Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women's High Rank in Achaemenid Era

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women's High Rank in Achaemenid Era
    Posted: 17-May-2007 at 10:12

IRAN,SHIRAZ, May 16-- The study of more than 300 muddy slates showed that Iranian females had a special position in Hakhamaneshi period.
Iran's Cultural Heritage Organization expert said that according to the existing documents, some male workers used to work under females' supervision.
Women and men had equal salaries and even in some matters like pregnancy, females were getting more.
The women were gifted with 12 gold coins after giving birth and writing on one of the slates indicating that a woman got double salary for delivering twins," the expert said.
Remarking women's high position in Iran's ancient society, Iranian official at Persepolis heritage, Mr. Mohammadi said that taking care of women's right in that period is considerable.
The Persepolis historical complex walls were decorated by men and "Respecting women's high personality, they didn't apply female's figures for decorating. The walls of Persepolis are mostly embellished by men, plants and animals".
"The only portrait of the females that exists on Persepolis external walls is a woman who has sat on a kingship cart, which shows the woman as the main axis of the life circle," he added.
According to Mohammadi, comparing Hakhamaneshi era with its contemporary civilizations like Egypt and Greece, we will see so many differences. In these civilizations' architecture women pictures were used as external decorations, while women in Hakhamaneshi culture has dignity and are graceful, so there was no instrumental use of women in this period.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 10:40
Thank you and welcome to the women's forum, CS. Yes, I've read that in many cultures, women played a more prominent and equal role in society with many more rights than afforded today. Any idea as to what occurred which changed women's status so negatively? Did this change occur gradually or was there any one significant event which caused such a dramatic change?

Edited by morticia - 17-May-2007 at 10:43
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 12:56

If you mean "in Islamic countries" then the answer is simply "Islam", as you know during the life of the Prophet Muhammad, two women ruled the vast Persian empire whenas the Prophet says:

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because God has given the one more than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in absence, what God would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, & beat them." (Quran: Al Nisa 4 - 34)

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 18:32
May I repeat my "tantum potuit religio ..." comment?

Actually, AFAIK the Abramitic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) seems to be among the most  anti-feminist of the globe, as well as the most anti-gay, patriarchal, etc.

Possibly a character developed because of their origin in desertic countries, where a rigid, absolutist and semi-militaristic family structure, with an absolute ruler was necessary for survival?
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:56
AHA! So "religion" has been the root of all evil bestowed upon women! No wonder I am devout to NONE OF THEM!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 14:03
And some maggot makes a movie like 300. What an ignoramus.

Originally posted by Serge L

May I repeat my "tantum potuit religio ..." comment?

Actually, AFAIK the Abramitic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) seems to be among the most  anti-feminist of the globe, as well as the most anti-gay, patriarchal, etc.

Possibly a character developed because of their origin in desertic countries, where a rigid, absolutist and semi-militaristic family structure, with an absolute ruler was necessary for survival?

I think you have a point in that they are share the same geographic origin, but I don't think sexism has anything to do with the harsh desert environment for the Iranians have their origins in equally harsh nomadic central asia.  I believe it is just the way that societies develop and is not dependent on any one factor.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 13:00
Not even most of the Christian live in deserts, nowadays, but my idea is that some rules, coming from some more or less rationale need, are then explained as God-given, and therefore believed universally applicable, even when they do not fit with new times, climates, societies, etc.

A common problem with religions (I am an atheist too, Morticia).

As to Iran, I believe at least part of it have a decent climate, haven't them?
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:37
Originally posted by morticia

Any idea as to what occurred which changed women's status so negatively? Did this change occur gradually or was there any one significant event which caused such a dramatic change?
Capitalism!  
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:48
And I think it also stems from a more militaristic society where it was perceived that men could fight and lead their armies much better than women.

We all know that there are many examples where women have fought wars and led armies - but it was the perception that men could do it better.  And most societies did develop strong militaristic cultures.
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 11:05
The reason I say that capitalism is the cause of the decline in the status of women (and children, too) is as follows. In a pre-money economy, everybody in the household contributes to the family as an economic unit of production according to their abilities. With the rise of capitalism, the family becomes no longer a unit of production (the family farm, the family business, etc.) to which everybody could contribute but rather merely a unit of consumption. Rather than having people (whole families) working for themselves on the family farm or in the family business, work becomes a place where the adult male head of household goes to in order to work for someone else. In this context, the adult male head of household becomes the only one whose economic contribution is acknowledged in monetary compensation. Such economic contributions as the wife and children make are no longer acknowledged and their status is lessened as they come to be seen as mere dependents of the adult male head of household.     
Ted Heiks
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 15:55
I don't know, Heikstheo, that seems more a description of society in modern times, than one that could have worked during pre-history or ancient history, where did not go to the factory or he office and received a salary, but  obtaining the means of survival hunting, cultivating the land, etc.
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by Serge L

I don't know, Heikstheo, that seems more a description of society in modern times, than one that could have worked during pre-history or ancient history, where did not go to the factory or he office and received a salary, but  obtaining the means of survival hunting, cultivating the land, etc.
Women more equality in the European Middle Ages than they now do, and that equality seems to have been based on their utility on the family farm. However, with the rise of a money economy in early modern times, the perception of women's and children's usefulness declined as the man's economic usefulness to the family unit was expressed in cash, while the women's and children's economic usefulness within the family unit was not recognized in cash.  
Ted Heiks
 Post Reply Post Reply