in detail the structure of the Empire and its political,social,economic and cultural evolution.I pesonnaly recommend you to read it.

Edited by Moustafa Pasha - 14-Aug-2006 at 09:36
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 10:49
Halil Inalcik is one of the best historians in TurkeyThumbs Up
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 16:22
When you couple the Ottoman Empire with the various other Turkic empires that existed at that time and even predated it - the conclusion can be made that the Turks were the fiercest, most proud, warriors of all time.

Recall that the Huns overran Europe, the Seljuks were feared throughout the Middle East, the Mongol armies were also composed of Turks, and one of the greatest empires in the history of the world - that of the Mughals in India, was ruled by the Turks as well, then what I think you have, is quite frankly, the greatest single empire in the world - even grander than Alexander the Great's, Genghis Khan's, or that of the Romans.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 19:53
wow I feel proud but ashemed at the same time.

I'm proud of what my forefathers have done and a shamed because I might never or we might never top or come to that level
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 05:03
A bibliography for Halil İnalcik:

Inalcık, Ha1i1 (1948). 'Osnıanlı-Rus Rekabetinin Menşei ve Don-Volga Kanalı Teşebbs', Belleten, 12, 46, 349-402.
(1954a). Hicri 835 Tarihli Saret-i Defter-i Sancak-i Arvanid (Ankara: Trk Tarih Kurumu).
(1954b). 'Ottoman Methods ofConquest', Studia Islamica, 111, 103-29.
(1958). 'The Problem of the Relationship between Byzantine and Ottoman Taxation', in Akten des XI. Intemationalen Byzantinistenkon~resses (Munich), pp. 237-242. (1959). 'Osmanlılarda Raiyyet RusUmu', Belleten, 23, 575-610. (1960a). 'Bursa and the Commerce ofthe Levant',]oumal ojthe Economic and Sodal History ojthe Levant, 3, 131-47.(1960b). 'Bursa, XV. Asır Sanayi ve Tİcaret Tarihine Dair Vesikalar', Belleten, 24 (1960), 45-102.
(1964). 'The Nature ofTraditional Socİety: Turkey', İn Political Modemization in ]apan and Turkey, ed. Robert E. Ward and Dankwart A. Rustow (Princeton N}: Princeton Universİty Press), pp. 42-63.
(1973). The Ottoman Empire, The Classical Age, 1300-1600 (Weidenfeld & Nİcholson).
(1975). 'The Socio-Political Effects of the Diffusion of Firearms in the Middle East', in War, Technologyand Sodety in the Middle East, ed. M.E. Yapp (London, Oxford: Oxford University Press).
(1984). 'The Emergence ofBig Farms, iftliks: State, Landlords and Tenants', in Contributions a l'histoire economique et sodale de l'Empire ottoman, Collection Turcİca 111 (Louvain: Editions Peeters), pp. 105-26(1986). 'The Appoİntment Procedure of a Guild Warden (Kethuda)', Wiener Zeitschrift fr die Kunde des Morgenlandes, Festschrift Andreas Tietze, 76, 135-42.
(1994). 'The Ottoman State: Economyand Socİety, 1300-1600', inAn Economic and Sodal History ofthe Ottoman Empire, 1300-1914, ed. Ha1il Inalcık with Donald Quataert (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) (paperback ver- sİon 1997 , Inalcık's work appears as vol. 1).
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 08:17

Sounds interesting... I'll look it up... Actually, I found some of Halil İnalcik writtings on the internet....

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by Master_Blaster

When you couple the Ottoman Empire with the various other Turkic empires that existed at that time and even predated it - the conclusion can be made that the Turks were the fiercest, most proud, warriors of all time.

Recall that the Huns overran Europe, the Seljuks were feared throughout the Middle East, the Mongol armies were also composed of Turks, and one of the greatest empires in the history of the world - that of the Mughals in India, was ruled by the Turks as well, then what I think you have, is quite frankly, the greatest single empire in the world - even grander than Alexander the Great's, Genghis Khan's, or that of the Romans.

Yes but few(maybe just Ottoman) if any influence the way we think and do things today. None has produced any philosophers that are well known in the West, the same goes for almost everything else from science to art. If you think that just controlling large chunks of land gives you a long historical recognition then just look today how  the vast majority of Turkish republics lag far behind the West on the economic battlefield.

Edited by vulkan02 - 21-Aug-2006 at 09:51
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 11:48
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Halil Inalcik is one of the best historians in TurkeyThumbs Up

H eis accepted as the dean of Turkish historians worldwide and this book has been translated into several languages including Arabic and Balkan languages.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 15:01
Yes, I've had my eyes on this book for quite some time, but is it recommendable as an introduction to Ottoman history for someone who doesn't have much experience with this field from before?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 07:14
Vulkan
Yes but few(maybe just Ottoman) if any influence the way we think and do things today. None has produced any philosophers that are well known in the West

Its clear you don't know alot about Ottoman history as if you did you would realise
that the reality is actually very different.

