Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your opinion of the Egyptian elections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your opinion of the Egyptian elections
    Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 00:49
Please do share your opinions of the Egyptian elections here. Feel free to compare and contrast it with other elections. I think that, contrary to its legitemacy, it will most likely be advertised in history as the first step towards democratization of the region. 

The news is very recent and you shouldn't have any trouble finding articles on it.
I look forward to reading your opinions.

Thanks
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 01:46
what election
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 04:57
Brainwashed people re-electing someone the vast bulk of the population blindly exalts and reveres to the level of becoming violently protective of him. I would call it less an election than an international public relations ceremony designed to win Mubarak some approving nods from the nations he is able to fool.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 05:33
yeah thats pretty much it.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 08:34
Elections? I thought it was a meeting of the Hosni Mubarak fan club.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 09:05

We don't have elections here, unfortunately. But at least we can say no Elections clearly and not being fooled with a ceremonial elections.

But I heard Mubarak won again? I hope he used a little reasonable winning percentage this time than his last time percentage of 99.6%

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 11:52
Egypt 2005 = Mexico 1970
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 12:39
Was 1970 that election in which no other candidate even tried to participate?
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 18:52
The turnout was only 23%, which is extremely disastrous for a country that Bush claims is almost on its way to being a democratic country! Other than that, I believe Hosni Mubarak has put on a show to gain some legitimacy in the eyes of the international community.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 03:39
Originally posted by Aydin

The turnout was only 23%, which is extremely disastrous for a country that Bush claims is almost on its way to being a democratic country! Other than that, I believe Hosni Mubarak has put on a show to gain some legitimacy in the eyes of the international community.

Well 23% constitutes everyone who cares or is physically able to vote. Better than compulsory voting like we have here, driving the uninformed and apathetic to the polls.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 03:57

well it was a stupid election but still i would say its better than nothing.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 07:58
Originally posted by azimuth

well it was a stupid election but still i would say its better than nothing.

I wouldn't say that. Now there has been an election Mubarak has something to justify his dictatorship.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 08:08

In all Arabic World only in Iraq we got a free election.

I think we are on the right way to democracy.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 09:31
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Was 1970 that election in which no other candidate even tried to participate?

That happened in 1976, when the National Action Party (PAN) didn't have a candidate for president, and "leftist" parties endorsed the government candidate.

The reason why I used 1970 was because the anti-democratic government was very strong at this point. During the 1970s there was a trend to grant some democratic concessions.

I had problems getting confirming this information. Let's talk privately about resources on Mexican history.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 17:58
What about Afghanistan Ahmed?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 20:51
Afghanistan look slike more a sucess story than Iraq could ever be.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 22:49

Ahmed can correct me on that, however, Iraq is a very diverse land & only democracy that will work there is a non-parliment democracy as people can directly elect their president, vice president and so...

The parlimentary democracy in Iraq is actually encouraging the current division between Shiites, Sunnies, Kurds, Turkmen, as each parliment member will represent his circle and later, they will decide the president and the prime minister based on the ethnic structure of the parliment rather than the bigger representative picture of all Iraqi people. Democracy of direct election is better than parlimentary democracy as sunni coaltaion vs Kurdi coalation vs shiite coalation and then Turkmen in one coalation too are busy in confrontation rather than implementing policies and testing people's responses and reactions. This will insure that who ever will come to the top of decision making will work to satisfy all the Iraqi sects rather than his coalation.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 22:56

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Well 23% constitutes everyone who cares or is physically able to vote. Better than compulsory voting like we have here, driving the uninformed and apathetic to the polls.

Where is it complusory voting Constantine?

D.J. Kaufman
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 23:00
well I've always had respect for Hosni Mubarak, and now, I admire him even more. He proved his intelligence. by this election (fake competetion or whatever) he successfuly prevented an eventual revolution. so unlike other Arab leaders and Iran's Mullas.

Besides, Ahmed I don't think Iraq is having a free election. That'd be impossible to control... remember, "they" must control the country and controling the country requires controling the elections (unfortunately).

And also Afghanistan is not an Arab country SearchAndDestroy.
َ
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 23:01
I feel like a bee who comes here once in a while, stings a couple of topics, turns up and down a few and fades out
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>