Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean - Turkic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean - Turkic
    Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 03:19
Hulegu Han. I didn't want to link Korean to Turkic. I can write the list for Korean & Mongolian right away, if you really need this. All I wanted to state was that there are lots of common words between all Altaic languages and Korean (and also with Japanese). These are not loan words as most of the cases, you see, are common in stems and not whole combinations (which are stems+suffixes). The reason I chose Korean & Turkic was that most of the people in Central Asian section are Turkica and Turkish. 

By the way, I've seen lots of Mongols who claim Turks were a Mongolian tribe. And Chengiz Khan believed Mongols should rule the world. So, may I conclude that you're a racist? Or stuff?

Edited by gok_toruk - 12-Sep-2007 at 03:20
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 18:25
First of all, the Turkish people was really a conglomerate of ethnic groups united by a language.

"The Turks were so to say a multi-ethnic tribal cluster who were united with the bonds of language."

While today they are recognized as a distinct ethnic group, it remains that their origins are multi-ethnic (Turkic, Mongoloid, Caucasian, Tibeten, Persian)

So making a connection of Turkish language with that of Korean and Japanese languages is entirely feasible and not ethno-centric in ANY way. It is lingual-centric if anything to hope for such a connection with or influence on Korean culture.

But back on topic, how long does everyone think one would have to go back to discover the origin of Korean culture, and why do you think that the Korean language is so different then any other language to begin with? Please include reputable sources if you can. I think I may do some research at the carlson, and I'll try to post something interesting soon.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Intranetusa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Intranetusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 00:05
Look up the Out of Africa migration chart and you'll see that East Asians (China, Korea, Japan, Mongolia, and Northern Vietnam) are composed of the same group of Mongoloids. SE Asians are refered to as Austronesian because of their Austronesian proto Indian-Dravidian roots. (Of course, many are mixed in with East Asian colonists.)

Edited by Intranetusa - 13-Sep-2007 at 00:06
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 00:14
Austronesian people are believed to originate in Taiwan or south-eastern region of China adjastent to Taiwan. They have nothing to do with "Proto- Indian Dravidians."

Edited by Sarmat12 - 13-Sep-2007 at 00:15
Σαυρομάτης
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Intranetusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Hulegu Han. I didn't want to link Korean to Turkic. I can write the list for Korean & Mongolian right away, if you really need this. All I wanted to state was that there are lots of common words between all Altaic languages and Korean (and also with Japanese). These are not loan words as most of the cases, you see, are common in stems and not whole combinations (which are stems+suffixes). The reason I chose Korean & Turkic was that most of the people in Central Asian section are Turkica and Turkish. 

By the way, I've seen lots of Mongols who claim Turks were a Mongolian tribe. And Chengiz Khan believed Mongols should rule the world. So, may I conclude that you're a racist? Or stuff?

Turkics are a nomadic group originating in Central Asia. Groups in the area and peoples such as the Mongols are racially Mongoloids. They conquered west ward, and mixed in with the native populace in western Asia.

However, language wise, Korean and Japanese are not Turkic languages. Turkic languages are isolated to Central and Western Asia. Turkic languages and Korean may share some words in common, but so does Japanese and Mandarin, and which is a Sino-Tibetan language.

Also ethnically speaking, most Japanese, most Chinese, and most Koreans are ethnically and racially related (Mongoloids), whereas Western Asians who speak the Turkic languages are mixed Eurasians between Caucasoids and Mongoloids.

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Austronesian people are believed to originate in Taiwan or south-eastern region of China adjastent to Taiwan. They have nothing to do with "Proto- Indian Dravidians."

Yes, you are right that Taiwan is one of the homelands of Austronesian language families. I meant to say Australoid/Australasian people, not Austronesian. Dravidians and South East Asians belong to the Australoid people classification.

Edited by Intranetusa - 16-Sep-2007 at 00:18
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 09:57
Originally posted by Hulegu Han

bullsh*t!!! Turks always have explanation to link them to other best ones in order to show them that they are superior to any other races. I have met many Turks, some were even historians, who claimed that Chinggis Khan had been turk or Japanese are Gok Turks who settled in what is know Japan after making ships and sailing. Just like above some people trying to claim Koreans to be Turks without any prove.  

Do you have any problem with turks? Your every message is full with agression. I think we are not that far together.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 11:17
Originally posted by Intranetusa

However, language wise, Korean and Japanese are not Turkic languages. Turkic languages are isolated to Central and Western Asia. Turkic languages and Korean may share some words in common, but so does Japanese and Mandarin, and which is a Sino-Tibetan language.

Also ethnically speaking, most Japanese, most Chinese, and most Koreans are ethnically and racially related (Mongoloids), whereas Western Asians who speak the Turkic languages are mixed Eurasians between Caucasoids and Mongoloids.

Of course Japanese and Korean are not Turkic languages. But again their general structure is most similar to Altaic languages, to which Mongolian and Turkic languages also belong.

