Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blunders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which is the biggest military blunder
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [17.24%]
2 [6.90%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.69%]
3 [10.34%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.45%]
5 [17.24%]
6 [20.69%]
1 [3.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blunders
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:13
And that was really good for Polish could show their skills with cavalry regiments in war.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:19
i would not say peral harbor was a sucess

It cetainly was not a big loss. Only about 2000 men and the navy was rebuilt early in the war. It was a political sucess, since Roosevelt wanted it. He tried to get Japan to attack so he could declare war on it and Germany, but knew that the Congress would never approve of it, so he provoked Japan using various methods and it worked.
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:35

Acording to National Geographic's "Mysteries of History", it is said that in the battle of Little Bighorn, Custer's famous "Last Stand" never really happened. In fact, Custer never attack at all. What acutally happened was that the Sioux sneaked towards Custer and slaughtered every last man in his regiment. The US army sure got pissed off!
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Subotei View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Subotei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 04:20

WW2 hmm so many hitler blunders,

1.kursk (effectivley crushed the german army)

2.stalingrad/battle of britain(bombing london and not airfeild)/Dunkirk/battle of kiev(missed oppurunity to take moscow but crushed a large russian force)

pre WW2 number one blunder .prob battle of TU' fortress where half a million ming troops were lead into mongolia by a eunuch and the mongols cut off there supplys and surrounded them...mongols numberd something under 70.000

Get inside the enemys thoughts capitalise on their fears.
Mobius View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 16:50

Definately Pearl Harbour. It was a strategic disaster for the Axis (brought the US fully into the war), it was bad luck (or poor recon) that Japan actually failed to sink any carriers, which was the main purposes of the attack (to cripple the US pacific fleet), and it was sheer stupidity to concentrate on the ships that were there and not attack the refueling station!

Big ships need lots of oil. No oil means big ships don't move very far, which means they are easy pickings for later attacks and / or invasion!

Dunkirk is definately the classic early WW2 missed opportunity. Very likely Britain would have had to sue for peace if they hadn't had the 330,000 troops that were evacuated.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

J.Robert Oppenheimer
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 13:58

The US carriers were not the targets of the Japanese. The American battle ships were. The Japanese had pictures of all the major American battleships because they were the main target, not the carriers.

Japan had built many battleships leading up to the war. they knew carriers would be used, but not in the intensity that they would. They didn't forsee that the US Navy would base everything around them, they thought battleships would be used to a much larger degree. Well, they were wrong. had the American carriers been at Pearl at the time, they would have been hit as everything in the water was pretty much hit. But once again....they were not the target, the battle ships and heavy cruiers were.

All in all....the Japanese did not understand US Navy tactics (this is evident as the Japanese did not win one major naval battle against the US) and really ended up giving the US a reason to enter the war and a reason to come after Japan.

and also....as Mobius mentioned above, Dunkirk was  major blunder by the Axis. Anotehr reason why Hitler was a horrible war-time commander.

Edited by Illuminati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12