Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 05:25
You're playing fast and loose with terms here, Cyrus. Dad and Daurt are a long way from déor. Not to mention you still didn't respond to the question I posed to you after I pointed out that déor in OE has multiple meanings and that the meaning you ascribe to it is secondary. I will ask you again, where does deor meaning animal, beast fit into your point? Daurt and Dad are not etymologically the same.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 08:06
I just wonder how Persians, Pathians, Sassanids, Scyths, Sarmatians, whoever  could get even near Sweden 4000 years ago to become the ancestors of Germanic peoples. They would have needed a prime time-machine.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 08:06
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 08:25
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by King John

Old English Online: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/engol-BF-R.html

<déor> brave, valiant 

Cyrus, there is one problem with your definition, it is not complete. The first definition for Déor is not brave, valiant but rather animal, beast.1 Where does that fit into your point?
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=deer&searchmode=none :
Deer
O.E. deor "animal, beast," from P.Gmc. *deuzan, the general Gmc. word for "animal" (as opposed to man), but often restricted to "wild animal" (cf. O.N. dyr, O.H.G. tior, Ger. Tier, Goth. dius)

Middle Persian: Daurt and Modern Persian Dad (beast of prey, wild animal) -> http://www.windictionary.com/Persian-English-dad-Default.aspx

Cyrus, I've never heard about Dad meaning beast or wild animal in Modern Persian. In which dialect are you talking about?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 08:34
By the way, I think God, Gott (German) and Khoda (Persian) are similar, too.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 09:00
We've been already through this word. They just have a common IE root. I think I provided even more similar words for 'god'. If not, here they are:

O.E. god "supreme being, deity," from P.Gmc. *guthan (cf. Du. god, Ger. Gott, O.N. guð, Goth. guþ), from PIE *ghut- "that which is invoked" (cf. Skt. huta- "invoked," an epithet of Indra), from root *gheu(e)- "to call, invoke." But some trace it to PIE *ghu-to- "poured," from root *gheu- "to pour, pour a libation" (source of Gk. khein "to pour," khoane "funnel" and khymos "juice;" also in the phrase khute gaia "poured earth," referring to a burial mound). "Given the Greek facts, the Germanic form may have referred in the first instance to the spirit immanent in a burial mound" [Watkins]. Cf. also Zeus. Not related to good. Originally neut. in Gmc., the gender shifted to masc. after the coming of Christianity. O.E. god was probably closer in sense to L. numen. A better word to translate deus might have been P.Gmc. *ansuz, but this was only used of the highest deities in the Gmc. religion, and not of foreign gods, and it was never used of the Christian God. It survives in Eng. mainly in the personal names beginning in Os-.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 09:01
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 11:34
How about as in 'Wizard of Oz'? Where did Frank Baum get it from anyway?
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by Suren

Old English Online: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/engol-BF-R.html

<déor> brave, valiant 

Cyrus, there is one problem with your definition, it is not complete. The first definition for Déor is not brave, valiant but rather animal, beast.1 Where does that fit into your point?
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=deer&searchmode=none :
Deer
O.E. deor "animal, beast," from P.Gmc. *deuzan, the general Gmc. word for "animal" (as opposed to man), but often restricted to "wild animal" (cf. O.N. dyr, O.H.G. tior, Ger. Tier, Goth. dius)

Middle Persian: Daurt and Modern Persian Dad (beast of prey, wild animal) -> http://www.windictionary.com/Persian-English-dad-Default.aspx

Cyrus, I've never heard about Dad meaning beast or wild animal in Modern Persian. In which dialect are you talking about?
You know Persian language, don't you? "Dad" is the only Persian word for "Wild Animal", antonym of "Dam" which means "domesticated animal"

As you see, this famous poem of Hafiz is in the first link:

Wild Deer - آهوی وحشی

الا ای آهوی وحـشی کـجایی
مرا با توسـت چـندین آشـنایی
دو تنها و دو سرگردان دو بیکـس
دد و دامت کمین از پیش و از پـس

Where are you O Wild Deer?
I have known you for a while, here.
Both loners, both lost, both forsaken
The wild beast, for ambush, have all waken
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:23
Well, Proto-Germanic was around 4500 years ago, that is atleast the estimate, and any later then that is still before Middle Persian, so perhaps the Persians are a lost Germanic tribe and the Scythians traveled southwards to influence the Iranic people? How's that for a radical idea!Wink
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:28
Certainly more possible than Scythians being ancestors of Germanic peoples.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:39
http://www.aryanpour.com/

I found more words for 'beast'/'animal' and so on...
I searched for 'dad' here, but couldn't find anything. (and yes of course I used arabic script دد

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 13:40
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:42

When you look at the culture and language evolution, it doesn't make sense to even believe Germanic peoples were influenced by Iranics. First you have the Corded Ware culture, also known as the Battle Axe culture, and if you look at very old rune stones at the start of the Germanic Bronze age, you see alot of battle axes. Right there it already shows a different culture with such a simple example, but that is also just a piece of the puzzle. The Corded Culture goes way before the Scythians arrived.

