Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankreich & Allemagne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankreich & Allemagne
    Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 09:15

But those franks could had been german franks from Franken, or were they french franks?

TSZ:-)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 11:22
Originally posted by gcle2003

Not that I'd quibble over a decade or so. The point at issue is who the Franks were fighting with for control of the area. And that, until Tolbiac anyway, appears to have been the Alamanni. They controlled what is now Alsace and the left bank of the upper Rhine.

there is no implication to this that there was any form of colonization by Alemanni.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 14:21
Originally posted by Temujin

You could try http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/msr/Ethno/dategen8.html though its maybe overkill.

But it hardly seems worth giving web references since it seems to be pretty well accepted history that the Alamanni (from the east and the south) and the Franks (from the west and the north) fought for a while over this whole area until the battle of Tolbiac in 496 pretty well settled things for a while, and the Alamanni became subject to the Franks (barring the odd rebellion). The Franks had earlier taken Trier in mid-century.

However try http://www.robert-weinland.org/histo.php?lang=en (remembering that southern Luxembourg is part of the Lorraine plateau), look at http://www.odinsvolk.ca/GermanicPeoples.htm#Alamanni , or check the wikipedia articles on Trier and Thionville, for instance. 

The only full-length English language textbook I know dealing with Luxembourg is James Newcomer's The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, which is understandably mainly concerned with events after the foundation of the (then) County, but describes the Franks as 'replacing' the Alamanni in the area. It seems unlikely that he was referring to ethnic cleansing (there being no other indication that anything like that took place) so it's reasonable to assume that a fair amount of intermarriage took place.

Incidentally I didn't mean to imply that Luxembourgers were a mixture of only Franks and Alamanni. The genetic heritage is a lot more complex than that, and undoubtedly includes a large Celtic part (if Paul will forgive me using the term), even excluding the 19th and 20t century immigrations from southern Europe.

it is unlikely that Luxemburgers are Alemanic, considdering the northern border of the Alemani duchy as well as the language border. the northern border of the old duchy are the northern border of Alsace in the west, the northern border of the Bavarian district Swabia in the east and appx. the old border bewteen the American and French occupation zone in the middle. this is also pretty consistent witht he language border. between this border an Luxemburg are appx. 100km and another language in bewteen (Palatinate).

What duchy are you talking about? The only Duchy of Alamannia I'm aware of was set up by Charlemagne some 300 odd years later than when we are discussing. I also thought that was in Swabia, and different from the Duchy of Alsace.

That there were Alamans even further north than even historic Luxembourg is evident from the battle of Tolbiac, if nothing else. By Charlemagne's time, when the boundaries of the duchies were fixed, the Franks had been ruling the whole area for centuries: in Clovis's time though they were, in effect, invaders.

The Moselle and the Meuse both flow northwards from established Alaman territory in Alsace, forming easy migration routes; it would seem likely that the Alamans moved down them as well as down the left bank of the Rhine until they confronted the Franks coming in the opposite direction.

It's worth noting that the Alamanni were much more Romanised than the Franks, and it would seem likely that confrontations recorded as being between Franks and 'Romans' are probably quite often between Franks and Romanised Alamans. On that issue http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2007/2007-06-24.html
is interesting.

On the language issue, Ltzebuergesch is recognised as belonging to the same group as what are known as the 'Moselle Franconian' dialects (though I don't advise trying to tell a Luxembourger that it is 'only' a dialect). One would expect centuries of Frankish rule to lead to general adoption of Frankish linguistics, but the interesting thing is why this group of languages (which cover pretty well the area of historic Luxembourg) should warrant distinction from other Frankish ones. It's part of a linguistic cline that runs on down into established Alaman areas (though of course still much closer to Frankish origins.

I'm not aware of a Palatinate dialect though when I was working in Cologne I had an occasional stab at klsch (in both senses). Anyway though, the Palatinate is not between Alsace and Luxembourg, Lorraine is, and in Lorraine (when they're not talking French) the language is pretty well Ltzebuergesch.

