Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Christian Saint series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Christian Saint series
    Posted: 07-May-2012 at 19:41
May 7th, in the Orthodox calendar - the feast of St. Acacius of Byzantium, also known as Acato of Avila, Achatius of Byzantium, Agathius of Byzantium, Agathus of Byzantium, Agazio (in Calabria), and Cuenca (in Spain). Known as a patron of soldiers and specifically those fighting agaisnt the Ottomans in the conquered Balkans.
[Saint Acacius of Byzantium]

"...Saint Agathius (died 303), also known as Achatius or Agathonas[1] or Acacius of Byzantium,[4] was a Cappadocian Greek centurion of the imperial army. He was arrested for his faith on charges for being a Christian by Tribune Firmus in Perinthus, Thrace, tortured, and then brought to Byzantium (Constantinople), where he was scourged and beheaded, being made a martyr because he would not give up his Christian Faith. In the later centuries he became popular among the Greeks of the Mani Peninsula in Greece, especially during the reign of the Ottoman Empire in which the Ottomans attempted to forcibly convert everyone to Islam, although the Maniots refused....Constantine the Great built a church in his honour. His relics were translated ca. 630 to a spring at Squillace, close by the Vivarium, the monastery founded in the previous century by Cassiodorus in the heel of Italy.[5] He was known in Squillace as San Agario. A relic of his arm was brought to Guardavalle in 1584 by the bishop of Squillace, Marcello Sirleto, hence Agathius' patronage of this city. Relics from Squillace were also brought to Cuenca and Ávila in Spain, where he is known as San Acato.[6]

He is also venerated in Slovenia, where numerous churches and chapels are dedicated to him; this popular veneration goes back to the 16th century, when he was considered the patron saint of the fighters against the Ottoman Turks.[7]

St. Achatius is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers or Auxiliary Saints...." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacius_of_Byzantium

"The Martyrdom of St. Agathius" 16 cent, by an anonymous author

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Agathius-Acacius-Acacio-martyrdom.jpg/250px-Agathius-Acacius-Acacio-martyrdom.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 07-May-2012 at 19:50
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2012 at 22:49
For my friends in the Emerald Isle.Big smile
Note the reference to Saint Basel.
St. Comgall, Abbot in Ireland

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2012 at 23:30
May 14th - in the Orthodox calendar the feast of St. Isidor of Chios - /the guy in the left of the icon/
Icon of the saint of the day.

"...The Holy Martyr Isidor lived during the III Century on the Island of Chios, and was a native of Alexandria. During the first year of rule of the emperor Decius (249-251) there was issued an edict to make a census of all those capable to serve in the armies of the Roman empire. Saint Isidor, tall and strong of body, was drafted into the regiment of the military-commander Numerius. Saint Isidor was a Christian, he led a life of temperance and abstinence, he was chaste and he shunned all the pagan customs. Another imperial edict then commanded, that all the soldiers were to worship the Roman pagan gods and to offer them sacrifice. Not to obey the edict carried the penalty of torture and death. The centurion reported to the military-commander Numerius, that Isidor was a Christian. At the interrogation before Numerius Saint Isidor without flinching confessed his faith in Christ the Saviour and refused to offer sacrifice to idols. Numerius urged the saint not to expose himself to tortures and to obey the will of the emperor, but Saint Isidor answered, that he would obey only the will of the eternal God, Christ the Saviour, and never would he renounce Him. The saint was handed over to torture. During the time of torments he praised Christ God and denounced the pagan idols. The military-commander gave orders to cut out the tongue of the saint, but even after this the saint continued distinctly to give glory to Christ. Numerius in fright fell to the ground and himself lost the gift of speech. Getting up with the help of soldiers, by means of gestures he demanded a small board and on it wrote an order -- to cut off the head of Saint Isidor. Saint Isidor welcomed his death sentence with joy and said: "I glorify Thee, O my Master, that by Thy mercy Thou hast accepted me in Thine Heavenly Habitation!" The death of the martyr occurred in the year 251. After execution his body was cast out without burial, but another saint, the secret Christian Ammonios, took up his body and committed it to earth. Later on Ammonios himself accepted a martyr's death in the city of Kyzikos (Comm. 4 September).

