Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Viking Berserker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Viking Berserker
    Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 04:12
Well, I cannot but agree, and the again, I can not agree... It was beyond doubt extremey bad business. And it went horribly wrong. But I remain to the fact that balming the individual soldiers has little use.

With the unbeatable power of hindsight, yes, they should have disobeyed their orders. But at the time, there and then, the matter was undoubtly less clear. I totally agree with you that orders are orders only goes so far as an excuse (not very far at all), but I am also of the opinion that breaking orders in such a situation is harder than it looks. They should never have had to make such a decision. When soldiers have to star making a decision to obey or disobey their orders, there is something seriously wrong with the leadership.

I guess the only excuse there is that they were only human, and not heroes. But then again, how many people can say they are?

I do not expect anyone to feel pity for them. But that does not make their trauma any less. I was just using them as an example: before you come to the point where you try to drive on the highway with your eyes closed, you are pretty f***ed up in the head, I'd say.

And I can feel pity on the Germans in WWII. Some were monsters, most were not. It is too easy to judge. I have never been in such a situation, who can say how I will react?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 16:47
I am not shortsighted. I am rather open minded. However, such instances are not excusable. And showing pitty on SS officer in Auschwitz just because he had PTSS is not the right path, nor is it in this instance either. A choice was clearly made. Not to mention that clearly Mladic would not have the fortitude to attack the UN Soldiers in such an open, and unconcealed manner. That would not help the Bosnain Serb strategy. He came in with a show of force, they caved in, and he got what he wanted the liqudation of thousands of innocents.
I am sorry but the souls that died did not have the choice to have PTSS, nor did the millions in the camps in WWII, or in China, ...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 16:42
They did have a choice. They acted up on immoral orders. Everyone has a choice to disobey. They could have done much more. Sure they have disorders due to being there. Nevertheless, the victim role is far from it, and I am not so sure that all of them feel mortally guilty about the incident either. There defiently are some that came out and talked about the wrongs in this, but not all have done so. They were positioned in the town to help, and most importantly defend these people, as that is the point of a safe haven. If they were there just to keep guard they would not have been armed, they could have just used security gurads for guarding premises.

Not all German soldiers did the dame thing either. The bulk of the infantry was a regular army that attacked the opposing side, they fought, they killed, and they were killed in due process. They should not feel to be on the "bad" side. They were not on the bad side. They fought for Germany not for Hitler. The ones in the various work and concentration camps are the ones that should feel guilty. The whole " I was just following orders" line can be used only to a certain extent. When peoples lives are at stake such excuses are worthless.

The German soldiers had a choice, they made it in the camps, just like they did, and in many other instances around the world.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 03:37
Your insight is stunning. Feel free to judge others, why dont you? You do of course also believe that Germans in WWII did not become traumatised because they were on the 'wrong' side. Please, can you be any more short sighted?

Do you think the average common soldier was happily skipping along while this took place. They knew that things were bad, very bad, but they did not get the authority of the UN to act. They also did not have the backup to do so. They followed orders, and most of them still have nightmares about it.

Yes, they should have disobeyed a direct order. That is, however, not so easy for a trained soldier to do. They were betrayed by their commanders, blame them.

And it is especially these soldiers that get ptss. If they had managed to save these people, they would not have had anything to get traumatised by, do they. Feeling mortally guilty about something you could not really have helped is the mentally most damaging thing.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 11-Apr-2007 at 03:39

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 18:35
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

There are cases of Dutch soldiers who had been in Sebrenica and had PTSS.

LOL

PTSS from what exactly. All they did is let Mladic into Srebrenica, and allow thousands of innocent people to be murdered. I have no sympathy for a soldier sworn to uphold a code, with a gun in his hand as well just letting innocent people getting killed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 13:13

Vikings against mongols was not possible but vikings might be fighted other steppe nations(kipcakhs,pecheneks,magyars...).Vareg vikings in russia had fighted nomad nations

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 11:51
Originally posted by Mosquito

[QUOTE=Aelfgifu]

I dont say that western slavic pirates were more feared than scandinavians. But it is fact that in 10th century Baltic sea by many was called "Mare Rugianorum" - from isle of Rugen which was base of slavic pirates.

