Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaka Zulu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
miki015 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote miki015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaka Zulu
    Posted: 20-May-2007 at 04:13
Hi,peopleSmile...Somebody knows something about the great warrior of African plains,the Shaka Zulu?Thanks
Sa verom u Boga
za Kralja i Otadzbinu
Miki
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 03:52
Could you perhaps be a bit more specific? What exactly about him do you want to know? His personal background? Politics? Military tactics and achievements? Wiki or google will help you alot and I'm not in a mood to start repeating what you'll find on there.

In a nutshell however, he was responsible for uniting the Zulu people, mostly through military conquest, he was responsible for creating the short stabbing spear (assegai) from the longer version that preceded it and he was responsible for organising the impi reginments in effective military units.

PS. He was from an area known today as KwaZulu-Natal, so its more the great warrior from the African hills, than plains.
west49ur View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote west49ur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 02:09
Hey, I am also lookin for information on the Zulu people, but i am in need of a thesis statement for the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879. I just need a few suggestions and it can be pro zulu or britain, anything is appreciated. thanks
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 10:33
As far as I can remember the Zulus originally came (more properly driven out) of Zimbabwe. Moved south and established themselves in the current homeland.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 00:26
Originally posted by west49ur

Hey, I am also lookin for information on the Zulu people, but i am in need of a thesis statement for the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879. I just need a few suggestions and it can be pro zulu or britain, anything is appreciated. thanks

One link and one book recommendation. This one link has a whole lot of books on offer:

I do recommend the book: "The Washing of the Spears: The rise and fall of the Zulu Nation" If you can afford it or can find some one with a copy, i encourage anyone too read it.

Also, i am bit of a sucker for this movie, but i believe it is called "Zulu" starring Michael Caine. There was also a mini-series televised in the US back in the mid 80's, which... IIRC, i thought was pretty good. I believe the title was simply: "Shaka Zulu"

Someone already mentioned googling or searching for the information on the net. I would advise anyone interested in any historical topics too for the information themseleves. The wealth of information would surprise you!
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by Panther

[
I do recommend the book: "The Washing of the Spears: The rise and fall of the Zulu Nation" If you can afford it or can find some one with a copy, i encourage anyone too read it.

Also, i am bit of a sucker for this movie, but i believe it is called "Zulu" starring Michael Caine. There was also a mini-series televised in the US back in the mid 80's, which... IIRC, i thought was pretty good. I believe the title was simply: "Shaka Zulu"

I own The Washing of the Spears its an excellent book. I also own Zulu War by Ian Knight which is ok with the two having different views on some points. I always like multiple opinions and ideas when researching though. If you can't afford them go to one of the large book stores where they have chairs for you to sit and read. I use to do this a lot before I moved to a bigger city with huge libraries. In regards to Shaka their seems to be more myths then facts as not a lot is truely known about him other then he existed and was a powerful leader that created very large Zulu empire(probably not correct word). He was Africa's version of a European colonizer as he took a lot of the neighboring tribes around him.

Zulu was a horribly flawed Hollywood movie with so many fallacies it made my eyes water. Zulu Dawn is more accurate, though like most movies, not fully true. I did also watch the Shaka Zulu mini series with edward fox i believe. Its based off a book and entertaining but is heavily based on white man myths of the Zulus being brutal savages and does no justice to Shaka or history.  Though recommending any movie/T.V. for academic sources is kind of Taboo in most cases.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 20:30
Originally posted by Gundamor

Zulu was a horribly flawed Hollywood movie with so many fallacies it made my eyes water. Zulu Dawn is more accurate, though like most movies, not fully true. I did also watch the Shaka Zulu mini series with edward fox i believe. Its based off a book and entertaining but is heavily based on white man myths of the Zulus being brutal savages and does no justice to Shaka or history.  Though recommending any movie/T.V. for academic sources is kind of Taboo in most cases.

My first encounter with the history of the British-Zulu war was way back in the very ealry eighties, when i was probably not even ten yet. The movie "Zulu" may leave alot too be desired for most other people interested in history, but for me it holds the sentimental value of opening my eyes to history beyond the shores of the US! Regretfully, i had the movie "Zulu Dawn", but stupidly let it  slide right through my fingers.

The mini-series "Shaka Zulu" was indeed entertaining, but left the opposite impression on me. Yes, it is mostly accounts of white traders who dealt with him. Yet, i certainly don't see why their views should be held against them and nullified because they were white, anymore then the Zulu view should be discarded because they happen to be black? They way i see it, both have equal importance of laying down just another recorded moment in history when two world's had collided, with disasterous consequences for all involved!

I do agree with your last sentence to a certain degree. What seems to make movies a pitifully taboo subject, most especially current movies, is the way the politics of those behind the actual productions, seems to always creeps in and corrupt the actual history behind the events. For the more knowledgeable, it's either cringe or simply ignore it altogether! However, for the uninitiated amatuer historian, they can serve as a nice introduction to a subject they had no prior knowledge of. See my reason for that thought in my opening paragraph above.

Best regards to you,
Panther

Edited by Panther - 26-Mar-2008 at 20:32
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 23:13
Originally posted by miki015

Hi,peopleSmile...Somebody knows something about the great warrior of African plains,the Shaka Zulu?Thanks

This is a start , who gives you names on writers and places.

And the main link , so you can search for Zulu origins.

west49ur View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote west49ur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2008 at 00:45

Hey I recently did a History Paper on the Battle of Isandlwana which involved the Zulu empire and the British Empire. and in reply to Eondt, Shaka introduced the Iklwa, a short stabbing spear, the assegai was a long spear. If you are just lookin for some breif knowledge on Shaka or the Zulu people or the Zulu war of 1879, i reccomend checking out the book The Washing of the Spears: The Rise and Fall of the Zulu nation

Also Websites like http://zululand.kzn.org.za/zululand/about/

Ask for specifics about Shaka when your asking the question
 Post Reply Post Reply