Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Demand for Women to join Afghan police

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demand for Women to join Afghan police
    Posted: 15-May-2007 at 09:17
Originally posted by New User

I think that women should be allowed to at least try the tests to get into the infantry, if they pass they get in if they don't, just like a man who failed, they would be denied the right to fight in the infantry.

There are not many women who would pass but it would be interesting to see over the years if any women would. There have been small scale tests of this but I reckon until we let a realistic amount of women over a sensible period of time, try this test out we will never know if they are  capable or not.

TeldeInduz women are not banned from fighting on the front line in case they got killed, its because on the whole women cannot carry the weight and run the miles needed for infantry duty.

The Canadians tried that since 1980, and to date 1 women has passed. Add to that, the fact that having a mixed group creates its own problems, which while in other arms can be dealt with since you have a fairly high proportaion of women, but since only a handlful would even qualify, making those adjustments would be counter productive to deal with such a small amount.

As it is I think many women don't even fulfill the physical requirements of applying, US Army minimum height is 5'7 IIRC, which is on the tall side for the ladies.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 09:33
hm, 5'7 is not that tall at all... well, over here anyway.

I agree, standards are standards, and women who want to get in will have to meet the standards. But this was about the Police force, not the army. And there are plenty of women in policeforces all over the world, including the riot police and special forces. The standards on police are lower than the army, and it is quite possible for women to meet them. There is no reason for banning women from the police based on nothing more than their gender.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 15-May-2007 at 09:35

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123