Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The anti-rape condom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The anti-rape condom
    Posted: 21-May-2007 at 16:01
The Rapex (otherwise known as the anti-rape female condom) was invented by a woman, Sonette Ehler (who has worked with rape victims for over 20 years), and a prototype was launched in 2005 at Kleinmond, Cape Province, South Africa. It was invented to protect victims of rape, which is so prevalent in South Africa. This device is worn by the female and is undetected. It has microscopic barbs which hooks onto the attackers penis to disable him and enable the victim to escape. Once bitten by the device, the attacker must seek professional medical help in order to remove the device, as it cannot be cut or pulled off. Its based on the design of a conventional condom, but the latex cannot be removed and the hooks are embedded under the skin, so medical assistance is necessary. Ouch! Some call it a barbaric and vindictive method, I call it the you got whats coming to you method.

Source:    http://www.rapestop.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-rape_female_condom
http://www.nuts4chic.com/2006/nuts4life/Rapex/Rapex.htm

Here's what it looks like:
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 17:06
 Maybe a masochist rapist would find the experience pleasurable.LOL

Edited by Scorpian - 21-May-2007 at 17:07
Scorpian
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 20:32
OMG! I'm impressed by the ingenuity, I'm recoiling from the imagined pain, I'm laughing because of the irony.

What a novelty.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 22:03
It really is a smart idea, but what if the enraged rapist tries to kill the woman before she tries to escape?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 00:48
A Pistol perhaps?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 04:24
Looks uncomfy actually... But then again, being raped is probably a lot more uncomfy... No mercy for the rapists! You said it Morty, they reap what they sow!

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 04:32
Kinda superflous really. I repeat a pistol will be so much more effective. Cause if they guy has gotten to that point already, then .........
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 04:51
But the advantage of this is that it helps punishing the rapist without turning innocent women into murderers.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 07:45
what if its used as a cruel joke by a demented ex LOL
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:07
I don't know, if I had to walk around with a device up my ass because I was afraid of rapists, that'd be a half-victory at best.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:23

RAPE STATISTICS

In South Africa rape is currently defined as "the unlawful and intentional sexual intercourse with a female without her consent". Even with this very limited definition (which is in the process of being changed), research shows that 147 women are being raped on a daily basis in South Africa.

Myths and stereotypes still dominate views on rape in South Africa and police and other key role players in the criminal justice system often treat reported rapes with skepticism. As a result, RCCTT firmly believes that many survivors do not report their cases because of the fear of disbelief, the stigma attached to the crime of rape, and the fear of intimidation by perpetrator(s). This leaves a large number of survivors with no access to justice or future safety. And, even if the survivor chooses to proceed through the system - knowing there is only a seven percent conviction rate, she is likely to be subjected to severe secondary victimization by the system itself.

Cape Town is still one of the most violent cities in the country where women and children are not safe within public space or their own homes. There are a number factors that feed this epidemic, and these factors need to be highlighted and challenges to decrease the number of rapes in the Western Cape and the country as a whole:

South African society's response to rape is far from consistent, betraying a deep ambivalence on the subject. One set of responses expresses outrage, shock, horror and condemnation- while another set uncritically takes the side of the accused. This group claims that women provoke rape through their behaviour and dress, or, alternatively, by making false accusations against men. This kind of thinking is part of the problem as it enhances the misleading myths and stereotypes around rape. 

(my bold)

That device was made for South Africa. These women need it. It has nothing to do with victory.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:26
A little more, for illustration of the problem:

MYTHS ABOUT RAPE

Most of us believe things about rape that just aren't true. These are myths. It is important that we expose the myths that we carry regarding rape.

These myths have the effect of:
  • Increasing the trauma experienced by the rape survivor.
  • Slowing down or preventing her recovery.
  • Discouraging survivors from telling anybody about the incident or reporting it.
  • Providing rapist's defence lawyers with the means to assist the offenders in escaping liability for the crime, or reducing the penalties they are given.
  • Allowing us to minimise the effect of the rape on the survivor.
  • Making the survivor take responsibility for the rape instead of the rapist.
  • Denying the survivor the support and assistance that she needs to heal from the experience of being raped.

The myths:

• A healthy woman can resist a rapist if she really wants to.
  • If a woman goes home with a man it means that she wants to have sex.
  • Women who walk around in revealing clothing are asking to be raped.
  • Women who get raped are promiscuous.
  • If a woman engages in kissing and petting and lets it get out of hand, it is her own fault if her partner forces sex on her.
  • No means Yes.
  • A woman causes her own rape by going into unsafe situations such as bars and bad neighborhoods.
  • Women like men to be pushy and forceful.
  • A "real man" pushes even when his partner says no.
  • An aroused man cannot control himself.
  • A woman who leads a man on deserves what she gets.
  • If a couple have had sex willingly, forced intercourse later is not rape.
  • Men rape for sex..

