Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankreich & Allemagne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankreich & Allemagne
    Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 05:00
Historically, the French and the Germans are the same people. The Carolingian state was divided between Charles the bald, Lothar and Louis the German. Lothars' state became the disputed area of Alsalce-Lorraine and other boarderlands, whilst Charles's became France, and Louis the Germans' well, Germany. What does this whole debate about Luxemburg achieve? Just because they speak French, it doesn't mean that they can be considered either French or German. Cultures grow and change - you can't always trace back to the roots and place them in old categories. I would agree with Temujin's quote:

of course Luxemburgers are neither French nor German - now. Luxemburg elite speaking French doesn't really proove anything, French was the language of the European nobility since the times of Louis XIV and Luxemburg was part of France anyways
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 07:38

Double post

Edited by gcle2003 - 14-Sep-2007 at 07:40
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 07:40
Originally posted by gcle2003

[QUOTE=Temujin]obviously the term "occupation" completely evades your mind here. there were no Alemanni settlers in Luxemburg whatsoever (ditto northern italy & central france despite battles being fought there) which means Luxemburger are and were not Alemanni EVER. end of story. if you go on i take it as a personal insult.

Take away.

Nothing I've said has been in the least bit insulting to anyone. It's not an insult to disagree with someone.

I don't see any reason to get heated over this whatsoever. What difference does it make whether the people who think the Alamanni settled in this area are right or wrong?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 07:52
Chilbudios, I don't think I disagree with anything in your last post. However, in the previous one you did refer to Luxembourg being in the Romance area 'in the early middle ages', while the map in its version of the 'early middle ages' has Luxembourg in the Germanic area. I accept that you meant something different by 'early middle ages' than the map compiler did (and in fact I'd agree with you rather than him. The end of the western empire comes right in the middle of the time we are talking about, which means I suppose that this is the cusp between the classical period and the middle ages).

And yes, at the time in question I'd agree that the area was very mixed linguistically, ethnically and culturally. Indeed that is really my point.

Do you think the Franks at this time were in the Romance or Germanic lingusitic group (or were already transient)?

PS Incidentally, Luxembourg today has three official languages, French, German and Ltzebuergesch. Most official announcements also come out in Portuguese, since something like 1 in 5 of the present population is Portuguese or of Portuguese descent.

Edited by gcle2003 - 14-Sep-2007 at 08:26
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 08:22

Originally posted by Temujin

Luxemburgers are German, not French. what makes them French? nothing. Romans are not French, neither Gauls. Celts (Gauls) originate from Southern Germany, so thats no proove for "Frenchness" even though some people (for reason of language i guess) equal Gauls with modern French.
I don't see how that's relevant to anything. The 'French' are as mixed a race as the English.  There are several German tribes in their heritage as well as Gauls. The issue is what kinds of 'German' settled in the Luxembourg area. There weren't any 'French' at the time. 
Franks are ancestors of parts of French people and parts of German people, thats the only connection. if Luxemburgers would be Alemanni that would mean Palatinate and a whole lot of the Rhineland would be Alemanni too, which is inaccurate.
You don't seem able to distinguish where peoples were at various times, and where they ended up. The Alamanni certainly held a great deal of the Rhineland up at least to the confluence with the Moselle, wherever they ended up eventually.
it is obvioulsy Frankish. i don't see whats the point of trying to make the Luxemburgers Alemanni other than the "prestige" attained to that tribe.
What 'prestige'? If anything the most prestigious element in Luxembourgish ancestry are the Treveri.
furthermore theres no eivdence either that the Alemanni remained in those northern settlements.
Except that pretty well everywhere when a people migrate, some of them stay behind. Even when a population is 'displaced' or 'expelled' its rare for complete ethnic cleansing to take place. That's why the English for instance have such a large Celtic (pace Paul) component in their heritage.
 this is the inconsitency with gcle. he uses displacment and settlement interchangably as he whishes. if it pleases his theory, they made a migratory movement. if it pleases his theory, they only made an incursion. if it pleases his theory, people were displacend and replaced by others. just look at his biased comment on the Huns.
Whether you like it or not, the German tribes settled in Western Europe, and the Huns didn't. The movement of the tribes was part of a massive series of migrations: the movements of the Huns weren't. That's not bias. It's simply true.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 12:23
gcle, though I started my contribution in this thread by correcting some aspects of the conquest of Trier by Franks, I am not writing here especially to disagree, but also to build a perspective based on my knowledge and understanding and in dialogue also to enlarge it from what other people write.
I apologize for the confusion of using the same "early Middle Ages" syntagms but with slightly different meanings. I have used it to avoid repeating a text like "end of 5th, beginning of 6th century". But the paper I've linked obviously refers vaguely to the entire period, leaving only the common sense to imagine the transition occuring in the linguistical "conquest" of the Germanic populations. The start is however the beginning of the 5th century, as border (1) is explicitely said to be the Roman limes and we know when it fell.

Franks is rather a political name than an actual ethnonym. Like many other invading armies their numbers were in minority comparing with the populations inhabiting the territories they conquered. In the 5th century and even during Clovis they were ruled by several kings, with relatively small armies (few thousands probably - Peter Brown says that in Reims, Clovis brought his army of about 3000 men to get Christianized and these men represented the "Frankish nation", he also adds that some of them could have been ex-Romans finding a better future as soldiers in some barbarian king's service than peasants working the land). Also their relative quick expansion to Loire, and after that in Burgundy and Aquitaine obviously made this warring elite suddenly controlling quite a large territory. Their assimilation was inevitable.

Temujin, we don't find anyone in Europe being now Gaul, Frankish, Alemann, Roman or anything but French, German, Luxemburger, etc. Also this colonization you're emphasizing it's not such a big deal, it's just people willing to settle. The Hunnic army probably left some remnants along their long campaign, but their army, like most armies in that time was actually ethnical mixed (probably the most part of it were formed by Germanic people like Goths or Burgundians).

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 12:49
i'm taking this serious because 1. i AM Swabian-Alemannic and 2. there are some freaks on the web who claim stuff like Alemanni at one point unified all of Germany (German tribes) under Arminius (Hermann as they call him inaccurately) and other nationalist stuff like that. btw, today, there are still Franks & Alemanni today. something like German as an ethnical term does not exist in fact (as opposed to French). modern Germany was never subject to a single ruler and centralized in the same way as France until the 3. Reich. of course there was a "german unification movement" in the 19th century, which should however more accurately be called pan-german nationalists. of course if i say i'm alemanni that doesn't mean i'm pure allemanni because we have hard evidence of Celtic, Roman and Alemanni presence here, as opposed to Luxemburg.

Except that pretty well everywhere when a people migrate, some of them stay behind. Even when a population is 'displaced' or 'expelled' its rare for complete ethnic cleansing to take place.

tell that to the Steppe tribes that inhabited modern Ukriane & Southern Russia or to the natives of New England...i'm really not in the mood in further debatting about your inaccurate non-violent perception of history...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 12:55
tell that to the Steppe tribes that inhabited modern Ukriane & Southern Russia or to the natives of New England...i'm really not in the mood in further debatting about your inaccurate non-violent perception of history...
Let's speak about Ukraine, how do you know it was displacement and not assimilation?
I don't think it's about a non-violent history, but a history with more complex phenomena, where populations are not individuals or heroes or other mythological characters which fight each other, one dies and one lives further to fight other challanges.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 12:59
because Ukraine is overhwelmignly Slavic while it was inhabited by Turkic tribes for centuries. look at the Crimean Khanate which alone was really long time around there and even nowadays the Turkic element of the Crimea is really negligable.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 15:32
Some odds and ends:
Another not irrelevant link:
Alamanni: early on was part of the Suebian federation of Germanic tribes, along with the Marcomanni, Hermunduri and Quadi. A germanic tribe springing "from their Elbian homelands". The Aleman horsemen were first sighted by the Romans in 213 AD. In 233 AD they overran the empty Roman limes forts, reached the Saar and Moselle Rivers in the west and Lake Constance in the south. Also settled in the Middle Elbe (time?). Aleman raids in 242, 253, 254 AD. Also 259, 260 AD in Raetia and Mediolanum (Milan). Franks defeated the Alemans in 496 or 497 AD at Tolbiacum/Zuelpich. Coupled with Franks expansion in the sixth century AD, forced the Alemanni into territory between Alsace in the wet and the River Lech in the east; to the south they crossed the Rhine and Lake Constance, into Alpine river valleys. There is a huge Aleman cemetery at Schretzheim. Alemannic place names ending in ingen, heim, statt and weil were settled between the 5th-7th centuries AD, while endings in dorf, stetten, hifen, weiler, bach, beuren, hausen, wang and felden were founded after 700 AD [Source: "Tools, Weapons..." by Herbert Schutz (2001 Brill Publ.) at pages 54-61].
Note: Saar and Moselle.

Some reason for Luxembourgers believing what they do might be these quotes from a standard textbook in schools here.

(I thought scanning would be easier than copying. Boy was I wrong.)

While its a standard textbook here, it's not a Luxembourg textbook. It's published by Verlag Moritz Diesterweg of Frankfurt, Berlin and Munich. ( http://www.diesterweg.de/ )

Finally a couple of maps from the Penguin Atlas of World History.

It seems to me totally incredible that the Alamanni, in occupation of the right bank of the middle Rhine, wouldn't crosss it in a century or so, and nor would they move downstream from their occupied territory on the left bank.

Until of course they were stopped by the Franks.

Why would that stretch of the left bank be left alone by the migrating Germans?

