Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone into art?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone into art?
    Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 12:48
My favorite art form is abstract, consisting of

Cubism - Pablo Picasso, George Braque
Neoplasticism - Piet Mondrian
Abstract Expressionism - Mark Rothko, Jack Pollock

to just mention a few. Anyone else interested in art?

Morty

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 12:51

I am not deep into it (like knowing who created what) but I do enjoy admiring. I like landscape and oriental miniatures.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 12:57
Oh Zagros, then you will like this site:

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=11588&URL_DO=DO _TOPIC&URL_SECTION=-459.html

some of these images are taken from the Collection of Al-Beruni Institute of Oriental Studies. I like oriental miniatures as well. I pretty much like all forms of art.

Morty
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 22:23
I like Byzantine iconography, specifically from the late period and from the Cretan and Constantinopolitan schools.  I also like medieval eastern and western manuscript illuminations.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 01:52
Orientalism and few other things.. I have around 30-40 Artists works about 140 hi/med res pics on the wildturks site gallery.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 02:03
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 17:05

Originally posted by morticia

My favorite art form is abstract, consisting of

Cubism - Pablo Picasso, George Braque
Neoplasticism - Piet Mondrian
Abstract Expressionism - Mark Rothko, Jack Pollock

to just mention a few. Anyone else interested in art?

Morty

I personally like Renaissance and Mannerism, especially Bernini and Caravaggio. I also find Greek sculpture beautiful, and Medieval painting/manuscripts have always fascinated me.

Other artists that I like include Michelangelo, Poussin, Delacroix, Gauguin and Kandinsky. Outside of Europe, I like Japanese painting, African sculpture and anything ancient.

Edited by Decebal
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 13:39

Decebel: Considering you're Canadian if you happen to be in Toronto or plan to be there is an exhibit from the Hermitage on its way opens in October.

Looks great.

http://www.iatwm.com/200509/CatherinetheGreat/index.html

Edited by lildiamond
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 10:20
I'm actually from Ottawa, 400 km away. Thanks for the tip though: I'll see if I can take a quick trip there.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 12:11
AP - Fri. Sep 9, 2005

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A valuable painting by Henri Matisse that disappeared into private hands more than 30 years ago has been acquired by New York's Museum of Modern Art which said on Thursday it would put it on show this month

Painted in strong red tones, "Plum Blossoms, Ochre Background" shows a woman with a blank face sitting at a table in front of a vase of flowers and fruit on a plate.

The work dates from 1948 and is one of his later paintings before his death in 1954, the museum said in a statement. It was last seen in public in Paris at the Grand Palais in 1970 and was then sold to an unidentified buyer.

The museum does not disclose financial details of its acquisitions but The New York Times said a work of such rarity would probably sell for around $25 million, taking into account its size of nearly 3 feet by 4 feet.

Can you imagine $25 Million for a 3'x4' painting? WOW!!!
I wonder if that will now jack up the price of a giant BOTERO!!

Morty

little tin goddess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote little tin goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 10:03

i do a bit of painting (when i'm bored and have the money for canvas!) and these days lots of photoshop art. i really enjoy it plus i do quite a bit of it at uni. so i'm into a lot of contemporary art most of all.

also for those into surrealists i visited dali's museum in spain (quite a feat coming from australia) where his coffin is and everything. was an amazing experience for me. i was 14 at the time.

Edited by little tin goddess
what do i need you for when i have wings to fly?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 10:31
I'm a sucker for Vermeer and some of van Gogh's stuff myself.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 14:24

i know i do,

i love art and yeah...... artist and designers are the creator of a culture.... example the winged hussar's armor, the Bavarian Musketeer's uniform and the Victoria, the Ship which wrecked the French and Spanish, think about it, who created and designed them xD

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 14:52
I have always been a fan of art, though I do not like contemporary art very much.....
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
 Post Reply Post Reply