Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAims and Purposes of History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aims and Purposes of History
    Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 20:06
In my first comment I agreed with your observation about the weaker impulse, but said our concern was with the merits of that happening, not the fact of it. That is addressing a specific point. You didn't address it in return.

In my next comment I specifically answered the question you asked me. I told you which histories (as a general principle) I would follow: my own subjectivisation. That is addressing a specific point. You didn't address it in return.

I then posed a question in return - why call it 'post-modern'? It's legitimate enough to pose a return question after answering the first one. You didn't address my question. I added a comment about the use of the term 'post-modern' in art, which seems to me to be a more reasonable approach. You were perfectly entitled to consider that irrelevant and to say so (ir simply to ignore it - unlike you I don't expect other people simply to address the points I raise). It certainly isn't any kind of trolling.

I then asserted that in my view "all you are saying is that the longer ago things happend, and the less literate the society the less sure we are of what happened", which, paraphrased, is what you did say. If you think otherwise you should have no problem explaining how my assertion is untrue. I was certainly addressing your point in paraphrasing it. However, yet again you didn't respond to my point.

Finally I picked you up for saying "You wouldn't believe how many chronicles are misdated or undated"?" Since that was a direct quote, it was certainly addressing your point.

And again you didn't address it in return. Instead you immediately descended to personal abuse.

I leave it to Parnell to deal with the accusation of 'brown-nosing', since it isn't me it insults.

Edited by gcle2003 - 24-Apr-2009 at 20:13
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 20:13
Graham, you're hallucinating. I haven't asked you anything, I replied to Parnell, all my questions were for him as author of his post. Moreover, despite your claims, your comments did not address my points because apparently you missed them. Quoting doesn't mean understanding.

Whine all you want, you don't deserve my answers. I'm ignoring you as much as I can, hopefully I can make you understand that you shouldn't expect any serious answer from me whenever you approach me like that.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2009 at 20:20
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 20:31

Not me that's hallucinating. Here's what you said to Parnell:

Originally posted by Chilbudios

Originally posted by Parnell

The only one trolling is yourself mate. Why do people get so offended over this??

I'm not offended at all, I simply choose to ignore trolling instead of getting in an endless discussion with this fellow.
Replying to someone and not addressing his points but diverging the discussion is trolling. Participating in a subject with strong opinions, expressed repeatedly, however without having the proper knowledge also leads often to trolling. Since Graham's unthoughtful reply has little to do with my own post which he quoted (I really don't care in this thread about his dilemmas on postmodernism, about terminology, about drama and prose, about art, Warhol, movies, make-up and similarly irrelevant crap), if it's not trolling what is it? Trolling and spam? 

'This fellow' quite obviously referred to me.

You specifically then referred to 'Graham's reply' which, I assume, meant you were talking about my reply since there is no other Graham in sight. That is what you were referring to when you said 'if that isn't trolling, what is'?.

It's actually ridiculous of you to thiink you can just deny what the system preserves in print. You referred to me. You asserted that I was trolling. You called me by name. You said you weren't interested in my points. And now you say you weren't referring to me at all.

Don't be silly.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 20:35
Alzheimer?

Originally posted by gcle2003

In my next comment I specifically answered the question you asked me.  I told you which histories (as a general principle) I would follow: my own subjectivisation. That is addressing a specific point. You didn't address it in return.

But that question wasn't for you.

Do you want a schema of our little interference? Or you'll whine again that I'm not quoting the context and you lost it?

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2009 at 20:46
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 20:55
So once again you ignore every point where you were wrong, and leap around in glee because you think you caught me out on something at last? It wasn't obvious from your post who you were asking: I read it that the 'you' was generic, aimed at anyone who was reading it. I would have thought anyone else reading it would have read it the same way.

I assume I was wrong, but how do you expect me to mind-read?

More importantly, what about all the other points you're ignoring with all this silly digression?

Or you'll whine again that I'm not quoting the context and you lost it?
What on earth is that about? Is your sole mission in life now to wreak revenge on me for daring to disagree with you here and there?

Edited by gcle2003 - 24-Apr-2009 at 20:58
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 21:17
Disclaimer: the following "you"s are not generic.

How could you know where I am wrong since you don't address what I say (except blatant misunderstandings and outright lies like "And now you say you weren't referring to me at all."). And are you that infantile to see discussions as attempts to "catch" or to "wreak revenge" (or even worse, you have a purpose to always prove others "wrong", it's not the first time I see you ranting about it)?

Why is so hard for you to understand that as long as you don't (try to) understand what I say and you jump at my throat spewing your usual crap, you can't get much from me (unless you like such interactions like this one)? Is really that simple - you want to talk to me, you address my points.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2009 at 21:22
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 21:26

Alzheimer?

And by the way, watch for that brown nose

You are the most vile little snake to ever step foot on AE. And I've sent you a lot worse over a PM. Sincerely, GFY.

Edited by Parnell - 24-Apr-2009 at 21:27
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 21:38
Originally posted by Parnell

You are the most vile little snake to ever step foot on AE. And I've sent you a lot worse over a PM. Sincerely, GFY.
A snake with feet?

If you don't like the brown, perhaps you should change the habits. How about trying to bring some calm in this discussion or say something relevant, on topic? Sounds pinkier, huh?
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 21:54
You should be banned.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2009 at 21:58

It's very simple - report me.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2009 at 00:01
OK guys, I will close this thread but leave 'Historiography' open for you all to discuss on. Feel free to quote/copy-paste content from this thread into the 'Historiography' one if you wish to continue discussion.

Thanks,

- Knights -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12