Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Taiwan
    Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:54
Originally posted by YanWang

there was no a state named taiwan or found by taiwan's aborinals either in history or today, but taiwan is still a chinese island now. People from taiwan should better not promote those thoughts based on independence to damage interest of whole chinese nationals. According to international conventions, China has its right to reponse to those people in a civil war either peacefully or not. Some taiwan people say the inependence is for taiwan people's interest, but they never think that it endangers the interests of the whole chinese world. so chinese people will do anything to protect taiwan province. 

See, there it goes again?  What did I just say...

There are always racist people out there.  The aboriginals have states.  It's the colonialists such as the Chinese people that didn't view them as human, so disregard their rightful claim to their own lands! 

It's the Chinese, Japanese and the Dutch drove these people off their lands, force them into labor when they are needed, and then kill them when they are inconvinient.

This is the same thing Americans did to the Native Americans.  It's the same thing that Spanish did to the Native Latin Americans.  It is aboriginals' land.  They had societies established all the way back to 6000 years ago.

It's 2004! Stop being such a colonialist!

Edited by hansioux
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:58

I have a question(sry if it was adressed before)

I thought that Taiwan was labled as "barbaric state" by Tang.  I thought It were the dutch who officially started claiming it as theirs....

Why is China now trying to claim something regarded by themselves at that time as barbaric and unworthy now?  Becasue it is worthy after all?  Any comment appreciated.

Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 15:04

Hey demon,

People like you played too much Age of Empires.    You gotta quit thinking like this is 1200.  PRC isn't Tang.  And the values of things change.  Hong Kong used to be a fisherman port.  Now it a bustling city, a jungle of concrete, with a transportation system so convenient that most people don't even bother to drive.  South Korea also used to be the less developed counterpart of North Korea, but look at it now.  And since when do expansionists refuse to acquire a land because they deem it "barbaric?"  They would take it in a jiffy.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 15:05
Originally posted by demon

I have a question(sry if it was adressed before)

I thought that Taiwan was labled as "barbaric state" by Tang.  I thought It were the dutch who officially started claiming it as theirs....

Why is China now trying to claim something regarded by themselves at that time as barbaric and unworthy now?  Becasue it is worthy after all?  Any comment appreciated.

Actually Tang dynasty never reached Taiwan.  But you bring up a good point.

There are 2 historical reords, recording that Wu of the Three kingdom period and the Suei right before Tang (maybe that's what you mean) have sent soldiers eastwards.  They found a bunch of islands and captured thousands of natives.  Then they left and never returned.

The names of these places were i{ (The state of Yi, yeah, same as Dong-Yi) and [y (Ryukyu).  There is no proof that these two places were Taiwan.  In fact both these places were just a rush reference to the whole bunch of islands they visited.

And I don't exactly consider slave capturing to be claiming a piece of land either.  Especially when they don't even remember where these places were.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 15:09

Hey Hansioux,

But it's not like land acquisition means anything.  Even if Tang acquired Taiwan, as far as we're concerned, PRC ain't Tang.  God didn't inscribe in stones in Taiwan saying that it formally belongs to China.  If I were you I wouldn't play the game in Mainland's way cuz it makes no sense.  There almost isn't a country in this world that doesn't rest on some land that they took from others.  Can we ask the US to give back all the lands to the Native Americans, or at least give California back to Mexico?  The US would never do that, and not that many people want to anyway.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 15:23
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Hansioux,

But it's not like land acquisition means anything.  Even if Tang acquired Taiwan, as far as we're concerned, PRC ain't Tang.  God didn't inscribe in stones in Taiwan saying that it formally belongs to China.  If I were you I wouldn't play the game in Mainland's way cuz it makes no sense.  There almost isn't a country in this world that doesn't rest on some land that they took from others.  Can we ask the US to give back all the lands to the Native Americans, or at least give California back to Mexico?  The US would never do that, and not that many people want to anyway.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Thanks, my point exactly.

In fact the only means for any nation to aquire another land peacefully is either one of the follwoing:

1.  International law and treaty requires so.

2.  It is the will of the people of the land being aquired.

For the case of China claiming Taiwan.  It is neither.

That is way the leaders of China had to keep going back to stress the point of history and blood relationships in every interview that they give to foreign reporters.

warhead, you know why China don't claim Taiwan in the internation courts saying the reason is of blood?  Because they can't!  That's something Hitler did and we all know what happened.

