Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women In Warfare And The Military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women In Warfare And The Military
    Posted: 01-Jan-2012 at 18:16

Amage

Amage was a Sarmatian queen who, as Polyaenus reports, ruled as regent for her incapacitated husband in the 4th century BC. She was very warlike, and once sent a letter to a Scythian prince warning him to stop his incursions on her protectorates in the Crimea. When he ignored this warning, Amage rode with 120 men to Scythia and attacked him, killing his guards, killing his friends and family, and personally killing the prince herself "in a sword duel". She allowed his son to live and rule his people on the condition that he obey her edicts.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2012 at 14:20

Tomyris

"Tomyris Plunges the Head of the Dead Cyrus Into a Vessel of Blood" by Alexander Zick

Tomyris, from the Persian was a queen who reigned over the Massagetae, an Iranic people of Central Asia east of the Caspian Sea, in approximately 530 BC.
The names of Tomyris and her son, Spargapises, who was the head of her army, are of Iranian origins. Since the historians who first wrote of her were Greek, the Hellenic form of her name is used most frequently.

Many Greek historians recorded that she "defeated and killed" the Persian emperor Cyrus the Great during his invasion and attempted conquest of her country. Herodotus, who lived from approximately 484 to 425 BC, is the earliest of the classical writers to give an account of her career, writing almost one hundred years later. Her history was well known and became legendary....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomyris#History

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2011 at 22:21
Hua Mulan
An early liberationist.... but no doubt a mean heifer...... who took no feces from any. And unlike later champion's of feminism took no.... nor sought no glory.... but returned home with no desire to seek accolades.

If she were here.... I would make her a Corporal in the Regiment
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2011 at 19:34
One of the earliest female warriors was Boudicca who, as every British person should know, led a successful revolt against the Romans
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2011 at 14:36

Queen Ahhotep I

Queen Ahotep I was the daughter of Queen Tetisheri, the wife of her brother Seqenenre Taa II, and the the mother of Kamose, Ahmose I and Queen Ahmose Nefertari. She is also thought to have been the mother of the princes Ahmose Sipair and Binpu and the princesses Ahmose-Henutemipet, Ahmose-Nebetta, Ahmose-Meritamun and Ahmose-Tumerisy. When he was killed fighting the Hyksos, Ahotep rallied the troops and maintained the pressure on the invaders until her son Kamose was old enough to lead the army. A stele in Karnak temple records her service to the nation, stating:

"The king's wife, the noble lady, who knew everything, assembled Kemet. She looked after what her Sovereign had established. She guarded it. She assembled her fugitives. She brought together her deserters. She pacified her UpperEgyptians. She subdued her rebels, The king´s wife Ahhotep given life".

When her second son Ahmose succeeded in expelling the Hyksos, he led his army to Nubia to regain lost territories. While he was gone, a group of Hyksos sympathisers tried to steal the throne. Ahhotep foiled this attempt, and was awarded the "golden flies of valour" by her son. He also gave her a cache of beautiful jewellery and ornamental weaponry which was found in a tomb at Dra Abu el-Naga near the Valley of the Kings. Her original tomb has not been discovered

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/qahhotepI.html

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 31-Dec-2011 at 14:38
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2011 at 12:55

Coming across a web page titled "Women in warfare and the military in ancient times"  I was intrigued by the wealth of names going back almost four thousand years. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to start up a thread discussing the role of women in warfare, and the military, from ancient times all the way to the present, and maybe the future. That is from as far back into ancient history as possible. So what do you know about the role of women in warfare and the military from ancient times forward? The page I saw was the following, if you want to check out the page I was talking about, but please don't think you need to stick with those from ancient times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_warfare_and_the_military_in_the_ancient_era

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12