Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American hypocrisy TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American hypocrisy TV
    Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 20:49

Here in Sweden they show many American (US) movies and TV shows. Often one gets really tired of those, partly because of their censorship of reality on different levels. In most of these shows they can hardly talk five minutes before their words are drowned by a loud “beeep”. On other occasions a big blur covers logos on t-shirts, cars, aeroplanes, houses, signs and other places and things. And of course if someone should happen to show a little to much bare skin then the blur is there again.

One example of this that annoyed me was a show about a Native American people in the Amazon. This people wore very few clothes and because of this a lot of bare skin were visible. In an US show, that was intended for teenagers, they had blurred out the breast regions of the women and also the lower parts of both men and women. Such prudishness is really on the verge of the immoral. These Amazon people are not ashamed of the way they are dressed and they are not ashamed of showing their bodies. But in American TV their natural clothing and their bodies are made into something shameful, something obscene, something that must be hidden from the eyes of the poor American teenagers. Very strange idea and also a sign of the hypocracy and double standards that permeates US TV.

Sometimes though the censors seems to shut their eyes as in the TV show Jackass, where the most strange and grotesque acts are shown in the name of humour. And then they complain that not all TV companies around the world will buy this show, and they are even complaining about censorship.

The world of American TV and it´s standards can sometimes be hard to fathom.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 21:06
Welcome to the 7 Dirty Forbidden Words World; enjoy your stay, and as always please be at your best behavior unless you're eating horse reproductive organs or junping off a cliff with a blanket on top of a moving bike. :). We try not to understand the limitations, just pay fines when they're broken.

I understand your frustrations on a serious note, but unfortunately that outlook is here to stay until market demands change a bit more.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 21:26
I spent last summer in ultra-liberal San Francisco. Found it amazing that classic films (Such as Pulp Fiction) were heavily censored, with most of the swear words removed. I believe that considering how f-cked up the US really is (What with the urban ghetto's, massive crime and murder rates, huge public political illiteracy/apathy etc.) its a bit mental that they get so worked up over a few f**king swear words.

And yes, I included a couple of gratuituous swear words for added effect :)

Edited by Parnell - 10-Jun-2009 at 21:27
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 22:13
A lot of the bleeping of words has to do with when and on what channel a program is aired.  Because of FCC decency guidelines movies like Pulp Fiction will have swear words bleeped out when shown at a time during the day when children are watching (generally until 10pm) after that time the guidelines become looser.  For instance in the show NYPD Blue Denis Franz did a whole scene with his bare bottom out, this was not blurred in any way (and it should have been because nobody should have to look at that man's butt, but that's a personal statement).  Another example would be the use of the word shit on shows like Southpark.  There was one episode of that television show that was based around trying to say shit as many times as possible.  I know that Comedy Central will play movies without any bleeping of swear words starting a 1 am.  Generally these decency guidelines are only imposed on TV (network that is not channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, et al.) in the movies you can pretty much say whatever you want.

In terms of blurring out labels of products like beer cans or beverage containers, this practice has to do with the individual channels and their parent companies not wanting to pay for the rights to show the label.  Houses are sometimes blurred for a number of reasons as are signs and other places.

I generally agree with you about the ridiculous nature of some of the censorship on US TV.  I think if you are watching a program about Native tribes that don't wear much clothing you should see the bear breasts and other sexual areas.  Same goes for movies.  But, let's keep in mind that this country was founded by a bunch of sexually repressed prudes, who thought they were the moral police and that people couldn't be trusted to see certain areas of the body.  And now we have people in power who think that people shouldn't hear words on TV that we all say in real life.  These same people, currently in power, think that one negative letter is equivalent to 10,000 people; the problem with that idea is that most people who write letters to the FCC or other governmental organizations are not writing to congratulate the organization on good programming of events, they are writing to complain.  So until we don't have idiots in power who are saying 1 complaint equals 10,000 complaints, we will still have these idiotic guidelines.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 01:31
Originally posted by Parnell

I spent last summer in ultra-liberal San Francisco. Found it amazing that classic films (Such as Pulp Fiction) were heavily censored, with most of the swear words removed. I believe that considering how f-cked up the US really is (What with the urban ghetto's, massive crime and murder rates, huge public political illiteracy/apathy etc.) its a bit mental that they get so worked up over a few f**king swear words.

On some channels such as comedy central they will air uncensored movies late at night and channels like HBO aren't censored ether.

I feel political correctness is a bigger problem, former television talk show host Don Imus was almost crucified because he called the mostly minority-all female Rutger's University basketball team "nappy headed h*es". 

Edited by Kevin - 11-Jun-2009 at 01:31
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 02:22
When the French-Belgian cartoon "Kirikou and the Sorceress" (and also it´s sequel Kirikou and the Wild Beasts) was due to be shown in the US a debate arose about if the movie could be viewed by an audience of young children (Kirikou is a childrens movie) because it contained some nudity. Michel Ocelot, the director of the movie, got rather upset and wondered if American people where totally obsessed with questions about nudity and sex.

The movie has been shown in theatres and TV in a lot of other countries without these qeustions ever being raised.

Dangerous nudity?

Edited by Carcharodon - 11-Jun-2009 at 02:41
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 04:58
Originally posted by Kevin

Originally posted by Parnell

On some channels such as comedy central they will air uncensored movies late at night and channels like HBO aren't censored ether.

I feel political correctness is a bigger problem, former television talk show host Don Imus was almost crucified because he called the mostly minority-all female Rutger's University basketball team "nappy headed h*es". 

No that's just f**king racist coming from Don Imus - if Nick Diapolo said that I'd laugh.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 06:30
How's it different if Nick Dipaolo said it?  I'm not a fan of Don Imus but he's a shock jock and says a lot of things like that that are meant to be funny but are just plain offensive.  
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 12:59
What worries me more than censoring obscene words or even blurring nudity (which are pretty trivial when you come down to it) is what I gather Hollywood has done to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials to make it palatable to Christians (and monotheists in general I guess).

I accept I haven't seen the film, and am judging from reviews.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 14:18
Originally posted by King John

How's it different if Nick Dipaolo said it? I'm not a fan of Don Imus but he's a shock jock and says a lot of things like that that are meant to be funny but are just plain offensive.

Context matters. Don Imus & Diapolo are worlds away. It isn't about PC - it is about Imus having clear racist undertones. It was only a matter of time for him, like Savage, to lose his spot.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 18:14
Don Imus and Dipaolo are not worlds apart, they both feebly attempt humor and often times are offensive.  The thing is if anybody said what Imus said it would have been taken as racist.  If Nick Dipaolo while speaking about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team said, "That's (sic) some rough girls from Rutgers.  Man, they got tattoos and –" then continued "that's some nappy headed hos.  I'm going to tell you know, man, that's some – whew.  And the girls from Tennessee, they all looked cute, so like – kinda like – I don't know."  You're telling me that Dipaolo wouldn't be racist just funny.  The thing is there will be racist undertones no matter who says it.  I personally don't have an issue with Imus's statement until he used the term nappy headed hos, but again the man's a shock jock and going to say what ever is provocative since that's what gets people to listen to his show.  Honestly, you're going to tell me that if Dipaolo made the exact same statement it would be funny?  The context of the Imus statement was meant to be funny but the statements missed the mark, much like Ted Danson wearing black face at the Oscars years ago when Whoopi Goldberg was still hosting them and dating him.  Danson's actions were meant to be funny but they missed their mark.
 Post Reply Post Reply