Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?
    Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 14:13
Originally posted by Sparten

I am not pro-choice or pro-life. I am pro-sanity. Abortion is way different from say body piercing, when its nobody's business but your own. In abortion, a human lfe is being snuffed out. The fetus may no have been human, but it would have become one.

And how, may I ask, does this person's decision to have an abortion affect your life? Will you be supporting said human life that came out of her? Will you be feeding said human life, educating said human life, or in any other way contributing to its development? If the answer to any of the above is NO, then it's none of your business!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 15:00
Originally posted by Un-Edu-Genius

I just speak as I find, It's black or white- not grey.

If you don't believe a fetus has the right to live....your anti-life, plain and simple.

Very few things in life are black or white. One of the most famous logical fallacies is confounding dichotomous with continuous variables. Even some apparently dichotomous variables such as life and death are NOT dichotomous if you think about it.

What I do not and cannot accept is the certitude that some people have (most of whom have an exclusive claim of knowledge of all sorts, including the most unanswerable questions about life) on what is and is not life, whose life worths more, and what a worthy life means. For me, all these questions have a question mark that no one has the exclusive right to take away. I live life with the knowledge that there are many things I don't know and am not certain about, and I won't be that pompous to dictate my view on others. That is, in my dictionary, what choices are about.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 15:09

From Conception a fetus begings forming in the womb it's own little person, and in just a few weeks can feel pain and sense danger. This is not just me saying this, it's a proven scientific fact. Knowing that they feel pain, how can you say that it should be "the mothers choice" when she is not the one who will feel that pain, she isn't the one who's life is going to be ended. If it were meant to be, We would have an automatic eject button, don't you think?

No, women aren’t VCRs. I don’t see what pain and emotions has to do with it, how that makes the fetus inviolate, if the woman carrying it – much like an outgrowth on her body- should want to dispose of it. We kill so many things that have emotions and nerve systems, without regard to how these creatures must feel. I can see nothing wrong per se in killing anything that there is sufficient reason to kill, yet it doesn’t mean I’m anti-life, I’m just not pro-all kinds of life.

I am not pro-choice or pro-life. I am pro-sanity. Abortion is way different from say body piercing, when its nobody's business but your own. In abortion, a human lfe is being snuffed out. The fetus may no have been human, but it would have become one.

Again, what is so great, so inviolate about human life if there is sufficient reason to have it “snuffed out”, as you say?

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Put yourself into the shoes of that infant in one women's body,who is in the mood of abortion. would you wish not to be given birth?

Irrelevant; we should care more about the quality of the life for the woman living now, than the potential life of an unwanted child.

Originally posted by morticia

Quite frankly, I believe that most woman don't want to be subjected to such a procedure, but it is important for all women to know that they have a medically safe alternative to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, if they choose to do so.

Absolutely, otherwise we’d find ourselves in a society which forces women to carry forth children of rape and incest, meaning every woman has reason to fear not only rape itself but a lifelong reminder and consequence thereof. I think TheDiplomat should put himself in those shoes. Of course, I’m willing to go much further than that and accept abortion as simply a last measure preventive method.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:12

What I don't want is for some organization to tell women what to do with their bodies, when it should not be any of their business at all. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align=middle>

It is a very cliche remark,dear Morticia Adams.

If that body also accomodates one human beingin the meantime, it is for sure a special concern for others than women also. A life is more important than individualism.

My philosophy teacher once told me that ''never wish something for others that you would not wish for yourself!.''

Put yourself into the shoes of that infant in one women's body,who  is in the mood of abortion. would you wish not to be given birth?

My dear friend, Diplomat!     If I was in the shoes of the infant I don't think it would matter what I thought because, even if I was born, I would not remember anything. Do you remember when you were in your mother's womb? Do you even remember anything about the day you were born? I seriously doubt it! Maybe, just maybe, that is the reason nature does not let us remember! Ever thought of that?

Remembering the first day you opened your eyes to this world does not matter, opening your eyes to life itself matters.

The right to live is undeniable.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:17
Originally posted by Reginmund

Put yourself into the shoes of that infant in one women's body,who is in the mood of abortion. would you wish not to be given birth?

Irrelevant; we should care more about the quality of the life for the woman living now, than the potential life of an unwanted child.

Confused

Irrelevant yourself, Reginmund.

The thread itselfs bears the title pro-choice or pro-life,rather than living standarts of mother. So the right to life of an infant should also be pointed out.

Your individualism must have reached the point where one's economic standarts come before the importance of a ''potential'' life.  But the worth of a human life can not be even pricedTongue

Edited by TheDiplomat - 14-Sep-2006 at 16:20

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 17:25
No Morticia, probably to your dismay, I am definantly not a man.

I understand how complicating some pregnancies can be, however the physical and mental effects of an abortion can be much worse in the end.

I have quite a few close friends who have had abortions, and in their words, " I'll regret it till the day I die."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 17:38
Reginmund, Let me clarify, A "Fetus" ... is really a small baby, the begining of new life.

I don't know if you have children, but most parents wouldn't put their child through pain, unless they are seriosly delusional or mentally disturbed.

Also, an unborn baby is not just an "outgrowth" on the side of it's mother's body as you compared it to earlier.....it is a little life....just as you once were.

All I am saying is there are options other than abortion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 18:23

My philosophy teacher once told me that ''never wish something for others that you would not wish for yourself!.''

Usually that's a good ethical maxime, but in this case it's quite useless, since I can't be aborted any more.

Remembering the first day you opened your eyes to this world does not matter, opening your eyes to life itself matters.

So the question is: when does life start? During conception, during birth, or somewhere inbetween? As other people pointed out, the first time after conception the fetus is just a bunch of cells, which really can't be considered a living person. Since it's not yet a person, 'killing' it cannot be considered murder. The fact that it would have become a person without the abortion is irrelevant. It's not worse than simply not having children.

Besides, in daily life virtually everybody, including anti-abortionists, seem to agree that birth, and not the concepcion is the beginning of someone's life. After all, nobody celebrates his 'conception day' instead of his birthday, embryos are not being counted in censuses, you can't open a bank account for a yet unborn baby, etc.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 22:29

No Morticia, probably to your dismay, I am definantly not a man.

I understand how complicating some pregnancies can be, however the physical and mental effects of an abortion can be much worse in the end.

I have quite a few close friends who have had abortions, and in their words, " I'll regret it till the day I die."

Nooooo, Un-Edu-Genius, not to my dismay!! On the contrary, I welcome you and am honored to converse with an intelligent woman in this predominately male dominated history forum.   

Yes, some women regret having terminated their pregnancies, but it was a decision that they made of an option which was available to them.   While some regret it, others do not.   I know a few women who terminated unwanted pregnancies and do not regret it at all. Some even subsequently had wanted pregnancies, and, today, one is a mother of three and another is a mother of two.   Just because some women regret their termination does not mean that abortion should not be an available option for others.   

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 22:34

All I am saying is there are options other thanabortion.

Absolutely correct...but, abortion should always be one of those available options to women. The choice should be made by each individual in such a predicament.   
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 22:51
Morticia, I understand what you're saying, But that little child can't voice it's opinion.... It isn't given it's right to have a choice when and if it is aborted... why should a woman have the choice to abort her baby, and that baby be denied the right to choose it's fate?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 00:16

And how, may I ask, does this person's decision to have an abortion affect your life? Will you be supporting said human life that came out of her? Will you be feeding said human life, educating said human life, or in any other way contributing to its development? If the answer to any of the above is NO, then it's none of your business!

If we go by that standard, than almost nothing will affect my life.  However niether you, nor I nor anybody else lives in a cave yet. We live in a civilized society, and in such a society we give up certain rights for the benefit of society, i,e benefits of everyone.

Abortion is an issue with no clear answers. Anyone can see that. However, if we have to take sides, we should always err on the side of life.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

you can't open a bank account for a yet unborn baby, etc.

LOL

similar to Reginmund,who put the economic standarts of a person before the importance of a potential life,you made a point which represents the extend to which people living in post-modern western culture reached in terms of interprating the world by  one's economic gains only.

and this is the result:

In Europe 2.1 children per woman is considered to be the population replacement level. These are national averages

Ireland: 1.99
France: 1.90
Norway: 1.81
Sweden 1.75
UK: 1.74
Netherlands: 1.73
Germany: 1.37
Italy: 1.33
Spain: 1.32
Greece: 1.29
Source: Eurostat - 2004 figures

I think abortion  should be allowed in certain circumstances like an illnesss that would efefct the woman's health dramatically,or if the pregnancy is an outcome of a horrible thing as rape,which would effect the psychology of women significantly later on...etc

But if you just didnt want to use birth pills,or forgot by mistake, it should not be a potential life who should pay the price for your msitakes!

