Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asli Bayram: First Turkish Miss Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asli Bayram: First Turkish Miss Germany
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:27
Low blow Gun Powder Ma. You sound like an expert in Turkish marital rites.

If that's the case then don't forget the dowry of a flock of sheep and a wedding feast for the whole village. I won't let my wife read this post. After all she is younger than me and may resent my efforts at persuading her parents. lol.

Getting back to the topic and on a more serious note, why should anyone have a problem with the love life of two mature consenting adults?
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:59
Originally posted by Seko

Low blow Gun Powder Ma. You sound like an expert in Turkish marital rites.

Luckily, where I live we have television around, which helps us to form an opinion or two. Some southeastern parts of Turkey (Diyabarkir and Batman) have among the highest suicide rates among women in the world, if not the highest. Even the UN has been there. But I don't expect you flocking your sheep around, ever having heard of this. For all the others though:

In the past six years, there have been 165 suicides or suicide attempts in Batman, 102 of them by women. As many as 36 women have killed themselves since the start of this year, according to the United Nations. The organization estimates that 5,000 women are killed each year around the world by relatives who accuse them of bringing dishonor on their families; the majority of the killings are in the Middle East.

Last month, the United Nations dispatched a special envoy to Turkey to investigate. The envoy, Yakin Erturk, concluded that while some suicides were authentic, others appeared to be honor killings disguised as a suicide or an accident.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/how-to-avoid-honor-killing-in-turkey/20060716085509990006?ncid=NWS00010000000001
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 14:11
Yes, honor killings is very prehistoric and outright a violation of womens rights. Not to diminish the importance of locall customs and an impoverished economy, parts of Diyerbakir or Batman are not representative of the whole of Turkey. Yet you made a blanket statement that Asli's grandparents are symbolic of forced marriages.  That, and my own experience tells a different tale.   
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 15:24

Yet you made a blanket statement that Asli's grandparents are symbolic of forced marriages.  That, and my own experience tells a different tale.   

No, I made a blanket statement that Asli's parents are symbolic of forced marriages. And forced marriages are still very wide-spread in Turkey, whatever your own experiences.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 15:56
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

Yet you made a blanket statement that Asli's grandparents aresymbolic of forced marriages. That,andmy own experience tells a different tale.
No, I made a blanket statement that Asli's parents aresymbolic of forced marriages. And forced marriages are still very wide-spread in Turkey, whatever your own experiences.

OMG - I can't believe that forced marriages (pre-arranged marriages) still exist in these modern times!     I can't even imagine that! It's no wonder some of those women prefer death!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 16:07
Last week, I watched a documentation about a 17-year-old Kurdish girl in SE Turkey who committed suicide after she had been forced to marry a 60-year-old man - as his third wife.... what can you expect from such a 'relationship'? What can you expect from such a 'life'?

Edited by Gun Powder Ma - 19-Oct-2006 at 16:09
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 16:16
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

Last week, I watched a documentation about a 17-year-old Kurdish girl in SE Turkey who committed suicide after she had been forced to marry a 60-year-old man - as his third wife....

Ugh! Don't tell me! The old man gave lots of money or properties to the young girl's family in exchange for her! That is so sick! That still occurs in Turkey? I'm shocked and disgusted
"Morty

kilic View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kilic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 08:24
this-17 year old girl s stroy- can happen in those SE  rural villages ,where despite of all efforts traditions can not be adapted? to the modern law.
But rates of divorce are also getting very high in Turkey Clap
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 10:22
But rates of divorce are also getting very high in Turkey Clap

err  what is good about this?
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 14:03
Originally posted by Mortaza

But rates of divorce are also getting very high in Turkey [IMG]alt=Clap src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" align=absMiddle>

err what is good about this?

Divorce is never a good thing. But, I feel it is better to get a divorce rather than stay in an unloving and unhappy relationship. Nothing good can come out of that either. Divorce is an option available to end a bad relationship and, if you are lucky, gives you another chance to find someone else who can bring happiness into your life. After all, life is way too short to not live it to its fullest!
"Morty

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 14:15
What's so ironic about this is that on the one hand the EU tells Turkey that whats happening in Diyarbekir-Batman is unacceptable yet when Turkey tries to bring in changes its accused of messing with Kurdish tribes laws and comitting crimes against this tribal trait. The so-called Human Rights groups call it a violation when any action is taken and a violation when it occurs.

Arranged marriages arn't evil or terrible, arranged marriages arn't FORCED and are made WITH THE CONSENT OF THE TWO WHO WILL MARRY.

There are so many fables and fantasy stories regarding this matter.