I also can't see why on earth anyone would somehow find it insulting to the Alamanni to say that they did move into the Lorraine plateau and the Moselle valley, if it's OK for them to have moved into Alsace.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 17:07
none of the (German) passages you posted say anything about the settlements in modern Luxemburg. "nahmen Elsa (Alsace), Schweiz (Switzerland) und das Voralpenland (=southwest germany) in Besitz". no mention of Saar and Moselle area. the second scan even mentions: "die [Alemannen] vom Ober- und Mittelrhein nach Gallien vordrangen."  = they [Alemanni] entered Gallia from the upper and middle rhine. so it confirms that they crossed the rhine into modern Luxemburg, because Gallia = west of the rhine. that prooves they were not native to the area.

I also have the Penguin Atlas, but it's not always accurate, please post the maps of the Hun empire which includes all of Eastern Europe as a reference for reliability...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 06:44

none of the (German) passages you posted say anything about the settlements in modern Luxemburg. "nahmen Elsa (Alsace), Schweiz (Switzerland) und das Voralpenland (=southwest germany) in Besitz". no mention of Saar and Moselle area.
I put that in to establish that in the third century the Alamanni were already across the upper Rhine, and therefore in a position to move downstream well before the 5th century. A couple of hundred kilometres isn't much over two hundred years.

the second scan even mentions: "die [Alemannen] vom Ober- und Mittelrhein nach Gallien vordrangen."  = they [Alemanni] entered Gallia from the upper and middle rhine. so it confirms that they crossed the rhine into modern Luxemburg, because Gallia = west of the rhine. that prooves they were not native to the area.
But that is exactly what I have been saying. They crossed the middle Rhine into historic Luxembourg (and throughout I've been saying historic Luxembourg, not modern Luxembourg). I never claimed they were native to the area - that would be silly. My whole point is that they migrated into it - either across the middle Rhine (as this quotation says, and you now accept) or downstream from Alsace - before being pushed out by the Franks.

I also have the Penguin Atlas, but it's not always accurate, please post the maps of the Hun empire which includes all of Eastern Europe as a reference for reliability...
You mean this one:

(I got this far, but I'm getting 'access denied' on trying to insert the map. it's at http://www.cleverley.org/images/scannedmap4.jpg )
If you mean this one I accept it shows Burgundians AND Alamanni in the area, which is true at the outset of the 5th century, though the Burgundians were just passing through on their way to southern Gaul (as the dates on the map indicate).

What was your point?

Also take a look at the series of maps of the Frankish areas on p120, which are at http://www.cleverley.org/images/scannedmap5.jpg.
Not until 486 do they show the Franks in control of the area in question - at 460 they aren't there yet, which is in accord with what I've said. Granted these maps don't show who WAS in the area, but the Burgundians are - correctly - shown far to the south already, and who else was there around?

Granted maps on this scale aren't going to be very accurate, when they all point to more or less the same situation it has to mean something. The same is true of the other sources I've given you. They may be inaccurate or untrustworthy and they may not prove anything absolutely, but they all add up to a probability, especially when there is no evidence at all that contradicts them.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 07:27
because Ukraine is overhwelmignly Slavic while it was inhabited by Turkic tribes for centuries. look at the Crimean Khanate which alone was really long time around there and even nowadays the Turkic element of the Crimea is really negligable.
 In ancient times Ukraine was more probably inhabited by people speaking Slavic and Iranian languages than Turkic. Such populations like the Sarmathians are mentioned until the late Empire. Some of the later Turkic elements which got into Ukraine though survived even until today, as you can see the Gagauz in the southern Moldova and the southwestern Ukraine. Their survival as an enclave, their Christian religion, rather suggests it is about assimilation.
Also to assimilation point the archaeological evidence, when it reveals no signs of massive large-scale destructions on the contrary, in many settlements continuous habitation.
Then the history brings another argument. It is hard to believe that the transition from Iranian speaking populations to Slavic and Turkic speaking populations was done through mass extermination or displacement as we know no strong centralized political body to be capable of such an action on a wide scale at the times of the presumed event, not to say that we don't have any evidence of an ideology or a problem that would justify the action. Killing/banishing just for the sake of it, it doesn't seem a plausible hypothesis.

Edited by Chilbudios - 15-Sep-2007 at 07:28
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 11:59

I put that in to establish that in the third century the Alamanni were already across the upper Rhine, and therefore in a position to move downstream well before the 5th century. A couple of hundred kilometres isn't much over two hundred years.

yeah? so why didn't they moved east or whatever? 100km is a lot unless you're on a migration spree or whatever you assume in the context of the great migrations. you pointed to now reasonable arguemtn why they shoudl move northwards from Alsace, it would have eben more plausible to move eastwards along the Danube if anyhting.

But that is exactly what I have been saying. They crossed the middle Rhine into historic Luxembourg (and throughout I've been saying historic Luxembourg, not modern Luxembourg). I never claimed they were native to the area - that would be silly. My whole point is that they migrated into it - either across the middle Rhine (as this quotation says, and you now accept) or downstream from Alsace - before being pushed out by the Franks.

no, where did i imply that? Alemanni presence in Alsace is established fact by archeaology, language & customs of the people there, Alemanni presence deeper in central France and Luxemburg etc is only from literary sources which implies that the impact was not deep = no occupation other than militarily.