If you are trying to help a woman who has been raped, it is important for you to think about whether you believe any of these myths. Most of us are brought up to believe these things.

In order to really understand what the woman is going through, however you need to recognise that you may have false beliefs. Once you have done this it will be easier to understand what your friend / daughter / wife / girlfriend is going through.

Remember, rape is not the woman's fault, but the rapist's. Don't blame her, BLAME THE RAPIST.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.za/myths-about-rape.asp

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-May-2007 at 08:26

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:47
Originally posted by Rape Report

In South Africa rape is currently defined as "the unlawful and intentional sexual intercourse with a female without her consent"

That's a bit disturbing, what about males who are penetrated without giving consent?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 08:49
Well, I suppose they can use that anti-rape condom too... Smile

But the article did say the law was being changed, so perhaps the new one wil include men as well. I think the lack of proper legislation is one of the problems that site wants to make clear.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-May-2007 at 09:00

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 09:02
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, I suppose they can use that anti-rape condom too... Smile

Oh please, be practical! LOL

The fact that male rape is not even recognised in law leads me to believe that even if it were, South African men would be unlikely to press charges due to social humiliation.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 11:38

But the advantage of this is that it helps punishing the rapist without turning innocent women into murderers.

In my mind they are not murderes, such animals that decide to rape should die.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 13:21
Well I have worked with rapists and their victims. So heres my take on the "myths"

• A healthy woman can resist a rapist if she really wants to.

Its  true that a man who really wants to rape a woman will get his way due to his strength. However someone who gives a real fight can chase off all but the most determined rapist and probably raise alarm while shes at it. Resisting is a good idea, contary to popular opinion.

• If a woman goes home with a man it means that she wants to have sex.

Obviously not. However she is not being smart IMO.

• Women who walk around in revealing clothing are asking to be raped.

Again true. A farcical idea to say the least.

• Women who get raped are promiscuous.

Well the largest group that gets raped are prostitutes. Definatly a germ of truth to that one.  Also many rapes or attempted rapes are the result of miscommunication or where consent was given then withrawn, but intercourse was persisted with.

• If a woman engages in kissing and petting and lets it get out of hand, it is her own fault if her partner forces sex on her.

Its both their faults, He is a criminal and she is an idiot. As said above, in many cases their are conflicting signals or there is either drugs or alcohol involved (which lowers inhibitions) or consent is given or not fully given. Big mess.

• No means Yes.

No means no.

• A woman causes her own rape by going into unsafe situations such as bars and bad neighborhoods.

She dose not help herself. Like a black man in a Ku Klix Klan convention. Not smart at all.

• Women like men to be pushy and forceful.

The ladies can answer that one better than me.

• A "real man" pushes even when his partner says no.

I would never, that all I can say.

• An aroused man cannot control himself.

In most cases it is not an aroused man, but a man with an oppurtunity who can't control himself.

• A woman who leads a man on deserves what she gets.

Again, the mixed signals thing, ("I really though she was consenting") raises its ugly head. If a man truly beleives the woman was consenting then, under the law he is not guilty. She dose not deserve to be raped obviously. But a difficult situation.

• If a couple have had sex willingly, forced intercourse later is not rape.

Makes it damn near impossible to prove that it was rape though.

• Men rape for sex..

Actually, yes they do. You have the odd sadist who dose it for power, but most rapes are either domestic affairs gone worng, or crimes of opportunity such as where there is a burgalar or kidnapper who takes advantage of his victim.

Edited by Sparten - 22-May-2007 at 13:23
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 14:44

Looks uncomfy actually... But then again, being raped is probably a lot more uncomfy... No mercy for the rapists! You said it Morty, they reap what they sow!

Aelfgifu, the photo depicts an enlarged prototype. The actual device is much smaller (made of latex) and will probably fit securely like a tampon or diaphragm, except this one has "teeth" that bite the perpetrator...like a locking bear-trap! I think it's a great way to keep unwanted intruders away from a woman's vagina! Maybe women wearing said device should wear a little warning tag stating, "Beware,wearing a Rapex"!

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 14:47
Originally posted by Reginmund

I don't know, if I had to walk around with a device up my ass because I was afraid of rapists, that'd be a half-victory at best.

I'd say that the device is probably better than a gerbil!
"Morty

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 04:10
Originally posted by es_bih

In my mind they are not murderes, such animals that decide to rape should die.

It is not the rapist I am worried about. It is the women. Being raped is bad enough, they should not also have to deal with having killed a person. Murder comes a lot less easy to women you know.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>