Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ban on Female Genital Mutilation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ban on Female Genital Mutilation
    Posted: 03-May-2007 at 14:41
Eritrea (a country in norther East Africa - Sudan in the West, Ethiopia in the south and Djibouti in the southeast) has put a ban on female genital mutilation (a/k/a female circumcision) . Thats the best news Ive heard this year. Any promoter or practitioner of FGM is now subject to a fine or imprisonment of up to 10 years. The new generation of women from Eritrea will not have to face genital mutilation anymore. Heres the website.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070405/wl_nm/eritrea_circumcision_dc_3
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 14:51
Welcome to the 21rst century ...

BC
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by morticia

Eritrea (a country in norther East Africa - Sudan in the West, Ethiopia in the south and Djibouti in the southeast) has put a ban on female genital mutilation (a/k/a female circumcision) . Thats the best news Ive heard this year. Any promoter or practitioner of FGM is now subject to a fine or imprisonment of up to 10 years. The new generation of women from Eritrea will not have to face genital mutilation anymore. Heres the website.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070405/wl_nm/eritrea_circumcision_dc_3

And for Eritrean women tooLOLWink

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 19:10
Brilliant, a step forward in eliminating this barbaric practice.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 04:11
Originally posted by morticia

The new generation of women from Eritrea will not have to face genital mutilation anymore.

One hopes so... But the pessimist in me tells me that this law is just a first small step, and far from the end...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 09:46
Now let's get to work on banning their western counterparts, plastic surgery and "breast enhancement" surgery..
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:04
Well, I am no fan of plastic surgery, but a ban is going a bit far... Some women do have actual physical discomfort due to genealogical anatomy... And to be as flat as a boy is no-ones dream.

Lets just ban the idea that perfection is positive. Perfection is boring.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 04-May-2007 at 10:04

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:24
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Now let's get to work on banning their western counterparts, plastic surgery and "breast enhancement" surgery..

well they are not quite so horrific and most are done at the females behest. FGM is a terrible outdated horror that should have been left behind many years ago.

Good news but still aways to go.
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:49
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, I am no fan of plastic surgery, but a ban is going a bit far... Some women do have actual physical discomfort due to genealogical anatomy... And to be as flat as a boy is no-ones dream.

You could say the same about FGM.  Why not let the individual women choose?  I think the pressures and bad consequences are comparable.. except more extreme and universal in the case of FGM of course...
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:51
Originally posted by New User

well they are not quite so horrific and most are done at the females behest. FGM is a terrible outdated horror that should have been left behind many years ago.

Good news but still aways to go.

OK, what woman if left to her own devices would want to have her face/chest surgically changed?  Why would someone do such a dangerous thing for no reason?  Besides if you watch documentaries about FGM many of the women who have it are saying how disgusting it would be not to, and how men would find them unattractive.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:59
True, all that is bad. But, if I may be a bit graphical on this, I know a girl who had her genitals fixed because it hurt for her to sit down, let alone ride a bike (which was agony). In the Netherlands, not being able to ride a bike is a very big social hindrance... Wink 

Let's not forget that plastic surgery, originally, was devised as a result of the many burn wounds of soldiers in WWI and WWII. And still, the ability to repair the defects of ones body that really seriously hinder one is a valuable one. The problem is: it has gone way to far. Way to far... I recently saw a documentary on it that would make you sick. A mother with a 15 year old who kept calling her daughters private parts a 'condition', a surgeon who told the camera with a big smile that he would be able to retire before 40... Honestly, the idea my little kitten has the posibility of being 'wrong' never even occured to me... Let alone I search the internet for pics to check up with... like that 15 year old did. I suggest that mother uses the money on therapy and an internetfilter instead...Confused

But female circumsision serves no purpose whatsoever. It is not quite the same as getting a designer cunny. The only design is to make sure that women do not, at any cost, enjoy sex... I mean...imagine... they might get ideas...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 04-May-2007 at 12:03

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 12:12

OK, what woman if left to her own devices would want to have her face/chest surgically changed?  Why would someone do such a dangerous thing for no reason?  Besides if you watch documentaries about FGM many of the women who have it are saying how disgusting it would be not to, and how men would find them unattractive.

Plenty of women. Have you seen a women struggle with a double h cup bosom? Also I would quite happily get mine lifted when I get a wee bit older(not that they are HH or anything!), not for any man either.

Edited by New User - 04-May-2007 at 12:22
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:03
Here are just a few of the medical consequences from female genital mutilation:

"Immediate complications include severe pain, shock, haemorrhage, urine retention, ulceration of the genital region and injury to adjacent tissue. Haemorrhage and infection can cause death.

More recently, concern has arisen about possible transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) due to the use of one instrument in multiple operations, but this has not been the subject of detailed research.

Long-term consequences include cysts and abscesses, keloid scar formation, damage to the urethra resulting in urinary incontinence, dyspareunia (painful sexual intercourse) and sexual dysfunction and difficulties with childbirth.

Psychosexual and psychological health: Genital mutilation may leave a lasting mark on the life and mind of the woman who has undergone it. In the longer term, women may suffer feelings of incompleteness, anxiety and depression."

It's definitely a plus for women to place a ban on this barbaric ritual.

Source: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:20
It was legalShocked

I thought people just didn't listen 2 the law

it was worth than I thought

people it is going to be a Loooooooooong wayCry
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:41
Very positive ,especially because it is one of the few good news coming from Africa.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 22:02
To me, breast reduction is not at all the same thing, I don't think it's a problem. 
Anyways, I guess I won't convince anyone about this, but I think FGM and plastic surgery are less different than we think.  Both involve needless surgery to make women more pleasing for men, both seem perfectly acceptable to men in the society itself, who are willing to defend it as we have seen here.  "Oh well what woman would want to go without those changes anyways"
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 02:12
I agree with that Dan.

Brest Implants and such like only have one positive aspect, they lower the cost of plastic surgery for people who need it due to medical problems. Social Security paid by the vein.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 10:35

To me, breast reduction is not at all the same thing, I don't think it's a problem. 
Anyways, I guess I won't convince anyone about this, but I think FGM and plastic surgery are less different than we think.  Both involve needless surgery to make women more pleasing for men, both seem perfectly acceptable to men in the society itself, who are willing to defend it as we have seen here.  "Oh well what woman would want to go without those changes anyways"

Plastic surgery does not always have anything to do with men.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 11:14

Dan, FGM is totally different from plastic surgery for one reason.

Plastic surgery is performed on adult women who WILLINGLY sign up to have whatever operation they need or think they need.
Often, health issues are the reason for plastic surgery.

FGM is performed BY adults on minor girls (normally up to age 6 or 8) AGAINST their will - how can an 8 year girl have any conception about the consequences of what they do to her?  
Its utterly disgusting, the worst kind of child-molesting performed by adults and has no justification what so ever.

~ Northman

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 11:19
ummm...what exactely is involved in FGM? Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>