Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Culture War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Culture War
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 14:09
I'd like to enter this discussion by making two potentially offensive, and extremely biased comments.

1) Bill O'Reilley is an ass.

2) 'Liberalism,' in the modern American vocabulary, doesn't mean anything.

Glad I got that off my chest. To clarify my statements, Bill O'Reilley is one of the most biased 'reporters' I've ever met. So is Lou Dobbs; all media has an agenda, which is a damn shame. 'News' should merely be the reporting of an event- not the interperation of the event. That should be left up to the public. Irresponsible 'news reporting' (in both 'sides' of the media) intereperets the events, thereby making pretty much all sources spurious. I seem to be haunted by the words of Joseph Pulitzer when I think about the media today:

"You give me a story, I'll give you a war."
-J. Pulitzer

As per 'Liberalism': In America, Liberalism can mean anything the espouser of said belief wants it to mean. Their is no commonly accepted definition of the term; it exist in our vocabulary at the same level as other slang words- everybody says it, but nobody has any idea of what it actually means (kind of like a disambiguation of 'gnarly'). I can call myself a 'liberal' if I support marriage rights for humans and animals; conversely, I can call myself a liberal and be anti-abortion. The term has no consistency, and cannot be accurately correlated with any particular set of political beliefs.

Pertaining to the 'Culture War': Every generation experiences it's own culture war. The elements of change in a society are always posed at odds with the traditionalists who want to see things stay the same. However, in our society, I believe change is coming too quickly for us to process it, or to count the costs or consequences. This is where the traditionalist element needs to step up. Our societal landscape becomes entirely different just about every ten years. We're making changes without allowing the necessary debates to take place to see what sort of changes are societally viable or acceptable, and what sort of things should be left by the wayside on the road of 'progress.' Societies need change; stagnation is the same as death- but unrestricted change and progress push the 'liberal' elements even further away from their traditionalist countrymen, and foster suspicion, hate, and mutual exclusion (all of which are disastrous for the survival of the society as a whole). So, in summation, change is necessary, but it needs to happen at a manageable rate, else the society pulls it apart at the seams, resulting in the 'culture war' that Mr. O'Reilley preaches.

There is a serious split in American culture, because the 'liberal' elements of change refuse to wait long enough for the rest of the country to catch up and accept their value systems. A happy medium between the results of change and the retention of traditional values needs to be found between the two parties, or we'll have something like the 60's again. Some people may see that as good, but I don't think it's ever good when the Army is set against the populace. Mutual respect and mutual understanding are going to be needed for these issues to resolve themselves.

As Aristotle said, "Moderation is Wisdom."

Cheers.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 14:38
Religious morals would be not being divorced, and in some cases not using protected sex. Society morals are not killing each other, not stealing from each other, and citizens not treating each other like dirt. Those I would guess come about us being a tribal species because we do in alot of cases treat those of differing cultures like dirt.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 13:08
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I thought it was Ben Franklin who made sure the word God was taken out of the constitution during the editing of it.
And wasn't one of the most influencial founding fathers, James Madison a huge advocate of Seperation of Church and State and is said to believe that Religion shouldn't be apart of the political process?

So they may have been Christian, but they also made sure it didn't leak into our countries politics except for influences that allow freedoms and fairness for the people.

and that i completely agree with. of course there has to be seperation of church and state. but we must not forget the values on which our freedoms are based upon
But, that does not mean that we should act like religion has a large part in our political process. Morals are morals. Religion does not own those morals.

I do not believe that statement. I believe that morals are a consequence of religious beliefs. If we go back and learn about other people's cultures their moral beliefs are based upon what their religion tells them to do. Our society is no differnt whether being quaker, calvanist, evangelical, catholic, or even agnostic. Again I believe in the seperation of church and state, but we still have a religious background whether you want to believe it or not, but that is what gives us our freedoms and that is what makes us American
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 12:28

I thought it was Ben Franklin who made sure the word God was taken out of the constitution during the editing of it.
And wasn't one of the most influencial founding fathers, James Madison a huge advocate of Seperation of Church and State and is said to believe that Religion shouldn't be apart of the political process?

So they may have been Christian, but they also made sure it didn't leak into our countries politics except for influences that allow freedoms and fairness for the people.

and that i completely agree with. of course there has to be seperation of church and state. but we must not forget the values on which our freedoms are based upon

But, that does not mean that we should act like religion has a large part in our political process. Morals are morals. Religion does not own those morals.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 23:45

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:57
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:46
Ponce, you are misinterpreting red clay's response. He said that each of the others voted out the prayer before ceremony, and that includes Washington, no matter what irrelevant quote you can pull out.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 21:12
Originally posted by red clay

It is true that the Church should not control the government. But we cannot escape the heritage that our American government comes from. Our constitution is based on Judeo-Christian beliefs. Ben Franklin + Thomas Jefferson even suggested having prayers before meetings!