You mean this one:

(I got this far, but I'm getting 'access denied' on trying to insert the map. it's at http://www.cleverley.org/images/scannedmap4.jpg )
If you mean this one I accept it shows Burgundians AND Alamanni in the area, which is true at the outset of the 5th century, though the Burgundians were just passing through on their way to southern Gaul (as the dates on the map indicate).

What was your point?

Also take a look at the series of maps of the Frankish areas on p120, which are at http://www.cleverley.org/images/scannedmap5.jpg.
Not until 486 do they show the Franks in control of the area in question - at 460 they aren't there yet, which is in accord with what I've said. Granted these maps don't show who WAS in the area, but the Burgundians are - correctly - shown far to the south already, and who else was there around?

Granted maps on this scale aren't going to be very accurate, when they all point to more or less the same situation it has to mean something. The same is true of the other sources I've given you. They may be inaccurate or untrustworthy and they may not prove anything absolutely, but they all add up to a probability, especially when there is no evidence at all that contradicts them.

no i meant the Hun map on page 112. anyways, the area in question seems clearly Frankish to me, if anything. check the map on page 120, which shows the area of Trier as Frankish already. it is obvious that there is a grey area between the Franks and Alemanni. the blank area does in no way imply that it was occupied by Alemanni, whats the evidence for that? with what tribes would you fill the rest of the blank areas?

you say that it is unlikely that the Alemanni didn't went there within 200 years. i say it is unlikely that the Alemanni went there and just mixed with the Romano-Gallic population established there since ~500 years. if there was any temporary Alemanni occupation of the area it doesn't validate to say that modern Luxemburgers are Franks and Alemanni.

and about Burgundians. it is said that Worms was their capital, the other map i posted shows Worms in Alemanni control. what are we supposed to believe? again and again and again: why do you say "the Burgundians just passed through" but keep going on saying the Alemanni migrated there?? it is obvious the Burgundians occupied an area in between the Franks and Alemanni before they were resettled in Gallia as Foederati, which explains the grey area in between the two. i understand the battle of Zlpich as a contest for control of this area, which the Franks won, which is why the area is Frankish and not Alemanni.

Edited by Temujin - 15-Sep-2007 at 12:18
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 12:16
Originally posted by Chilbudios

In ancient times Ukraine was more probably inhabited by people speaking Slavic and Iranian languages than Turkic.

nonono, the area of Ukriane that we talk about was not Slavic until after medieval times, i'm not talkign about western and northern ukriane but south and east ukraine. plus, we also know modern Kazakhstan was inhabited by Iranic Sakas but nowadays they are clearly Turkic.

Such populations like the Sarmathians are mentioned until the late Empire. Some of the later Turkic elements which got into Ukraine though survived even until today, as you can see the Gagauz in the southern Moldova and the southwestern Ukraine. Their survival as an enclave, their Christian religion, rather suggests it is about assimilation.

the only surviving Iranians are the Alans which survived in the Caucasus.

Also to assimilation point the archaeological evidence, when it reveals no signs of massive large-scale destructions on the contrary, in many settlements continuous habitation.

those are individual examples, it's well known that Greeks lived in cities in the Crimea and otehr blakc sea towns until the 19th century at least, but i'm talkign about the whoel area as such. i mean Lemberg/L'viv was a city inhabited by Poles but Galicia as a whole was inhabited by Ukrainians.

Then the history brings another argument. It is hard to believe that the transition from Iranian speaking populations to Slavic and Turkic speaking populations was done through mass extermination or displacement as we know no strong centralized political body to be capable of such an action on a wide scale at the times of the presumed event, not to say that we don't have any evidence of an ideology or a problem that would justify the action. Killing/banishing just for the sake of it, it doesn't seem a plausible hypothesis.

what are you talking about? many Steppe tribes vanished from history almost without trace, the Ukrainian/south Russian steppe was always a transition point for many tribes. you cannot generalize history like that. i mean why did some tribes made a lasting impression and others dissappeared almost without a trace? those events have to be carefully analized and examined. the pontic steppe was for most historical time onyl sparsely populated and steppe tribes retreat to other areas when being hard pressed rather than to submit to the newcomer. but we also have examples of assimilation and integration of nomads with urban popualtion, but you cannot draw a general rule from that. neither Iranians and Turkic people made a lasting impression on the pontic steppe, only in more recent times, under ekaterina II of russia was the pontic steppe populated by slavic and otehr settlers, i guess you heard of the famous Potemkins villages before.