Besides, I never mentioned that.  You keep twisting your own words.

hansioux

"The Chinese government did not just say the land is a apart of china. They taught their children saying they are all historically Chinese in both blood and culture. Here the word  "they" can be changed from Uyghurs, Tibetans, Taiwanese and any other "Chinese and always has beens"."

warhead

No they haven't, find me a source that the PRC claim taiwan based on blood, all of them is clearly based on international treaty and the international law of possession.

Your "No they haven't" reply is negating that I said above.  And I have found proof for you.  It's about time that you find proof to prove me wrong.

Edited by hansioux
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 15:49

"I am sorry, in the Taipei treaty, NOTHING was said about Japan giving Taiwan to the Republic of CHina.  It was simply a peace treaty between the ROC and Japan.  Also restated that Japan give up control over Taiwan but did not say which nation Taiwan belongs to. 

If you want to prove me wrong, I welcome you go find the Taipei treaty and read it for yourself.  Because I surely have.  And I am tired to be the only one posting real facts here"

You misinterpreted my quoet once again, I never said the taibei treay claimed such, but it did give Taiwan to ROC as the result. And as I said its rightly China's since one of international judgment of soverignty is the owning of it in history for a length of time. Thus when Japan gave it up, it rightly belonged to China.

"There are always racist people out there.  The aboriginals have states.  It's the colonialists such as the Chinese people that didn't view them as human, so disregard their rightful claim to their own lands! 

It's the Chinese, Japanese and the Dutch drove these people off their lands, force them into labor when they are needed, and then kill them when they are inconvinient."

Do tell me when the Chinese have killed them after its occupation.

"In fact the only means for any nation to aquire another land peacefully is either one of the follwoing:

1.  International law and treaty requires so.

2.  It is the will of the people of the land being aquired.

For the case of China claiming Taiwan.  It is neither."

In fact international law does legalize China's claim as already pointed out. And seond the majority of the people at that time is indifferent just that they get rid of Japanese influence.

"Your "No they haven't" reply is negating that I said above.  And I have found proof for you.  It's about time that you find proof to prove me wrong."

You already disproved your own statement, "herewarhead, you know why China don't claim Taiwan in the internation courts saying the reason is of blood?  Because they can't!  That's something Hitler did and we all know what happened."

China never claimed Taiwan based on blood, what Jiang is not a claim its a talk and nothing more. You confuse a claim to a discussion and there is a difference.

"The aboriginals have states.  It's the colonialists such as the Chinese people that didn't view them as human, so disregard their rightful claim to their own lands! "

Great, that still doesn't change the fact there is no country called taiwan, just an island filled with different aborigines.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 03:18
Originally posted by warhead

You misinterpreted my quoet once again, I never said the taibei treay claimed such, but it did give Taiwan to ROC as the result. And as I said its rightly China's since one of international judgment of soverignty is the owning of it in history for a length of time. Thus when Japan gave it up, it rightly belonged to China.

It did not give Taiwan to ROC as a result.  ROC unlawfully took Taiwan before the treaty.  The treaty is only a peace treaty.  And it stated that Japan no longer claims the ownership of Taiwan and its islands.  It does not give the island to anyone.  And by such time, the government that's named ROC does not own anypart of China.  Nor does government of China at anytime "rightfuly" owns Taiwan at any point after the Shimoniseki treaty.

If there is, please prove it with documents, and not blabbering.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 03:21

China never claimed Taiwan based on blood, what Jiang is not a claim its a talk and nothing more. You confuse a claim to a discussion and there is a difference.

I don't want to play word games.  But once again, in my original post, I did not use the word claim.  You are just argueing with yourself here.

General_Zhaoyun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote General_Zhaoyun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 04:57
You should check out this thread on the dispute of Taiwan

http://s7.invisionfree.com/China_History_Forum/index.php?s howtopic=283

Edited by General_Zhaoyun
Founder of China History Forum
General_Zhaoyun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote General_Zhaoyun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 04:59
I think, it was the chinese who first 'discovered' Taiwan . It was mentioned as "Yizhou" in 3 kingdoms history text 'Sanguozhi".
Founder of China History Forum
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 05:19
Originally posted by hansioux

Originally posted by YanWang

there was no a state named taiwan or found by taiwan's aborinals either in history or today, but taiwan is still a chinese island now. People from taiwan should better not promote those thoughts based on independence to damage interest of whole chinese nationals. According to international conventions, China has its right to reponse to those people in a civil war either peacefully or not. Some taiwan people say the inependence is for taiwan people's interest, but they never think that it endangers the interests of the whole chinese world. so chinese people will do anything to protect taiwan province. 