And were soundly voted down, as they were the only ones who thought so.

The only ones who thought so about religion and government?

Here is a quote from George Washington's farewell adress

"Of all dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labour to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness, these firmest of props of the duties of Men and citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and cherish them."
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 00:31
wow, Ponce de Leon, in these times of political correctness and ignorance, you are a brave one to venture upon such a topic.

morals and language. you ask an american why we use a word in english. does he know the etymology? i doubt it. without out knowing the etymology of the word, it can be hard to discern what word is most appropriate when we have more than one choice; often we go off context or personal preference, but that's not the logical manner. and so with morals. morals, like language, are something we have inherited through generations and generations of experimentation, innovation, and use. like language, they define us personally and socially, control us, and shape us, and give us an outlet for our expression. you can carry on this metaphor as long as you like.

My point is people would like to think they can moralize without knowing the backdrop and reason for morality and particular morals.

Take marriage. someone claimed it was a religious, or a Christian institution. someone claimed Ponce was "close-minded" about his definition of marriage.

what do these people know about morals (theoretically)? if they dared to actually study the things they are attacking, say tradition and religion, they'd know that 1. marriage is a long-standing, pre-Christian human institution, which 2. Christianity recognizes as good. (for instance, human sacrifice is an institution that Christianity considers bad.)

i think the "close-minded" ones are those who throw around weighted words accusingly without actually focusing on the reasoning of the discussion.

Edited by The_Jackal_God - 24-Feb-2007 at 00:32
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 20:18
Originally posted by JanusRook

So you see, gentlemen, we are all disobeying the Biblical command to commit incest

Not all of us, as Appalachia suggests......Dead

LOLHey, they are the most religious of us all.LOL

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 04:39

So you see, gentlemen, we are all disobeying the Biblical command to commit incest

Not all of us, as Appalachia suggests......Dead
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 23:33
If you all want something really interesting...

"I believe that when God made Adam and He gave him Eve as his companion, He took her from [Adam's] body out of his side when He could have just as easily given her to him out of some other material, such as from a pine tree or a pin oak. But He gave her to him out of [Adam's] own body, which meant that she came out of his body as both his daughter and sister, because both were and are the children of God. [God] gave this daughter and sister to [Adam] for his wife, and this is the law that God made and ordered, that brother should marry sister, and father with daughter."
[Bartolome Sanchez, ca. 1550]

So you see, gentlemen, we are all disobeying the Biblical command to commit incest. LOL

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 21:39
Oh I understand that. It's kinda funny, as I type this out a show tonight is about polygamy.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:17
I know of both happy and unhappy polygamous marriages, there isn't anything wrong with the system, but sometimes there is with the people. (Just like monogamous marriages)
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 10:56
Why would polygamy hurt the children? Surely a divorce and remarriage hurt the children enormously more. Polygamy can increase the living conditions of the family, many hands make light work.

Having said that, I fully believe that an additional wife should only be taken with the consent of the existing ones, and polygamy should be limited (... to four).
Then I guess nothing would be wrong. I just always read that the children are going to be effected in a negitive way in this kind of enviroment. But I also haven't read up on it as it never really interested me enough to study the history of these kind of marriages.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 03:21

Ah. Whereas I would assert that a man may have three wives but a divorce must separate each new marriage from the previous one; or how a Catholic would assert that no divorce is permissible, although an infinite number of marriages may take place as long as there is an infinite number of annulments stating that they were not marriages to begin with.

I think it would do secularists good to remember that their interpretations of immorality are formed by their particular tribal thought processes.

-Akolouthos
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 03:09
Shariah Law
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 03:04
I just can't seem to get out of this thread. LOL

Where does the number four come from?

-Akolouthos
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 02:54
Why would polygamy hurt the children? Surely a divorce and remarriage hurt the children enormously more. Polygamy can increase the living conditions of the family, many hands make light work.

Having said that, I fully believe that an additional wife should only be taken with the consent of the existing ones, and polygamy should be limited (... to four).
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 01:34
I myself is against it, but if it's proven that it doesn't hurt the children, then why should it be illegal? I'm honestly not saying this to make my arguement, I'm a firm believer as long as it doesn't harm anyone else, then it shouldn't be a problem.
No should be forced against their will either way as long as no one is being harmed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>