Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kurdish proverbs and sayings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MediaWarLord View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kurdish proverbs and sayings
    Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 19:36
I know that the Medes and the Persians were great writers and poets. The Medes were also well known for their music, like Kurds. The modern Kurds have great writers and great poets too.

Of course every educated Kurd heard of and read works of the legendary Kurdish poets Ali Hariri or Malaye Jaziri.

Kurdish classic love story "Mem and Zin” is considered to be one the most important works of the Kurdish literature. It was written down by Ehmedê Xanî in 1692.

But I love the Kurdish proverbs and saying the most, because many of them are very wise.  Kurds have many proverbs.

Some of my favorites are:

"Many women, many words."
"A shy woman is worth a city, a shy man is worth a goat"
"When the money starts to glitter and clink, even a Mullah will leave the mosque."

Here are the lists of the Kurdish proverbs, but I don't know how 'Kurdish' they are though:

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 22:42
I always enjoy proverbs.  I chose one to comment on.

"Empty words will not fill an empty stomach".   The Christian practice of praying for people, and doing nothing real to help them, really annoys me!   These prayers may make the Christian feel better, but good are they to the person in need?  Perhaps it would be better if they acted on their sense of compassion, instead of soothing themselves with prayer, while doing nothing to meet the need of another.  
MediaWarLord View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 08:47
Thank you for your reply. Religion (and philosophy) is a luxury poor people can't afford!

I like this one too: "In a flat country a hillock thinks itself a mountain."

I suppose you're a Greek. Which Greek proverb is according you a good one?
ALLAN View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote ALLAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 19:15
"Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it so"
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 21:39
If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply