Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Axis & Allies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axis & Allies
    Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 21:40
I just bought the PC version for $29 and since I am such an A&A fan there is no way I will regret the price, however;

One alarming discovery is that there is no navy represented and the planes are not isolated pieces but integrated within infantry or armor in other words there are no Bombers and fighters to just do random bombings/attacks and the seas are completely free of subs or u-boats or aircraft carriers. I am really disappointed.   

In the world campaign mode I can only choose one side to control and so far the AI has cost me every single victory by playing completely retarded and I can not adjust the AI.   Unbelievable.

I have to say the world campaign just sux... WTH Atari?   

Edited by dirtnap
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 08:01
Axis and Allies is kind of like Risk. I played it once at a friend's house. There are some differences though. Never got to play the world campaign.

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 15:58
There are huge differences as I have 3 different Risk versions I play right now. A & A is at another level completely. Risk is great for quick campaigns and A & A is great for more in depth lengthy campaigns against skilled adversaries but this PC version of A & A truly pales in comparison.

I can not imagine why they would leave out the naval campaigns and significantly limit the aerial campaigns if you want to even call it that. I am just disappointed because it is like they released the game half complete. The graphics are nice and the custom campaigns are really detailed and engaging but the world campaign is really half of what it could and should be.

Edited by dirtnap
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 08:26
Eh, there are naval units AFAIK, subs, destroyers, battleships, carriers and transports.
A new rule thing adds another class of ship IIRC (or maybe that was the destrpyer).

BTW, you could have saved yourself $29 and gotten it for free here

Arrrgh!!"
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 12:40
Hmm, not sure what you mean? Atari's PC version of the game is really graphical and challenging, no waste of money at all but I see only attached pieces and no navy represented on the map in the world campaign mode, just in the individual battle sequences. They have attached abilities but there is no challenge from sea to sea. You just pass right over them unscathed.

BUT WHO CARES...

Your link is EXACTLY what I have wanted. Thank you for passing it along. Unbelievable that it is free. Very cool...

Edited by dirtnap
 Post Reply Post Reply