Of course, most of the vocabularly of Korean, Japanese and even some other languages, like for example Vietnamese, are borrowings from Chinese.

But in order to evaluate the language as a whole, besides the vocabularly, one should also look at grammar and other aspects of it.

So, the  grammar of Korean and Japanese languages most closely resemble the grammar of Altaic languages. At the same time the grammar of Korean and Japanese is absolutely different from the Chinese one.

That's why one definetely can talk about the possible similarities between Korean-Turkic and/or Japanese-Turkic.

Racial characteristics do not always correlate with the langage spoken by particular people, e.g. most of the African nations speak English or French as their national/native language.

Yes, you are right that Taiwan is one of the homelands of Austronesian language families. I meant to say Australoid/Australasian people, not Austronesian. Dravidians and South East Asians belong to the Australoid people classification.

You are confusing different language families. Dravidian and Austroasiatic languages are not related. At the same time some scientists believe in the
relation between Austronesian and Austroasiatic languages' families. It doesn't have sufficient proof, however. 
Σαυρομάτης
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 12:00
I never wanted to link Koran or Japanese to Turkic. All I mean is that they belong to Altaic languages, that's it; just like Turkic, Monogolian and Tungus-Manchu.

By the way, Intranetusa, I wasn't talking about loanwords. Korean has loan words from Chinese; but Korean and Turkic did not interact with each other; so these are not loan words.

Edited by gok_toruk - 16-Sep-2007 at 12:03
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Intranetusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 15:28

Of course Japanese and Korean are not Turkic languages. But again their general structure is most similar to Altaic languages, to which Mongolian and Turkic languages also belong.

But in order to evaluate the language as a whole, besides the vocabularly, one should also look at grammar and other aspects of it.

So, the  grammar of Korean and Japanese languages most closely resemble the grammar of Altaic languages. At the same time the grammar of Korean and Japanese is absolutely different from the Chinese one.

That's why one definetely can talk about the possible similarities between Korean-Turkic and/or Japanese-Turkic.

Racial characteristics do not always correlate with the langage spoken by particular people, e.g. most of the African nations speak English or French as their national/native language.

Japanese/Korean are not Altaic languages though. They probably were influenced by Altaic languages, just like they were by Sino-Tibetan, but overall Korean and Japanese languages are still independent languages.

Also, Turkic does not mean Turk/people from Turkey. Turks are mixed Eurasian and Semetic/Arab people.

"Most of the African nations speak English or French as their national/native language."

That's because Africa was conquered by Europe. Just like Central Asia and Western Asia was conquered by the Mongols and Huns and settled by Nomads.

You are confusing different language families. Dravidian and Austroasiatic languages are not related. At the same time some scientists believe in the
relation between Austronesian and Austroasiatic languages' families. It doesn't have sufficient proof, however.

You're making the same mistake I did. I'm talking about the Australoid racial group, not the Austronesian language group. Australasian/Australoid is a racial group, and nothing to do with Austronesian language group.

Edited by Intranetusa - 16-Sep-2007 at 15:33
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 17:18
You seemed to try to link the use of particular languages to the ethnic/racial types in your previous post

It seems, that based on this you are trying to say that since a lof of Turkic speakers from west asia are not mongoloids, then it's also unlikely that their language could relate to the languages of Japanese and Koreans, who are mongoloids. And since the speakers of Sino-Tibetian languages are mongoloids then, they might be more closer to Japanese and Koreans.

I have simply shown you that racial and linguistic features do not correlate very often.

Although Turks and Koreans are not racially the same peole, their languages nevertheless are very likely to be related.

Like with the example with Africa. Nigerians speak English which is a Germanic language and, thus, it is closely related to, let's say, German, at the same time Nigerians, are racially totally not identical with Germans.

But French people, who are racially very close to Germans speak the language which is much far from the language of the Germans compare to the language of Nigerians.

This simply shows that the sentence you wrote about the racial differences or Turks and Koreans, can't actually prove anything for this topic.

Besides, there is indeed a theory that Korean and Japanese DO BELONG TO ALTAIC LANGUAGES FAMILY. It's totally a scientific theory, advocated by some serious researches.

A very basic reference to that is Wiki

So what gok_toruk does is that he is trying to compare Turkic and Korean words in line with this theory, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 16-Sep-2007 at 17:22
Σαυρομάτης
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 08:06
Well, if "Australasian/Australoid is a racial group, and nothing to do with Austronesian language group" (as you stated, Intranetusa), so how come you conclude Korean (or Japanese) is not related to Turkic since they're racially different?

This is like the case for Turkic and Tungus-Manchu( You observe difference in the their physique and appearance; but Turkic and Tungus-Manchu are members of the same language family). Even in Europe, Norwegian and Italian are both Indo-European, yet the speakers are quite different in appearance.

By the way, by "Turks are mixed Eurasian and Semetic/Arab people", did you mean people of Turkey? Or Turkic people? If you mean Turkic people, could you please provide us with the documents proving this?

