Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Know What These Are?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
ColonelAllan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Know What These Are?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 20:30
I have two of them, the same height and stance but only one base. I have better quality pictures if anyone would like to see them. I have been told they are archaic Greek dating from around the 6th century BC but that's all. I don't know who they are or anything else about them. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light??
Thanks,
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 20:31
-Allan
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:17
First of all Colonel, just what provenance do you have concerning these small statues? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/provenance

Are they family heirlooms? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heirloom

Without some other distinguishing facts, the odds are you have in your possession are fakes!

I am not being shallow, I am only presenting things that need to be considered! For every one real antique there might well exist thousands of fakes?

When it comes to stone sculpture(s), I know of no one who could especially designate the age of it, without knowing just where and when it was found, and what has happened to it/them in the interim!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 02-Oct-2010 at 21:17
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:39

I'm afraid the only provenance I have is what I'm telling you; I found them in a house clearance. The person who lived there (they had died) was into archaeology judging from the literature and photographs there. My job was to empty the household of all items and dispose of them. The relatives had already taken anything of 'value' there. Other than that, I've offered to show my higher quality digital images to anyone who is interested. Do you care to see them?

Aside from the possibility of them being fake, the only other problem I can see with them is that one of them is depicted holding a 'corncob' Now corn is a New World crop is it not? Which would indicate a mercantile that stretched further than mainstream archaeology permits. Maybe that is why they are not in a museum?
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:43
They are bronze. I have some other small broken brooches and objects that were with them made from the same weathered bronze. Related or not I really don't know.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:44
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:45

-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:46
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:47
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:50
And the other one.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:52
There's the corn...and a hen.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:54
She has lovely toes.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:56
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:57
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 21:59
That's all the provenance I have I'm afriad. I have higher quality images but 500kb is all the forum allows. What do you think?
-Allan
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 22:01
Dear Colonel!

Now that I know they are bronzes, then there does exist some scientific points that could be considered! Whilst I am no expert on metals, I have read that in some instances, the very site of the metals birth can sometimes be extracted from the chemicals found within small samples, but perhaps I am also wrong in suggesting this area of investigation!

Otherwise, I seem to detect a certain relationship to Etruscan works!

Concerning your reference to the "corn cob", could there exist the possibility that the item you refer to is not another fruit or grain?

I might even suggest that it might represent a famous and religiously regarded fruit with hundreds of seeds found within it?

As I just asked my wife, since I could not remember the name of this fruit, I merely asked her "Just what was the fruit--" when she said "pomegranate!", which was exactly the word I was looking for! Laugh!

My wife can sometimes read my mind!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 22:10
Possibly another fruit or grain. I've been shunned by most 'experts' I've show them to. I've even been offered £100 for them as they are apparently "1920s bookends" To which I quickly grabbed them back and went on my way without looking back! Heheh. I just came to thinking they didn't fit with theory and were therefore not accepted.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2010 at 22:21
Dear Opus,

That is helpful, I didn't know bronze could be dated or that it's origin could be determined.
I sent the first pictures to an auction site who told me that they appear to be archaic greek dating from the 6th century BC although they did mention the possibility of fakery. That's why I took the higher quality pics. I'm waiting for a response from them at the moment.
This is all I know though. I'm curious as to who they are supposed to be, maybe some kind of diety as they look religious to me.

Thanks!
-Allan
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2010 at 09:46
The person who should look at this is Eaglecap. This is his back yard.  Corn, or maize, starts to show up in some Indian sculpture at about the 3rd-4th cent. AD.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2010 at 12:35
Well it does look like corn or maize. Hopefully someone here will know something/have seen something similar before. There seem to be many who are knowledgeable in this on here. Thanks everyone for the responses so far. It's much appreciated.
I am very curious as to their possible age/origin/culture background. They've been in my house now for a number of years and it's a shame to know absolutely nothing about them (aside from them being bronze).
Thanks again.

-Allan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>