At the beginning of the XII Century the Russian pilgrim Daniel saw the relics of the holy Martyr Isidor on the Island of Chios. His relics were later transferred to Constantinople and placed in the church of Saint Irene...." http://www.stlukeorthodox.com/html/saints/may/14th.cfm

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2012 at 19:12

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 18:22
Saint Barbara
Patron of Artillerymen...missile men and rocket men. Beloved of Firefighters.

Whether she was legend or not and or abandoned by the Church..she has never been lost nor forgotten by the former.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 00:47
Always burdened with the appellation of ' doubter '....but even every good Cavalryman always doubts... even when only a tiny bit..ask those of Murat's who charged at Eylau....
Then like Thomas... draws forth saber and charges. Certain of... if not his cause.... his gawdamn glory.

Thomas earned his. The same way.

St Thomas the Apostle

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 09:39
St. Canutus, King of Denmark, Martyr

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 12:47
Today is my Uncle's birthday. He is 81. He's an old shell back; a destroyer man of 12 years to include the Korean Conflict. For those of you who don't know destroyer men and their ships are the Cavalrymen of the Sea. Once upon a time he was as hard a drinking and cussing sailor man to ever hit a port. But that's not the point. His middle name is Phillip. His mother gave him that name in honor of the Apostle/Saint. That man...Saint Phillip was simply told to 'follow me'...and he did. No fuss.. no shouting.. no worries about car payments, house loan or a shitty economy. And an even shittier world to worry about. He listened and he followed.
That's faith. 
Happy B-day to my Uncle Hank.

Saint Phillip

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2012 at 15:21
Saint Julitta

“May my estates perish, or be disposed of to strangers; may I also lose my life, and may this my body be cut in pieces, rather than that by the least impious word I should offend God who made me. If you take from me a little portion of this earth, I shall gain heaven for it.”

My mother's favorite and she had a very good reason. Not just because she was a Catholic. Ya see... I lost her to breast cancer when I was nine years old. And that was as a serious loss as I have ever suffered....but she always smiled and had a kind word, even we she fell sick. And she always encouraged me to read. Because of her I learned how to love history and soldiering and the love of training and leading them.

The quote attributed to Julitta may or may not be true but my Mother epitomized it for me.

I otoh am not nearly as pious as my Mother.....so and as we still say in the Regiment....'That's gawdamn good enough for any trooper'.

But I remain satisfied she will continue to 'cover' for me.

Love ya Ma.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2012 at 16:22
Several days ago was my birthday...so the coast is clear and no.... I seek no bullshit well wishes, feigned or other, of the day....to old fer that nonsense.....But I will tell ya that the Lady Saint Mary Magdalen and I, share a day. How old ya ask? None of yer frigging business.
Honor the Lady not me. She will always be a better example of what to be then me.

Tho I am not bad.....LOL 

And remember your Regiment.... ya heathens.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 01-Aug-2012 at 16:23

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 20:08
Faith in organized religion not necessarily being pc much these days....I remain in awe of the faithful who still exercise it. Among them.... the soldiers of Christ in Poland, Mexico, Ireland and Russia. and this takes nothing from those who fight the good fight where they do in other lands. Alas I should fight it better.Wink

Today Aug 12.....is remembered especially in Ireland.

August 12
St. Muredach, First Bishop of Killala, in Ireland

Not much known about Muredach....but I like the idea that 'old man' can still be counted amongst the faithful.LOL

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 14:36
In honor of Pope Francis I; newly elected today.

His namesake's biography.

St. Francis

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Mar-2013 at 14:37

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123