....which got its name frm the Germanic Rugians (interesting tribe).

Rgen is an interesting island.

I would like to point out that while the Slavic pirates were feared by Scandinavian (and other european) peasnats, the Danes had no qualms about destroying the Slavic temple of Swietowit.

Most Slavic pirate settlements where havens for Scandinavian Vikings. Wolin is one of the most famous.

Other interesting pirates were the Norse-Gaels (Celto-Germans) and the Irish pirates...both viscious slavers.

Edited by Hygelac - 07-Apr-2007 at 11:54
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:00
Considering the contact the Vikings had with all of Europe and eastwards, I wouldnt be surprised to see ANY kind of armor or weapon amongst a party of Vikings. We have a certain idea about Viking armory, weaponry and clothings, but of course they used what they looted or came across. In 920, a metal helmet was very expensive - most Vikings used leather caps and leather armor.
Only the most wealthy could afford custom made equipment. 

In reference to the movie, the first part including the funeral is a quite accurate depiction of Ibn Fadlans historical notes - and what makes it even better is the use of Scandinavian actors and language.
The ships were excellent done as I remember them.

The second part of the movie, onwards from the funeral, is strictly fictional and inspired from the Beowulf poem. The author Michael Crichton is trying to give it a plausibel twist as he replaces the Grendel moor-monster with a clan of surviving neanderthals (some 25.000 years) and that way it becomes inaccurate to the original storyline.

The movie kept me well entertained the whole way through, - they only drawback I can think of is that they made it 1,5 hours too short due to budgetcrises.
It was planned as a 3 hour movie - but was cut in half during the editing.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 13:38
Well, a lot of the armor the guys are wearing is wrong. I think the king, Wulfgar, I think, is wearing a chest plate, which I don't think was invented at the time the movie was supposed to take place. Also, one of the warriors was wearing a Roman gladiator helmet...why was that in there?! I thought the movie was a great action film, however. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 18:32
Hey I noticed before that a lot of people were talking about how historically inaccurate the 13th warrior is and I was wondering what was inaccurate, besides the impossible interaction between the tartars and the viking? My teacher claims that the movie is pretty accurate, I dont want my class to be taught the wrong things, so can someone please help me on this?
white knight View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote white knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 07:31
yup, im here. thanks for the info guys, i learned a lot bout the vikings. (-:
white knight View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote white knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 07:30
yup, im here. thanks for the info guys, i learned a lot.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 05:40
Originally posted by Timotheus

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by MOSQUITO

If you look closer into Sagas it is obvious that killing king Olaf was a plot.

The trouble is, you cannot look this close into sagas when looking for historical facts. They are simply not reliable enough, certainly not in the details.
- They were mostly written down in the twelfth century, twohundred years after events took place.
- They were written in Iceland, so by another people, who might have had another agenda on the subject.
- And they were written by authors, not scribes, so they are not even precise representation of oral tradition, but they are a carefully composed construct made as much for purposes of entertainment as for preserving history.

You just cannot make such a detailed study of the sagas and say it is fact, all you can say is it is the story as known.

Often, though, it's all we have to go on, and we have no other way to know what might have happened...some people I've read will just automatically assume the opposite of what the sagas said just because they don't trust anything anybody wrote less than twenty years ago.

I would not dismiss the sagas as useless as a source.... I wouldn't dare, I would have nothing left to base my thesis on... It's a matter of life and death now... Confused

My point was that although sagas and scaldic poetry are good sources for researching peoples thoughts (you can see very well their values and morals), you cannot simply use them as historical sources at face value. Although most sagas have history at their basis (exept the fornaldarsogur of course), they were adapted to make good stories. And you would not trust a movie as a source either, would you...Wink

In the case of Olaf Tryggvason, I'm sure the battle against the Jomsvikings took place. But you cannot take it as proof Olaf was tricked. If you are telling a heroic story about someone, you are not going to tell he lost because he made a bloody stupid mistake, would you?Tongue Your hero is the best and greatest, so when he loses, it must have been betrayal or trickery...

