Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim/Islamic Women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim/Islamic Women
    Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:35
i keep reading on the paper about Muslim/Islamic women are stiking up for themselves. That is great to hear, but it makes me sad what the men are doing to prevent this.Cry This would is changing very fast. Good job to all women who don't listen to their abusive male counterparts. We guys should stick up for them more often. It if not just women either, it is children too. We shall stick up for them also.  
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 09:32

Ok I maybe exagerating but I will see my opinion again as I read the book Hirschi Ali then we will see who is rightWink

Edited by Top Gun - 10-Feb-2007 at 04:38
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 15:52
Originally posted by Top Gun

yes its sad how SOME muslims abuse their wifes in order of the Koran I have pitty with them ...and wearing that hot burka and they are brainwashed by there own culture they don't know aything else

Well, Top Gun, the customs of cultures must always be respected. We (Westerners) look at a burka as something hot,uncomfortable, and as a punishment to women, but they don't see it like that. It's been their custom for centuries and all they are doing is maintaing their culture. Physical abuse is another matter, though...that causes bodily and mental pain and suffering and should be reformed somehow and at some point. They will evolve at their own time and pace, hopefully.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 16:18
Koran doesn't order this type of wearing.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 16:21
Nope, this is a Beduoin tradition (covering face) incorporated into Islam via Hadiths, I believe.   Apparently pre Abrahamic belief was that covering the face protected against demons. In remote nomadic bedouin tribes men do it too.

In the Middle East (and India) in general I believe women have always worn head scarves.

Edited by Zagros - 09-Feb-2007 at 16:22
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 16:30
this is quite boring. every few months someone mentions this.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 17:17
I think I have come up with a different reason as to why Bedouin women were encouraged to wear a veil back in the days of Mohammad.

Bedouin society was very warlike and fierce, rival tribes of unruly and single minded warriors competed with eachother endlessly for supremacy. Mohammad found this useful, once he was able to meld these soldiers together in unity under his own banner.

What we must realise is that it was all too easy for the old rivalries and fractious tensions to flare up again between the different tribes. What would be a major source for conflict? Quite simply, a man insulting the honour of one tribe by doing something considered inappropriate with the woman of the tribe, such as making a pass at her, inappropriate gestures, or even eloping with the said woman.

The question was, how do we keep the peace in this difficult situation? Could we simply tell these unruly Bedouin warriors to settle down and simply not give in to their urges? No, it wasn't going to happen with these men. They were difficult enough to channel into warfare, let alone being told to control their sexual urges. The solution as to how to cut down on the conflict causing issue of women was to simply make the women cover themselves up. It was the easier and more practical approach to the problem, and I suspect it was at least reasonably successful in helping to minimise conflicts sparked by a perceived insult to one tribe's honour.

That's just what appears logical to me.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:24
Eh? Nice theory, but the veil was something adopted later from the Persians.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:37
The Persians were once fierce mobile warriors too. I think the veil played a role in many of the societies by reducing conflict incited by lust over women. The Byzantines would use the veil now and then as well, though it wasn't required by their religion but merely a custom.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 04:40
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I think I have come up with a different reason as to why Bedouin women were encouraged to wear a veil back in the days of Mohammad.

Bedouin society was very warlike and fierce, rival tribes of unruly and single minded warriors competed with eachother endlessly for supremacy. Mohammad found this useful, once he was able to meld these soldiers together in unity under his own banner.

What we must realise is that it was all too easy for the old rivalries and fractious tensions to flare up again between the different tribes. What would be a major source for conflict? Quite simply, a man insulting the honour of one tribe by doing something considered inappropriate with the woman of the tribe, such as making a pass at her, inappropriate gestures, or even eloping with the said woman.

The question was, how do we keep the peace in this difficult situation? Could we simply tell these unruly Bedouin warriors to settle down and simply not give in to their urges? No, it wasn't going to happen with these men. They were difficult enough to channel into warfare, let alone being told to control their sexual urges. The solution as to how to cut down on the conflict causing issue of women was to simply make the women cover themselves up. It was the easier and more practical approach to the problem, and I suspect it was at least reasonably successful in helping to minimise conflicts sparked by a perceived insult to one tribe's honour.

That's just what appears logical to me.

never thought about it but it sounds more brilliant then it is
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 12:43
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The Persians were once fierce mobile warriors too. I think the veil played a role in many of the societies by reducing conflict incited by lust over women. The Byzantines would use the veil now and then as well, though it wasn't required by their religion but merely a custom.

It is a mere custom in Islamic cultures as well, the Qu'ran has no mention of any such requirement... the Hadith do, but to me personally, the Hadith are not a necessity to be a muslim, they are traditions and sayings perscribed to the Prophet Muhamad(pbuh), however, none of them are marked as "true," or "false" they are categorized as to more or less reliable. It is not at unplausible that some "convenience" ones were added on by people over time.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 15:02
I reccomend the biography of Hirschi Ali to read it must be out now in Amerika.
it tells the whole story of muslims and women
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by Sparten

The headscarves were a part of the greater middle eastern tradition, but what was exclusively BEDOUIN is the covering of the face.
Aktufe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aktufe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 05:22

LOL
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:47
Originally posted by Aktufe

LOL

whats funny Ouch
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:36
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by Sparten

The headscarves were a part of the greater middle eastern tradition, but what was exclusively BEDOUIN is the covering of the face.

Zagros, why is that? What is the reason they must cover the entire face? Do you know? Constantine mentioned a reason above, but he didn't seem sure of it!

Edited by morticia - 12-Feb-2007 at 14:37
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:37

Just a curiousity (and mine ignorance)

Is there any Muslim country where theirs women are free enough to wear tangas (or at least bikinis) on the beach?

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:28
Originally posted by pinguin

Just a curiousity (and mine ignorance)

Is there any Muslim country where theirs women are free enough to wear tangas (or at least bikinis) on the beach?

Pinguin

Turkey, Bosnia, Lebanon, Albania...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:33
Really?

I can't believe it.

I believe Western Media blind us to reality, indeed.

The only thing we see are Afgan women with Gurkas and Palestinean women that look like the Virgen Mary or a Catholic nun LOL

Edited by pinguin - 12-Feb-2007 at 21:35
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 00:59
Originally posted by morticia

Well, Top Gun, the customs of cultures must always be respected. We (Westerners) look at a burka as something hot,uncomfortable, and as a punishment to women, but they don't see it like that. It's been their custom for centuries and all they are doing is maintaing their culture. Physical abuse is another matter, though...that causes bodily and mental pain and suffering and should be reformed somehow and at some point. They will evolve at their own time and pace, hopefully.

I despise women wearing a headscarf as I am staunchly secular, but I think you are correct. Most women do not feel compelled in any way shape or form the wear the headscarf, they do it out of their own choosing. I think this song captures very accurate the reasons why so many Muslims are wearing the scarf:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=58jpmpT_wco

Edited by bg_turk - 13-Feb-2007 at 01:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>