Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Demand for Women to join Afghan police

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demand for Women to join Afghan police
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:59
The tradition of the women in Afghan used to be the role of subservient wife and mother, with daughters often being sold and traded into marriage. But the new democratic Afghanistan is allowing women to become police officers. This article shows a photo of Nahid Rezaie, who has become the first female detective in her province of Bamiyan.

Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9968049&ft=1&f=1001

Nahid Rezaie

another detective,Shokoufeh Kadimi (left) and Nahid Rezaie (right)
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:00
Well, let's hope she has real duties ,not just advertising Afgani reforms.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 06:48
What new democratic Afghanistan?

Actually for that matter what Afghan police force?

Hell, what on earth is a subservient Afghan woman?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 08:50

Iran's police women look like snazzy nuns, I wonder if Afghanistan's will look like ninjas lol.

Edited by Zagros - 09-May-2007 at 08:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 20:14
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Hell, what on earth is a subservient Afghan woman?

Common now Omar, I know full well as you do that Islam, and many Islamic countries are not as they are often portrayed. We both are muslims, and know enough to know that the Qu'ran gurantees rights to male and female, however, do not tell me that you question that there are subervient Afghan women. That much is actually obvious, the closing of schools by the Taliban for women, among other of their rather ludicrous "reforms" are enough proof that Afghan women largerly have been targeted to perform some sort of "taliban" Islamic view of the ideal woman, which in their backward view is to more or less stfu, sit at home, cook, throw out some babies, and put on a blanket before walking out, I am sure that most would chose rather to walk without that hinderance than to wear it. Conditioning human beings to accept unfair terms is not Islamic, and that is what the Taliban did, attempted to condition the males, and the females into accepting female subserviency through checking, i.e. their little morality police, public beatings, and teaching the younger males to follow their lead. What happened there was a tragedy not to be undermined, and what happened there is a big reason why Islam is looked down upon because the average person will associate Islam with what is happening in this "Islamic" state of Afghanistan.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 22:22
Dumb move. Even the men can't control the country. Women are needed in the police force, but first there needs to be security.

es_bih, you got Afghanistan all wrong. All what you mentioned has always been present in Afghanistan. Taliban were idiots, Massoud and the rest were much from the same cloth. Religious police still walk the provinces, even with the blessing of the Afghan government. I hope women do join the police force in Afghanistan eventually, but now isn't the time to be trying to score brownie points for their image with the security problems there.
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 23:37
I am not familliar with the developements as of recent, nor did I mention them, however, such occurences have been happening since the Taliban period, and they do not help in any way to further Women's rights in Afghanistan at all. Islam gurantees rights, the Taliban interpretation however sadly does not.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 05:12
es_bih, you took that slightly* more seriously than I intended

*by which I mean alot more seriously than I intended. I was just making fun of all the stubborn and headstrong Afghan women I know.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 08:12

Pakhtun women are very headstrong. And anything but subservient.

I tried a Punjabi girl; for a while, but she turned out to be just as bad. I suspect the rest of Pakistan is the same story.

Subservient women exist only in the imaginations of some bored oriental fiction writer dreaming of a harem.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 08:45
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Dumb move. Even the men can't control the country. Women are needed in the police force, but first there needs to be security.

es_bih, you got Afghanistan all wrong. All what you mentioned has always been present in Afghanistan. Taliban were idiots, Massoud and the rest were much from the same cloth. Religious police still walk the provinces, even with the blessing of the Afghan government. I hope women do join the police force in Afghanistan eventually, but now isn't the time to be trying to score brownie points for their image with the security problems there.

There you go again, Telde, sexist and chauvinist as ever. Your post makes clear that you think women in police foreces are just there for decoration and a little pr, to be let in as soon as the men have finished the real job. It probably did not ever occur to you that women can do the same job as men in the police force, and actually take and active part in achieving that well desired security in the country?

Your demenaning attitude towards women is getting annoying. Consider this an informal warning for discrimination.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 12:25
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

es_bih, you took that slightly* more seriously than I intended

*by which I mean alot more seriously than I intended. I was just making fun of all the stubborn and headstrong Afghan women I know.

If so then I apologize Omar.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 12:27
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

There you go again, Telde, sexist and chauvinist as ever. Your post makes clear that you think women in police foreces are just there for decoration and a little pr, to be let in as soon as the men have finished the real job. It probably did not ever occur to you that women can do the same job as men in the police force, and actually take and active part in achieving that well desired security in the country?

Your demenaning attitude towards women is getting annoying. Consider this an informal warning for discrimination.

Actually putting women into the police force is crucial. Integrating all sectors of soceity into the new Afghanistan is a first step into actually creating it. Women police officers can do the same jobs, and are needed, especially in a traditionalist society such as Afghanistan.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 14:51
Originally posted by es_bih

Actually putting women into the police force is crucial. Integrating all sectors of soceity into the new Afghanistan is a first step into actually creating it. Women police officers can do the same jobs, and are needed, especially in a traditionalist society such as Afghanistan.

Thank you, Es_bih! I couldn't have said it better! As far as I'm concerned, it's a "foot in the door".   
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:03
Thank you, you are welcome.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 22:07

Women police officers are essential. That is true. Just as women doctors are essential in Afghan society, perhaps even more so. But a war zone is no place for a woman to be doing frontline jobs. It's as simple as that. It all depends on how exposed they are to the violence. Hundreds of police officers are killed in Afghanistan each month, so the same parameters don't apply as for Western society. Women doctors in Afghanistan would be completely rational at this stage, police officers are simply acceptable targets of the Taliban.

And no, I'm not getting into a p-ing contest over this. Those are my thoughts, and reasons. I'm not too bothered about scoring brownie points over this. G'nite.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 22:34

No arguements from here. I am slightly worried about their security. The opponents may see Afghan policewomen as heretics. And you know what Muslim extremists do to the heretics...

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:13

Women police officers are essential. That is true. Just as women doctors are essential in Afghan society, perhaps even more so. But a war zone is no place for a woman to be doing frontline jobs. It's as simple as that. It all depends on how exposed they are to the violence. Hundreds of police officers are killed in Afghanistan each month, so the same parameters don't apply as for Western society. Women doctors in Afghanistan would be completely rational at this stage, police officers are simply acceptable targets of the Taliban.

And no, I'm not getting into a p-ing contest over this. Those are my thoughts, and reasons. I'm not too bothered about scoring brownie points over this. G'nite.

I disagree with you completely! There are numerous fine examples of women performing the same front line tasks as efficiently as men. In WWII Yugoslavia for example Tito's Partisans included female fights as well, who were as capable of carrying a gun, and perfoming tasks just as their male counterparts. Russia had a whole group of female snipers...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:15
Originally posted by pekau

No arguements from here. I am slightly worried about their security. The opponents may see Afghan policewomen as heretics. And you know what Muslim extremists do to the heretics...

What do muslim extremists do to heretics? Same as any other fundametalists did? You make it seem like they are the only ones that see sectionalism as a evil. I could count many Christian groups that do not take too kindly to other Christian sects. A whole culture was erradicated by a papal crusade due to this...

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:26

I disagree with you completely! There are numerous fine examples of women performing the same front line tasks as efficiently as men. In WWII Yugoslavia for example Tito's Partisans included female fights as well, who were as capable of carrying a gun, and perfoming tasks just as their male counterparts. Russia had a whole group of female snipers...

The police force in Afghanistan is a frontline institution in the war, at least one that is targetted as one. We're not talking about just some sniper units either (which incidentally is a different situation to being in the frontline - not interested in the discussion of it).  Why don't you google up "Taliban, police, killed", you'll come up with hundreds of hits for massacres of police. If you think women should be involved in frontline activities in a war, then feel free to say what you believe in, and we'll agree to disagree.  

G'nite finally, over & out

Edited by TeldeInduz - 11-May-2007 at 00:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:35

The police force in Afghanistan is a frontline institution in the war, at least one that is targetted as one. We're not talking about just some sniper units either (which incidentally is a different situation to being in the frontline - not interested in the discussion of it).  Why don't you google up "Taliban, police, killed", you'll come up with hundreds of hits for massacres of police. If you think women should be involved in frontline activities in a war, then feel free to say what you believe in, and we'll agree to disagree.  

G'nite finally, over & out

Female fighters in WWII were front-line fighters as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>