Edited by Temujin - 15-Sep-2007 at 12:17
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 10:15

yeah? so why didn't they moved east or whatever? 100km is a lot unless you're on a migration spree or whatever you assume in the context of the great migrations. you pointed to now reasonable arguemtn why they shoudl move northwards from Alsace, it would have eben more plausible to move eastwards along the Danube if anyhting.
I didn't say they only moved north along the Rhine and/or west across it. What they did was spread out until someone stopped them: the Burgundians (see below) to the west, various tribes - Bavarians, Goths, Lombards to the east, the Romans and then the Goths to the south, and the Franks to the north. 

no, where did i imply that?
You wrote:

the second scan even mentions: "die [Alemannen] vom Ober- und Mittelrhein nach Gallien vordrangen."  = they [Alemanni] entered Gallia from the upper and middle rhine. so it confirms that they crossed the rhine into modern Luxemburg, because Gallia = west of the rhine.
That is accepting that they crossed the middle Rhine not just the upper Rhine.

They are certainly known to have crossed as far downstream as Mainz (in 406 if on no other occasion).

Alemanni presence in Alsace is established fact by archeaology, language & customs of the people there, Alemanni presence deeper in central France and Luxemburg etc is only from literary sources which implies that the impact was not deep = no occupation other than militarily.
There are certainly historical records of Alamanni presence in the Moselle valley, the Lorraine plateau and so on, though I wouldn't call that 'deeper in central France'. It's all on the edge of France, and indeed at times outside it. And where there is military presence there is usually to some degree (certainly in the time of the mass migrations) settlement. As far as language is concerned I don't think there are any Gaulish traces left in Ltzebuergesch but that doesn't mean present Luxembourg doesn't have a considerable Gaulish ancestry (as the English have Celtic ancestry).

For that matter how many people in Lombardy grow up speaking German?

You mean this one:

What was your point?

no i meant the Hun map on page 112.
That doesn't show anybody in the area. 

anyways, the area in question seems clearly Frankish to me, if anything. check the map on page 120, which shows the area of Trier as Frankish already.
As I already pointed out (I also gave the map) that was in 480. From the beginning I've pointed out that the Franks had control of Trier by then. The same map shows no Franks there in 460.

Part of my point all along is that when the Franks did take control, they did not actually eliminate all the Alamanni living there (or for that matter the Treveri and other Gauls who were still around).

it is obvious that there is a grey area between the Franks and Alemanni. the blank area does in no way imply that it was occupied by Alemanni, whats the evidence for that? with what tribes would you fill the rest of the blank areas?
Depends which other blank areas you are talking about. In this specific blank area I don't think there's much other choice. (For Burgundians and others see below.)

you say that it is unlikely that the Alemanni didn't went there within 200 years. i say it is unlikely that the Alemanni went there and just mixed with the Romano-Gallic population established there since ~500 years. if there was any temporary Alemanni occupation of the area it doesn't validate to say that modern Luxemburgers are Franks and Alemanni.
Well, the Alamanni, to say nothing of the Franks, Burgundians, Visigoths and Vandals (etc), were busily doing that elsewhere.

I'd even accept that the passing Burgundians and Vandals had some effect on the ancestry of the population of Luxembourg. So it goes.

and about Burgundians. it is said that Worms was their capital, the other map i posted shows Worms in Alemanni control. what are we supposed to believe? again and again and again: why do you say "the Burgundians just passed through" but keep going on saying the Alemanni migrated there?? it is obvious the Burgundians occupied an area in between the Franks and Alemanni before they were resettled in Gallia as Foederati, which explains the grey area in between the two.

Within less than a century, the Burgundians, a small tribe compared to the Alamanni, moved from the Vistula basin to the Rhone and southern France. They were established in the Worms area for about 20-30 years at the turn of the century (in the middle of the period of Alamanni occupation there.) That's what I meant by they 'passed through'. The Vandals had already done the same thing. The Vandals were moving even faster, since they crossed the frozen Rhine in 406 and in 409 were already crossing the Pyrenees.

i understand the battle of Zlpich as a contest for control of this area, which the Franks won, which is why the area is Frankish and not Alemanni.

The point is that up until the late 5th century the Alamanni were undoubtedly established
(a) on the right bank of the Rhine up to more or less the confluence of the Moselle and the Rhine.
(b) on the left bank of the Rhine in modern Alsace (probably also in modern Lorraine, though that may be more disputable)
(c) on the left bank of the Rhine west of Mainz.
In addition they were finally defeated by the Franks at modern Zlpich which is as far north as Lige and Aachen.

Plot those areas on a map and you get Alamanni presence in a big arc with a hole in the middle including the areas that have formed historic Luxembourg, at a time when no other major Germanic tribe was in the area. It seems to me likely to the point of obvious that the Alamanni would have filled the gap.