Then obviously you have the Germanic Bronze age, which I believe established the Germanic cultures from the rest. And this is still far from the Scythians coming.

And then we get to the Iron Age, the age that the Scythians arrived in Europe I believe. But the Germanic people weren't influenced by them, they were influenced by a Celtic Culture, the Halstatt(did I spell this right?) Culture, which in turn formed another Germanic culture known as the Jastorf culture.

Putting these pieces together, and reading about each of those cultures seperatly, and then looking at the time periods they came into existence, and then comparing it to the Scythians, whose reach didn't go to Germany outside of perhaps trade. Well, I think that says it all.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:48

You're playing fast and loose with terms here, Cyrus. Dad and Daurt are a long way from déor. Not to mention you still didn't respond to the question I posed to you after I pointed out that déor in OE has multiple meanings and that the meaning you ascribe to it is secondary. I will ask you again, where does deor meaning animal, beast fit into your point? Daurt and Dad are not etymologically the same.
Do want to say Old English "Deor" (Wild Animal) and Middle Persian "Daurt" have different origins? "Dam" in modern English means both "barrier" and "animal" too, what does it prove?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 13:58
'dam' and 'dam' is etymologically different. They just happened to be homonyms today.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 14:04
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Well, Proto-Germanic was around 4500 years ago, that is atleast the estimate, and any later then that is still before Middle Persian, so perhaps the Persians are a lost Germanic tribe and the Scythians traveled southwards to influence the Iranic people? How's that for a radical idea!Wink
It seems you have believed that Proto-Germanic was a real language! Wink You can say 1 million years ago then you will believe that it is before all languages of the world!
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 14:07
When you look at the culture and language evolution, it doesn't make sense to even believe Germanic peoples were influenced by Iranics. First you have the Corded Ware culture, also known as the Battle Axe culture, and if you look at very old rune stones at the start of the Germanic Bronze age, you see alot of battle axes.
Do you mean Sagaris?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 14:14

If it was a name for a language that started a group of languages, then what was it? They compared the Germanic languages and were able to rebuild it, obviously it was a language that was IE in origin, but defined from others and a common ancestor for many to follow, which got the name Germanic.

Call it was you'd like, but it was WAY before your examples of Middle Persian.

dam  (1)
"water barrier," c.1325, probably from O.N. dammr or M.Du. dam, both from P.Gmc. *dammaz, of unknown origin.
The water berrier form comes from a Germanic origin.

1. Abbr. d. A female parent. Used of a four-legged animal.
  2. Archaic A mother.

[Middle English dam, dame, lady, mother; see dame.]
The animal verson your using above comes from Middle English, which may suggest French influence, though Slayer would know more then me.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 14:21

When you look at the culture and language evolution, it doesn't make sense to even believe Germanic peoples were influenced by Iranics. First you have the Corded Ware culture, also known as the Battle Axe culture, and if you look at very old rune stones at the start of the Germanic Bronze age, you see alot of battle axes.
Do you mean Sagaris?
Looking at the painting of this weapon, there's also a disinct art style of the two cultures, not to mention a different representation of the axe.
Everyone had axes, but the Scythians were known as a Bow Culture and the Germanics, atleast in their early stages were called a Battle Axe culture.

Even so, this is still way before any Iranic people made it to Europe in any kind of large numbers if any at all, and the battle Axe culture predates them from about atleast 1000 years.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 14:28

Do you mean Sagaris?

No, båtyxor.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 15:02
Sure it was a real language. And anyway - was Scythian a real language?? We know nothing about their language except a few words and names. And then, why are you comparing Old Saxon/Old English with Persian...what is the connection between Persian and Scythian?? If Proto-Germanic wasn't a real language, then neither was Old Iranian. So you have two options:
1, accept that PGer was a real language
2, abandon your theory

Choose whichever you want.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 16:15

Do want to say Old English "Deor" (Wild Animal) and Middle Persian "Daurt" have different origins? "Dam" in modern English means both "barrier" and "animal" too, what does it prove?

One problem with what you are saying and that is that dam and dam have different etymologies. Dam - a structure that acts as a barrier - comes from Middle English probably via Middle Dutch and was akin to Old English fordemman. Whereas dam - a female parent of a domesticated animal - comes from the word dame which is an Anglo-French word. You see these words have two different etymologies so they can't be from the same word.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>