In many Eastern Cultures "arranged marriage" is pretty common and there is nothing wrong with it and before you comment its better you discover what it is.

A son tells his family he wishes to marry, members of the family look for "potential wifes", if they agree then they meet, get to know each other and take it from there.

Its a way to find a wife your family agrees with, who you like and someone who likes you and also their family does.

In these cultures where family is VERY important, its an important tradition which is logical and keeps all sides happy.

Then there is the famous Turkic "eloping" LOL Its common to all Turkic communities, they ask for family for the girl as his wife, family refuse and so the boy and girl run away together. It became so common that it even became a tradition, even if the family don't refuse they still elope for a while LOL

Oh and there is NOTHING good about the family breakdown, its a serious problem now in Europe and has awfull social consequences especially in lower socio-economic groups.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 22:24
Bulldog,

A son tells his family he wishes to marry, members of the family look for "potential wifes", if they agree then they meet, get to know each other and take it from there

For us this is just a normal mode of getting married. But for the Westerners this is a gross violation of peoples rights to go out commit adultery, have abortions, end up as single mothers sapping tax-payers money and perhaps one day end up marrying someone who you've already had sex with.

It's no wonder the rates of divorce and broken homes are so high in the West, when their marriage practises are so messed up, and then they lecture Muslims, because we use sane practises in order to organise our marriages.

Just to point out, islam does NOT permit anyone to force their children to marry, and forced marriage only exists in isolated cases, probably no more than it does in other non-Islamic traditional cultures.
The Grim Reaper View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 14:41

@ Qutuz,

If you hadn't noticed, Asli Bayram, the topic of this thread, is an ethnic Turkish Muslim, and she just so happens to be clinging to the fancy coattails of a much, much older man.

The social issues in regards to premarital sex, promiscuity, high divorce rate, adultery, and children born out of wedlock, which you are contributing strictly to Western society, can also be found in any other culture, although probably not as prevalently. Divorce, adultery, children born out of wedlock, premarital sex, and promiscuity, are also a part of daily life in any Islamic society. The only difference being that these vices are more strictly frowned upon in conservative Muslim culture, and therefore, not as out in the open as they are here in the West. Be that as it may, this also leads to a multitude of other social and familial issues that take place in Muslim and Eastern societies, which are frowned upon or not tolerated to the same degree in the West. Take for example, wife beatings, and honor killings. True, that the divorce rate in America and in the West is much higher than in the Middle East, but in the West, wives are not routinely beaten, and it is certainly not acceptable to the society, whereas it is not only common, but very acceptable in Muslim societies (and don't try to bullsh*t me by saying that it is not, I know exactly what happens in Muslim societies -especially ones dominated by an Islamist agenda). How often are women and girls murdered in the West for having premarital sex, being raped (no fault of their own, or even for being seen with a male who is not related to them? Are women forced to marry their rapist in America? Or are you now going to claim that this is a mere myth as well? My point being that yes, there are certain issues in the West in regards to the family structure, however, these social issues do not absolve the social issues faced by women in conservative Muslim societies.

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 15:00
If you hadn't noticed, Asli Bayram, the topic of this thread, is an ethnic Turkish Muslim, and she just so happens to be clinging to the fancy coattails of a much, much older man

She lives in a democratic and secular free society, she can do what she likes, no? Why are people condemning her for. Why is it that people who accept homosexuality and all other kinds of sexual perversion all of a sudden have a problem with a younger girl being involved with an older man? Why is it that in the West Muslims are condemned for marrying more than one wife, yet the same people who condemn them have no problems with men or women who sleep with different partners every day? Nothing but hypocrisy if you ask me.

Divorce, adultery, children born out of wedlock, premarital sex, and promiscuity, are also a part of daily life in any Islamic society

A few points to make.

1) There's no Islamic society in existence today. Islam as a governing authority ceased to exist in 1924 with the official abolition of the Ottoman Caliphate. All societies in the Middle East today are post-Islamic societies, which just retain some aspects of Islam, but mixed with Western ideals. So blaming the problems of the Middle Eastern societies today on Islam is wrong, as Islam isn't the ruling system to be able to correct them.

2) The things you speak about are NOT common place in the Middle East as you claim. They may exist, I don't doubt that, but they're certainly not common place and are not a "normal part of everday society". This is a delusion you're under, and which you'd like to convey to others.

Take for example, wife beatings, and honor killings.

This is just garbage. The West is the worst place for domestic violence. I can testify to this personally, as I  live in the West, and I often have to listen to my neighbours coming home drunk at night and beating up their wives. Can you show any figures to support your claims are wife beating in Muslim countries? Or is this just another of your delusional fantasies?

As for honour killings, this again is a misrepresentation. Can you show me the statistics for honour killings in Islamic lands pre-1924? When Islam was the ruling system, this despicable practise didn't even exist. It's something that's been encouraged and fostered by the post-Islamic governments.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 16:11

Originally posted by Qutuz

She lives in a democratic and secular free society, she can do what she likes, no?

Nope. You have some serious misconceptions about free, democratic, secular societies. Miss Asli Bayram is afforded the opportunity under the secular and free laws of the nation-state of Germany; however, this does not imply that she is free from societal opinion and/or condemnation. You're just upset that she disavows your mythological claims that Muslim women do not engage in premarital sex.

Why are people condemning her for.

Maybe because it is immoral, abnormal, and atypical in Western society, where a woman does not need to hang onto the coattails of a man for financial security? I know why you are not condemning it, because it is the norm in conservative Muslim and especially Arab societies for much older men to be married to very young women. This is especially commonplace in the Gulf states.

Why is it that people who accept homosexuality and all other kinds of sexual perversion all of a sudden have a problem with a younger girl being involved with an older man?

You are comparing apples to oranges. Acceptance of homosexuality in Western society, and what you label as "sexual perversion," but we in the West commonly accept as minding one's business in regards to premarital sexual relations, and the idea of a 24 year old woman leeching off a 62 year old man for financial gain are mutually exclusive.

Why is it that in the West Muslims are condemned for marrying more than one wife, yet the same people who condemn them have no problems with men or women who sleep with different partners every day? Nothing but hypocrisy if you ask me.

Muslims are not condemned for taking more than one wife; rather it is just a foreign and often misunderstood concept in Western culture. Marriage in the West is viewed differently than marriage in Muslim or in Eastern society. I personally do not condemn it, nor am I offended by it.

A few points to make.

Your points lack substance and originality. They are little more than Islamist ideology and one that I have heard many times before.

1) There's no Islamic society in existence today. Islam as a governing authority ceased to exist in 1924 with the official abolition of the Ottoman Caliphate.

Are you claiming that the correct interpretation of Islam did not govern Taliban-ruled Afghanistan? Or does not now govern the Islamic Republic of Iran? Or the Arab heartland of Arabia? You may make any such absurd claims as you wish, but the fact of the matter is that even without the Caliphate, or an official Islamic government, Islam governs the every day affairs of conservative Muslim societies found in every Muslim-majority country today.

All societies in the Middle East today are post-Islamic societies, which just retain some aspects of Islam, but mixed with Western ideals.

Oh really? I did not realize that the Taliban, the IRI, and vice and virtue police of Arabia bore any Western ideals. Very interesting. *sarcasm* *lots and lots of sarcasm*

So blaming the problems of the Middle Eastern societies today on Islam is wrong, as Islam isn't the ruling system to be able to correct them.

The problems of Middle Eastern peoples today are due to their conservative religious nature. Their refusal to modernize and accept reforms, and their unwillingness to let go of 7th Century ideas while living in the 21st Century.

2) The things you speak about are NOT common place in the Middle East as you claim. They may exist, I don't doubt that, but they're certainly not common place and are not a "normal part of everday society". This is a delusion you're under, and which you'd like to convey to others.

Sure. Whatever you want to believe, buddy.

This is just garbage. The West is the worst place for domestic violence. I can testify to this personally, as I  live in the West, and I often have to listen to my neighbours coming home drunk at night and beating up their wives. Can you show any figures to support your claims are wife beating in Muslim countries? Or is this just another of your delusional fantasies?

Wrong again! What you have posted is pure garbage! There are laws in the West against domestic violence, why are there not any laws against domestic violence in Islamic countries? Why is it accepted as a part of life? And worse, as a part of marriage? Why do husbands, and in-laws beat women without fear of arrest or prosecution throughout the Middle East? Why are women who dishonor their family, allowed to be murdered by male relatives, and these men are then allowed to go free? Enough with the BS, Islamist! I know very well what happens in Muslim societies and you know that I know this! And it hurts you to the core for me to call out your bullsh*t!

As for honour killings, this again is a misrepresentation. Can you show me the statistics for honour killings in Islamic lands pre-1924? When Islam was the ruling system, this despicable practise didn't even exist. It's something that's been encouraged and fostered by the post-Islamic governments.

I am sure honor killings were far more common before 1924 than they are now. The only difference being that there was no UN or human rights organization to count the dead bodies of innocent girls and women.