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-Sep-2007 at 14:24
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 15:12
Palatinate Dialect (Pflzisch) is rather well known.

here's a map:

as you can see the core of Alemanni territory is centered around Lake Constance.

it is possible that Allemanni held territory north of their coreland but i see no reason to assume that this conquest was not only temporary and did include a wave of settlers. and i don't see how the Moselle and other rivers have anything to to with tribal spread, considdering that half of the Alemanni were on the Alps, the other half were not and they were also not spread along the major rivers (Rhine and Danube) that originate from their territory.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 15:30

Not that I'd quibble over a decade or so. The point at issue is who the Franks were fighting with for control of the area. And that, until Tolbiac anyway, appears to have been the Alamanni. They controlled what is now Alsace and the left bank of the upper Rhine.

there is no implication to this that there was any form of colonization by Alemanni.

You mean, I take it, north of Alsace?

Why would they have stopped there? What were they doing fighting at Tolbiac then, which is to the north-east of historic Luxembourg? Or, put another way, who do you think Clovis was fighting thereabouts?

Until you came along I'd never heard anyone dispute the account as given at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tolbiac

If the Alamanni weren't trying to colonise north of Alsace, why didn't Clovis meet them down near Strasbourg instead of Zlpich? If the Alamanni had won the battle (and the war) what do you think would have happened.

Who do you think were inhabiting the Moselle valley and the surrounding countryside when the Franks arrived?

It may be that Gregory of Tours was exaggerating the religious aspect of the battle, but why should he have had said 'Alamanni' rather than whoever else it was?

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-Sep-2007 at 15:45
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 15:44

Palatinate Dialect (Pflzisch) is rather well known.

here's a map:

Personally, while I'm aware of Pflzisch, I'd never heard it called 'Palatinate'. The Palatinate is only part of Rhineland-Palatinate, and I've never really thought of it as ethnically homogeneous (at this level of detail). Certainly noone around here thinks of the Saarland or Lorraine as part of Pfalz.

Anyway after a millenium and more of Frankish domination of the area you'd rather expect the language to have shifted in that direction. Look what's happened to English since the fifth century.

as you can see the core of Alemanni territory is centered around Lake Constance.

it is possible that Allemanni held territory north of their coreland but i see no reason to assume that this conquest was not only temporary and did include a wave of settlers. and i don't see how the Moselle and other rivers have anything to to with tribal spread, considdering that half of the Alemanni were on the Alps, the other half were not and they were also not spread along the major rivers (Rhine and Danube) that originate from their territory.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 16:41
Palatinate = Pfalz so Pflzisch

Why would they have stopped there? What were they doing fighting at Tolbiac then, which is to the north-east of historic Luxembourg? Or, put another way, who do you think Clovis was fighting thereabouts?

Until you came along I'd never heard anyone dispute the account as given at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tolbiac

If the Alamanni weren't trying to colonise north of Alsace, why didn't Clovis meet them down near Strasbourg instead of Zlpich? If the Alamanni had won the battle (and the war) what do you think would have happened.

Who do you think were inhabiting the Moselle valley and the surrounding countryside when the Franks arrived?

It may be that Gregory of Tours was exaggerating the religious aspect of the battle, but why should he have had said 'Alamanni' rather than whoever else it was?

so this one battle is your single evidence? what about the battle of Pavia 271 between Emerpor Aurelian and the Alemanni? does that imply that all of northern italy was Alemanni? or does the battle of the Catalaun fields imply all of eastern europe was Hunnic as we see on modern maps all the time? well my guess who were the inhabitants of Luxemburg before the Frankish conquest? other Franks... :P
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 06:49

Palatinate = Pfalz so Pflzisch

so this one battle is your single evidence?
Plus the fact that both sets of peoples were expanding to take over what had been Romanised Gaul. Plus the fact that there is a natural barrier between where the Franks first came across the Rhine and where the Alemanni did - the Ardennes-Oesling-Eifel complex, while there is no such natural barrier coming up from Alsace. As I pointed out, on the other hand the river flows are helpful.

And, incidentally, while it may be just one battle, you still haven't advanced any reason for it taking place.
what about the battle of Pavia 271 between Emerpor Aurelian and the Alemanni? does that imply that all of northern italy was Alemanni?
No, because the Romans won. It does show that the Alemanni were trying to move into northern Italy, and the fact that they were stopped there only increases, if anything, the probability of their choosing other directions for expansion. After all we know they did move north, the only question being how far.
 or does the battle of the Catalaun fields imply all of eastern europe was Hunnic as we see on modern maps all the time?
As colonists you cannot compare the Huns with either the Franks or the Alamanni.
 well my guess who were the inhabitants of Luxemburg before the Frankish conquest? other Franks... :P
Well, of course, partly I agree with you. My point is that in the fourth century the area had been settled by both Franks and Alamanni, which is why they ended up fighting to see who would rule the country. Which was settled at Tolbiac.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 13:29

I was deliberately vague in writing 'in mid-century' since it seemed good enough for the context. 459 is the date used by Newcomer for (final) Frankish conquest of Trier. It's also the date given in the wikipedia article on Trier. Arbogast controlled the city later than that, and is usually, wherever I've seen it, referred to as a Frank, like the earlier Arbogast, who, presumably, was an ancestor.

