Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of your national anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of your national anthem
    Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by Nick1986

I can't stand my own country's anthem. It's tune is really boring and the lyrics glorify an unelected German tyrant

The same for me! Romanian anthem has some lugubrious, church tune (it was made by Anton Pann, a composer of religious music).

And the lyrics are pretty dumb, they start with "Wake up, Romanian, from the sleep of death" which assume Romanians are some kind of corpse.

benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 07:03
Hungarian anthem has probably the most sad tunes among all, like a beatiful dead song. It is made at 1823 when Hungary belonged to Austria, and its the only national anthem in the world wich was unofficial and not obligatorial, it has spread among the people.

An english translation :

NATIONAL ANTHEM
ON HUNGARY'S STORMY PAST
O, my God, the Magyar bless
With Thy plenty and good cheer!
With Thine aid his just cause press,
Where his foes to fight appear.
Fate, who for so long did'st frown,
Bring him happy times and ways;
Atoning sorrow hath weighed down
Sins of past and future days.

By Thy help our fathers gained
Kárpát's proud and sacred height;
Here by Thee a home obtained
Heirs of Bendegúz (The father of Attila), the knight.
Where'er Danube's waters flow
And the streams of Tisza swell
Árpád's children, Thou dost know,
Flourished and did prosper well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gTftP5CAQ

The Szekler national anthem created at 1921 after Transylvania was given to Romania after the WW1. Its probably more sad than the Hungarian anthem. Szeklers are a hungarian tribe lives in the mountain region of Transylvania, and they consider themselves the direct descendants of the Huns.
Let see how 300,000 people sing it among the hills of Csíksomlyó.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLK3s9k0Vs4

English translation:
Who knows where destiny takes us
On a rough road on a dark night.
Help your nation to victory once more,
Prince Csaba, on the stars' path.

Handful of Székely being crushed like the cliffs
On the sea storming from the battle of nations.
Our heads are a thousand times covered by the tide,
Don't abandon Transylvania, Transylvania, My God!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 20:12
I can't stand my own country's anthem. It's tune is really boring and the lyrics glorify an unelected German tyrant
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Starsucks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Starsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 16:08

Iran's national anthem has changed WAY too many times over the years (probably because its government has also changed that many times).

My personal favorites are the Soviet National Anthem, the French one, and the Romanian one. Yes, the Romanian one. Check it out-- it's quite overlooked.
unclebens View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote unclebens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 06:52
The history of the German national anthem is an ironic one. Composed by a nationalist and a republican, Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben, in 1841, it represented everything that was officially frowned upon in contemporary Germany, as the author himself composed the song in exile (on Heligoland, at the time a British possession). The country was not unified -- just the German Confederation -- and its governments were very far from being republics. Originally called Das Lied der Deutschen (or Das Deutschlandlied, "Song of the Germans/of Germany"), the common title is just from the first line of the song. It originally meant, therefore, the unity of Germany over all its existing divisions, not the triumph of Germany over everyone else. The music was taken from the String Quartet in C major (the Kaiser-Quartet), Op. 76,3 of Joseph Haydn, composed in 1797. Although a unified Germany was later brought about by Prussia, Deutschland über Alles nevertheless was never the national anthem of the German Empire, perhaps because its anti-monarchist origins were well remembered. At the same time, that explains better why the song was adopted as the anthem by the Weimar Republic in March, 1922. Like German nationalism itself, the meaning of the song was then transformed by darker forces. Hitler certainly did want Germany to be "over all" other nations and to dominate the world. But again, Deutschland über Alles was not the favorite song of the Nazis -- that was the Horst Wessel Song. In post-war Germany, the old meaning for the first verse was completely ruined, but the third can still be used as appropriate to the modern stat

Germany, Germany above all
Above everything in the world
When, always, for protection and defense
Brothers stand together.
From the Maas to the Memel
From the Etsch to the Belt,
Germany, Germany above all
Above all in the world.

German women, German fidelity,
German wine and German song,
Shall retain, throughout the world,
Their old respected fame,
To inspire us to noble deeds
For the length of our lives.
German Women, German fidelity,
German wine and German song.

Unity and justice and freedom
For the German Fatherland;
Let us all strive to this goal
Brotherly, with heart and hand.
Unity and justice and freedom
Are the pledge of fortune grand.
Prosper in this fortune's glory,
Prosper German fatherland.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 12:00

China's national anthem---The March of the Volunteers is created in 1935. At that time China was plunged into a war against Japan.This song firstly appeared in a movie and it's officially set as our national anthem in 1949-- after the establishment of PRC.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 02:35
You better cool it. I'm getting the feeling your not going to last long here if you keep acting like a nationalist. If you would have cared to read the thread, you'd know cattus wasn't a snake after all since he was defending the anthem and using sarcasim.

Stop looking for fights with others, we won't put up with it. And a civilized society doesn't look to pick fights over trivial matters. Don't let me catch you attacking another member again, this is a unoffical warning, thats probably going against my better judgement. But looking at the majority of your posts, you look like you can contribute. Don't make me regret my decision.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Maximus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Quote Maximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by cattus

yes, America`s national anthem is a song in which the people relish bombing the crap out of countries while they hold their hands over their hearts ....
You sir have insulted my country, the National Anthem of my country and you have insulted all Americans.