Incidentally I didn't know the Pennsylvania Dutch also claimed mixed descent from the Alamanni and the Franks.
Note the references to Lorraine as well as Alsace.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 12:39

nonono, the area of Ukriane that we talk about was not Slavic until after medieval times, i'm not talkign about western and northern ukriane but south and east ukraine. plus, we also know modern Kazakhstan was inhabited by Iranic Sakas but nowadays they are clearly Turkic.
You actually said Ukraine (not a specific area of it) and I've focused on an area where a Turkic group survived until today (the Gagauz). Though I've mentioned southwestern Ukraine, their habitation area is rather South than West, therefore I am not sure how your geographical specifications would render my example as irrelevant. Not to say that modern Kazakhstan does not even border Ukraine, therefore after reading this paragraph of yours I have no idea about what do you want to discuss about. For instance, there are Tatar groups living in many urban cities of Ukraine. Talking of which, there's a large group of Tatars in Donets region. As evidence for their assimilation, a significant percent of them (I don't know the real number) speaks or declares Russian/Ukrainian as mother tongue.
After Scythians and other such populations commonly believed to speak an Iranian language (like the Sarmathians) the first mentions of other populations in Ukraine are the Antes (possibly also the Sclavenes), Huns, Kutrigurs, Bulgars and the like which could mean a presence of both Slavic and Turkic elements (and possibly still the survival of some Iranian elements and Caucasian in the east). The scarcity of written sources and the rather non-convincing archaeological evidence cannot draw a border between these linguistical groups and certainly cannot estabilish a "primacy" in settling.

those are individual examples
All examples are individual, the general is always an inference. I haven't seen though any example (evidence) of extermination/displacement. When the Iranian and Turkic populations which lived in the territory of the actual Ukraine were mass-exterminated/banished? Chronicles, archaeological evidence, anything?

what are you talking about? many Steppe tribes vanished from history almost without trace, the Ukrainian/south Russian steppe was always a transition point for many tribes. you cannot generalize history like that. i mean why did some tribes made a lasting impression and others dissappeared almost without a trace? those events have to be carefully analized and examined. the pontic steppe was for most historical time onyl sparsely populated and steppe tribes retreat to other areas when being hard pressed rather than to submit to the newcomer. but we also have examples of assimilation and integration of nomads with urban popualtion, but you cannot draw a general rule from that. neither Iranians and Turkic people made a lasting impression on the pontic steppe, only in more recent times, under ekaterina II of russia was the pontic steppe populated by slavic and otehr settlers, i guess you heard of the famous Potemkins villages before.
I don't think you actually understood my point. I don't deny they vanished,  I deny they were exterminated/forcefully moved in a general fashion. I deny the main drive behind the change of languages or cultures is the killing and the exile. I say they were rather culturally assimilated, especially in the earlier epochs, as it's impossible to imagine any systematized cleansing of a territory lacking a proper political control (there are mass exiles in the modern era like that of Circassians, which inhabited also territories in the actual Ukraine).

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 14:23

I didn't say they only moved north along the Rhine and/or west across it. What they did was spread out until someone stopped them: the Burgundians (see below) to the west, various tribes - Bavarians, Goths, Lombards to the east, the Romans and then the Goths to the south, and the Franks to the north.

i don't believe in any vacuum and/or domino theory whatsoever. its not that all Germanic tribes flooded into Gaul like an unstoppable wave of water. it is impossible that tribes which have a small population especially in ancient times can occupy areas as large as that, furthermore as evident with the duchy of Syagryus it is impossible that the natives ex-Roman citizens didn't established a form of self government, especially in larger cities. as seen on your map, it was only the Franks, the Westgoths, the Burgundians and the Alemanni only in small part which occupied territory in Gaul, and it is factual that they didn't occupied all of the territory.

That is accepting that they crossed the middle Rhine not just the upper Rhine.

yes they also crossed the Alps into Lombardy, which i admit to.

There are certainly historical records of Alamanni presence in the Moselle valley, the Lorraine plateau and so on, though I wouldn't call that 'deeper in central France'. It's all on the edge of France, and indeed at times outside it. And where there is military presence there is usually to some degree (certainly in the time of the mass migrations) settlement. As far as language is concerned I don't think there are any Gaulish traces left in Ltzebuergesch but that doesn't mean present Luxembourg doesn't have a considerable Gaulish ancestry (as the English have Celtic ancestry).

For that matter how many people in Lombardy grow up speaking German?

with central france i mean the locations of battles like Lingones and Reims.

there are no German speakers in Italy, there are also no German speakers in Germany. everyone in Germany speaks a certain dialect even though in the age of mass media ever more children grow up speaking high-german as mother tongue. I already posted a map of the Alemanni language border and Luxemburg is by far not part of it. as for Italy, there are Alemanni speakers in the Aosta valley. besides, later Germanic tribes didn't contested themselves in languages, they just replaced each others, sometimes with a couple of words remaining. but in our case Alemanni tongue and Frankish tongue are in direct contrast. they can only speak either one of it and Luxemburgers speak an obvious Frankish dialect.

That doesn't show anybody in the area. 

in that case you cannot read maps correctly. the map shows Hun presence in all of eastern europe and as you corretcly pointed out "no one else". this points at the difficulty at locating a certain tribe, even as well-known and dominant as the Huns to a specific location. we know of the campaigns of the Husn and according to your theory most of eastern europe shoudl claim Hun heritage "because they were there once and fought a battle there"...