The Ottoman influence can be felt in Renaissance architecture, medical
advances, gastrony influences, literature the Ottoman classics were read 
and the European elite would learn Ottoman Turkish and try to speak it
among each other to show their importance and high status. The Millet system
of governance, Beauracracy, the first standardisations, the first rocket powered flight,
etc etc
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by Bulldog

The Ottoman influence can be felt in Renaissance architecture, medical
advances, gastrony influences, literature the Ottoman classics were read 
and the European elite would learn Ottoman Turkish and try to speak it
among each other to show their importance and high status. 

Examples of these claims? Sources?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 20:53

For example...

Philip Jacks

As early as the twelfth century, Islamic design began to permeate the building arts in Italy through channels of trade. In Venice, with its mercantile contacts to the Ottoman Turks, palace-warehouses, called fondaco, dotted the Grand Canal with their ogive arches of Muslim origin. The Levantine community flourished in this maritime republic with its distinctive dress and customs, particularly through the establishment of the Ghetto Novo and

Novissimo for the Jewish population. After the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in 1453, Venetian artists, notably Gentile Bellini, travelled to the court of Mehmet I to work alongside Islamic scribes and painters; the work they brought back reflected the merging of aesthetic principles between East and West.

Islamic lusterware, imported into Italy beginning in the fourteenth century, came to be known as maiolica from the island of Mallorca, the primary center of Mozarabic production. This technique inspired a large industry around Urbino, Castel Durante and Deruta in the Umbrian region. Painters imitated the patterns of Islamic decoration, while incorporating religious and mythological subjects taken from Italian Renaissance art.

http://www.crbs.umd.edu/finearts/ai2004/faculty.html#jacks

Turkish cusine is considered among the top three in the world, Europe's Cafe culture for example is thanks to the OttomansWink

The earliest surgical paediatric atlas by Sabuncuoglu for example...

Lagari Hasan elebi is considered the first person to have made an artificially powered flight. In the 17th century he was launched in the air in a rocket, which was composed of a large cage with a conical top filled with gunpowder. The flight was accomplished as a part of celebrations performed for the birth of Ottoman Emperor Murat IV's daughter in 1633.

etc etc etc

There are many examples...
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 02:56
About painting it was the other way round. It were the Italian painters who were called for depicting Ottoman sultans.

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 06:27
Vulkan, ever heard of Rm?

Yes but few(maybe just Ottoman) if any influence the way we think and do things today

If you have your sarma with your yogurt, and then have your crescent cookie with your coffee, and if you are safe with your pax vaccine, that's Turkish influence in your life.

BTW, when westerners may need a toilet, they must think of the Turks who have discovered it and saved them from digging holes in their backgardens.Big smile
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 09:16
About painting it was the other way round. It were the Italian painters who were called for depicting Ottoman sultans.

Do you know why Bellini was called to paint Mehmed II? Mehmed wanted to find
out about Itally, its weak points, how to enter because he was planning on taking
Rome. It was a clever espionage mission.

Look at Itallian art and fabrics from the period there is alot of influence from the 
Ottomans. There were "Fondaco dei Turchi" area of Venice where Turkish artists lived, the Turkish Carpets influenced many arts especially portraits of the wealthy and powerfull.

The works of Fuzulli, Nedim, Baki, Nessimi even Suleyman the Magnifent's flowery,
highly cultured and expressive poetry became very trendy and influential in Europe,
knowing Ottoman Turkish was a sign of high status. You know the term "Grand Turk"Wink Europeans had alot of respect and admiration for them.

Edited by Bulldog - 03-Sep-2006 at 09:23
Albert Pine

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 03:21
Not only Mehemd II, others Sultans too.

About the claimed prestige of Ottoman Turkish, I mention only the fact the Venetian language was for sure more fascinating in Mediterrean basin.
I've read somewhere that a Doge sending his ambassadors ordered them: "E al Gran Turco parleghe Venezian" (And talk to the Grand Turk in Venetian Language).
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 06:21
Originally posted by Leonardo

Not only Mehemd II, others Sultans too.

About the claimed prestige of Ottoman Turkish, I mention only the fact the Venetian language was for sure more fascinating in Mediterrean basin.
I've read somewhere that a Doge sending his ambassadors ordered them: "E al Gran Turco parleghe Venezian" (And talk to the Grand Turk in Venetian Language).
Persian whas also a "fascinating language" at that time, every Ottoman sultan knowed Persian even they didnt ruled over Persian folks. Actually it hasnt nothing todo with "fascinating" stuff, maybe those venetians only knowed to speak in their language or not so im sure they where forced to speak Ottoman Turkish infront of Sultan.
 Post Reply Post Reply