Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you interfere or just observe if you time-travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would you interfere or just observe if you time-travel
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
7 [36.84%]
4 [21.05%]
5 [26.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you interfere or just observe if you time-travel
    Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 23:06

If you could travel back through time, would you allow yourself to be tempted and interfere on certain occassions?

Do you believe having travelled through time, you would be in a different alternate world/timestream and hence whatever you do has no effect in your original world's history?

Or do you think regardless of whether it is an alternative world, one has no right to interefere?

Or no one should time-travel if they could possibly interfere with history?

Pls share your views.

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:06
Haven't you ever seen the episode of the simpsons where Homer goes back in time? The smallest things f**k up the world, so I wouldn't do anything.
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:16
what if i only went back like 10 hours? would that f**k up the world?
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:20
yes I would change my own history ever so slightly, but no one elses...of course by changing my history I would probably inadvertently change others so then agin is it worth it?
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 05:07

Just an observation..... Everything I do in the present effects the future, but that's normal and ok.

If I travelled back to 1900. 1900 would no-longer be the past it would be the present for me and 2005 the future. So if I did something to effect it....... No problem surely.

Occam's Razor strikes again.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 05:34
Does anybody know that brilliant Futurama episode in which they accidently travel back to 1947? "Oh, a lesson in not changing history from mister I'm-my-own-grandfather. Let's get the hell out of here, screw history!"

If time travel is possible, I don't think it's possible to change history. Just like Paul said, the past has become the present, so it won't change anything. Suppose you'd travel back to your 'own' time afterwards, the time you've changed are another time.

Either time travelling will put you in a copy of the time you've travelled to, allowing you to do whatever you want, or it's impossible.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 06:07

Hate to apply philosophy to this debate twice, but........

Every cell in our bodies changes every few years, phisically we're not the same being. Idea and believe wise we change every few minutes. Experience wise we change every second. We live in a state of flux.

As Hereclitus said. 'It's impossible to stand in the same river twice.'

We couldn't go back in time and meet ourselves, because they wouldn't be what we were now, they would be someone completely different.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 11:31
If I could, I would change history purposefully, just to test if individuals really play a key component in history or not. I would kill Churchill or Roosevelt as young men. If when I came back I see the U.S. flag with swastikas instead of stars, I will say Holy cow! Karl Marxs theory of history is wrong! Then an American SS officer will drag my sorry body to a concentration camp

Mmm. Now that I think about it, I rather kill Stalin or Hitler instead.

Edited by hugoestr
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 11:42
Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

Haven't you ever seen the episode of the simpsons where Homer goes back in time? The smallest things f**k up the world, so I wouldn't do anything.
if u believe in Simpsons, then u shouldn't get in the time machine at all
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 11:59

If I was to go back in history, Iwould want to get the Beylik of Karamanoglu in power, and prevent the Beghlik of Ottoman (Osmanli) to get dominant on other Anatolian Beyliks. Possibly, Karamanoglu Beylii could became a significant world power like Ottomans and conquer stanbul like them. And they would still stay with their Turkish identity, and protect and expand Turkish civilization...

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:25

I would just observe if their was time travel.  I am very glad there is none, because of how screwed up this world would be if there was.  Humans would by instinct want to help the war or battle they were observing.  That one peorson could change the course of the world.

Have any of you seen Back to the Future #2?  Because the people went back, it screwed up their own lives, but of course they had to fix it which they did.

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 05:47
Hell yeah, i'd love to interfeer in key moments in history: just being the weird guy next to the powerful, whispering over their shoulder "You don't wan't to do that...". 
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 11:44
i would start investing in stocks with historical data i brought to the past.
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 14:16
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Hell yeah, i'd love to interfeer in key moments in history: just being the weird guy next to the powerful, whispering over their shoulder "You don't wan't to do that...". 

My thoughts exactly.  I would love to travel back and observe invisibily somehow (but then I'd have to know the lingua franca of the age to be able to understand what is going on).  But of course the temptation is huge to participate and make a few changes here and there.....ah so many possibilities....
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 07:07

I woulg go to the future steal some super- advanced technollogy then time travel back to the point before i left then sell it on the internet.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 08:36
I said yes: I'd change history without scruples - just for the sake of watching the effects. But I actually think that any time travelling is already alteration of the timeframe and would actually change things even if the traveller was as passive as possible.

Would that be a parallel universe or a reviewed one?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 10:54

Everything is interconnected; influencing one thing will in turn lead that thing to influence another, etc, sort of like a domino effect. Even the smallest action was a property that led to a nuclear explosion.

If everything is interconnected does that mean I have committed manslaughter to the guy whose about to get murdered on the other side of the world? oh oh

Edited by Pieinsky
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 16:44
good question, i would perhaps intervene but then we wouldnt know its consequences. For example imagine if we stop a war (such as WWII) by eliminating Hitler. Would the world be better off today?

Or would we end up in a far worse scenario whereas someone like Stalin would then take over europe and asia and we all would live under communism?

Maybe even the alternative would be far worse, where no one learns anything from WWII and super powers would now engage in an alternative WWII full of atomic and hydrogen bombs...
i voted for observation only.

But i would love to go back with a sharp shooter and kill alexander.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 16:50
Alexander who? and why?

Anyway, if I could go back to the past, I would stop the Roman Empire from ever exsisting.

And while trying to do that I will make sure no one will get in my way!!! muahahahaha!

Edited by Ponce de Leon
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 17:08

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Alexander who? and why?

Anyway, if I could go back to the past, I would stop the Roman Empire from ever exsisting.

And while trying to do that I will make sure no one will get in my way!!! muahahahaha!

Alexander of Macedonia...for his attack on Persepolis.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>