Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who in the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctor Who in the USA?
    Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 23:45
I was just wondering if any of my cousins from across the pond have heard of, or know of, the British Sci-Fi cult series - Doctor who! I'm personally a great fan of all 10 Doctors, but I haven't heard of any Americans watching it, or it being on any American Sci-Fi channels...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 23:52
I can't speak for those in the US, but I know that Doctor Who also has a strong cult following down here in Australia - nothing compared to its fan base in the UK of course, though. I have a few friends who are absolute Doctor Who nuts, though I am actually yet to watch it.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 01:22
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

I was just wondering if any of my cousins from across the pond have heard of, or know of, the British Sci-Fi cult series - Doctor who! I'm personally a great fan of all 10 Doctors, but I haven't heard of any Americans watching it, or it being on any American Sci-Fi channels...

Doctor Who, is fairly well known here in the United States, and it's various reruns and shows can be found on the Sci-Fi channel quite often. However I really can't speak for how big it's fan base is as I really don't pay much attention to scienice fiction save for Dune, and some forms of alternate universes/history. 

Edited by Kevin - 25-Dec-2008 at 01:23
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 01:34

Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Doctor Who, is fairly well known here in the United States, and it's various reruns and shows can be found on the Sci-Fi channel quite often. However I really can't speak for how big it's fan base is as I really don't pay much attention to scienice fiction save for Dune, and some forms of alternate universes/history. 

Kevin...you poor, poor deprived child. Doctor who, now.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 02:02
The Doctor is extremely popular among the Canucks but not so much down south, although i have met many Doctor nuts from states who are absolutely crazy about it.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 02:05
Well, I suppose there is, especially in the later series, a lot of very British humour in it, but then again, apparently lots of Americans like British Comedy...
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 14:06
The only problem with Dr. Who in my opinion is the visual effects. Yes they are expensive but there are several TV serieses with much better visual effects than the Doctor, but definitely inferior acting and story to it. 

Al-Jassas
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 22:41
It depends which Doctor you're talking about - the new one, yes, but most of the old series from the 60's to the '80's really were pretty rudimentary in how they made their sets etc.
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 05:38
They play newer episodes of Dr. Who on the Sci-Fi channel here in the US. We also get it on BBC America.

I've seen a few episodes including a some old ones from the 60's. It's pretty cool.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 05:44
My wife watched them in the early 80s. We had to watch a great one where a house plant takes over a house. The special effects were great! (meaning, that they were really crappy, but they were so bad that they actually made the show charming)

I watched that episode about 10 years ago. Maybe I should watch some of it again in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply