Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Know What These Are?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
ColonelAllan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Know What These Are?
    Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 00:29
There is only one base. Any recent damage hasn't occured in my possession (lighter coloured scratching, chipping, rounding of the hole etc). If I ever put the first statue (it's the only one that seems to fit) on the base, I leave the iron pin out.

Edited by ColonelAllan - 05-Oct-2010 at 12:40
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 00:30
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 00:32
The bottom of the base. It appears somebody restored it to me (quite expertly too). As I say I know nothing about their past whatsoever.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 00:33
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:19
Some more of number 2.
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:20
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:22

-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:24
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:25
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:26
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:27
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:28
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:30
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 12:31
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 13:13

I found them in a very old looking battered leather suitcase. They were in a small shoebox-sized box lined with very old looking (brown) cotton wool. Along with this there were a lot of old black and white photos of what looked like an ongoing excavation. Everyone wearing pith helmets and light coloured rolled up pants etc. They were surrounded by what appeared to be darker skinned local people... It's a vague memory. I must have been about 17 at the time. I'd say they were photos from around the early 1900s, but that would be a guess...

There was other stuff too; what looked like a decorative bronze handle from a hand mirror, but the rounded (what once would have been the mirror) surface part was weathered away to nothing...I have since learned that they used highly polished solid bronze for mirrors in antiquity (obviously no glass). And like a highly weathered and crumbling bronze plate (like a dinner plate) with a clear pattern around the edge... I'm sorry to say this chaps, and I kick myself to this day, but I disposed of those! I was young and stupid. I thought they were rubbish you could pick up in marketplaces in Cairo or somewhere (D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!) They're probably in with landfill somewhere after passing through the local refuse tip here! (Aaaaaaah! Ouch)
Anyway here's the items I did keep from the case, along with the small goat and anorexic cat I posted earlier.
This is a lion I think. Looks like it had some practical use. Perhaps the pommel for a sword hilt?
-Allan
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 13:16
Other unidentified bits and bobs.
-Allan
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 14:38
Show the old pictures too (of the excavation)
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 14:45
I wish I had kept them! If the situation were to happen again things would be very different!!
-Allan
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 14:53
I can guess that the photos are also kaput?

But looking at one of the statues, the one with the conical item surrounded by what appear to be petals, I would suggest from my examination of the photographs that it is a "cock!" (rooster!).

As to what might be the significance of the two items, I have no clue!

As to the other statue, and its base? I would ask if there is any relationship to the seperate piece that fits into the round hole, and the width of her hands? Perhaps it was a measuring device?

Very interesting story and photos! Hope you are able to actually find someone with more knowledge of such items than appears to exist here!
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Knight
Knight

Quote ColonelAllan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2010 at 14:56

I can't believe I was so stupid....

-Allan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>