Not that I'd quibble over a decade or so. The point at issue is who the Franks were fighting with for control of the area. And that, until Tolbiac anyway, appears to have been the Alamanni. They controlled what is now Alsace and the left bank of the upper Rhine. The Franks controlled the left bank of the middle Rhine, north of the Ardennes/Eifel as well as (by this time) Gaul to the west of there. The Lorraine plateau and today's Rhineland-Palatinate were, in effect, the borderland between them, and settled by both.

For a starter I think we should consider Wikipedia rather unreliable (as in hardly verifiable, not necessarily false). Though one of the principles of the project requires the claims to be explicitely sourced, many times they are not, not to say that even the sources themselves might be unreliable, outdated, or controversial. Also, the heterogenous community responsible for this project makes that the information written in different articles to reflect different views, and thus an inconsistency within the project. For instance, the article on Trier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier) gives with absolutely no reference the date 459 AD for the final(?) Frankish conquest, while the article on the history of Trier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Trier - an expansion of the history section of the former article) gives, with a vague reference (a 20 pages reference for a paragraph encompassing the history of the city for about 150 years, a reference which may not be support all the claims from it), the date 475 AD. Needless to say this is valid for today, September 12, 2007, as I am writing this post here, later the articles might get changed.

The comes Arbogast was a rather autonomous ruler, perhaps an ex-Roman official like Aegidius. His "Romanhood" praised by Sidonius Appollinaris was, AFAIK, based on two aspects - his exquisite Roman culture and education (e.g. speaking a Latin free of "barbarisms") and being a Christian. If he was indeed a descendant of the magister militum Arbogast (Flavius Arbogastes) from the 4th century, I don't think that would make him actually Frankish. His ethnicity would have been at best mixed, and his self-awareness, his identity, his culture probably would make him more of a Roman than of a "barbarian". Penny MacGeorge writes  in Late Roman Warlords (Oxford University Press, 2003) at p. 75 about this Arbogast browsing the possible hypotheses on his identity (check on GoogleBooks: http://books.google.com/books?id=7iNqpYo9Qd0C&pg=PA75&dq=%22Sidonius+Apollinaris+lauds+Arbogast+as+an+educated+man%22&sig=TaGgUJ69mOVBb4iWMvVCZrBOB10).

When you have said mid-century I've assumed you have thought of the attack on the city in the late 450s (I've seen the dates 457 and 459 given for it). My intervention was just for the sake of the accuracy. The Frankish sacks and conquests of Trier started at the beginning of 5th century, probably in 406. Salvianus in the 440s knows the city was sacked 4 times by the Franks. I do not know how many were in the entire century, but I tend not to take Arbogast's rule as a evidence of the Frankish rule on the city, on the contrary. Also the conquest of the northern Gaul and the left bank of the Rhine was not that smooth. In Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages (edited by Andr Vauchez, Richard Barrie Dobson, Michael Lapidge and published in 2000), at p. 570,  it is said that by mid-century the Franks (the Ripuarian Franks more exactly) took possession several times of Cologne, Trier, Mainz without actually controlling the left bank of the middle Rhine. They certainly had some possessions in northern Gaul because AFAIK cities like Tournai or Cambrai (looking on the map, probably they were reached over the lower Rhine) were in Frankish control since the first half of the century. However, moving to the end of the century, during the times of the Clovis' conquests here are also some mentions to be made. The drawing of the Frankish border should take account of several cities. Soissons was conquered by Clovis in the 5th year of his reign from Syagrius. The life of the Saint Mesmin of Orlans says Clovis conquered Verdun. The Ravenna Cosmography (written in the 6th-7th centuries) places Worms in Alamann control (Worms is on the Rhine, at about the same latitude with Trier).
But most important is that the map of the political control and the map of demographics (from linguistic point of view, from what I know these studies are on toponyms, inscriptions, etc.) do not match. The Franks infilitrated Gaul probably since 3rd century or so (with the first foeduses, in the 4th century we already find Franks in Roman army - see Notitia Dignitatum). But the main demographical component in Gaul remained the "Galo-Roman" one. The Germanism (linguistically) spreaded over the Rhine to the west gradually between 5th and 9-10th centuries reaching the linguistic borders we see today (on all the maps I've seen is a line hard to define as it follows almost no geographical pattern). However in these centuries, there were many enclaves of Romanism, like the one around Trier. Certainly at the end of the 5th century, the beginning of the 6th - the times of the battle of Tolbiac, the actual Luxembourg was not just a battlefield between Franks and Alamanns, had a mixed population of both Galo-Romanic and Germanic stock.