Edited by gok_toruk - 17-Sep-2007 at 08:09
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 21:15
I think that the Japanese, Koreans, Manchus, and some of the Siberian tribes,( such as the Evenki),are Tungusic peoples. The Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, Uzbeks, Turkmens, Turks, Azeris, many Ciscaucasian tribes of Russia, and some Siberian tribes (such as Yakuts) are Turanian (Turkic) peoples. Some of the Turanian peoples are of mixed Caucasian and Mongolic descent, hence their physical appearance.

Northern Mongoloids seem to have smaller eyes than Southern (Southeast Asian) Mongoloids because they have a more pronounced epicanthic skin fold over their eyes (the eyes aren't really smaller). The epicanthic-fold is genetic, and was evolved over time to protect the eyes from blowing sand and dust in sandstorms, which must have been a feature of their environment.

I think that the Icelanders must be the most genetically pure people. They are all descended from a comparatively small founding population, in an isolated geographic location, with very little immigration over the centuries after the original founding settler population. The country has a small population and they must all be ultimately related to each other.
Windemere
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 22:11
What do you mean by Caucasian tribes of Russia?

People of Northern Caucasus? If yes, there are not so many Turks there.

Those tribes are Balkars, Nogays, Kumyks, there are also some Turkmens living in the Russian Norht Caucasus region, but all of them taking together are relatively small ethnicities.
Σαυρομάτης
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 05:31
What is this talk of 'genetically pure?' What is this a Nazi session or something? We're all related by genetics one does not have to look as far as the genetic diveristy of Africa and the plethora of phyical diversity in Central Asia to see this. Turks are a Central Asiatic people not Caucasian but Asiatic, as a Turk I can say that. Were they related to Mongols and Han peoples? Perhaps but genetically speaking it'll be hard to better understand this with the knowledge we have. How come Ethiopians speak a language much similar to Middle East languages and not African? We don't know all we know is the cultural, phenotypical, and linguistic boundaries.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 00:10
The Turanian (Turkic) peoples of the Ciscaucasus (North Caucasus) do include the Balkars, Nogais, Kumyks, also the Karachay. They are only one of the ethnic components of the Ciscaucasian region, others include the  many Indoaryan peoples and the descendants of Slavic immigrants.

I don't think 'genetically pure' has any Nazi  connotations. It refers to the genetic make-up of a population. However a better term might be 'genetically isolated' or 'genetically similar'. Other populations are 'genetically diverse' with genetic input from many sources.
Windemere
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 01:18
Seems that there are not so many Indoeuropeans at Caucasus. Linguistically speaking those are: Armenians, Osetians, Tats and Talyshs (the former actually do not live in the mountains' area).

Genetically speaking the people of Caucasus' are quite close.
Σαυρομάτης
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 00:41

Japanese/Korean are not Altaic languages though. They probably were influenced by Altaic languages, just like they were by Sino-Tibetan, but overall Korean and Japanese languages are still independent languages.

Their alphabets may not be Latin or something, but grammatically and structurally both Japanese and Korean belongs to Ural-Altaic languages, and the Altaic languages.

Also, Turkic does not mean Turk/people from Turkey. Turks are mixed Eurasian and Semetic/Arab people.

It is true that Turkey is somewhat a melting pot, but your certainly-stated limited classification is definitely wrong.

"Most of the African nations speak English or French as their national/native language."

Not really, not "all" the people in those countries, but many can speak thanks to the colonial cultural erosion.

Edited by Kapikulu - 30-Oct-2007 at 00:41
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ricecake View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ricecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 03:26

Japanese has in deed some characteristics that make it close to the Altaic languages (Turkic, Mongolian, Manchu-Tungusic, Korean), but the Altaic languages don't constitue a genetic language family, as Indo-European for example. Their similarities come from cohabitation and borrowing. It is thus not surprising that Japanese would share some of those similarities if it comes from NE Asia.

Those Korean & Japanese words are identical because they are borrowings of the same word in Chinese

the Ainu are definitely Asians, and more precisely mongoloids ( not Mongolians! ). It is clear from biologic studies.

People from Okinawa and other Ryukyu islands are closer to Jomon people and to Ainu than Mainland Japanese. And they speak "Ryukyuan", a sister language of Japanese.

While the others stayed and evolved into what would become Chinese, Japanese and other NE Asian people.

ricecake View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ricecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 09:36

This book is an official publication,1 page-map has 3 ancient migration arrows from China's Shandong Peninsula ( points to southern formost part of Korea peninsula as final destination ),Mongolia & China's NE region.

by Korean Overseas Culture and Information Service

size: 24.5x17cm 652pages

ricecake View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ricecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 02:29

Racial characteristics do not always correlate with the langage spoken by particular people.

Absolutely accurate,majority modern day northern Han-Chinese have Mongol & Tungusic origins but they speak Mandarin ( Sino-Tibetan language ) NOT ancestral mothern-tongues.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>