Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most heroic place of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most heroic place of your country
    Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 22:13
And congratulations to you on finding a site of a battle for Communism a heroic place.

Because it would be so much better if Hitler exterminated 3/4 of us and enslaved the rest.
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 02:25

I think it is Gelibolu Peninsula in Canakkale where we fought against British, French and Australian armies and navies.  The area is big. At the south of the straits and peninsula there is the famous city of Troia which is also a symbol of heroism against invading Greek army. 

Here is Kilitbahir.

Naval museum

One of the Turkish cemeteries

Turkish artillary

View of Sulva Bay from Conkbayiri

Anzac Cove, Gallipoli

Anzac Bay

Anzac Day service 2004 around lone pine tree

Anzac day in Gellipoli

Ataturk in the war of Gallipoli

Old enemies, good friends - Veteran Turkish and Anzac soldiers and their childs

The legendary city of Troia in Canakkale

City walls in Troia which may have witnessed the heroism which has talked in Homer's legends.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 20:17
The ironian castle is really awesome and its history is very respectable and inspiring!
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 22:03
I think that in Portugal, one of the most heroic places, so to speak, would have to be the city of Porto. It is called the Invicta (unconquered, unbeaten) because it was never conquered by the invading armies of Napoleon.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 23:38
Originally posted by Alparslan

I think it is Gelibolu Peninsula in Canakkale where we fought against British, French and Australian armies and navies.  The area is big. At the south of the straits and peninsula there is the famous city of Troia which is also a symbol of heroism against invading Greek army. 

Here is Kilitbahir.

Naval museum

One of the Turkish cemeteries

Turkish artillary

View of Sulva Bay from Conkbayiri

Anzac Cove, Gallipoli

Anzac Bay

Anzac Day service 2004 around lone pine tree

Anzac day in Gellipoli

Ataturk in the war of Gallipoli

Old enemies, good friends - Veteran Turkish and Anzac soldiers and their childs

The legendary city of Troia in Canakkale

City walls in Troia which may have witnessed the heroism which has talked in Homer's legends.

This is off the subject but Geliblou was brought up and whether you guys here know or not, a movie on the war is coming on March 18.  Check it out in this link : http://www.canakkale-film.com/

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 23:44
Yes, we know that. There's actually a thread on that in the Islamic World forum. You just didn't need to quote Alparsan's entire post for the matter being.
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 02:12

Thank you Faramez for your valuable information.

First time I have met with an Azeri on this forum.    

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 10:49

Originally posted by Infidel

Yes, we know that. There's actually a thread on that in the Islamic World forum. You just didn't need to quote Alparsan's entire post for the matter being.

I know I didn't have to, I just wasn't thinking.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 10:52
Actually Alparslan I'm a mixture of Turkish and Azeri.  My mothers father was Azeri.  So I'll probably be switching back and forth when I feel like it.  Nice to meet you anyway.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 11:01

No intent to be rude or anything, Feramez. Just wanted to point out that sometimes one quotes a great deal more than is necessary and it becomes slower and harder to scroll down through the topics for the rest.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 11:09
Ok, I apologize.  As I said I just wasn't thinking.  I'll make sure not to quote anything not needed again.
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 03:00
Most heroic places for Mongols?  Too many sites all over Eurasia and many are known.

For relatively unknown sites, I would say, the city of Hiagt, where we kicked the stuffing outta the 10000 Chinese soldiers with 500 Mongolian troops at 1921. (The Chinese were defending it but we stormed in and through some struggle, chased them away)   Mongolia was occupied by the Chinese then and the Chinese commander at Mongolian theater was Xu Shu Zhang or "little Xu". 

Also, at Khalkhiin Gol, Russian and Mongolian forces soundly defeated an entire army of Emperial Japan(The Kwantung Army of the Manchurian theater), from 1936-1941.  We chased them all the way to manchuria, liberating northern Chinese cities along the way.  Marshall Zhukov became our hero then and there.

Edited by El_Bandito
I'm awake, I'm awake.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:08

The plains around stirling.

Here celtic heroism stooped low the arrogant infidel twice. Smug in their numbers and "superiority" twice we sent them fleeing in terror. Scottish independence was built on the blood spilt around stirling. Too bad our greedy nobles sold us out for English gold. We shall rise again!!

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 18:07

http://www.castlesontheweb.com/photoarchive/photos/3841.jpg

This is by far the most heroic place in my country. The castle with no more then a few thousand soldiers withstood three massive sieges from the Ottoman Empire, two of them involved the all famous Mehmed "The Conquerer" who in his second try completely strangled the place from all sides, cut off any possible supply route and completely drowned it in men. In the end, thanks to the genius of our national hero Skanderbeg, Mehmed had to give up and went home. Before that the castle was also sieged by Sultan Murad II who also had a massive force with him. The garrison was only about 2,000 and the castle did not fall. The fourth time however was a charm , except Mehmed did not capture it by force. It was starved out.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 21:10

Verdun during WW1. Longest battle in a war, the french never gave up and managed to win the long battle.

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 06:04

###

In April, a landing on the Gallipoli Penninsula attempted to secure the shores and silence the Turkish guns. Trouble brewed from the beginning. Amphibious operations were a new and unperfected form of warfare leading to poor communications, troop deployment and supply. The Turks entrenched themselves on the high ground pouring artillery and machine gun fire down upon the hapless Australian, New Zealand, Irish, French and British troops below. The battleground soon resembled that of the Western Front - both sides peering at each other from fortified trenches, forced to spill their precious blood in futile frontal attacks on well defended positions. The stalemate continued through the fall of 1915 until British forces withdrew at the end of the year.

