Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you get your News from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maximus Germanicus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maximus Germanicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do you get your News from?
    Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 03:38

Just wondering

Myself

Broadcast:

BBC America (I don't like most of the US cable news, because there is too much fluff)

Local news

CNBC/MSNBC Chris Matthews show and Joe Scarborough (only two I watch because of the in-depth political coverage even though CM is way mor liberal than me, at least he has common sense the rest of the channel is way too left)

Online:

Int Herald Trib (NY Times)

Der Spiegel

BBC online

Print:

Wall Street Journal

Finc Times

The Economist

Politics:

Politico

Wash Post

Sport:

ESPN News (I am an addict)

BBC and the Daily Mail for Rugby Union and Soccer

For Fun News talk show

Real time

DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 06:19
The BBC and the Independt
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 06:19
Al Jazira also every now and again
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 07:28

Broadcast:

AlJazeera

PBS Newshour

Online:

BBC online

Mediamatters

Huffington Post

Washington Post

New York Times

Several other websites

Radio:

NPR

For Fun News talk show

The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 01-Jun-2010 at 07:31
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 14:42
Fox News baby!

I sometimes watch MSNBC, CNN, and ABC, CBS, and NBC to see how the "Hate America" and Israel crowd is doing?

And, it seems if we look at the stats, that they are doing poorly!

Yes, I sometimes read my local newspaper, as well as the Times Pycayune, and sometimes even the NY Times,but not often!

I just hate to read hate speech!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 02-Jun-2010 at 14:46
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 15:45
Why do you get your news from a channel that admits it only has 6 hours of news programming (biased news programming at that)?LOL No wonder you're out of the loop on most if not all political issues, try diversifying a bit.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 02-Jun-2010 at 15:54
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 18:01
Dear TGS! Please do not get your panties in a wad? I thought I mentioned that I do let my eyes wonder about the "other side" on occasion!

Watch those panties, young lady!

Sorry, as far as I know you could well be a woman!

Regards, anyway!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 18:20
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear TGS! Please do not get your panties in a wad? I thought I mentioned that I do let my eyes wonder about the "other side" on occasion!

Watch those panties, young lady!

Sorry, as far as I know you could well be a woman!

Regards, anyway!

MSNBC, CNN, and ABC, CBS, and NBC are not the "other side".

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 02-Jun-2010 at 18:53
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 18:44
There goes your panties again! laugh!

Of course they are! One side is "right" as in correct, and the other side is "left" as in "gauche!" From Wikipedia; "In French, gauche generally means "left" or "awkward""

Ok, the rest of the news media are "awkward!", but that is as nice as I can write it!

Regards,
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 18:49
Originally posted by opuslola

There goes your panties again! laugh!

Of course they are! One side is "right" as in correct, and the other side is "left" as in "gauche!" From Wikipedia; "In French, gauche generally means "left" or "awkward""

Ok, the rest of the news media are "awkward!", but that is as nice as I can write it!

Regards,

MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC are not "left". American Media consists of extreme right, Fox "News", and Moderate, which is MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Left media doesnt exist in the United States, except on the internet.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 02-Jun-2010 at 18:53
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 14:50
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Left media doesnt exist in the United States, except on the internet.

Public Television is leftist. Under duress, they even let go one of their news anchors after he confused personal editorials with "news" and refused to give air time to conservative rebutals.

Even their new motto "fair and unbiased reporting" is a joke.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 15:36
Public Television,  NON-PROFIT, is a lot of the times neutral and very reliable precisely because its NON-PROFIT. Those who think its biased tend to be the same ones who watch Fox News and therefore have a skewed idea of the left-right political spectrum.

Most media in in the US ranges from moderate to the extreme right (i.e Fox News).

However, even public television (the News Hour on PBS for example) has a pro-Right bias:

FAIR study

In October 2006, the progressive media criticism group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) accused The NewsHour of lacking balance, diversity, and viewpoints of the general public, in favor of Republican Party and corporate viewpoints.[9] FAIR studied the NewsHour's guest list for 6 months, from October 2005 to March 2006. Republicans outnumbered Democrats 2:1 (66% to 33%), and people of color made up only 15% of U.S.-based sources. Former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales accounted for 30% of Latino sources, while former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accounted for 13% of African-American sources. Additionally, Hurricane Katrina victims made up 46% of all African-American sources. Public interest groups made up 4% of sources. Current and former government and military officials made up 50% of sources. Regarding the Iraq War, sources that supported an extended occupation outnumbered pro-withdrawal sources 5:1, and this ratio continued even after polls favored a withdrawal from Iraq. During this time, not a single peace activist appeared.[9] PBS Ombudsman Michael Getler agreed with FAIR's report. These are "perilous times," wrote Getler in his Ombudsman column. "As a viewer and journalist, I find the program occasionally frustrating; sometimes too polite, too balanced when issues are not really balanced, and too many political and emotion-laden statements pass without factual challenges from the interviewer."[10] FAIR also protested in 1995 when Liberty Media purchased a majority of the program, citing Liberty's majority owner, John Malone, for his "Machiavellian business tactics" and right-wing sentiments.[11]

The closest Liberal "news" shows on TV would probably be the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 03-Jun-2010 at 15:39
warwolf1969 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote warwolf1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 09:55
Generally I get my News from the BBC.  I also read the Times.  Internet news is usually the BBC as well.  For sport I watch which ever channel is broadcasting the sport I'm interested in.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 13:27
A small red FOX, usually tells me what to think and what to say!

"OPEN THE POD BAY, HAL!

Sorry Dave!" Sorry I meant TGS!
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 18:13
I don't watch the news.  I create it!  I live the world as it happens! 

But I do need intel briefings so:

I use Drudge to keep aware of the news hour by hour (www.drudgerport.com)
I like real clear politics for analysis (www.realcrealpolitics.com)
I will monitor places like Deutsche Welle just to make sure I am not too biased toward English-language sources and also to practice my greatly under-utilized German. 

From the news stands, I will pick up The Economist, the South China Morning Post, or even splurge and get Foreign Affairs Quarterly.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 20:39
I find this the best combination of World News:

BBC News International (Western viewpoint, plus they are pretty neutral), and Aljazeera English (Eastern viewpoint, also pretty neutral). Also occasionally Russia Today (to see what another world power has to say about things). Does anyone know of a Chinese English language channel?

I've also been checking out these websites to get my facts straight regarding the US:

www.politifact.com
www.factcheck.org

Very useful, especially when there is so much propaganda and misinformation being spread here in the US.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 22-Jul-2010 at 20:39
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 05:49
In philly, you get the media version, then you go here-

To get it all sorted out and properly "splained".

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:32

... there is so much propaganda and misinformation being spread here in the US.

And much of it comes from Robert Gibbs' mouth ...
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:39
Originally posted by Patryk

... there is so much propaganda and misinformation being spread here in the US.

And much of it comes from Robert Gibbs' mouth ...

Maybe Bob, is really a "Glibb?"
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 18:03
From Fox and Glenn Beck;

Will Rangle, wrangle his way out of this, or will MSNBC fire its correspondent?

See;

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/43389/

Edited by opuslola - 23-Jul-2010 at 18:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>