Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Greek sound like to a non speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Greek sound like to a non speak
    Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 11:17

And after :

1)

and

2)

all future and in good will , learners of Greek lang. are falling down like flies out of desperation...

Isk..

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 13:23
KaraLOL
CARRY NOTHING
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 13:41

We should learn at schools the original ancient greek writing and not the ancient greek with the byzantine writing.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 14:03

Indeed. Then spelling, intonation, stressing and many other things would be much more obvious. However, it would perplex many, due to the lack of spacing between words. The modern world is accustomed to separating words and sentences, which is in my opinion quite correct, as it gives a clearer visual image to texts and enhances comprehension.

But what is more satisfactory than being able to read the true original?

CARRY NOTHING
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 14:44
That's exactly my point. It would be more interesting and if we want to learn how is the original greek we should study the original way of speaking and writing. But it's very complex for us.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 03:09

Not for me - I had written a whole essay when I was in high-school using the ancient way of writing and even the ancient lettertypes. Teacher was happy and upset at the same time, because her eyes hurt from trying to read what I wrote but she loved the idea.

But she asked me kindly not to do it again, because it took her the whole evening to make out what I had written...

CARRY NOTHING
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 07:48

Really?

That's good! But it's really painful.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 08:55
Oguz

Your answer has been sent by PM. Let's keep it that way, we've done more than enough to screw up this topic.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 09:30

Irrelevant posts deleted. That will be the case from now on, if this doesn't put any sense to some people's minds, then the next step will be a temporary ban.

If you want to post just to insult one another, do it via PM!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 18:14
And while you're at it, exchange some receipes for local cuisine too!
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 04:06

i just dont know.... just a non comprehended voice signal for me... dont understand a bit.. it's complicated... very complicated and same with turkish lang...

How to say 'How are u?' in greek?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 05:09

Originally posted by cahaya

How to say 'How are u?' in greek?

Ti kaneis?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 07:01

In the island of Crete, the same question would sound "Inda kaneis"

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 13:16
Never heard Greek,just know some Greek alphabets from  school mathematics.
Jai Badri Vishal
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 14:50
Originally posted by Alkiviades

In the island of Crete, the same question would sound "Inda kaneis"

Not only in Crete. There are a few islands where "Inda Kaneis" and "Inda ginesai" is quite common.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 01:41
To me it sounds like Spanish. I do not get the chance to meet many Greeks in the USA, but last year when I was in England, there were lots of Greeks on the streets and whenever I heard them speaking I thought they were speaking in Spanish at first and it took me several moments to realize that it was not actually spanish. 
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 11:30
(i mentioned it otherwhere too).
I was in Poland for 2 weeks ,and they though of me as Spanish cause of accent.
A very good friend of mine tells me the same too.

I guess thats because we share the same sounds -same vocals ,and vocals follow regularly consonants(not many consonants together..etc)
But,i think that Spanish sounds more "musical" -(although not as Italians or French )

For me Cypriot dialect sounds exactly like Spanish -i have thought Cypriots as Spanish and vice versa Smile

Edited by Digenis - 20-Aug-2006 at 11:32
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 12:30
I have also mistaken spanish with greek once (-and I'm greek).

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 11:58
Like a barbarian Tongue
theMacedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote theMacedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 11:32
Hahah true u can confuse the two... but i belive that is something that is subconciuse... or should i say our brains are finetuned to belive that that is spanis.. but once u sharpen ur hearing and you pick up the greek words it all falls into place. After that it sounds quite a bit different to spanish... whell to me atleast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>