Casualties were high - approximately 252,000 or 52% for the British/French while the Ottoman Turks suffered about 300,000 casualties or a rate of 60%. The failed campaign gained little and badly tarnished both Churchill's and Kitchener's reputations. ###

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/gallipoli.htm

So , is this the most "heroic" monument of Turkey ??

A poorly conceived , poorly executed amphibian expedition of the Allied Forces in WW 1 , which stoped in front of the deep trenches the Turks have dug ??? And it is considered "heroic" just because the Turks didn't lose ....

Just imagine the scene , when the allied forces seeing no gain for them fighting there and having casualties without any substancial gain , decided to withdraw ..... Turks jumping all over shouting " we won...we on.." we got them bored so much that they r leaving....Because that is exactly what they did . They didnt attact to drive the allied forces to the sea , they just stood there , deep in the trenches , waiting for the allies to leave...

This comes not as a surprise....Turks have conquered the land which now is Turkey , so all heroic places there , are probably heroic  for those who defended them against the invading Turks.

Isk.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 07:45

You know what a trech war is? You may loose a trenche but you have to attack to reconquer it. In Gallipoli trenches have changed hand many times. If allies would not have huge fire power of navy they would be pushed back to the sea. In many instances they have been saved by navy fire and run away untile shores after Turkish offensive.

Defending trenches is very important. Just remember what happened in 1922 at Turkish offensive against Greek trenches. You have lost your trenches and run away.

Poor guys......   

AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 08:45
In Scotland i would say Bannockburn.  In the battle of Bannockburn the mighty English army with 40,000 well trained men were up against 13,000 Scots including women and children.
The English were heavily armed, had included 2,500 heavy cavalry, 500 light cavalry and 2000 Welsh bowmen.  Following the army there was a huge train carrying weapons and equipment as well as huge supplies of food.
The Scots by contrast were starved and were outnumbered 3 to 1, their resources were exhausted after 18 years of war and were therefore lightly armed.
Robert the Bruce led the Scots in battle( he was not a traitor like he was potrayed in the film Braveheart).
The battle and the war in general showed that even a world superpower  can be defeated by a small number of determined freedom fighters, that the might of superior weapons is no match for those who truly want to be free from foreign hegemony.

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 08:49
Originally posted by Alparslan

You know what a trech war is? You may loose a trenche but you have to attack to reconquer it. In Gallipoli trenches have changed hand many times. If allies would not have huge fire power of navy they would be pushed back to the sea. In many instances they have been saved by navy fire and run away untile shores after Turkish offensive.

Yes i know what a trench war is .In most times , if not all , when the armies are almost equal , the result is a stalemate , as it was im the West front , wher it took the added forces of USA to change the equality and defeat the Germans.

And Alp , please stay on the facts....dont start IF this amd IF that...speculation leads nowhere..

Defending trenches is very important. Just remember what happened in 1922 at Turkish offensive against Greek trenches. You have lost your trenches and run away.

Sure , it was inevitable ....a small army stretched in a front line of 1.000 klms , without the chance of fresh troops , is doomed , from every ,military book that exists.The strange thing , is how they managed to go so far...long thin lines of supplies in ammunition and provisions ....exactly the nightmare of every army. Exactly what happened to Hitler's army when he reached Moscow and Napoleon's too.

Poor guys......   

Yes , i agree with u . They payed the mistakes of their generals , who in their turn were suffering from the internal political fights back in Greece...Exactly the oposite of what an army needs.

Isk.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 09:22
Originally posted by iskenderani

###

In April, a landing on the Gallipoli Penninsula attempted to secure the shores and silence the Turkish guns. Trouble brewed from the beginning. Amphibious operations were a new and unperfected form of warfare leading to poor communications, troop deployment and supply. The Turks entrenched themselves on the high ground pouring artillery and machine gun fire down upon the hapless Australian, New Zealand, Irish, French and British troops below. The battleground soon resembled that of the Western Front - both sides peering at each other from fortified trenches, forced to spill their precious blood in futile frontal attacks on well defended positions. The stalemate continued through the fall of 1915 until British forces withdrew at the end of the year.

Casualties were high - approximately 252,000 or 52% for the British/French while the Ottoman Turks suffered about 300,000 casualties or a rate of 60%. The failed campaign gained little and badly tarnished both Churchill's and Kitchener's reputations. ###

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/gallipoli.htm

So , is this the most "heroic" monument of Turkey ??

A poorly conceived , poorly executed amphibian expedition of the Allied Forces in WW 1 , which stoped in front of the deep trenches the Turks have dug ??? And it is considered "heroic" just because the Turks didn't lose ....

Just imagine the scene , when the allied forces seeing no gain for them fighting there and having casualties without any substancial gain , decided to withdraw ..... Turks jumping all over shouting " we won...we on.." we got them bored so much that they r leaving....Because that is exactly what they did . They didnt attact to drive the allied forces to the sea , they just stood there , deep in the trenches , waiting for the allies to leave...

This comes not as a surprise....Turks have conquered the land which now is Turkey , so all heroic places there , are probably heroic  for those who defended them against the invading Turks.

Isk.

Do you know what was heroic about that place?Do you know how our soldiers fought to death?There was only one order given by Kemal"i command you to die"

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>