Edited by Chilbudios - 12-Sep-2007 at 15:45
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 14:33
thanks... Smile

Plus the fact that both sets of peoples were expanding to take over what had been Romanised Gaul. Plus the fact that there is a natural barrier between where the Franks first came across the Rhine and where the Alemanni did - the Ardennes-Oesling-Eifel complex, while there is no such natural barrier coming up from Alsace. As I pointed out, on the other hand the river flows are helpful.

natural barriers are no reliable evidence whatsoever, see Alps, Rhine etc. what you do is just jumping on random conclusions

And, incidentally, while it may be just one battle, you still haven't advanced any reason for it taking place.

a battle alone doesn't automatically imply anything, migration or conquest background whatsoever. what is your explanation for Bouvines?

No, because the Romans won. It does show that the Alemanni were trying to move into northern Italy, and the fact that they were stopped there only increases, if anything, the probability of their choosing other directions for expansion. After all we know they did move north, the only question being how far.

so? Franks won too and Northern Italy still isn't Alemanni. even modern Switzerland at this point still wasn't Alemanni. look at those maps:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Alemanni_expansion.png

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5085/bw290ko3.jpg

if anything they imply a very strong southward movement. also note again they don't even include modern Switzerland.

As colonists you cannot compare the Huns with either the Franks or the Alamanni.

well of course Huns just fell from the sky, thats why they were so different from the Germanic tribes...

Well, of course, partly I agree with you. My point is that in the fourth century the area had been settled by both Franks and Alamanni, which is why they ended up fighting to see who would rule the country. Which was settled at Tolbiac.

there is no proove or evidence of any settling taking part other than your assumption based on Tolbiac.

Edited by Temujin - 12-Sep-2007 at 14:35
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2007 at 16:14
http://www.multilingual-matters.net/jmmd/023/0009/jmmd0230009.pdf 

At page 13 is the map I was mentioning above. As you can see, in the early Middle Ages (the times we're talking about), Luxembourg as well as the entire territory west and south of Rhine was still in the "Romanic" area. It will pass centuries until it will "Germanize" following the today borders.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:26
Originally posted by Chilbudios

http://www.multilingual-matters.net/jmmd/023/0009/jmmd0230009.pdf 

At page 13 is the map I was mentioning above. As you can see, in the early Middle Ages (the times we're talking about), Luxembourg as well as the entire territory west and south of Rhine was still in the "Romanic" area. It will pass centuries until it will "Germanize" following the today borders.

Not the way it reads to me. The border marked (3) refers to the early Middle Ages, and the dividing line runs smack through historic Luxembourg (sightly in fact to the west, through what is now the Belgian province rather than the Grand duchy).

The border marked (2) applies to c. 280 AD, which is earlier than we are talking about.

I don't see anything wrong with your earlier informative post because it doesn't seem to get to the heart of the matter, which is that both Franks and Alemanni are part of the Luxembourg heritage. I already pointed out that there is also, in my view, a large holdover from the Gallic period. The exact date when the Franks took control of Trier, or whether Arbogast was a Frank or a descendant of the other one, isn't terribly material.

(Also in case it isn't clear, I've been referring throughout to 'historic Luxembourg' which was considerably bigger than the present Grand Duchy.)

I'm not exactly alone in this. Apart from anything else the collection of historical articles at http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/1/5/3/4/15345/15345.htm
includes this from Guizot (I don't see why someone who has been dead a century and more is therefore not to be taken into account.)

