Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flag of Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flag of Japan
    Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:46
What ever happened to the sun's rays?
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:47
I thought it was the rising Sun.

Dari is a pimp master
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:56
Yea...that flag....Why did they change it to the setting sun?  the first one was so much more pretty.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:20
The sun rays flag was never the Janpanese flag.  It was their military flag.  
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:36
O...I never knew that....so the setting sun was always their national flag?
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:59

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

O...I never knew that....so the setting sun was always their national flag?

Yes, my grandpa remember learning to make the Japanese flag back in school.  As he recalls, takes a bowl , put red paint in it, and then dump it on the white flag.  Tada~ Japanese flag.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 14:14
Lol, how simple.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 18:44

Perhaps the reverse can be done as well.

Take a piece of red cloth, tie a knott in the center, dip the rest in Clorox bleach and ... maybe we get a tie dyed Japanese flag?

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 18:56
the one with the rays are from the Imperialist Japan. Today it is used by three types of people: the navy, the cartoon makers, and the far-right.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:46

Hey all,

The red circle is a setting sun, not a rising sun?  really?

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:55
From my experience, rising or setting, it's always red.....

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:56
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey all,

The red circle is a setting sun, not a rising sun?  really?

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Maybe it's just a sun. It's difficult for us to differentiate the sun between rising and setting...        Bu t I understand, Gubuk hope it is setting, I am the same 

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 22:30

Hey all,

I don't wanna sound sinocentric here, but it seems that the sun, as a symbol of Japan, has something to do with it being the farthest east in the known world of the past.  It's true that there's also the legend of the sun goddess, but one wonder this in the chicken and egg logic: did this legend become prevalent precisely because of Japan's "Eastness?"  In other words, we cannot insist that the sun goddess was the only legend in Japan and in the its patheon of kama.  The salience of the concept of the sun might be a cause, not an effect, of the popularity of the sun goddess.   After all, Japan, which is Latin Japon, pronounced "Ya pon," is an obvious variant of "Ri bun," "Ni pon," etc, which means "origin of the sun."

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:03

Hey all,

I don't wanna sound sinocentric here, but it seems that the sun, as a symbol of Japan, has something to do with it being the farthest east in the known world of the past.  It's true that there's also the legend of the sun goddess, but one wonder this in the chicken and egg logic: did this legend become prevalent precisely because of Japan's "Eastness?"  In other words, we cannot insist that the sun goddess was the only legend in Japan and in the its patheon of kama.  The salience of the concept of the sun might be a cause, not an effect, of the popularity of the sun goddess.   After all, Japan, which is Latin Japon, pronounced "Ya pon," is an obvious variant of "Ri bun," "Ni pon," etc, which means "origin of the sun."

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

I can provide some clues here.  You all know I'm one of the Han people in China. Han is the name of my people,it was named after Han Dynasty.But what was the name of my people before Han Dynasty. It's Hua Xia people. Hua means the rays of sun.  The first two emperors in Chinese history --- Emperor Yan and emperor Huang are named by 'fire'(i.e. meaning of the word Yan in Chinese) and Yellow(i.e. Huang,which is the color of earth).

In our  ancient legend, once there were ten suns in the sky, people were suffering by the dryness and hotness caused by the suns. One day, there appeared a hero who named Hou Yi, he shot down nine of the sun by his bow and saved his people.

another Chinese mythological story about sun 'Kua Fu chased the sun'Maybe someone else here could introduce it for you

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:55

Hey Hannibal,

Is the "Kua Fu chasing the sun" legend about this guy running to see the sun, and then, on the way there, he got thirsty, so he ran back to get some water, but on the way to get some water he died of thirt -- is that the one?  I forget where I read about this, but I'm pretty bummed by it =(

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:58

Originally posted by I/eye

Today it is used by three types of people: the navy, the cartoon makers, and the far-right.

you could you please provide an example where the far-right uses this flag?

YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 00:14

china has a kind of plaster paper used to relief people from muscle injury is just like the flag.

What is Your Question Again?
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 01:09

Hey Catt,

I think by far right he meant the conservatives in Japan, and these conservatives, I'm purely speculating, are the ones who are nostalgic of the "good old" Japanese imperialist days ("good old" for them, not for everyone else, of course.)

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 02:17

Actually... the first people to address themselves to China as King of where the sun rises is the Koguryos in Shuei dynasty.  Before that, ֩ (King Shao Hao, which is Sun in the Sky, probably same person as A) and ө (King Tai Hao, same character, probably same as Fz).  These two guys are from the ancient race of i (Yi).  Yes, same as Fi(Dong-Yi).... Since they are from the east, they are chose their name for that reason, as King of the Sun.  Since the Corean people is also descendents of the ancient Yi (not the only descendents), it makes sense why King of Koguryo would adress himself as such when address the Emperor Yang of Shuei Dynasty.  After all, he is to the east.  Saying F Dong in Chinese acutally means where the sun rise.  Just that people don't don't relate the two right away.

The name 饻 Japan, is actually given to the Japanese by the Emperess of Hou Chou, the only female emperor of China in the middle of the Tang dynasty.  The Japanese addressed themselves as People from where the sun rise.  It upset her a bit, but later on she gave them the name of 饻 and a seal to go with it.  Remeber, this is back when Japan was still not within the Asian interational community yet.

(King Yan) and (King Huang) you can argue if they are called that because they are the sun kings, but there is no proof.  You can guess all you want.  I can just as well say King Huang iis called that, because he's from e (Yellow river, Huang He).  And flame is not the same as sun is it?

Anyway......  just my regular bashing...

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 09:29

Hey Hannibal,

Is the "Kua Fu chasing the sun" legend about this guy running to see the sun, and then, on the way there, he got thirsty, so he ran back to get some water, but on the way to get some water he died of thirt -- is that the one?  I forget where I read about this, but I'm pretty bummed by it =(

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

The story:Kua Fu Chased the Sun, just reflected a desire of people in China since the immemorial times to conquer the nature. Kua Fu chased the sun because the hotness caused by the sun destoryed his people's happy life. A man Versus all mighty sun, isn't he a brave men?

hansioux ,maybe you are right in some details.  one's thing  is for sure, the worship of sun derived from China...

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>