See, there it goes again?  What did I just say...

There are always racist people out there.  The aboriginals have states.  It's the colonialists such as the Chinese people that didn't view them as human, so disregard their rightful claim to their own lands! 

It's the Chinese, Japanese and the Dutch drove these people off their lands, force them into labor when they are needed, and then kill them when they are inconvinient.

This is the same thing Americans did to the Native Americans.  It's the same thing that Spanish did to the Native Latin Americans.  It is aboriginals' land.  They had societies established all the way back to 6000 years ago.

It's 2004! Stop being such a colonialist!

Well , we dont want to fight our fellowmen from taiwan province. I dont think there is any realistic interest taiwan could get from a independence. We and You are both not saints, all want to fight a better life, not fight for a indenpentance. Taiwan needs the Mainland, and mainland can not lose taiwan.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:15

"It did not give Taiwan to ROC as a result.  ROC unlawfully took Taiwan before the treaty.  The treaty is only a peace treaty.  And it stated that Japan no longer claims the ownership of Taiwan and its islands.  "

There is nothing unlawful about it, ROC haven't broken any international law, since ther eis no article that gave taiwan to anyone, and land claims as I mentioned for the third time base heavily on soverignty rights in history in international law thus, China is justified to take Taiwan.

" But once again, in my original post, I did not use the word claim.  You are just argueing with yourself here."

Speaking of your original post, then your even further off, you said that China teaches its student that taiwan is related to them by blood, I have learned in China, and nothing of the sort is told because of blood, and what does teaching student have anything to do with what Jiang said?

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:53
Originally posted by General_Zhaoyun

I think, it was the chinese who first 'discovered' Taiwan . It was mentioned as "Yizhou" in 3 kingdoms history text 'Sanguozhi".

Lol, let's try to move away from the colonial period mindset, it was the aborigionese who discovered Taiwan, just like Christopher Columbus didn't discover anything.
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:35
Ok i think this thread is going in a round a bout way. Both sides have presented their arguments, but in actuality they don't contradict each other, because the reality is that if China attacks taiwan before taiwan declares independance, the US and most probably the rest of the world will condemn and exercise some form of punitive measures.

However if Taiwan declares independance, and moves to amend their constitution, the world will universally see that China has casus belli, and will turn a blind eye to an "invasion", that in a paper by a taiwanese general can begin at +2 hours and end by +48 hours.

If really Hansioux, is one of those taiwanese who seek independance, he had better be prepared to go alone to defend his belief, and forgot about getting a backer, as the US has said that they would condemn any move by taiwan to change the status quo.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:45

Originally posted by fastspawn

Ok i think this thread is going in a round a bout way. Both sides have presented their arguments, but in actuality they don't contradict each other, because the reality is that if China attacks taiwan before taiwan declares independance, the US and most probably the rest of the world will condemn and exercise some form of punitive measures.

ROC only accepted the surrender of Japanese forces in Taiwan on the behave of the entire allied forces.  After the war, before Japan declare they forfit their ownership of Taiwan, Taiwan is still Japanese territory but governed by the allied forces.  So after Japan gave up Taiwan, there is no mention of to which other country Taiwan is gien to.  That leaves Taiwan now under the juristiction of UN (1952), and UN at the time still give ROC incharge of Taiwan, since the Japanese of Taiwan surrendered to ROC (Taiwan was still in the UN until 1972).  At the establishment of UN, it is a UN charter that mandate that the future of the land in dispute after the war should be decided under the principle of self-determination by its inhabitants, by means of a public referendum, which would ask about the direction desired by the inhabitants of the region, before a verdict can be reached.

At which time the Nationalist Party decided to take Taiwan as its own.  Which they did a lot of propaganda to make the Chinese feel that it is justified.  In reality, this is an invasion on ROC's part.  That propaganda is carried by the PRC government, even though the the Nationalist dictator regime has been peacefully overthrown.

Now, let's talk about the title of a nation.

Just because the current Taiwanese government still has the official name of ROC, does not mean it is the same government. 

