Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is your favorite tactic on the battlefield?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is your favorite tactic on the battlefield?
    Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 13:45
BEfore the handheld gun,what was your favorite tactic,and which nation did it belong to?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 15:45

For myself personally it's called running away.

But for others it would either have to be massed longbow fire or a glorious gung ho cavalry charge.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 19:06
Mongolian style of cavalry attack and defense.  The key element: attack with movement, even in retreat!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 19:35
I don't know which nation this belonged to but, on the defensive side, bowmen behind the swords men to hewn down the calvery and other charging units.  While the swordsmen held back the charge, the bowmen changed to swords and helped hand to hand
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 06:53
running away is good,exellent choice paul
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 09:00

Originally posted by aknc

running away is good,exellent choice paul

Depending on who you're running from...

Just sounds like you'll get the pleasure of dying at the hands of harassing cavalry to me.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 11:38

well,if you are a horse archer,it'sa low possibility

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 13:16
Single combat.

Seriously, it saves enormous casualties, as well as it demands courage, strength and a honourable spirit of the two involved.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 13:18

But if you are a swordsmen, then the possibility is very great.

But swordsmen wouldn't run away, so let us say you are a very barbarian-type guy, like with a wooden shield, an axe and a narrow leather jacket.

I, myself would preferr an all-out charge with all the men who could be in every contition except against longbnows. If there would be longbows then i'd just not attack.

Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 04:33
In nowadays wars the more important facts are speed, mobility, comunication, air "superiority"...  something like how USA invaded Iraq or Germany invaded Poland/France.
Or what's the same: Blitzkrieg

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 05:20

I see longbows as being the predecessor to the standard form of attack for western armies: massed infantry equipped with missile weaponry.

But to answer the question I like the entire structure of the Roman attack. Testudo formation to resist missiles, a well drilled and disciplined volley of pila to soften up the enemy completed with the man to man contest complemented by the tactical mobility afforded by manipular organisation. It was a thousand years before that type of discipline, imagination, sophistication and battlefield nerve re-emerged.

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 21:21
the flank, and kill all the officers, leaving the military in chaos
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 23:35
Tactics??? Who needs tactics??

Edited by Illuminati
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 23:42

Hannibal' double encirclement. Ah tis beautiful and bloody...

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 00:28
Have a phallanx type infantry hold up their infantry, with calvary charges to flank the enemy from the sides.
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 06:32

Selchukid Hordes' Hill Tactic is my favourite.(hilal=crescent)

The enemy was being called(with hit and run) in a middle of a crescent and the forces surrounding this crescent was hunting them.

The Battle of Manzikert was won with this tactic.

Edited by Jagatai Khan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 10:15
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Selchukid Hordes' Hill Tactic is my favourite.(hilal=crescent)

The enemy was being called(with hit and run) in a middle of a crescent and the forces surrounding this crescent was hunting them.

The Battle of Manzikert was won with this tactic.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 10:34
The anvil & hammer tactics of Alexander. Its simple and efficient.
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 09:02
Bribe the oponent...
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 13:35
Ghengis Kahn used a fain retreat tactic, that was unstoppable in it's day. Especially when you consider the nature of a pitch battle. The last thing you ever want to see is you're men running away.

Alexander used such beautiful tactics which basically utilized his every advantage to the fullest, at the same time attacking the enemy at thier weakest point. The way in which he used his forces to a combined assult at a key point at the exact moment of the battle. It was probably breathtaken to watch.

And of course Hannibal who basically used Alexander's tactics on the Romans. 

Edited by Bishop
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>