Originally posted by Franois Guizot

In 496 the Alemannians, a Germanic confederation like the Franks, who
also had been, for some time past, assailing the Roman Empire on the
banks of the Rhine or the frontiers of Switzerland, crossed the river
and invaded the settlements of the Franks on the left bank.
504. Expulsion by the Franks of the Alemanni from the Middle Rhine.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:46

thanks... Smile

natural barriers are no reliable evidence whatsoever, see Alps, Rhine etc. what you do is just jumping on random conclusions
They're not random at all. They follow a logical sequence. It's silly to say that areas like the Ardennes-Oesling-Eifel don't hinder expansion through them, or to deny that people are more likely to migrate along rivers than across mountains.

a battle alone doesn't automatically imply anything, migration or conquest background whatsoever. what is your explanation for Bouvines?
I don't see the relevance of the situation here to dynastic struggles nearly a thousand years later. The major migrations were over by 1214 in western Europe.

so? Franks won too and Northern Italy still isn't Alemanni. even modern Switzerland at this point still wasn't Alemanni. look at those maps:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Alemanni_expansion.png

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5085/bw290ko3.jpg

if anything they imply a very strong southward movement. also note again they don't even include modern Switzerland.
Actually they flatly contradict each other. The second one still has all the Alamanni EAST of the Rhine as late as 450, while the first has them west of it in the mid-4th century. Moreover, the second one has the Alamanni as far north as Trier (though still east of it) whereas the first one has them as far north as Koblenz.

Both of them do show how close even the areas the Alamanni eventually settled were to the area in question.

I think both the maps are biassed (inadvertently, not deliberately) by considerations of where the Alamanni finally established control rather than where they established settlements.

well of course Huns just fell from the sky, thats why they were so different from the Germanic tribes...

there is no proove or evidence of any settling taking part other than your assumption based on Tolbiac.

In the context of the time, most battles reflect some people trying to migrate somewhere.
There are plenty of instances of other people saying the same thing, even if you discount wikipedia. (I don't see why anyone would have made up the references in the wikipedia article on Thionville for instance.)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:55
obviously the term "occupation" completely evades your mind here. there were no Alemanni settlers in Luxemburg whatsoever (ditto northern italy & central france despite battles being fought there) which means Luxemburger are and were not Alemanni EVER. end of story. if you go on i take it as a personal insult.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 13:15
The map is almost the same with Gysseling's map which was used also by Lucien Musset in his Les Invasions (and I have this book and I can say the borders are roughly the same). Musset, using Gysseling and several other references argues the linguistic border between Germanity and Romanity was almost (with few exceptions) unchanged since the 9-10th century or so (and you can see on this map too, if you compare borders (3) and (4)) and more than in this map adds that this border started to change only starting with the 5th century but the Roman elements from this area were resistent and that Romanic enclaves were preserved until 8-10th century or so (in Eifel or on the Moselle valley or around cities like Trier, Tongres, Maastrich or Aachen)
I'm quite confident the early Middle Ages to which this map refers is later than ~500 AD. But border (1) is the Roman limes on Rhine and Danube, which was definitely broken only in the 5th century. The dates 73/85-260 only refer to border (2) which is the limes including the Agri Decumates, a much more ephemerous possession of the empire than Gaul and the territories we're discussing. Our comparision is however between border (1) and border (3). That's why I said Luxembourg (even the territory of the duchy) was on the map at this date still in the "Romanic" area. Actually most probably it was a transition between the two borders, which would mean the linguistical aspect of the areas in discussion is best described as mixed.  

I also "am not alone". Lucien Musset (in a four decades old book, however much more recent than Guizot and having access to much more scholarship!) uses such references to argue for the linguistical phenomena in this area: Gysseling, Ewig, Jungandreas (the latter two especially for the linguistical Romanic enclaves I've been mentioning above). If you need detailed titles, I'll be happy to provide them.

My point is not that Franks or Alemanni are not part of Luxembourg's heritage, nor am I focusing only on today Luxembourg, but that the actual Luxembourg as well as the neighbouring area (with cities like the aforementioned Trier) during 5th century, but also in the centuries after still preserved important Romanic elements. Therefore a perspective on its inhabitants cannot ignore this.

Temujin, on what grounds can you definitely rule out the Alemannic element in the 5-6th century demographics?