Reason:

The current government of Iraq, still uses the same name as the Saddam era, The Republic of Iraq.  Though it still carries that name, it is a entirely different government.

The current Taiwanese government does not use this official name because it chose to.  It is due to the history of Nationalist Party invasion and dictatorship, and the threat of war by the PRC that Taiwan is force to continue calling itself ROC.

Saying ROC is China is incorrect.  Current ROC territory does not include China in its constitution.  ROC is not China in any international communities.  Taiwan is a country, and its name is ROC.  That's as simple as it is.  It is like not every nation with the name Arabia in it owns the entire Arabian peninsula.

As much as the Chinese wants to say there is only one China and that China includes Taiwan, that is NOT the current situation.  The current situation is there is one China named PRC, and one Taiwan named ROC.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 14:37

"Saying ROC is China is incorrect.  Current ROC territory does not include China in its constitution.  ROC is not China in any international communities.  Taiwan is a country, and its name is ROC.  That's as simple as it is.  It is like not every nation with the name Arabia in it owns the entire Arabian peninsula."

There is nothing incorrect about it, ROC is not China in international communitie because in international communitie its but a part of the PRC, Taiwan is the ROC which is China, its as simple as that.

"As much as the Chinese wants to say there is only one China and that China includes Taiwan, that is NOT the current situation.  The current situation is there is one China named PRC, and one Taiwan named ROC."

No the current situation is one China two regime, and the ROC regime is declaring independence, if Taiwan is already a country there is no need to declare their "independence"

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 17:08

There is nothing incorrect about it, ROC is not China in international communitie because in international communitie its but a part of the PRC, Taiwan is the ROC which is China, its as simple as that.

Something is missing in this sentance I think.  I don't understand it fully.  Are you saying ROC is part of PRC?  That doesn't make any sense.  In UN, Taiwan does not belong to PRC, there is no international law that says Taiwan is part of PRC.  If there is, prove it.  Individual countries can say they agree with China's claim on Taiwan, but that's not the international law.  Because that can change when that country no longer feel like it.

No the current situation is one China two regime, and the ROC regime is declaring independence, if Taiwan is already a country there is no need to declare their "independence"

There is no two China regime.  ROC doesn't claim ownership of China since 1992.  In fact, this is what I've saying all along!  Taiwan is already a country, it's call ROC.  There is no need for Taiwan to declare independence.  Just needs to correct its name.  That has been said by President Chan Shui-Bian, and former president Lee Deng-Huei. 

Finally! you are getting it!  Thank goodness.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 06:38

The current Taiwanese government does not use this official name because it chose to.  It is due to the history of Nationalist Party invasion and dictatorship, and the threat of war by the PRC that Taiwan is force to continue calling itself ROC.

Saying ROC is China is incorrect.  Current ROC territory does not include China in its constitution.  ROC is not China in any international communities.  Taiwan is a country, and its name is ROC.  That's as simple as it is.  It is like not every nation with the name Arabia in it owns the entire Arabian peninsula.

As much as the Chinese wants to say there is only one China and that China includes Taiwan, that is NOT the current situation.  The current situation is there is one China named PRC, and one Taiwan named ROC.

The official ROC territory used to include mainland china, and that is a fact. It was only amended very recently.

Hansioux, the only reason Taiwan wants to split instead of reunifying is because it realizes it cannot reunify against its own terms. If the situation was that taiwan was powerful enough to unite both sides on their own terms i.e Taipei became the capital, they would gladly do so.

But as it stands, there is no way for taiwan to declare independance, because you guys used to want to covet the whole of china as your territory. Turning back now, is akin to being a coward, and i am sure you aren't one are you?
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 11:44
Originally posted by fastspawn

The official ROC territory used to include mainland china, and that is a fact. It was only amended very recently.

Hansioux, the only reason Taiwan wants to split instead of reunifying is because it realizes it cannot reunify against its own terms. If the situation was that taiwan was powerful enough to unite both sides on their own terms i.e Taipei became the capital, they would gladly do so.

But as it stands, there is no way for taiwan to declare independance, because you guys used to want to covet the whole of china as your territory. Turning back now, is akin to being a coward, and i am sure you aren't one are you?

Good Point..  

Its so sad to see few separalists in taiwan broke the whole harmony of chinese people

peaceful reunification is what we hope and dream.

What is Your Question Again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>