Part of my point all along is that when the Franks did take control, they did not actually eliminate all the Alamanni living there (or for that matter the Treveri and other Gauls who were still around).

Ok then explain to me why the Frankish duchy of the Alemans did not include Luxemburg but only territory that are still Alemanni today? since Fransk controlled most of modern France and Germany and the countries inbetween there would have been no problem to establish the duchy in ethncially appropriate borders. or why did they have set up such a duchy at all, and not establsihed their own, random provincial borders if people really mixed as strong as you suggest back then?

Well, the Alamanni, to say nothing of the Franks, Burgundians, Visigoths and Vandals (etc), were busily doing that elsewhere.

I'd even accept that the passing Burgundians and Vandals had some effect on the ancestry of the population of Luxembourg. So it goes.

bleh. according to your argumentation half of europe should claim German ancestry on the context of ww2.

Within less than a century, the Burgundians, a small tribe compared to the Alamanni, moved from the Vistula basin to the Rhone and southern France. They were established in the Worms area for about 20-30 years at the turn of the century (in the middle of the period of Alamanni occupation there.) That's what I meant by they 'passed through'. The Vandals had already done the same thing. The Vandals were moving even faster, since they crossed the frozen Rhine in 406 and in 409 were already crossing the Pyrenees.

we also know of migratory movements of the Cimbri and Teutons which moved through a lot of areas and eventually were slaughtered wholesale by the Romans including women & children (or comitted suicide). anyways, we know exactly that this tribe extinguished and i'm not going to believe they litterally f**ked their way through Germany, the Alps, northern Italy and southern France leaving their traces all along the way. especially if we considder that they took their womenfolk and children with them all the time. leavign old and sick behidn is negligible sicne no sane person would have copulated with a sick or old person from a foreign tribe.

The point is that up until the late 5th century the Alamanni were undoubtedly established
(a) on the right bank of the Rhine up to more or less the confluence of the Moselle and the Rhine.
(b) on the left bank of the Rhine in modern Alsace (probably also in modern Lorraine, though that may be more disputable)
(c) on the left bank of the Rhine west of Mainz.
In addition they were finally defeated by the Franks at modern Zlpich which is as far north as Lige and Aachen.

(c) is incorrect, they were present there but not established:

Plot those areas on a map and you get Alamanni presence in a big arc with a hole in the middle including the areas that have formed historic Luxembourg, at a time when no other major Germanic tribe was in the area. It seems to me likely to the point of obvious that the Alamanni would have filled the gap.

no, i think the wikipedia map was pretty good in showing 1. the actual area of Alemanni tribal settlement and 2. the maximum range of military camapigns outside their territory. if you look at the battle of Zlpich, Reims and Pavia, you get a pretty clear idea what the limits of Alemanni reach were, they are all appx. the same distacne from the Alemanni heartland. i mean come on, do you think Alemanni can't expand beyond their own territory militarcially...?

Incidentally I didn't know the Pennsylvania Dutch also claimed mixed descent from the Alamanni and the Franks.
Note the references to Lorraine as well as Alsace.

i would be positively surprised if they can even locate their own village of origin, left alone their precise ancestry from ancient times....

Edited by Temujin - 16-Sep-2007 at 14:26
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 14:47
Originally posted by Chilbudios

You actually said Ukraine (not a specific area of it) and I've focused on an area where a Turkic group survived until today (the Gagauz). Though I've mentioned southwestern Ukraine, their habitation area is rather South than West, therefore I am not sure how your geographical specifications would render my example as irrelevant.

youc an check my original message, i said Ukraine AND southern Russia,a dn i mentioned Turkic tribes, i think that gives a good impression that i'm talking about the Steppe area and not modern political entities.

Not to say that modern Kazakhstan does not even border Ukraine, therefore after reading this paragraph of yours I have no idea about what do you want to discuss about.

it was you who brought up Scythians & irianian elements, other than that migration into urkaine happened mostly from the central asian steppe, so you cannot ignore the area of modern kazakhstan in this discussion.

For instance, there are Tatar groups living in many urban cities of Ukraine. Talking of which, there's a large group of Tatars in Donets region. As evidence for their assimilation, a significant percent of them (I don't know the real number) speaks or declares Russian/Ukrainian as mother tongue.

you need 19th cenutry sources & evidence, after Communism everyone had to speak Russian and Communists did resettle a lot of people during and after ww2.

After Scythians and other such populations commonly believed to speak an Iranian language (like the Sarmathians) the first mentions of other populations in Ukraine are the Antes (possibly also the Sclavenes), Huns, Kutrigurs, Bulgars and the like which could mean a presence of both Slavic and Turkic elements (and possibly still the survival of some Iranian elements and Caucasian in the east). The scarcity of written sources and the rather non-convincing archaeological evidence cannot draw a border between these linguistical groups and certainly cannot estabilish a "primacy" in settling.

Bulgars only became slavic after settling beyond the Danube. the other tribes you mentioned were Turkic or did not lived on the steppe.

