Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of your national anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
unclebens View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote unclebens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of your national anthem
    Posted: 01-Nov-2011 at 06:52
The history of the German national anthem is an ironic one. Composed by a nationalist and a republican, Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben, in 1841, it represented everything that was officially frowned upon in contemporary Germany, as the author himself composed the song in exile (on Heligoland, at the time a British possession). The country was not unified -- just the German Confederation -- and its governments were very far from being republics. Originally called Das Lied der Deutschen (or Das Deutschlandlied, "Song of the Germans/of Germany"), the common title is just from the first line of the song. It originally meant, therefore, the unity of Germany over all its existing divisions, not the triumph of Germany over everyone else. The music was taken from the String Quartet in C major (the Kaiser-Quartet), Op. 76,3 of Joseph Haydn, composed in 1797. Although a unified Germany was later brought about by Prussia, Deutschland über Alles nevertheless was never the national anthem of the German Empire, perhaps because its anti-monarchist origins were well remembered. At the same time, that explains better why the song was adopted as the anthem by the Weimar Republic in March, 1922. Like German nationalism itself, the meaning of the song was then transformed by darker forces. Hitler certainly did want Germany to be "over all" other nations and to dominate the world. But again, Deutschland über Alles was not the favorite song of the Nazis -- that was the Horst Wessel Song. In post-war Germany, the old meaning for the first verse was completely ruined, but the third can still be used as appropriate to the modern stat

Germany, Germany above all
Above everything in the world
When, always, for protection and defense
Brothers stand together.
From the Maas to the Memel
From the Etsch to the Belt,
Germany, Germany above all
Above all in the world.

German women, German fidelity,
German wine and German song,
Shall retain, throughout the world,
Their old respected fame,
To inspire us to noble deeds
For the length of our lives.
German Women, German fidelity,
German wine and German song.

Unity and justice and freedom
For the German Fatherland;
Let us all strive to this goal
Brotherly, with heart and hand.
Unity and justice and freedom
Are the pledge of fortune grand.
Prosper in this fortune's glory,
Prosper German fatherland.

Starsucks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Starsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 16:08

Iran's national anthem has changed WAY too many times over the years (probably because its government has also changed that many times).

My personal favorites are the Soviet National Anthem, the French one, and the Romanian one. Yes, the Romanian one. Check it out-- it's quite overlooked.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 20:12
I can't stand my own country's anthem. It's tune is really boring and the lyrics glorify an unelected German tyrant
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 07:03
Hungarian anthem has probably the most sad tunes among all, like a beatiful dead song. It is made at 1823 when Hungary belonged to Austria, and its the only national anthem in the world wich was unofficial and not obligatorial, it has spread among the people.

An english translation :

NATIONAL ANTHEM
ON HUNGARY'S STORMY PAST
O, my God, the Magyar bless
With Thy plenty and good cheer!
With Thine aid his just cause press,
Where his foes to fight appear.
Fate, who for so long did'st frown,
Bring him happy times and ways;
Atoning sorrow hath weighed down
Sins of past and future days.

By Thy help our fathers gained
Kárpát's proud and sacred height;
Here by Thee a home obtained
Heirs of Bendegúz (The father of Attila), the knight.
Where'er Danube's waters flow
And the streams of Tisza swell
Árpád's children, Thou dost know,
Flourished and did prosper well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gTftP5CAQ

The Szekler national anthem created at 1921 after Transylvania was given to Romania after the WW1. Its probably more sad than the Hungarian anthem. Szeklers are a hungarian tribe lives in the mountain region of Transylvania, and they consider themselves the direct descendants of the Huns.
Let see how 300,000 people sing it among the hills of Csíksomlyó.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLK3s9k0Vs4

English translation:
Who knows where destiny takes us
On a rough road on a dark night.
Help your nation to victory once more,
Prince Csaba, on the stars' path.

Handful of Székely being crushed like the cliffs
On the sea storming from the battle of nations.
Our heads are a thousand times covered by the tide,
Don't abandon Transylvania, Transylvania, My God!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by Nick1986

I can't stand my own country's anthem. It's tune is really boring and the lyrics glorify an unelected German tyrant

The same for me! Romanian anthem has some lugubrious, church tune (it was made by Anton Pann, a composer of religious music).

And the lyrics are pretty dumb, they start with "Wake up, Romanian, from the sleep of death" which assume Romanians are some kind of corpse.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12