You are lower than a snake.  I step on your neck.  May your children lament your deeds.
There is no place in a civilized society for your hatred.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 19:51
the anthem of people's republic of china has a short history, to be honest i think the state's flag and anthem are lame, no history, no tradition, just some communist bullshit imported from soviet russia
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 01:11
The Irish National Anthem is called Amhrán na bhFiann (pronounce awrawn na vfian).

It was written by a man named Peadar Kearney in 1907 in English under the name the Soldier's Song . It was a popular song among the Irish Volunteers(est 1913) and was sung by them during the Easter Rising 1916 and afterward in the British prison camps.

It was adopted as the official Anthem in 1926 by the Free State.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 06:32
Chilean natural anthem is focussed in nature, and also in the very chovinistic myth that we live in a paradyse. Chilean anthem is quite long, but we just song a part of it.
Its final form is from 1840.
Curiosly, the anthem is a dialog between chileans an a mythic Chile as a living being.

Verse 5:
Puro, Chile, es tu cielo azulado,(Pure, my Chile, is your blue sky)

Puras brisas te cruzan también,(kind winds cross you as well)

Y tu campo de flores bordado (and your countyside is stitched in flowers)

Es la copia feliz del Edén.(is the happy copy of the eden garden)

Majestuosa es la blanca montaña
(majestic is the white mountain)

Que te dio por baluarte el Señor,
(that gave you the Lord to use as a castle to protect you)

Y ese mar que tranquilo te baña
(and that peaceful sea that washes you)

Te promete futuro esplendor.
(promises you future prosperity)

Chorus:
Dulce Patria, recibe los votos (sweet country, receive our promise)
Con que Chile en tus aras juró (that Chile in the altars sweared)
Que o la tumba serás de los libres (that you will be the tumb of the free)
O el asilo contra la opresión. (or will be land to refuge people from opresion)

Edited by pinguin - 11-May-2008 at 06:50
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:26

The Soviet Armenian national anthem was a poem written by Sarmen. The music was composed by the Armenian Aram Khatchaturian, one of the top 3 composers of the 20th century. This was the anthem until 1991.

In 1991 they incorporated a new anthem to celebrate independence from the USSR. It is based on the anthem of the First Armenian Republic (1918-1920), but with different lyrics. The author of the lyrics is poet Mikael Nalbandian (1829-1866) and the music is from Barsegh Kanachyan (1885-1967). These are the lyrics, symbolizing Armenian survival and heart throughout thousands of years of tragedy:

Our fatherland, free and independent,
That lived from century to century
His children are calling
Free independent Armenia.

Here brother, for you a flag,
That I made with my hands
Nights I didn't sleep,
With tears I washed it.

Look at it, three colors
It's our gifted symbol.
Let it shine against the enemy.
Let Armenia always be glorious.

Everywhere death is the same
Everyone dies only once
But lucky is the one
Who is sacrificed for his nation.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 12:31

yes, America`s national anthem is a song in which the people relish bombing the crap out of countries while they hold their hands over their hearts ....

The rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air refers to the Flag standing against the bombing of U.S. Fort McHenry by the British. Francis Scott Key who was detained by them on ship 8 miles out was moved by this.

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 08:46

And the rockets red glare,the bombs bursting in air....

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:57
I think American national anthem is poetic and lovely  Its actions are not....however
Grrr..
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:39

Polish National Anthem (Dbrowski's Mazurka) was created between 16 and 19 of July, 1795 in Reggio di Emilia in Italy, on the occasion of the departure of the Polish legions, led by general Jan Henryk Dbrowski (1755-1818) to fight in the Revolutionary wars (supporting the French ). The author of the "Song of the Polish Legions in Italy" - as the anthem was originally called - was Jzef Wybicki, General Dbrowski's close associate. The folk tune and the inspiring texts, with the first strophe beginning with "Poland's not dead as long as we live" immediately captured the attention of the soldiers, Poland's emigres and the country inhabitants.

Polish national anthem:

http://www.thenationalanthems.com/country/poland.htm

Other national anthems (with music) :

http://www.thenationalanthems.com/ 

Edited by TJK
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:27

As stated on the government of Canada web site.

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavalle, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 08:07
America's National Anthem: The Star Spangled Banner

Composed by Francis Scott Key as he awaited the outcome of a battle while against the British during the War of 1812.  Although a couple of other such songs have been written since then, this remains the most popular choice for national anthem amongst we Americans.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:37

My favorite anthems are:

La Marseilles

Star Spangled Banner

Soviet Anthem

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:36
Istiklal Marsi

Fear not, the crimson flag, waving in these dawns will never fade
Before the last hearth that is burning in my nation vanishes.
That is my nation's star, it will shine;
That is mine, it belongs solely to my nation.

Oh coy crescent do not frown for I am ready to sacrifice myself for you!
Please smile upon my heroic nation, why that anger, why that rage?
If you frown, our blood shed for you will not be worthy.
Freedom is the right of my nation who worships God and seeks what is right.

Lyrics by M. Akif Ersoy
Music composed by Zeki Ungor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>