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Sep-2007 at 13:19
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Temujin, on what grounds can you definitely rule out the Alemannic element in the 5-6th century demographics?

thats not the point. he came up with something that is not established. he is the one to proove. don't forget politics. if Luxemburger say "we're both Franks and Alemanni" then this translates as "we're both French & German", so they don't piss off one of their two big neighbours who both have huge influence in the country historically. Alemanni are quite distinct tribe which was often attested in early HRE chronicals (HRE was organized along tribal lines). there is no implication by either by language nor customs (like the distinct Swabian-Alemannian carneval which is over a millennia old, as opposed to the more famous Rhenish carneval which developed in more recent times).
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 13:40
But that is what I was saying. Luxemburgers are both "French" and "German" as the inhabitants of the area in the 5-6th centuries were a mixture of Galo-Romans and Germanic populations (Franks, Alemanns and possibly other stocks). But moreover they are both French and German being between the two later developed nations (and naturally being influenced, also demographically, by both). It's not about proofs, but about plausible hypotheses and claims (given that on any ethnical border mixtures often occur).

If you look for evidences, maybe you can find a study on toponymy which can show the Alemannic demographic elements. Perhaps you'll have some suprises and find some where you are not expecting them.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:37
Luxemburgers are German, not French. what makes them French? nothing. Romans are not French, neither Gauls. Celts (Gauls) originate from Southern Germany, so thats no proove for "Frenchness" even though some people (for reason of language i guess) equal Gauls with modern French. Franks are ancestors of parts of French people and parts of German people, thats the only connection. if Luxemburgers would be Alemanni that would mean Palatinate and a whole lot of the Rhineland would be Alemanni too, which is inaccurate. it is obvioulsy Frankish. i don't see whats the point of trying to make the Luxemburgers Alemanni other than the "prestige" attained to that tribe. furthermore theres no eivdence either that the Alemanni remained in those northern settlements. this is the inconsitency with gcle. he uses displacment and settlement interchangably as he whishes. if it pleases his theory, they made a migratory movement. if it pleases his theory, they only made an incursion. if it pleases his theory, people were displacend and replaced by others. just look at his biased comment on the Huns.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 15:33
If you want to take it this way Luxemburgers are not Germans because they obviously hold a different identity from Germans. I thought when you issued the identity of Luxemburgers between French and German that you're looking for origins and influences not for an actual monolithic definition, because they obviously are none of the two.

I've tried to draw some coordinates on the linguistic situation in the area in the early Middle Ages and to point out the persistence of linguistic Romanic lements. Then as I've said the Germanization stretched to the border mentioned above. The Ltzeburgesch, no doubt, a German dialect was formed. However, even in the modern age, being at the border between Germanic and Romance languages (dialects), the Romance influences (from standard French or from other Romance dialects - like the one from Lorraine) were significant on the language. That not to say that the elite of the duchy of Luxembourg was actually French speaking until the 19th century. And I believe French was also the official language until a certain date. gcle maybe can tell you more on these topics.

I do not understand on what grounds your perspective on ancient populations is bulit. Romans fought Gauls in the actual French territory, not in Southern Germany. It is certain the Alemanni hold for a while Worms. It is certain Franks defeated Alemanni at Tolbiac (actually there were several conflicts between them, and I'm thinking now only during the reign of Clovis). I've just drawn a line through Palatinate from south-east to north-west. I can't give you know an accurate map of Alemannic certain presence in the Palatinate but I am certain the border between Franks and Alemanni is hard to be drawn, not only because is not very easily detected, but because is unstable and in many regions the Frankish and the Alemannic presence is mixed.

As for their stability, many linguistical maps of the ancient world are drawn based on toponymy. Which means that if a group succeeded to imprint a lasting name on a place they once inhabited, I think it can be considered stable enough, don't you? 
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 16:24
of course Luxemburgers are neither French nor German - now. Luxemburg elite speaking French doesn't really proove anything, French was the language of the European nobility since the times of Louis XIV and Luxemburg was part of France anyways. yes, Alemans did live in Worms but you will not find anyone from Worms who will say he is Alemanni or just in part. from what i can see Alemanni were displaced from those areas to the north and went further south, colonizing Swiss Alps. also, does the battle of Chalons imply that the people of Champagne are descedants of Huns? you cannot say Chalons was just an incursion but Tolbiac not, whats the difference? afterall Huns somehow showed up in Europe so you can't say every campaign was just a raid and no migration. Alemanni have occupied Luxemburg territory so what? where's the evidence of colonization? shall i claim that Chalons is a Hunnish city, what would you say other than call me an idiot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>