PS: My ex-girlfriend (the one I was telling you about), got an arranged marriage to some sucker her cousin! He thought he was getting a virgin!LOL

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 11:35
TheGR
If you hadn't noticed, Asli Bayram, the topic of this thread, is an ethnic Turkish Muslim, and she just so happens to be clinging to the fancy coattails of a much, much older man.
You're just upset that she disavows your mythological claims that Muslim women do not engage in premarital sex.

This is debatable, we don't know what she is and most likely isn't a practicing muslim. She is most likely an opportunist gold digger and the old guy is too stupid to work it out LOL

It sounds a bit like Chaucer's , Canterbury Tales story, "The Merchants Tale", old rich Januarie and young pretty May, but where's Damyon Tongue 

Qutuz
For us this is just a normal mode of getting married. But for the Westerners this is a gross violation of peoples rights to go out commit adultery, have abortions, end up as single mothers sapping tax-payers money and perhaps one day end up marrying someone who you've already had sex with.

While a little exagerrated Qutuz makes a strong point, unfortunately the break-down of the family unit in the West is having a detrimental effect on society and will become a major problem in the near future. The less well off are suffering most, as there is no family unit and role model's are criminal's, gang member's, drug sellers and so on they are easily led into the wrong path. As their is no family structure they grow up in the streets, develop their own rules and try to create a family structure ie the Gangs which are a subconscience attempt to try and gain some stability and social feeling of harmony in their lives.

TheGR
True, that the divorce rate in America and in the West is much higher than in the Middle East, but in the West, wives are not routinely beaten, and it is certainly not acceptable to the society, whereas it is not only common

Infact domestic violence is a global problem, it is just as bad in the West as it is in the East, North or South.

TheGR
How often are women and girls murdered in the West for having premarital sex, being raped (no fault of their own, or even for being seen with a male who is not related to them? Are women forced to marry their rapist in America? Or are you now going to claim that this is a mere myth as well?

Firstly these issues are blown way out of proportion as if they are the norm in these societies.

Secondly they have nothing to do with Islam, they are tribal laws which are being carried on despite religion teaching them not to.  Tribal laws need to be prohibited or monitored in some way.

Regarding Honor Killing's, again these are a tribal law unfortunately it's been associated with all muslims (which is normal as there are alot of tribal societies in the muslim world although saying this not all tribal laws are the same and their are those which reject this)

Unfortunately some have mixed archaic, disturbingly cruel, oppressive tribal laws with religion and in these un-educated socities they sadly think they are being religous in carrying out these actions.

This really needs to be adressed.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 12:16

@ Bulldog:

1) Whether or not Asli Bayram is a practicing Muslim may be up for debate, however, the fact that she comes from a Turkish and Muslim background is well founded.

Furthermore, this destroys Qutuz's claim that Muslim women or women from Muslim backgrounds are not prone to the same vices as Western women.

2) Domestic violence occurs in every culture, but in the West, it is condemned and the husband can be arrested and jailed for it. In Middle Eastern and Muslim societies, this behavior is considered the norm.

3) You're from a Turkish background, and Turkey is probably the most secularized and Westernized Muslim country in the world (apart from Muslim-majority Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Albania, which are European nations), and as such, the problems that are faced by women in more traditional, more conservative Islamic societies are not as visible in a secular, modern Turkey.

4) I'm not here to debate with you or any other person in regards to the Islamic faith or Muslim peoples. I'm only countering Qutuz's Islamist-minded accusations against Western culture, and against secular Muslims. I have no qualms against the religion of Islam, or the followers of that faith, and as I have stated before, I greatly respect the faith, and secular Muslims.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 12:25
Divorce is never a good thing. But, I feel it is better to get a divorce rather than stay in an unloving and unhappy relationship.

I think, we cannot decide this. Divorce can be better for some families, and It can be worse for some families.

Divorce is an option available to end a bad relationship and, if you are lucky, gives you another chance to find someone else who can bring happiness into your life. After all, life is way too short to not live it to its fullest!

are we talking about family or person? Also what about childs? is their happiness means nothing?

3) You're from a Turkish background, and Turkey is probably the most secularized and Westernized Muslim country in the world (apart from Muslim-majority Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Albania, which are European nations), and as such, the problems that are faced by women in more traditional, more conservative Islamic societies are not as visible in a secular, modern Turkey.

Well, I generally see that, People who drunk are the one who harm women, not religious men. I do not see any correlation between islam and treating women bad. Do you?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Grim Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 12:41
Originally posted by Mortaza

Well, I generally see that, People who drunk are the one who harm women, not religious men. I do not see any correlation between islam and treating women bad. Do you?

I see a correlation between conservative societies and their relegation of women to second-class citizenship.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 12:44
conservative and muslim is absolutely not same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>