All examples are individual, the general is always an inference. I haven't seen though any example (evidence) of extermination/displacement. When the Iranian and Turkic populations which lived in the territory of the actual Ukraine were mass-exterminated/banished? Chronicles, archaeological evidence, anything?

as i said, when pressured Steppe tribes are more likely to retreat rather than to stay and be assimilated, also Steppe tribes never were much populous. the only significant border in modern Ukraine is between Galicia and the rest of Ukraine, and thats not the border bewteen slavs and turkic people. so since the people on both sides of the old border are identical, it is logical to assume that no mixing took part, otherwise there would be slight differences.

I don't think you actually understood my point. I don't deny they vanished,  I deny they were exterminated/forcefully moved in a general fashion. I deny the main drive behind the change of languages or cultures is the killing and the exile. I say they were rather culturally assimilated, especially in the earlier epochs, as it's impossible to imagine any systematized cleansing of a territory lacking a proper political control (there are mass exiles in the modern era like that of Circassians, which inhabited also territories in the actual Ukraine).

from what you wrote i take it you don't know what assimilation means. what you described is (forceful) converting of other cultures to another culture. assimilation means merging of two cultures = creation of a new culture with elements of both, NOT the extinction of one culture in favour of another one, what you said above. Bulgars are a perfect example of assimialtion, you can still clearly see Turkic elements. compare that to Ukraines and you get your own answer: Ukraine is NOT turkic, therefore no assimilation but displacing...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 15:55
youc an check my original message, i said Ukraine AND southern Russia,a dn i mentioned Turkic tribes, i think that gives a good impression that i'm talking about the Steppe area and not modern political entities.
Actually you said modern Ukraine (which to me is a reference to the state bearing the same name) and southern Russia (which is rather vague, as it stretches for a real long distance) and from these two I said that I want to talk about Ukraine. Gagauz are the today remnants of a Turkic population. A large part of the territory the modern Ukraine is the north Pontic steppes. So here you have them all: modern Ukraine, Turkic populations, steppes.

it was you who brought up Scythians & irianian elements, other than that migration into urkaine happened mostly from the central asian steppe, so you cannot ignore the area of modern kazakhstan in this discussion.
I brought them up as ancient inhabitants of the modern Ukraine. You haven't brought any evidence on how these processes went, so before starting other comparisions, at least give the evidences and illustrate the process which you consider in Ukraine to prove your point.

you need 19th cenutry sources & evidence, after Communism everyone had to speak Russian and Communists did resettle a lot of people during and after ww2.
"Had to speak" is cultural assimilation not killing. Resettling happened a lot, you have to address resettlements that marked an entire ethnic group and caused its disparition. Even the modern resettlements are not responsible entirely for the steady decline of Turkic languages in the territory of Ukraine.
But beyond these, there's an entire history of the Ukrainian territory since the ancient times until 19th century which you are not addressing. You have brought Ukraine to illustrate the preponderence of killing and forceful migration in changing a language, you have to show that most of its history and its several changings of language (that's why I have started with Iranian speakers) is supporting your theory. Me and gcle have talked about preponderence of cultural assimilation, which means we don't mind exceptions. I am not saying all the changes in language happened through assimilation, but most of them.

Bulgars only became slavic after settling beyond the Danube. the other tribes you mentioned were Turkic or did not lived on the steppe.
I did not say Bulgars were Slavic, I was refering to Antes which are commonly held to be a population speaking a Slavic language (and possibly mixed with Iranian elements).

as i said, when pressured Steppe tribes are more likely to retreat rather than to stay and be assimilated, also Steppe tribes never were much populous. the only significant border in modern Ukraine is between Galicia and the rest of Ukraine, and thats not the border bewteen slavs and turkic people. so since the people on both sides of the old border are identical, it is logical to assume that no mixing took part, otherwise there would be slight differences.
My example were the Gagauz and the Tatars, groups for which I know they were partially assimilated. I have acquaintances which had Tatars as grandparents or grandgrandparents and they are now of Romanian, Russian, or Bulgarian ethnicity. There were Tatars which are known historically to get assimilated in the Romanian (at that time Wallachian or Moldavian) or Ukrainian (at that time Russian or Polish) aristocracy.

from what you wrote i take it you don't know what assimilation means. what you described is (forceful) converting of other cultures to another culture. assimilation means merging of two cultures = creation of a new culture with elements of both, NOT the extinction of one culture in favour of another one, what you said above. Bulgars are a perfect example of assimialtion, you can still clearly see Turkic elements. compare that to Ukraines and you get your own answer: Ukraine is NOT turkic, therefore no assimilation but displacing...
Often in assimilation the elements of one culture disappear. This is the phenomenon which happened also to Luxemburgers.
The Turkic elements from Bulgaria are related rather to the Ottoman domination which was over Bulgaria for centuries. Ukraina also have Turkic (Tatar) elements, which are easily perceivable, especially in areas like Crimea or Budjak (southern Ukraine, that is).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>