So we should use sagas with a bit of care. (and cross reference...Wink)

Edited by Aelfgifu - 21-Sep-2006 at 05:41

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 07:25
Oh yes, but there are so many of those, and for each new theory that appears the odds for choosing to believe in the right one declines. Wink
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 06:00
I once heard a theory on the BBC that Berserkers could perhaps be warriors with untreated shell-shock. PTSS (Post traumatic stress syndrome) has as one of its main affects that people become detached from feeling and fear. There are cases of Dutch soldiers who had been in Sebrenica and had PTSS. There was one who developed behaviour like driving on the highway and close his eyes, first for a second, then longer and longer. If untreated this behaviour becomes worse, as the sufferer has to find still extremer ways to 'feel'. It sounds a lot like a berserker throwing himself into battle without fear.

At first I thought it sounded like nonsense, but if you think about it... It is an interesting possibility.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 21:13
It's a bit hard to tell; the way Snorri describes them they sound like the typical pelt-wearing lunatic spurred on by some state of insanity, but in several other Icelandic sagas they seem to be merely wandering warriors who travel around making trouble and being a nuisance to everyone.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 21:09
Yes - as I understand, there wasn't a special class of "berserkers" but rather that sometimes some of them would "go berserk" and fight on all the adrenaline they had. Well timed it could probably decimate an enemy's line and force a collapse, rather like a cavalry charge. If the line stood firm, it probably wouldn't be worth much.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 14:33
I dont belive in Bersekers or rather i should say that i dont belive that they were somthing special or exceptional.

During the history of wars always were and always will be people who in combat gets mad. You can find such in every army and on every war.
Adrenaline and fear make people doing strange things.
Discipline was always one of those things which was supposed to help against such reactions like running toward enemy without thinking. Professional sioldier always should know what he is doing and stay cold even when kill. Today and 2000 years ago in times of roman legions or earlier in Sparta. Those who get mad in combat are fools, not profesionals.

Thats all about berserkers. Nothing to discuss.

Edited by Mosquito - 16-Sep-2006 at 14:35
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 11:44

In my experience, a new(er) source isnt necessary any better than an old source.
What really makes the difference, is who wrote the history - and who ordered it written. 

There are huge differences in the written history in recent events ie. The Kuwait/Iraq invasion, Vietnam, WWII, Balkan Conflicts (past 3 centuries) and so on.

A Danish history book ie. about our engagement and "brotherhood" to Iceland and Norway is very different than the books from these two nations, referring the same subject.

The Saga's was written by Icelanders because they wanted to tell these stories, but most important, noone ordered them to write and they didnt write much about themselves, but about others.
They wrote about Norwegians, Danes, English, and of course - the Norse Myth which was an significant "player" in that era.
Thats why I think the stories can be trusted to some extent but as always, we need to take it with a grain of salt. Its obvious that these Saga tellers did allow themselves some artistic freedom of expression and still was under the influence of the pagan religion.
In contrast to most modern written history,  they had no reason to be biased, but could refer the events as they really thought they happened.

Another famous history writer around the same time (1200), Saxo, is blatantly biased after book #10 in which he describes events happening in his own time. He was a scolar and scribe to Archbishop Absalon, who again was a devout warlord to the King. The actual events are true, but told in a very biased fashion to make Absalon and the King look better than they were.

The thread here is about Viking-beserkers. Should we distinguish them from normal Viking warriors? Some would suggest they were a special more wild group amongst the warriors.
Its no secrect that the Vikings liked their ale and mead, and maybe some of them were more intoxicated than the rest. 
The use of mushrooms as a drug was known to them, so maybe the beserkers found the extra 20% of madness in a mix of ale and mushrooms.

Edited by Northman - 16-Sep-2006 at 11:48
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 06:47
Indeed, Timotheus, I've always found it odd how so many scholars put the primary sources under extreme doubt while having so much confidence in their own ability to assess the past. Especially considering the usual argument against the Scandinavian written material is that it was written 100-300 years after the events occurred.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>