Edited by TheDiplomat - 15-Sep-2006 at 05:24

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 06:03
The issue at the end of the day is about repsonsibility. If I make a woman pregnant and she gives birth, then as an adult it is nothing less than my duty to provide for that child. If an adult enters into consesual sexual actvity, and there are no mitigating circumstances, then well they both male and female, should have to bear the responsibility.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 13:21

The issue at the end of the day is about repsonsibility. If I make a woman pregnant and she gives birth, then as an adult it is nothing less than my duty to provide for that child. If an adult enters into consesual sexual actvity, and there are no mitigating circumstances, then well they both male and female, should have to bear the responsibility.

That's very noble of you, Sparten, but remember that not everyone thinks the way you do, and not everyone is as responsible and logical as you are. Just because you are willing to undertake such a responsibility doesn't mean the same would work for others. That is why alternative options must exist in order to make an assessment/evaluation and then choose the option which best suits the individual's needs and desires. Just because abortion would not suit your needs does not mean it wouldn't suit someone else's.
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 13:34

Morticia, I understand what you're saying, But that little child can't voice it's opinion.... It isn't given it's right to have a choicewhen and if it is aborted... why should a woman have the choice to abort her baby,and thatbaby be denied the right to choose it's fate?

That, my dear Un-Edu-Genius, is not for me to decide for anyone else. Such a decision solely must be made by the individual(s) who find themselves in such a situation. If it were me, I would want to have many options to choose from, including abortion. One has to do what is in one's best interest, and if she chooses to terminate her pregnancy, then so be it. Would you like others to make decisions for you? I think not. But, if you had to ever make any decisions, I think you would appreciate having many options to choose from and then choose what is right for you and your circumstance.
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 14:06

That's very noble of you, Sparten, but remember that not everyone thinks the way you do, and not everyone is as responsible and logical as you are. Just because you are willing to undertake such a responsibility doesn't mean the same would work for others. That is why alternative options must exist in order to make an assessment/evaluation and then choose the option which best suits the individual's needs and desires. Just because abortion would not suit your needs does not mean it wouldn't suit someone else's.
Thanks, but the fact remains that it is my responsibility. And I am not against abortions per se at all, I am a flexible man, and there are many situations where they are the only correct route.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 18:58

The thread itselfs bears the title pro-choice or pro-life,rather than living standarts of mother. So the right to life of an infant should also be pointed out.

Your individualism must have reached the point where one's economic standarts come before the importance of a ''potential'' life. But the worth of a human life can not be even priced

Again, the living standards of the pregnant (and already born) woman should come before the rights of potential children.

I never said anything about economic standards, you are being presumptious about my character now. As for the worth of a human life, who’s to say it’s worth nothing or everything? “Value” is a concept, a size of reality we humans invent, nothing is de facto worth anything, we simply decide that some things are.

Reginmund, Let me clarify, A "Fetus" ... is really a small baby, the begining of new life.

I don't know if you have children, but most parents wouldn't put their child through pain, unless they are seriosly delusional or mentally disturbed.

Also, an unborn baby is not just an "outgrowth" on the side of it's mother's body as you compared it to earlier.....it is a little life....just as you once were.

All I am saying is there are options other than abortion.

Of course, I never said abortion was preferable to carrying forth the child, I’m merely saying what rights of option a woman should have regarding this. I’d never encourage anyone to have an abortion, but forcing a woman not to have it is just as wrong.

And no, I don’t have children, but I am mentally disturbed and delusional.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 23:29

[QUOTE=Un-Edu-Genius] Morticia, I understand what you're saying, But that little child can't voice it's opinion.... It isn't given it's right to have a choice when and if it is aborted... why should a woman have the choice to abort her baby, and that baby be denied the right to choose it's fate?

That, my dear Un-Edu-Genius, is not for me to decide for anyone else. Such a decision solely must be made by the individual(s) who find themselves in such a situation. If it were me, I would want to have many options to choose from, including abortion. One has to do what is in one's best interest, and if she chooses to terminate her pregnancy, then so be it. Would you like others to make decisions for you? QUOTE]

No I wouldn't, And I am sure that baby would feel the same way.....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 23:32
Reginmund, I wasn't calling you delusional and disturbed....just wanted to make sure you know it wasn't meant towards youApprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>